Mike Wallace to Pats? talk heating up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Mike Wallace to Pats? talk heating up

In Response to Re: Mike Wallace to Pats? talk heating up:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Wallace to Pats? talk heating up : Do you think other teams are going to see Welker's skills translating well into their systems?  I think a lot of teams are going to see Welker as a guy who can succeed with the Pats and Brady but may not succeed as well with their QBs and systems. 

Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I don't think Welker would get what Marshall did in trade for this reason, as well as age and durability concerns.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Wallace to Pats? talk heating up : I think Welker would succeed anywhere.  He caught 67 balls his last year in Miami then of course his production nearly doubled with Brady.  But Brady even made Reche Caldwell look good.  Caldwell caught 67 balls in 2006 from Brady and never managed more than 28 in his other 5 seasons. Wallace would tear it up in NE.  We don't need to distribute 120 balls to the slot anyway.  70-80 is more than enough with our TEs and Wallace.  As for Welker's value, seeing what Mega Tron got and Welker's numbers are better, he damn sure would net us a 1st and 2nd or a pair of 2nds.  Maybe a 2nd this year, 1st next year. It sure has been quiet.  The Pats are planning something and it's usually brilliant that nobody saw coming, except maybe TexasPat.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Agree...TP has a great idea, and one I can see happening if the Amendola rumors prove true.

Lets assume for a second the Amendola rumors are not true. THat he was not spotted and the Pats have no interest. Does anyone think we could still make a trade for Welker? With Hern and Edelman, maybe even Vereen from time to time, that would see like enough bodies playing the spot without a huge drop in production. We could still trade Wes for a 1st, grab Wallace, pay him Wes money, and then draft a TE or sign Boss (if he hasn't already been signed) to "replace" Hern at TE. 

We come out of the deal with 
    1. 2 1st ROund picks in 2012 (we didn't lose any)
    2. Wallace
    3. Boss
    4. AND, we didn't give up a second for Amendola

We could always use that 2nd on a TE if we didn't sign Boss for example. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think we'd get a first round pick for Welker and certainly not a first and second, I think if they could he'd be gone by now. I'd be real happy with a first and not disappointed with a second (if he's replaced properly...I'm not talking about signing Anthony Gonzalez and calling it a day).

I got to think the slot guys they're supposedly interested in as of late, are them trying to send signals to Welker's camp that they're not afraid to move on...so lower your demands.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I believe the reason they are looking at cheap guys like Gonzy and Danny and the reason they havent signed Wes longterm yet is becaue our offense is evolving. Remember most of Wes' snaps came from outside the #'s this past year.

We have 2 of the best tight ends in the league and will play a lot of 12 personell  going forward so why break the bank on a part time position?

If you consider the percentage of our offense that goes through #87 and #81, and then consider we will run more next year with the young guys, there is not much need for a BIg time Slot guy. This is why I think they are being cheap here and why the may look to a real # 1 like Wallace or someone else.

We only need 4th and 5th Wr's for maybe 5 to 10 offensive snaps a game where we spread teams out, but I like the 2 TE, playaction offense and Im assuming Joshy will too seeing as Brady has always been one of the best playaction passers and is great at ball faking.

All we really need are decent 3rd and 4th options as we have our 4th and 5th guys in Edleman and Underwoood.

You add your # 1 and add him with Ocho or someone else and thats it. One Free Agent/Trade, and one Draftee/prjoect guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

If the Pats think it a good deal to swap Wes for Wallace, wouldn't the majority of teams interested in Wes first try to grab Wallace for themselves. Maybe a team would rather not give up a high first this year and have Wes over Wallace, if so then why would we rather have Wallace? Wes is proven, getting older but still just 30, and a known producer in our system. If the plan is to replace him with Amendola ( costing a second ) then it is mostly a zero sum advantage based on picks and $.

The deal is possibly Wallace/Amendola or Welker straight up.

Amendola is nice but not a big deciding factor here id say. He is an unknown and debatable if he would have better production over Edleman if both given equal reps.

So thats makes this Wallace vs Welker, all else close to equal. ( we can debate the trade on whats picks we get back from Wes but 31st pick this year i bet is close to equal on value chart )

Wallace is unproven in chemistry with Brady, Welker is. We have no good threat equal to Wallace but if we lose Welker we also have no good slot. I say the majority would lean to Drafting the vertical threat WR and keeping what you know works in Wes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]I believe the reason they are looking at cheap guys like Gonzy and Danny and the reason they havent signed Wes longterm yet is becaue our offense is evolving. Remember most of Wes' snaps came from outside the #'s this past year. We have 2 of the best tight ends in the league and will play a lot of 12 personell  going forward so why break the bank on a part time position? If you consider the percentage of our offense that goes through #87 and #81, and then consider we will run more next year with the young guys, there is not much need for a BIg time Slot guy. This is why I think they are being cheap here and why the may look to a real # 1 like Wallace or someone else. We only need 4th and 5th Wr's for maybe 5 to 10 offensive snaps a game where we spread teams out, but I like the 2 TE, playaction offense and Im assuming Joshy will too seeing as Brady has always been one of the best playaction passers and is great at ball faking. All we really need are decent 3rd and 4th options as we have our 4th and 5th guys in Edleman and Underwoood. You add your # 1 and add him with Ocho or someone else and thats it. One Free Agent/Trade, and one Draftee/prjoect guy.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I agree with you in the fact our 2 TE's limit the need for Wes going forward and would say RB's like Vereen and Woody seeing more throws this year.

I think we don't want Wallace or Wes for 10M cap hit. In our offense Wallace would not be a #1 option, he is a #3 option and for the price it is to much. Bring in a mid lvl FA and draft a legit talent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

this is a dead horse not gonna happen patriots were not gonna spend big $$$ on mario so they certainly not gonna over endulge on another reciever when you dont need him u got gronk welk hernandez, hopefully lloyd, then your done shopping with big $$ at this position gonzolez wont cost much. if anything like to see them move up and grab nd floyd but i dont see that happening either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

wont happen

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

I'm hoping it doesn't happen if we lose Welker and get cash strapped in the process. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

In response to "Mike Wallace to Pats? talk heating up": [QUOTE]Wallace talk is heating back up.  Can anyone name a player we could likely draft at 31 which would have a more immediate impact on this team?  I can't. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] Offer up 4 years 40 million with 25 guaranteed. Force the cap strapped Steelers to match it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Mike Wallace to Pats? talk heating up": Offer up 4 years 40 million with 25 guaranteed. Force the cap strapped Steelers to match it.
    Posted by teibore1[/QUOTE]

Who says Wallace will take that? Have you seen some of the crazy WR contracts being given out?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Mike Wallace to Pats? talk heating up": Offer up 4 years 40 million with 25 guaranteed. Force the cap strapped Steelers to match it.
    Posted by teibore1[/QUOTE]

I am very glad you aren't in charge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Would he take 4/40? Probably.

His other option is to take 1/1.5, then hit FA. Where he'll get 12ish a year, so 4 years from RFA he'll make about 37.5 staying this year, THEN leaving, or about 40 for leaving NOW.

This doesn't take an econ professor.

And he'd be the 3rd option on this team? I mean, maybe on paper...but they don't play games on paper, they play them inside my television box. (Yes BOX to all you panel lovers)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Lloyd signing pretty much puts an end to the Wallace talk.  We have about $1MM of cap space by my reckoning.  This is unless of course we trade Welker.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

If BB isnt' going to pony up the funds to sign Williams, he CERTAINLY isn't going to give up a 1st rounder and all the money needed to Wallace. I honestly don't think BB even blinked an eye about even trying to get Wallace.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Llyod ends wallace discussion period

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

$$$$

If Wallace wanted to win more than he wanted to get paid he would be a Patriot. 

Some of these guys can play for whoever they want to but chose the $ instead... I can't judge them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Lloyd's addition ends the Wallace discussion.

Sections
Shortcuts