Mike Wright #1 in NFL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Mike Wright #1 in NFL?

Hey all you "we need to get a pass rusher" folks, defensive end Mike Wright was just listed as the NFL's #1 pass rusher among all interior linemen.  He was out there practicing with the locked-out players recently.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/22/three-years-of-pass-rushing-productivity-interior-defensive-linemen/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Re: Mike Wright #1 in NFL?

In Response to Mike Wright #1 in NFL?:
    Hey all you "we need to get a pass rusher" folks, defensive end Mike Wright was just listed as the NFL's #1 pass rusher among all interior linemen.  He was out there practicing with the locked-out players recently. http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/22/three-years-of-pass-rushing-productivity-interior-defensive-linemen/
    Posted by Paul_K

good find.  I like Wright, but color me a little surprised

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

So much whining about the pass rush on here.  What we really need to whine about is the long snapping.  This team has no long snap!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

also interesting to see Spikes and Mayo at #1 and #4 in the tackles/missed tackles category.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

We already knew he was a force on 3rd down. He was sorely missed in the post-season. 

The issue is generating more edge rush, which is a different matter altogether.In the modern NFL you really need complete pressure across the line. NE gets some up the middle but has trouble bringing it around the edge.

All told, though, the defense should improve simply by getting Bodden, Warren, Wright back together on the field, and by seeing another year in maturity for the younger folks. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Who knew? Start warming up the duk boats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Agreed Zbellino.

don't forget Marcus Stroud on third downs as well. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Ok for starters I'm not one of the alarmists wailing bout not taking an early pass rusher but you do realize the source of this article is profootballfocus the mouth breathers who said Brady wasnt even top 10 in their MVP rankings and listed him as 32 I think in their best players rankings. They are european nerds who have never even been to a football game(true story) So unless you trust soccer hooligans for your NFL info give this euro-trash a pass.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

and #2 is in my potty.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Mike Wright #1 in NFL?:
    also interesting to see Spikes and Mayo at #1 and #4 in the tackles/missed tackles category.
    Posted by fatsam72

What? Mayo doesn't miss tackles, and if you insist on telling me otherwise I'll stick my head in the sand until you go away.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Interesting Seymour is still doing well and high on the DL lists

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Ok for starters I'm not one of the alarmists wailing bout not taking an early pass rusher but you do realize the source of this article is profootballfocus the mouth breathers who said Brady wasnt even top 10 in their MVP rankings and listed him as 32 I think in their best players rankings. They are european nerds who have never even been to a football game(true story) So unless you trust soccer hooligans for your NFL info give this euro-trash a pass.
    Posted by tenacioust

You might be the only sane person on here

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

"What? Mayo doesn't miss tackles, and if you insist on telling me otherwise I'll stick my head in the sand until you go away."

No.  Ranking signifies them as being the 1st and 4th respectively - BEST in NOT missing tackles.  Sorry, could have been clearer. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

So much whining about the pass rush on here.  What we really need to whine about is the long snapping.  This team has no long snap!
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Mighty Lee Smith the tight end we took in this draft is a long snapper, problem solved...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Stroud on 3rd down!?! Watch out for that guy. He'll calcify before he hits the QB. In all seriousness, no way he plays on third down with Pryor and Wright healthy. 

Interior rush should improve with health, while hopefully outside rush improves with a better JC. With everyone down on TBC maybe he even performs this year (see two years ago).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I didn't see that killa. That could be good news for this year. BB wouldn't give TBC that money if he thought he were a JAG, so I wouldn't be surprised to see TBC have a good year. I'm also a fan of Ninkovich. I think he's actually underrated. You put him next to Richard Seymour instead of Ron Brace and I think Nin's numbers would be very close to Vrable's. 

Cunningham seems to have put together an offseason full of wind sprints and hard work, so I don't see why he wouldn't improve.

TBC played with an injured groin last year, it was on BDC a few months back so thats why he didnt play well last year. Cunningham is on his way up IMO. But I agree with you on Stroud, he has not been a 3rd down player since he was with the Jags. He is just a big body at this point. Not a pass rusher.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Hmmm…. I was thinking Stroud on 3rd downs in a Big Nickel package with a 4 man line.  The Pats opened last year in the Big Nickel formation against the Bengal’s 3 wide set. 

The front line was Wright / Pryor / Wilfork / Brace.  (thanks patspropaganda.com)

I would replace Brace with Stroud as he may be better at penetrating on a four man line (see Jacksonville).  Of coarse, if Stroud has lost a step then Deaderick or Brace could be the answer at RDE in this package.   

Stroud may have struggled last year because he was asked to two gap in a 3-4.  I can see the Pats bringing him in specifically for sub packages. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Hmmm. I don't remember them having that personnel on a third down play. They typically have an interior of Wright/Pryor and exterior rusher like TBC and Moore (had Crable play here some...barf). I see what you are saying though if they go with a 4 man, run stuffing line paired with Wilfork. That being said, I actually hope Deadrick and Brace (and even Love) are better than Stroud but you never know. I'm suspect of anyone on that bills dline last year. Just bad.

Hmmm…. I was thinking Stroud on 3 rd downs in a Big Nickel package with a 4 man line.   The Pats opened last year in the Big Nickel formation against the Bengal’s 3 wide set.   The front line was Wright / Pryor / Wilfork / Brace.   (thanks patspropaganda.com)   I would replace Brace with Stroud as he may be better at penetrating on a four man line (see Jacksonville).   Of coarse, if Stroud has lost a step then Deaderick or Brace could be the answer at RDE in this package.      Stroud may have struggled last year because he was asked to two gap in a 3-4.   I can see the Pats bringing him in specifically for sub packages.  
    Posted by ZachRudy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I agree Brace in a man eater. He looks bigger and stronger than Vince in person (and on the field) and has had some huge stops. I just don't think any of these guys has the potential to be a Seymour type pass rusher though that Vrabes had next to him. Maybe Deadrick? He had some good pressure against SD and Balt. 

With Ty Warran back and Ron Brace hopefully getting another year better then guys like Ninc and maybe even Matt Roth should have good seasons on this team. Brace is a man eater who will get double teamed on some plays. If he can get better he could get double teamed more then we think since he is a huge body.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Brace is no pass rusher.  He has no forward explosion whatsoever.  He has brute force, he's a human avalanche, either double team him or don't run straight at him.  He's not a third-and-long kind of guy.  Give him third and short.

A four man front on third and long is inappropriate.  If the other team runs on third and long, let the runner get maybe five useless yards and then bring on the fourth down unit.  Usually NFL teams go with a three man subpackage with various fast linebackers and defensive backs either blitzing or dropping into coverage.  BB sometimes goes with two down linemen on third and very long.  On a Hail Mary pass BB goes with Vince Wilfork alone on the line, and drops the other 10 guys into endzone coverage. 

A Wilfork/Wright/Stroud 3 man line would be appropriate for third and 8.  Ty Warren is primarily a run stopper but at least he can run faster than Brace, and Ty can occasionally bull-rush his man into the quarterback's lap.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I have been contemplating the Pat's 3rd down defense because that is the down the Pats struggled with.  I think the return of Bodden actually improves two positions: outside corner and slot corner.  Bodden on the outside is obvious but his return allows arrington to move into the slot. at 5' 10", I think Arrignton has the build and quickness to play the slot effectively.  Arrington also has the strength to take on bigger players (remember Pats lined him up on the line a couple times).

Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Meriweather, Chung is a mean Nickel backfield.

Up front (as mentioned above) the return of Mike Wright and Myron Pryor greatly improves the interior rush.  Both seem to be pretty good at shooting gaps.   I would couple Wright and Pryor with Wilfork or Brace (in a 3 - 3 - 5) or Moore and Cunningham (in a 4 - 2 - 5 attacking pass rush).

I think a 4 - 2 - 5 could be pretty effective with Mayo and Fletcher as the linebackers.  Both Mayo and Fletcher are quick enough to cover sideline to sideline and are both sure tacklers.

Bottom line- with the return of Mike Wright, Myron Pryor, Ty Warren, Leigh Bodden (and possible addition of Marcus Stroud) I see this defense improving 10 fold. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have been contemplating the Pat's 3rd down defense because that is the down the Pats struggled with.  I think the return of Bodden actually improves two positions: outside corner and slot corner.  Bodden on the outside is obvious but his return allows arrington to move into the slot. at 5' 10", I think Arrignton has the build and quickness to play the slot effectively.  Arrington also has the strength to take on bigger players (remember Pats lined him up on the line a couple times). Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Meriweather, Chung is a mean Nickel backfield. Up front (as mentioned above) the return of Mike Wright and Myron Pryor greatly improves the interior rush.  Both seem to be pretty good at shooting gaps.   I would couple Wright and Pryor with Wilfork or Brace (in a 3 - 3 - 5) or Moore and Cunningham (in a 4 - 2 - 5 attacking pass rush). I think a 4 - 2 - 5 could be pretty effective with Mayo and Fletcher as the linebackers.  Both Mayo and Fletcher are quick enough to cover sideline to sideline and are both sure tacklers. Bottom line- with the return of Mike Wright, Myron Pryor, Ty Warren, Leigh Bodden (and possible addition of Marcus Stroud) I see this defense improving 10 fold. 
    Posted by ZachRudy

I'm glad that BB got Ras-I Dowling with a pretty high pick, because Meriweather gets called out as a jerk in this video:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-Matt-Flynn-vs-the-Patriots.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

He's a real good player...hope he can come back...http://60maxpowero.com

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'm a big Mike Wright fan since he played at Cincinnati. The guy has made it against all odds. I hope his head injury is healed and he can get back on the field. I think he was effective as a pass rusher and when he went down Our D wasn't as effective.

Sections
Shortcuts