Missing Dez Bryant mistake?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonMucker. Show BostonMucker's posts

Missing Dez Bryant mistake?

Since the kid had not done anything ilegal,why not at least send Brady for a visit and see what he thought.A workout and interview,this kid could have been a steal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake?

Shouldn't we see if he can play before we label him a "steal"? 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Missing Dez Bryant mistake?:
    Since the kid had not done anything ilegal,why not at least send Brady for a visit and see what he thought.A workout and interview,this kid could have been a steal.
    Posted by BostonMucker

Whether or not he did anything illegal is irrelevant. Its all about attitude and Bryant's attitude is pizz-poor. He's a head case and not a Pats' type player by a long stretch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonMucker. Show BostonMucker's posts

In Response to Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake?:
    Shouldn't we see if he can play before we label him a "steal"? 
    Posted by 123meg

Hence the phrase could have.Brady needs weapons.If we had a mediocre QB I would never take a receiver in the first round,but with Brady there you instantly improve your tema especially in the redzone and in ball control,their weakest statistical categories.By the way Cunningham was huge risk ,he wil be a bust .You heard it here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonMucker. Show BostonMucker's posts

Only if he could play Linebacker, Defensive Line, or Defensive Back. If our 1st round pick turns out to be shutdown corner, everbody is going to say Bill was a genius. I like this pick and all of them we got. Draft is over move on.
    Posted by bobbysu

I can't say I disagree with you but when you have a QB like Brady you improve your team exponentially when you get a great recevier,I would have like to hear what Brady thought.I like  Mc at cornner,but they could have gotten him and Bryant.Spikes was a great pick but Cunningham has bust potential.I have an extended family in FLA. who are huge Fla. fans and recently I have become one.I don't know what BB saw in this kid, he ends his pursuit early and when the play comes back he is out of position to make a tackle.All his plays are when he is untouched,one block and he's done.Nobody had this guy rated anywhere near where he was taken and I'm talking real scouts.
    They could have filled all those needs and still got Bryant.It would have had great return and U still could have used all those seconds to secure more picks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonMucker. Show BostonMucker's posts

In Response to Missing Dez Bryant mistake? : Whether or not he did anything illegal is irrelevant. Its all about attitude and Bryant's attitude is pizz-poor. He's a head case and not a Pats' type player by a long stretch.
    Posted by unclealfie

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonMucker. Show BostonMucker's posts

In Response to Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake? :
    Posted by BostonMucker

How do you know all this?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

You just don't draft a WR in the first round when you have problems in other areas, especially on defense.

Bryant would have been a foolish pick IMO......just like drafting David Terrell or Koren Robinson instead of Seymour would have been a foolish pick back in the 2001 draft, despite the media's protestations to the contrary; because the 2000 team that went 5-11 did so because their defense was lousy, not because Bledsoe didn't have enough weapons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake? : Hence the phrase could have.Brady needs weapons.If we had a mediocre QB I would never take a receiver in the first round,but with Brady there you instantly improve your tema especially in the redzone and in ball control,their weakest statistical categories.By the way Cunningham was huge risk ,he wil be a bust .You heard it here.
    Posted by BostonMucker

After looking him over again, Cunningham might be a defensive linebacker project (or he might have hidden experience like Mayo had).  Great physical tools but needs a year of NFL experience to blossom.  If he gets disastrously injured or dinged in the first year then he's out and you'll be proved right, but that scale of injury doesn't usually happen.  Like everybody else in the NFL, he wasn't drafted to be a bust. 

Right now I trust the Kraft scouting organization to be right more often than not.  Somebody or other selected a team with a 107-37 record since 2001.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Missing Breakfast is a mistake. It's the most important meal of the day. Missing Dez Bryant is cold, calculated intelligence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Maybe Dez Bryant turns out to be Randy Moss, but more likely he ends up like Hart Lee Dykes.

Generally, rookies don't do much for the Pats.  Parcells hated playing them.  However, if they bother to use them as receivers, Gronk and Herandez could make solid contributions their first year.  Gronk should be a monster at the goal line.  Good luck to anyone trying to cover him.

Belichick has been reluctant to draft an OLB, but he must see something in Cunningham.  From the tape I have seen, he has size and speed. He also has long arms and massive hands.  On several plays he reaches out over the blocker and grabs a QB with one hand and flings him to the ground.

Because of the switch from DE, I don't expect to see much of him at first.  Remember that Bruschi, a DE in college, was used sparingly as a rookie.  It took him a few years to develop.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I still don't get it. What's so great about Bryant?  I don't think his play is good enough to be a star, I think he will be a pretty good WR but not an all pro.  I'm thinking he's Ochocinco, but maybe not as good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Dez Bryant was a good pick for the Cowboys, maybe not so much for the Patriots.
    He can make a top offense even better if he pans out (all draft picks have the "if" attached until they suit up in games)
    The Pats need help in their run defense. (In case you forgot..check out the ravens putting 230 on the ground vs NE at home in the playoffs..70+ Ray Rice run on the first play from scrimmage.)
    I'll take any players from U of F. They are solid on both offense and defense and have the most talent in college football. Urban Meyer and BB have mutual love. They had 7 players drafted..more than any other team. Pats also got a DE from bama..team that beat them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Missing Dez Bryant mistake?:
    Posted by BostonMucker

The kid suffers from a bad case of immaturity.  It's going to cost him too as it did in the draft.  So far he has shown up in camp out of shape, throwing up and then gets hurt which could have been because of his poor conditioning.  I wouldn't  waste Brady's time.  The kid is a poor, poor interviewer.  He can hardly put two words together.  Another sign of not being prepared or immaturity.

The pluses on Bryant are these:  He has great hands and will catch the ball in traffic.  His size is a problem for DBs.
    His minuses:  Immaturity, questionable route skills and speed.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

If Dez Bryant becomes the next Brandon Marshall so be it.  Even then, you still have to deal with major chemistry issues on an on-going basis.  As it stands right now, I like the potential of the young WRs on the roster.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake

In Response to Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake:
    Pats Run D was actually pretty solid. The Ravens can really run it and those two runs, although clearly crappy D, aren't really representative of a team that led the NFL in rushing TDs allowed. I am not sure if people are aware of this.  They had holes, especially setting the edge. No doubt, but I also think their Run D complaints are very much overrated. Warren and Green were dinged up all year (Green is a not 3-4 DE anyway), Adalius quit and TBC is trying to improve his skills in that area. I expect them to be MUCH better in this area this year on the edge. Why is it that fans lock on to so few examples and use those as ways to explain a problem pattern? SB 42 they lost, the sky fell. Brady went down.  Trolls and haters think Brady si done. They rebuild on the fly on D, replacing 4 Pro Bowl caliber players, some HOFers possibly in the future, and they are "regressing". I just dont' buy it. Give me more rebuilding, more experience, competition at weak spots and I'll be happy as they move forward. That said, I do agree it was the edges that need to be cleaned up, not down the middle.  Wiflork is a beast and I hope McKenzie or Spikes can help out Mayo.
    Posted by russgriswold

Well said.  I agree 100%.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Belichick was never going to draft a WR in round 1. He learned his lesson with Chad Jackson. 

You take the safe pick in round 1, then you go get flash in the later rounds. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Yawn!  To see Dez's future, just look across the field to his team mate Roy Williams. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

It is the Opportunity cost

Last year - we lost out on Michael Oher and Clay Matthews.

This year, possibly Dez Bryant.  

My opinion, Bryant will have a nice season in Dallas.  They have an explosive offense and play 12 of their games in a controlled/domed stadium.   They will be passing.  Bryant should have an ample share of targets

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Dez Bryant may have a solid season, but I still don't think he was the right pick for the Pats in round 1. The Pats absolutely drafted the right guy in McCourty as we need a top notch corner to improve our pass defense especially given what the rest of the AFC east has done in the off-season.

Holt, Patton, Tate and Price are solid enough to get us through 2010 and put up points. If Moss leaves next year, we have the ammo in 2011 to draft a top WR that I think is better than Bryant in AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin, and Michael Floyd. 
    If we add one of the above WR's plus Mark Ingram, the Patriots will be scary good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: It is the Opportunity cost

In Response to It is the Opportunity cost:
    Last year - we lost out on Michael Oher and Clay Matthews. This year, possibly Dez Bryant.   My opinion, Bryant will have a nice season in Dallas.  They have an explosive offense and play 12 of their games in a controlled/domed stadium.   They will be passing.  Bryant should have an ample share of targets
    Posted by rolltide1963

Passing up on Oher bothered me.  Didn't understand it.  It wasn't like the Pats couldn't use a tackle at the time.  Matthews is a hindsighted look at things which bugs me to no end.  Sometimes you miss!  Bryant I am on record as saying the Pats did the right thing on passing up on this guy.  His immaturity is a huge issue.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree Gary...Oher would have been a nice addition. But if they drafted Oher, they would have lost out on Butler, Chung or possibly both..perhaps even Edelman. Looking back on it, I'm glad we cashed the pick in, because I think Chung is going to be good, and Butler is a starter on a defense that desperately needs good corners. 
    Brace..well, we could have passed on him for sure. 

I wouldn't have predicted Matthews would have that good a year. It was hard to given his lack of playing time at USC. I think the guy was a 1 year starter?...Like you said, hindsight.

Again, I'm glad we passed on Dez Bryant. Any chance to keep Deion Sanders away from the Pats organization, I'm jumping at it. Dez went to a place where he, Deion can be best buddies and laugh and joke all day about how much money Jerry gives him...Plus Dez is not known as the smartest apple on the tree either. He has physical ability, but in a complex system, I think he craps the bed. Tell him to run fast and in a straight line and he'll make a catch all day long. Tell him to spot a soft spot in a zone, break his route short and sit in it, he he has no idea what to do. 
    We need smart WR's on this team, not just physical ones. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 305PhinPhan. Show 305PhinPhan's posts

Even though Moss is getting up there in age and most likely out as a Pat next year and Welker will be out for possibly half the season I think WR is the last thing the Pats need to worry about. When you have a QB like Brady he doesn't need all pro wide receivers to move the ball and he is one of the few QB's in the NFL that can. Before Welker and Moss came to town who did Brady really have? He still managed to put up good numbers and win games, having a pro wide receiver is just a luxury when you have a Brady on your team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: Missing Dez Bryant mistake? : I can't say I disagree with you but when you have a QB like Brady you improve your team exponentially when you get a great recevier,I would have like to hear what Brady thought.I like  Mc at cornner,but they could have gotten him and Bryant.Spikes was a great pick but Cunningham has bust potential.I have an extended family in FLA. who are huge Fla. fans and recently I have become one.I don't know what BB saw in this kid, he ends his pursuit early and when the play comes back he is out of position to make a tackle.All his plays are when he is untouched,one block and he's done.Nobody had this guy rated anywhere near where he was taken and I'm talking real scouts. They could have filled all those needs and still got Bryant.It would have had great return and U still could have used all those seconds to secure more picks.
    Posted by BostonMucker
    First of all The Patriots had Dez Bryant in just before the draft so evidently they weren't interested in him,secondly I live in Florida and love Cunningham,the guy who didn't finish his plays was Dunlap! They funneled everything towards Spikes and Stamper as far as the running game was concerned defensively,Cunningham played mostly the rush/contain DE and was a very sound technician....I think you as a Patriots fan,you will be happy with Cunninghams overall performance,though he may take a little while too adjust to the Patriots scheme and the OLB/DE hybrid position everyone seems to think he'll play. Also if he doesn't shine in his first year don't get all out of sorts as it sometimes takes a year or two for the kids to adjust to the speed of the game,look at Brace as an example everyone thinks he's a bust because he didn't grasp what the transistion meant coming into the league from college,and I'm pretty sure you will see a much better player this year than you saw last year..

Sections
Shortcuts