MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?

With 2 more picks today Buffalo Bills starting rookie safety Jairus Byrd brought his league leading interception total to 7 ... tying a long standing NFL record with 3 consecutive games with at least 2 INT's .
     Byrd was also the second Oregon Duck D-Back taken in the draft
    ( Pats took Patrick Chung #34 ) .
       It's true his College position was Cornerback -not safety and it's certainly too early to tell exactly what Chung is going to become...but one thing is for certain : with 7 picks under his belt in only 4 starts , Jairus Byrd is a player .

Note : Pats actually passed on Byrd a number of times in the second round, taking Brace at #41 and Butler at #42 before Byrd was snapped up by the Bills at #43 overall .

Oh well...hindsight is 20/20...congrats to the much maligned Dick Jauron on what looks to be an outstanding pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?

In Response to MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?:
    [QUOTE]   With 2 more picks today Buffalo Bills starting rookie safety Jairus Byrd brought his league leading interception total to 7 ... tying a long standing NFL record with 3 consecutive games with at least 2 INT's .  Byrd was also the second Oregon Duck D-Back taken in the draft ( Pats took Patrick Chung #34 ) .    It's true his College position was Cornerback -not safety and it's certainly too early to tell exactly what Chung is going to become...but one thing is for certain : with 7 picks under his belt in only 4 starts , Jairus Byrd is a player .  Note : Pats actually passed on Byrd a number of times in the second round, taking Brace at #41 and Butler at #42 before Byrd was snapped up by the Bills at #43 overall .  Oh well...hindsight is 20/20...congrats to the much maligned Dick Jauron on what looks to be an outstanding pick.
    Posted by CapnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

And yet they lost...  many players have chance to see the field on a stink team like the Bills but have to wait their turn on a good team like the PAT's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

no, not a mistake
    Pat Chung is a hard hitting, tackling safety that the pats wanted and need.  Byrd is a useless tackler who is oft-burned and, as youve seen, can catch floater passes

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Byrd gets picks, but he also gets smoked. It was the same at Oregon.

He looks promising. But don't overlook the glaring fact that a.) he would be last on the depth chart in this NE secondary, and b.) Chung is a SS and he has been playing FS.

If byrd were so great he wouldn't be playing on the 26th ranked defense. The fact that he has so many picks shows that teams aren't afraid to throw deep on Buffalo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Here we go again.

Patriots drafted the player they thought fits into thier system.  

JByrd may not have the all around game and leadership and FB IQ that BB was looking for.

Just because a player plays well for another team does not mean that he would play well in NE...remember A.Thomas

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

In Response to Re: MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?:
    [QUOTE]no, not a mistake Pat Chung is a hard hitting, tackling safety that the pats wanted and need.  Byrd is a useless tackler who is oft-burned and, as youve seen, can catch floater passes
    Posted by Gulo[/QUOTE]

Hard hitting? ...Chung ?
    I understand it was his "college rep " , but so far all I've seen is him wrestllin' a few guys to the ground ( along with a few whiffs ) .
      Don't get me wrong...I'm actually a Chung fan ( I like his attitude and spirit ) but until he actually stings someone in the PRO's ...the juries still out .

And "floater" passes or not...he knows what to do when the ball is in his vicinity
    (as I recall ~ a timely "floater " INT would have given us the Super Bowl in 2007 )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

I'm almost positive Jairus Byrd was a CB in College, or at least, came out as one in the NFL Draft?  If so, and regardless, Ya gotta give the Bill's Brass props for recognizing Byrd's superb diagnosing of the pass-play, and excellent ball-hawking skills...

A guy I still wish we had taken over Chung wasn't Byrd, but Louis Delmas.  Over and over again I kept hearing the same thing about Delmas that I do about Pat's Brandon McGowan, namely: THAT He was always around the action.  I know that Byrd (now) and Delmas both play FS in the Pros, and Chung plays SS (I believe?-I haven't seen him on the field much), BUT ALL 3 Guys are the same height @ 5'11 and Delmas is something like 200 lbs, while Chung was at 210 lbs when Drafted (Byrd-205-ish), SO It's not like Byrd or here, Delmas, couldn't pack on 10 more lbs of muscle in a year or two.

IMHO BB bit on Chung because of Merriweather's, until this year, somewhat slow development, and so He wasn't sure Merri (or who) would take over the vacant Rodney Harrison role.  Further that with the fact that Chung was known as a  "leader on D" and a "big big hitter", and again IMO, BB somewhat rose-colored the fact that Chung takes at times very poor angles to the ball (which a 4.4 something speed, and a reputation as an "intimidator" -can and does often cover-up in College). 

I STILL think that picking a FS (with Merri at SS) would have been the better move and I argued FOR just that during Draft last year (never been impressed with Sander's "hawking" OR "# of times around the action").  Just shows that You draft for quality and skill (amongst many other things), BUT You DON'T Draft in hopes "to replace" just off of "need" (the right guy just might not be there that year, you might 'whitewash' his flaws because you think your need is too great, or that he reminds you of he guy you had/need over any other draftee, You may pass on a much, MUCH better skilled player but at a different position, etc., etc., etc..).  

In the end, I'll Personally I'll take the 5 or 10 lb smaller-guy who isn't afraid to sacrifice his body, BUT will give me an INT (Byrd), OR ALWAYS be around the ball (Delmas), OVER a BIG-Hitting, Defensive "Leader" who is never anywhere near the action (Chung).  TRULLY hope I'm dead-wrong regarding Chung's fundamental flaw, or hope he can overcome that at the least, Because I'd love another Rodney Harrison on the Pats...

Thoughts ANYONE?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]To ALL : I'm almost positive Jairus Byrd was a CB in College, or at least, came out as one in the NFL Draft?  If so, and regardless, Ya gotta give the Bill's Brass props for recognizing Byrd's superb diagnosing of the pass-play, and excellent ball-hawking skills ... A guy I still wish we had taken over Chung wasn't Byrd, but Louis Delmas .  Over and over again I kept hearing the same thing about Delmas that I do about Pat's Brandon McGowan, namely: THAT He was always around the action .  I know that Byrd (now) and Delmas both play FS in the Pros, and Chung plays SS (I believe?-I haven't seen him on the field much), BUT ALL 3 Guys are the same height @ 5'11 and Delmas is something like 200 lbs, while Chung was at 210 lbs when Drafted (Byrd-205-ish), SO It's not like Byrd or here, Delmas, couldn't pack on 10 more lbs of muscle in a year or two. IMHO BB bit on Chung because of Merriweather's, until this year, somewhat slow development, and so He wasn't sure Merri (or who) would take over the vacant Rodney Harrison role.  Further that with the fact that Chung was known as a  "leader on D" and a "big big hitter", and again IMO, BB somewhat rose-colored the fact that Chung takes at times very poor angles to the ball (which a 4.4 something speed, and a reputation as an "intimidator" - can and does often cover-up in College).  I STILL think that picking a FS (with Merri at SS) would have been the better move and I argued FOR just that during Draft last year (never been impressed with Sander's "hawking" OR "# of times around the action").  Just shows that You draft for quality and skill (amongst many other things), BUT You DON'T Draft in hopes "to replace" just off of "need" (the right guy just might not be there that year, you might 'whitewash' his flaws because you think your need is too great, or that he reminds you of he guy you had/need over any other draftee, You may pass on a much, MUCH better skilled player but at a different position, etc., etc., etc..).   In the end, I'll Personally I'll take the 5 or 10 lb smaller-guy who isn't afraid to sacrifice his body, BUT will give me an INT (Byrd), OR ALWAYS be around the ball (Delmas), OVER a BIG-Hitting, Defensive "Leader" who is never anywhere near the action (Chung).  TRULLY hope I'm dead-wrong regarding Chung's fundamental flaw, or hope he can overcome that at the least, Because I'd love another Rodney Harrison on the Pats... Thoughts ANYONE ?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Louis Delmas? Really?

In a full season of starting he has less picks than Chung has in big nickel sub play. And that doesn't even count Chung's great special teams play. I am glad Chung doens't have Delmas' 'nose' for the ball.

As far as fs/SS it is an overrated designation on this team. Sanders has been put to the bench by McGowan. so according to that NE now has two SSs.

BB looks for players who can play on every level of the secondary at safety.

As far as the rest of the thread, it would take a string of injuries for any rookie to play on this team. BB doesn't start rookies from day one. Mayo is the only exception where there wasn't an injury (or three) that forced a player in.

Butler and Chung have looked great for rookies in a very complex defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

To nobody in particular...

Neither Delmas, Chung, Merriweather or Byrd are legit strong safeties, all of them are about 200 pounds and range from 5'10" to 6 feet tall.  Real deal strong safeties, ranging from 6'-6'2"/210-220pounds with range that can man up tightends don't come along often and the current trend is to stock up on hard hitting, play making free safties... at least that's what the PAT's are doing.

That being said it's way too early to write off Chung, especially since he is now getting reps and making plays.  Not every player is going to progress as quickly but I know before their first season is up is way too soon to write somebody off...  Chung is making strides and I still think he will become a solid player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

[QUOTE]To ALL : I'm almost positive Jairus Byrd was a CB in College, or at least, came out as one in the NFL Draft?  If so, and regardless, Ya gotta give the Bill's Brass props for recognizing Byrd's superb diagnosing of the pass-play, and excellent ball-hawking skills ... A guy I still wish we had taken over Chung wasn't Byrd, but Louis Delmas .  Over and over again I kept hearing the same thing about Delmas that I do about Pat's Brandon McGowan, namely: THAT He was always around the action .  I know that Byrd (now) and Delmas both play FS in the Pros, and Chung plays SS (I believe?-I haven't seen him on the field much), BUT ALL 3 Guys are the same height @ 5'11 and Delmas is something like 200 lbs, while Chung was at 210 lbs when Drafted (Byrd-205-ish), SO It's not like Byrd or here, Delmas, couldn't pack on 10 more lbs of muscle in a year or two. IMHO BB bit on Chung because of Merriweather's, until this year, somewhat slow development, and so He wasn't sure Merri (or who) would take over the vacant Rodney Harrison role.  Further that with the fact that Chung was known as a  "leader on D" and a "big big hitter", and again IMO, BB somewhat rose-colored the fact that Chung takes at times very poor angles to the ball (which a 4.4 something speed, and a reputation as an "intimidator" - can and does often cover-up in College).  I STILL think that picking a FS (with Merri at SS) would have been the better move and I argued FOR just that during Draft last year (never been impressed with Sander's "hawking" OR "# of times around the action").  Just shows that You draft for quality and skill (amongst many other things), BUT You DON'T Draft in hopes "to replace" just off of "need" (the right guy just might not be there that year, you might 'whitewash' his flaws because you think your need is too great, or that he reminds you of he guy you had/need over any other draftee, You may pass on a much, MUCH better skilled player but at a different position, etc., etc., etc..).   In the end, I'll Personally I'll take the 5 or 10 lb smaller-guy who isn't afraid to sacrifice his body, BUT will give me an INT (Byrd), OR ALWAYS be around the ball (Delmas), OVER a BIG-Hitting, Defensive "Leader" who is never anywhere near the action (Chung).  TRULLY hope I'm dead-wrong regarding Chung's fundamental flaw, or hope he can overcome that at the least, Because I'd love another Rodney Harrison on the Pats... Thoughts ANYONE ?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Yes I have a thought. I think your an idiot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm just going to say what everyone is thinking-- Shut up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

~Look zbellino and the "I'm an idiot" poster... I'm NOT saying that Chung won't turn out to be a great Safety...I agree with the fact that Players progress at different speeds.  I'm LOVING our Secondary esp. after the past few seasons, and The BM tandem is sick...  I just had the heretical notion that I liked Delmas coming out of The Draft better because like McGowan he was known to be, and has been around the action of the play (his PDs and INTs will come IMO...just 6 games here guys). 

But honestly, (I mean at first I didn't feel the need of even bothering to respond), BUT Let's Weigh Our Arguments

So far, I've argued that I liked going FS over SS because I believe Merri's a better player than Sanders (looking at it from last off-season and before McGowan's arrival), and that BB just might have 'pulled the trigger' on Chung over a better prospect at another spot, because his Hitting and Leadership on the Field in College  just might have reminded him of Harrison...  AND I ALSO Argued that Byrd's "ball-hawking" CB-FS transition is something of a success story, and Delmas's proper diagnosing of the plays, angles to the action, and aggressiveness to make the Tackle (even in run-support at FS) was something he's known for and is good at... 

Again, crazy, crazy, crazy, somewhat novel but alas d#mnable notions to not agree with EVERY single thing Belichick has EVER done in the League player-personell wise........

ANNNnnnd, So far You've Both made the Arguments that Delmas is a bad-choice over Chung BECAUSE: Chung has 1 INT to Delmas's 0 after 6 Pro-Games or so...that..., and because "I'm an idiot," has been the dual-rhetoric.  Nice work guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]ANNNnnnd, So far You've Both made the Arguments that Delmas is a bad-choice over Chung BECAUSE: Chung has 1 INT to Delmas's 0 after 6 Pro-Games or so...that..., and because "I'm an idiot," has been the dual-rhetoric.  Nice work guys. [/QUOTE]

Kindly disregard the "U R n iDioT" poster. That is his schtick. He comes on here, and calls someone an idiot once a day or so. I am a firm believer in the conduct of civil society --  so he is just out.

To be clear about what I said . . . . Delmas is on one of the worst defenses in the league against the pass. He has started seven games to Chung's zero.

I had NE taking Chung, so this isn't about BB. It is about what I know Chung can do. Chung is plaing behind McGowan, who just put Pats starter Sanders to the bench. That says wonders about McGowan's play. The fact that Chung actually got more reps than Sanders himself last week demonstrates volumes about how well Chung is coming along.

As far as poor angles, all I can say is you either didn't watch Chung at Oregon, or are a really big Delmas fan. Chung takes great angles to tackles. He was a tackling, ballhawk machine in the PAC-10.

As far as arguments, yours go . . . .
    1.) You dont' believe everything BB says, which implies a.) I do [larf], and b.) my judgement is compromised because of this.
    2.) Something wierd about Delmas being angulon, king of tackling angles, and Chung being the anti-geometric safety who couldn't find a nut if he were a blind squirrel . . .  and then . . .
    3.) IPSO FACTO, Delmas would have been a better choice, despite the meager statisitcal (and naked eye on my part) samples that indicate otherwise.

Does that sound about right?

Yes, Byrd looks good, on a bad defense, right now. We shall see how he does down the road.

Yes, seven starts to nil is a poor sample, but it illustrates that Chung has performed better in short play. At the same time, it in no way authorizes anyone to make a judgement about Chung, and points out the absurdity of extrapolating Delmas as a better player when he has played more and (to be quite frank) looked worse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?:
    [QUOTE]   With 2 more picks today Buffalo Bills starting rookie safety Jairus Byrd brought his league leading interception total to 7 ... tying a long standing NFL record with 3 consecutive games with at least 2 INT's .  Byrd was also the second Oregon Duck D-Back taken in the draft ( Pats took Patrick Chung #34 ) .    It's true his College position was Cornerback -not safety and it's certainly too early to tell exactly what Chung is going to become...but one thing is for certain : with 7 picks under his belt in only 4 starts , Jairus Byrd is a player .  Note : Pats actually passed on Byrd a number of times in the second round, taking Brace at #41 and Butler at #42 before Byrd was snapped up by the Bills at #43 overall .  Oh well...hindsight is 20/20...congrats to the much maligned Dick Jauron on what looks to be an outstanding pick.

Disagree Completely

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

last I checked Meriweather was doing just fine with his tackles and interceptions. Might not be 7, but he's taking care of things. Chung will do the same, and maybe over time, more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I cant beleave this many people are even watching the Bills this season....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]To nobody in particular... Neither Delmas, Chung, Merriweather or Byrd are legit strong safeties, all of them are about 200 pounds and range from 5'10" to 6 feet tall.  Real deal strong safeties, ranging from 6'-6'2"/210-220pounds with range that can man up tightends don't come along often and the current trend is to stock up on hard hitting, play making free safties... at least that's what the PAT's are doing. That being said it's way too early to write off Chung, especially since he is now getting reps and making plays.  Not every player is going to progress as quickly but I know before their first season is up is way too soon to write somebody off...  Chung is making strides and I still think he will become a solid player.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    Polamula  5'10" 207 lbs.   Bob Sanders 5'8" 201 lbs.  Patrick Chung 5'11" 211 lbs. All three are strong safeties. I believe the first two mentioned are "real deal" safties who can man up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY? : Disagree Completely
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

wow gmbill ...U "Disagree Completely " with my opening premise...way to go out on a limb.
     Do u mind elaborating ? ( re-read my initial post . . .  what part other than calling Byrd  "a player' isn't based on fact ?
      Are u one of the last remaining internet users that is paying by the minute and need to conserve your AOL log-in time ?
      Even the ignoramous Pats49 at least made a somewhat interesting comment
    (for him anyway ).

Please ESTRAPOLATE *

* stolen word from previous post'r

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY? : Kindly disregard the "U R n iDioT" poster. That is his schtick. He comes on here, and calls someone an idiot once a day or so. I am a firm believer in the conduct of civil society --  so he is just out. To be clear about what I said . . . . Delmas is on one of the worst defenses in the league against the pass. He has started seven games to Chung's zero. I had NE taking Chung, so this isn't about BB. It is about what I know Chung can do. Chung is plaing behind McGowan, who just put Pats starter Sanders to the bench. That says wonders about McGowan's play. The fact that Chung actually got more reps than Sanders himself last week demonstrates volumes about how well Chung is coming along. As far as poor angles, all I can say is you either didn't watch Chung at Oregon, or are a really big Delmas fan. Chung takes great angles to tackles. He was a tackling, ballhawk machine in the PAC-10. As far as arguments, yours go . . . . 1.) You dont' believe everything BB says, which implies a.) I do [larf], and b.) my judgement is compromised because of this. 2.) Something wierd about Delmas being angulon, king of tackling angles, and Chung being the anti-geometric safety who couldn't find a nut if he were a blind squirrel . . .  and then . . . 3.) IPSO FACTO, Delmas would have been a better choice, despite the meager statisitcal (and naked eye on my part) samples that indicate otherwise.                                  Does that sound about right? Yes, Byrd looks good, on a bad defense, right now. We shall see how he does down the road. Yes, seven starts to nil is a poor sample, but it illustrates that Chung has performed better in short play. At the same time, it in no way authorizes anyone to make a judgement about Chung, and points out the absurdity of extrapolating Delmas as a better player when he has played more and (to be quite frank) looked worse.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

zbellino and ALL:

First, my bad myself, for corraling you with the "I'm an idiot" guy: The two should have been non-sequiturs...We're both long time posters, and I know your usual arguments and thesises to be well-thought-out and validated ones.

Foremost, I agree that it is in fact too early to tell who will be what, So it's kinda a moot point.  My Draft Day prediction last season wavered between Delmas then Chung then back to Delmas, less because some appreciable difference in their overall skill-set, moreso because of the fact that I believed him to be a better true FREE Safety prospect. 

Ya See, I have viewed for some time (amongst others) James Sanders, IF not being rather average, is at least not a great "play-maker" (someone Offenses plan the game around, someone Defenses rally around because of big-plays/hits/variant skill-sets/leadership qualities, etc).  Yes, Sanders has been good enough to start for what has been for 2-3 years, a very average NE Secondary, and a very good front 7 that masked it IMO, BUT with the influx of talent THIS year, IMHO He's now occupying a role better suiting his skills-a role-player who knows the D, can fill in for the starters and play rather mistake-free. 

Oddly enough though zbellino, It seems that We BOTH wanted the same thing-a much more formidable Safety tandem...  With THIS in mind zb or ANYone for that matter, I'm somewhat querolous as to exactly WHO occupies exactly WHAT Safety spot this year, and especially under what game preconditions Belichick uses said Safeties, and under what formation role(s):

I've heard and seen multiple times now that McGowan has been playing somewhat of a hybrid LB-S 'tweener role, covering the TEs, etc.  NOW, is THIS considered the SS on BB's D? 

Is He (McGowan) occupying Merri's SS role of last year specifically in run-support and blitzing at times (because Merriweather was getting pretty good and making a name for himself towards the end of last season in these two qualities)? 

IF so, Is Merri more now occupying more of a backfield Free Safety roaming spot,
    OR Has there been some sort of fundamental shift in Safety groupings with Merri and McGowan both playing some sort of SS variant in the early downs, and someone like Sanders coming in as a true FS on certain passing downs, and WHO is playing what/where if and when this happens?

~I recall some Thread where a poster was pretty knowledgable regarding the exact personell groupings and under what usual preconditions within the oppossing team's game-play...Just curious, and Leaving it open for ANYone with better exacting knowledge on some of these things going on in Our Secondary...

Thoughts ANYONE?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bronson05. Show bronson05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY? :   Hard hitting? ...Chung ? I understand it was his "college rep " , but so far all I've seen is him wrestllin' a few guys to the ground ( along with a few whiffs ) .   Don't get me wrong...I'm actually a Chung fan ( I like his attitude and spirit ) but until he actually stings someone in the PRO's ...the juries still out .  And "floater" passes or not...he knows what to do when the ball is in his vicinity (as I recall ~ a timely "floater " INT would have given us the Super Bowl in 2007 )

Ouch! That last statement was a hard hit! Has any team ever had their whole defensive backfield go to the Pro Bowl? I like what I am seeing back there, especially for the future. I like the way they have positioned themselves in the draft next year. Lets just say that I like a lot of what the Pats have done over the last decade. Prediction. Tom Brady wins 3 more SB's, going down as the greatest QB of all time and taking BB with him...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Jarius is a DB Chung is a head hunter we already have a DB playing deep middle and his name is Brandon MeriWheather we needed a roving hybrid FS/olb that sticks and can cover TE man up that is what chung is and Chung could start if it was not for McGowan having the year of his life

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I love these Pats selection X in this years draft is a bust post. It is always the same people that profess to know alot about football in general and the Pats in particular while ignoring the FACT that the Pats are one of the BEST teams in the NFL and therefore have a talent level that would not allow a rookie to start unless they were a once in a decade type of player. We won't know who would have been the better pick ever, unless they both play the same position for the same team and the same coach.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Byrd is one-dimensional.  Chung has more upside.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]Has any team ever had their whole defensive backfield go to the Pro Bowl ?
    Posted by bronson05[/QUOTE]

I recall the 70's era Cowboys sent a number of DB 's to the Pro Bowl
    ( Cliff Harris / Charlie Waters / Everson Walls / Mel Renfro / Herb Adderly ... but I'm not sure how many of them over-lapped )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

It's way too early to completely evaluate this past draft.  But based on early evidence it appears the Patriots did really well.  Anyone can try and act like an expert and be a Monday Morning QB when it comes to the draft but it appears the Pat's hit a homerun with their 2009 picks.

Also, why so down on Chung.  The guy's just started earning playing time and I saw him do several positive things in the Tampa game.  Just seems like a rush to judgment on the guy.