MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?

This is all hind sight 8 weeks into their rookie seasons. I certainly don't expect the Patriots to draft every sleeper in the draft and I am not unhappy with Chung nor do I think he will be a bust. Stats look great on paper but what's more important is that they cover well, tackle good and don't $crew up their assignments on any given play.
    You could post this same thread for every team in the league and pick out a dozen different rookies that they all passed on in the draft.#1: Why don't we wait and see a year or 2 down the line who is performing better because I doubt very much that Byrd will have 10 ints a year for the rest of his career? #2: Were you out posting the day before the draft telling everyone how great Byrd was? #3: You certainly don't sound like a Pats fan for someone with the handle of Capnfoxboro.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I was saying how Byrd was a great prospect for FS conversion, but I didn't think NE was going that way. I have a lot of respect for the Oregon program, especially the defensive crew, who run an NFL style system, which is rare outside the SEC. I never expected him to break out though, I thought of him more like a slowish corner with good zone skills, which screams deep safety.

At the same time, this breakout could easily be one and done. If he were really a huge threat, Buffalo would have a better pass defense.

BB was pretty clear that the spot is hybridizing these days. the distinction between SS and FS is all but artificial. Guys like Troy Polamalu play both at the same time. The key is getting guys who can play at all levels, versatility at all four spots in the DB grouping. The ability to play in close, intermediate and deep. If you have four players that can do this, the offense never knows what to expect.

The days of having one 6'0 190 lb deep guy, and one 230 lb bruiser are over. it is too predictable for the offense.

Having two guys that are 210-ish and can both move and do a variety of things well can make things much more difficult.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CapnFoxboro. Show CapnFoxboro's posts

In Response to Re: MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?:
    [QUOTE]This is all hind sight 8 weeks into their rookie seasons. I certainly don't expect the Patriots to draft every sleeper in the draft and I am not unhappy with Chung nor do I think he will be a bust. Stats look great on paper but what's more important is that they cover well, tackle good and don't $crew up their assignments on any given play. You could post this same thread for every team in the league and pick out a dozen different rookies that they all passed on in the draft.#1: Why don't we wait and see a year or 2 down the line who is performing better because I doubt very much that Byrd will have 10 ints a year for the rest of his career? #2: Were you out posting the day before the draft telling everyone how great Byrd was? #3: You certainly don't sound like a Pats fan for someone with the handle of Capnfoxboro.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

DEAR EWHITE1065 ... Get your head out of your anal cavity ( and while you're at it clean the scrum wax out of your earhole ).
      I simply posed a question... Might Byrd end up a better player than Chung ?

In answer to your predictably vanilla questions :

#1 F...U
    #2 F...  the horse u rode in on
    #3 F ... your mammys kid

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]I was saying how Byrd was a great prospect for FS conversion, but I didn't think NE was going that way. I have a lot of respect for the Oregon program, especially the defensive crew, who run an NFL style system, which is rare outside the SEC. I never expected him to break out though, I thought of him more like a slowish corner with good zone skills, which screams deep safety. At the same time, this breakout could easily be one and done. If he were really a huge threat, Buffalo would have a better pass defense. BB was pretty clear that the spot is hybridizing these days. the distinction between SS and FS is all but artificial. Guys like Troy Polamalu play both at the same time. The key is getting guys who can play at all levels, versatility at all four spots in the DB grouping. The ability to play in close, intermediate and deep. If you have four players that can do this, the offense never knows what to expect. The days of having one 6'0 190 lb deep guy, and one 230 lb bruiser are over. it is too predictable for the offense. Having two guys that are 210-ish and can both move and do a variety of things well can make things much more difficult.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

zbellino and ALL:

zb, Our BDC Draft guru, You did your homework!  Too funny that you're refering to the same NFL.com Pre-Draft Article that I read and re-read at Draft time (then subsequently completely forgot about lol)...  Had it saved in my Favorites Menu for some time, deleted it, But I refound it when Googled (posted below, I urge ALL to read this excellent piece on the Evolution and Hybridization of NFL Safeties)...

BUT You're right zb, and I guess BB practiced in the Draft last year what He preached before it (Dick Jauron apparently did his homework too with Byrd-in College had a high TT rate and having a decent enough size, the hands and "hawking" of a CB certainly helps his transition from college CB-pro FS)...

Funny that the NFL.com article expounds on Chung being a roamer and playing anywhere from FS-SS to CB and LB at times.  The Piece DOES make sense though, and I can see where successful Defenses are coming from in the evolution of the Safety role in the NFL: 

Namely, Disguising Defensive Packages...  Bringing what was a 6'1 230lb SS up EVERY time to either blitz or support a certain running play, allows QBs to call play and O-Line audibles to pick the guy up and exploit it play-wise.  The awareness to counteract more and more high-powered and complicated Offenses led by vastly intelligent signal callers WITH more and more Complicated and Numerous Defensive looks, disguises and deceptions, IS a true Bill Belichick-foresight...(and I'm Not even mentioning the "interchangeability" of Safeties as SSs and FSs and even CBs and LBs allows for the certainty of injuries in an ever-increasingly violent NFL)...

Anyway all, Thanx for the refreshing reminder of this piece zbellino, and Here's the Link ALL:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ee96e4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In the NFL, if you aren't changing, you are falling behind.

Anyhow, it goes beyond DBs too. Notice that BB brought in two CBs that are large, form tacklers, and is carrying a pair of ILBs that are both 10-15 lbs lighter than anyone he put there in the early part of the decade?

These players are all smart, and can do any number of things.

Chung will have his moment, right now it is 2 BMs making waves. Even though I am a huge Chung fan, I have no problem with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

[QUOTE]To nobody in particular... Neither Delmas, Chung, Merriweather or Byrd are legit strong safeties, all of them are about 200 pounds and range from 5'10" to 6 feet tall.  Real deal strong safeties, ranging from 6'-6'2"/210-220pounds with range that can man up tightends don't come along often and the current trend is to stock up on hard hitting, play making free safties... at least that's what the PAT's are doing. That being said it's way too early to write off Chung, especially since he is now getting reps and making plays.  Not every player is going to progress as quickly but I know before their first season is up is way too soon to write somebody off...  Chung is making strides and I still think he will become a solid player.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

The exception to your statement though wozzy is bob sanders, of course at 5'8. he can play both ss  and come down in the box and make great tackles behind the line of scrimmage or he can switch it up and play the FS spot and roam the field and make big plays there. not all great players look alike, some are exceptions to the rule. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I wonder how many of you thought Merriweather was a bust?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]Butler and Chung have looked great for rookies in a very complex defense.

In Response to Re: MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY? : Kindly disregard the "U R n iDioT" poster. That is his schtick. He comes on here, and calls someone an idiot once a day or so. I am a firm believer in the conduct of civil society --  so he is just out.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Here, here - two great posts by zbellino!!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

They absolutley picked the wrong safety. Half the season is over and that is pretty much enough reflect what both safeties will do for the rest of their careers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY? : The exception to your statement though wozzy is bob sanders, of course at 5'8. he can play both ss  and come down in the box and make great tackles behind the line of scrimmage or he can switch it up and play the FS spot and roam the field and make big plays there. not all great players look alike, some are exceptions to the rule. 
    Posted by R3S1N20[/QUOTE]

I don't dispute that these smaller free safeties playing the SS position can do it effectively, Polamalu and Sanders are some of the best defenders in the league regardless of position...  Meriweather is playing at that level now as well.

The difference in my eyes is a guy who can man up a tightend and cover him as an equal, these smaller guys cover a tightend, hope to slap the ball away but more often than not the tightend catches the ball and the smaller safety hangs on for dear life, tangling up his legs in the hopes of taking him down.

Bigger strong safeties are harder to find so you don't see them often nowadays but they can nuetralize tightends leaving the linebackers free to make plays closer to the line of scrimmage.  With Meriweather, McGowan, Sanders and Chung we have an abundance of riches and I like the use of multiple sets.  Bill B was always a defensive backs coach first so I can see why he likes a good safety regardless of size.  I know it's nitpicking, not every team can have every type of player...  I just enjoy watching a linebacker sized safety knock the stuffing out of a blowhard like T.O. on a crossing route.  I guess I miss Rodney...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

like say a guy like adrian wilson of the cardinals, the guy is huge he could play linebacker later on in his career if he slows down alot.. i get what ur saying bigger safties can do more in covering TE 1 on 1. but guys like adrian wilson are so incredibly hard to find. you have to take the ed reed and bob sanders type plays and hope they can do enough to cover TE's. but in the case of byrd and chung,  they play two different positions and cannot really be compared in that way, also considering we dont need chung to start its unfair to compair a starter and a 2nd stringer, No?????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to MISTAKE? PATS DRAFTED WRONG OREGON SAFETY?:
    [QUOTE]   With 2 more picks today Buffalo Bills starting rookie safety Jairus Byrd brought his league leading interception total to 7 ... tying a long standing NFL record with 3 consecutive games with at least 2 INT's .  Byrd was also the second Oregon Duck D-Back taken in the draft ( Pats took Patrick Chung #34 ) .    It's true his College position was Cornerback -not safety and it's certainly too early to tell exactly what Chung is going to become...but one thing is for certain : with 7 picks under his belt in only 4 starts , Jairus Byrd is a player .  Note : Pats actually passed on Byrd a number of times in the second round, taking Brace at #41 and Butler at #42 before Byrd was snapped up by the Bills at #43 overall .  Oh well...hindsight is 20/20...congrats to the much maligned Dick Jauron on what looks to be an outstanding pick.
    Posted by CapnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Since when do 6 games tell how a career is going to go?