MJD wants a trade now! Do Pats bite?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Re: MJD wants a trade now! Do Pats bite?

In Response to Re: MJD wants a trade now! Do Pats bite?:
    [QUOTE]I'd rather spend the money on a big C who could turn our current RB's into MJD.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

or on tackles that can deal with speed and power rushers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

If we could sign him from the neck down and attach Troy Browns head, otherwise pass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Texpat kinda nailed it. He would want to play for a contender and the Jags won't be that for two or three years(when he' in his prime). The Pats would have to trade Welker and some serious draft picks (1st, 2nd, and 3rd or 4th). I just don't see them doing that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Texpat kinda nailed it. He would want to play for a contender and the Jags won't be that for two or three years(when he' in his prime). The Pats would have to trade Welker and some serious draft picks (1st, 2nd, and 3rd or 4th). I just don't see them doing that.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

But how do you know that? He didn't say he wanted to be traded because he wants to play for a contender, he said he wanted to be traded because the Jags won't renegotiate the 2 yrs left on his contract and give him a better deal. To me that shows there's more evidence to say he's about the money not about going to a contender.

Why is it people always assume players want to come to a contender and we could get any player because we give them a chance to win? More now then ever all professional sports are a business and almost any player will go to any team if the money is right. Now if the money is close the chance to win might be the deciding factor but not if it isn't close. There are a few exceptions but not many, least we remember Damon who said he wouldn't go to the Yanks and then once the contract was in front of him he couldn't resist signing it. And, I don't blame Damon one bit because he got a great deal and it is a business after all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]we still need an O-line to block for him... It does not matter how good he is - RB is going nowhere if he is met 5 yards deep in the backfield...
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]
     You're right about the O-line having issues but I'd take him if only to run back kickoffs and punts. Our kickoff returns have been woeful since the departure of Hobbes and using Welker on punts increases the risk dramatically of him getting injured. We currently have noone in the backfield of significant proven value so I'm mystified that most folks want to pass on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MJD wants a trade now! Do Pats bite? : But how do you know that? He didn't say he wanted to be traded because he wants to play for a contender, he said he wanted to be traded because the Jags won't renegotiate the 2 yrs left on his contract and give him a better deal. To me that shows there's more evidence to say he's about the money not about going to a contender. Why is it people always assume players want to come to a contender and we could get any player because we give them a chance to win? More now then ever all professional sports are a business and almost any player will go to any team if the money is right. Now if the money is close the chance to win might be the deciding factor but not if it isn't close. There are a few exceptions but not many, least we remember Damon who said he wouldn't go to the Yanks and then once the contract was in front of him he couldn't resist signing it. And, I don't blame Damon one bit because he got a great deal and it is a business after all.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Jones-Drew is in his prime and as I always say the career of a pro player in any sport is very short compared to a guy that has a Harvard Law degree. I don't begrudge any player wanting to get paid because they have a small window to cash in. I respect your opinion PATSENG and I like your contributions to nearly all the threads (especially the draft threads). The deal is Jones-Drew had a front-loaded contract and now he seems to want the Jags (and the new owner) to re-up his contract so that he gets as much or more than CJ2 or Foster. Again the window is still open for MJD, but it could close in about three years.

To reiterate I doubt the Pats have the cap room to take on his contract (or to accede to his contract demands). And I doubt BB will trade a boatload of picks to get him when he has a stable of young backs to work with. The point is MJD might do the pay me or trade me and it would be far from the first time someone in professional sports has done that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8290567/sources-holdout-jacksonville-jaguars-running-back-maurice-jones-drew-now-open-trade

This really does not surprise me at all. The situation is much different than a player not wanting to sign the franchise tender. I never said at any point that he would be traded to the Pats. In fact, I pretty much said the opposite. And like most I get a bit tired of the lets go get Larry Fitzgerald and reign over all the earth. I am more about smart personel moves like Waters and retaining core players (Wilfork, Mayo, Mankins and Gronk).

With two years left, I personally think MJD does not have much leverage. No player can sit out two years and comeback and perform at the same level. I expect the Jags will do something or MJD will cave.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

No but..........

Colts Fans..Your GM Mr Grigson isn't afraid to roll the dice n aggressively improve YOUR Indianapolis Colts..n my check book stands ready!

SERIOUS TRADE WINDS Swirling! We're talking given up high pick for SERIOUS Vet/Starter!.. these deals often crumble n don't reach completion

TRADE WINDS BLOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 times out of 10 these deals fizzle out like a faulty Roman Candle;any other info at this time is proprietary,must move behind the curtain!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Obvious trade targets for Colts are Mike Wallace and Maurice Jones-Drew. Wallace is more likely at this point.

Sections
Shortcuts