MJD worth it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

MJD worth it?

With the recent contract extensions of Ray Rice (5/40) and Matt Forte (4/32), MJD is holding out from Jags camp for a new contract. He currently has two years left on his deal (approx 4.5 per) and is 27 years old. Jags owner has said the team will not negotiate with him - leading to speculation that he will be moved. With the question marks and mixed reviews about our current RB squad - should the Pats explore a trade and extension for MJD? He would likely cost somewhere in the range of Rice & Forte. He led the league in rushing last season and is still relatively young. He is a dynamic rusher and is also effective at catching the ball out of the backfield. The Pats currently have approx 12M in cap space so it could be conceivable. Resigning Hernandez is still possible if Welker is allowed to walk next offseason.

2nd + 4th Rounder for MJD + 4/36M extension?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: MJD worth it?

He is most definitely worth it.

MJD is one of the few running back superstars in the NFL. He would be a wonderful piece to add to an already potent offense.

However, my opinion is that teams win without star running backs. He would be a nice luxury to have but the money would be better spent elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wouldn't pay for a 27 year old back (at least what this guy is going to want). These guys lose their speed so fast and go from special, to ordinary in a flash. Never mind that everyone is trying to tackle them every time they touch the ball; all it takes is one guy to land on your 35 million dollar investment the wrong way and it's over. The same can be said about any position, but none take the pounding that these guys get.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

One or all of our young backs is going to be good, mark it down.  There's no need to pay for a MJD when Ridely or Bodden or Vareen is better and cheaper.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Drew is an awesome back but I'm not sure the Pats are geared the way he'd want it. I also agree with wozzy, I think we have two special backs already and with Danny adding options we have everything we need back there.

I think we'll see a big difference between Josh and Bill steering this ship.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

No thank you. Given his age I would not give him close to the contract he's looking for. I'll guarantee if he got a contract like that, that half way through who ever gave it to him would regret it. Now part of that is we have Brady , if we had say Sanchez then having a top 5 RB in the league might be worth a lot more but not to the Pats

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have no problem with our young running backs...... a year or two from now.  I want superbowls now, I want at least 2 more before TFB hangs the cleats up and boy o boy would this offense be crazy with MJD at running back.  But I don't see it happening, what would the Pats have to sacrificed to get him, probably a whole lot and it might be a one step forward, two steps back situation. 

Plus when TFB tried to recruit him at the SB media session last year MJD was making excuses about cold weather and stuff.  So I question the dudes heart.  Seriously, making excuses when TFB shows interest in you, what's wrong with you MJD?  People would be jumping to play with TFB and for a SB ring.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

when i think of MJD i think he's been in the league for 15 years now.  thats how much his name weighs.  well worth it considering how YOUNG he is

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

No because of the money he would command.  If they got MJD they'd basically be kissing Hernandez goodbye imo.  I'd rather have a shot at keeping Hernandez who is a younger and more versatile player.  In addition what was the point of spending the draft picks on Ridley and Vereen if we don't give them a legitimate shot?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Adding my NO as well.

We need to pay Hernandez and our biggest need now is O-line and secondary...

Though it would be great to have a star RB, that is a luxury at this time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Not worth the $$....and if we are going to spend some cash....I think getting a stud lineman from somewhere would be better money spent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In Response to Re: MJD worth it?:
    [QUOTE]I have no problem with our young running backs...... a year or two from now.  I want superbowls now, I want at least 2 more before TFB hangs the cleats up and boy o boy would this offense be crazy with MJD at running back.  But I don't see it happening, what would the Pats have to sacrificed to get him, probably a whole lot and it might be a one step forward, two steps back situation.  Plus when TFB tried to recruit him at the SB media session last year MJD was making excuses about cold weather and stuff.  So I question the dudes heart.  Seriously, making excuses when TFB shows interest in you, what's wrong with you MJD?  People would be jumping to play with TFB and for a SB ring.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

no thanks unless he takes a discount to play here it won't happen.  BB doesn't value RB's that much.  lets see how the young guys handle the load. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

hopefully, bb will retain either a 3rd TE and/or a FB who can block for one of the young RBs currently in the stable....

not worth it for the patriots. Would rather see more money funneled towards defense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Of course MJD would appear to be a nice addition to the team, but I don't see BB making that kind of investment in a running back right now.  I also think that (since the Adalius Thomas experiment failed) BB is hesitant to pay big bucks to guys who haven't played on the team yet and therefore haven't proved they can thrive in the Pats' system.  He'll pay the money to guys who grew up here and have shown they can succeed on this particular team (Wilfork, Brady, Mankins, etc) . . . but I think he's reluctant to throw big money at guys whose prior success on other teams may not translate well to the Patriots.  That's why you won't see him play in the big free agent "sweepstakes" like the Mario Williams one this year. He's much more likely to go after an older, lower priced back who's nearing the end of his career and therefore can be had at a price that has less of a negative impact on the cap should the player not work out.