MMQB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

MMQB

Peter King writes in MMQB

The lessons of Aaron Hernandez.

There are so many. But I’ll write about three of them.

1. If I were New England owner Robert Kraft and coach Bill Belichick, I’d be asking my security people (and I am sure these questions are being asked now), “Are you telling me you knew nothing about Aaron Hernandez off the field? You’re telling me your moles in the Boston Police didn’t tell you anything about Hernandez a year ago, when a car Hernandez rented was the car of interest in a double murder in Boston? You’re telling me you never heard anything about Hernandez and the people he was associating with — because he sure wasn’t hanging with Tom Brady?” I know the Patriots can’t tail 53 guys. Or one. But the organization seemed to have dropped all suspicion in the last couple of years about a guy so many teams questioned before the 2010 draft — a guy who had very few close friends on the team, and who always seemed to go his own way when he left the facility. Kraft has to know that if Belichick is going to continue to draft from college football’s All-Risk Team, he’d better improve the quality of private eyes he employs.

2. Since Scott Pioli left the organization in 2009, Belichick doesn’t have anyone to argue him off troubled players. Not that Pioli won all the time. “But,” someone with knowledge of the Patriots front office told me, “there’s no one there with Scott’s balls anymore. Bill needs someone to challenge him, and I don’t think he has that now.” Would Pioli have challenged Belichick on Hernandez, or on Alfonzo Dennard, the seventh-round corner who will have to leave camp in August to go to a probation trial in Nebraska and who last week was arrested for DUI? I don’t know, and there’s no guarantee those picks wouldn’t have been made anyway. But this isn’t the first time I’ve heard the Pioli thing.

3. Belichick had better give the Urban Meyer guys a harder look in the future. He’s had either trouble of some kind or abject disappointment with Florida picks Hernandez, Chad Jackson, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes and Jeff Demps.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: MMQB

You said you were done with AH threads.

Oh, I see, you're providing a public service by passing on King's column.  Got it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

3. Belichick had better give the Urban Meyer guys a harder look in the future. He’s had either trouble of some kind or abject disappointment with Florida picks Hernandez, Chad Jackson, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes and Jeff Demps.

I'm not disappointed with the Spikes pick at all, Demps was a nothing pick that just wanted to run track (not BB's fault), Cunningham is here, and still has a shot.

Certainly disappointed in how AH turned out to be a thug, but that is far from BB's fault.

The only real bad pick was Jackson.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Sorry but some of this in hindsight again.

Where were all the media people with bad PR on Hernandez before this happened? If there was that much bad stuff happening around AH why has no reporter ever picked up on it. Isn't it there job to "uncover" stories and not just report on stories happening now?

I am not saying that there is nothing for Pats to learn from this. I think there is a lot. But learning usually involves failing. 

When Thomas Edison was interviewed by a young reporter who boldly asked Mr. Edison if he felt like a failure and if he thought he should just give up by now. Perplexed, Edison replied, "Young man, why would I feel like a failure? And why would I ever give up? I now know definitively over 9,000 ways that an electric light bulb will not work. Success is almost in my grasp." And shortly after that, and over 10,000 attempts, Edison invented the light bulb.

So the real story and question is not what the Pats did in the past, it is what will change in the future and what will they learn from this. Now when a writer write this and has a good insight to gain, let everyone know. Because that is the true story for the Pats. 

The Pats cut ties with AH and all that is left is learning from this bad experience. If they learn something maybe they will make better decisions in the future. We will have to wait and see.

I want camp to start and see how this team moves forward. I believe in next man up and adapt and overcome. That has been the Pats strengths as they rebuild. Let's see it in action again and if it works then the Pats maybe better off in the long run, without AH.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

All I really had to read at the beginning of the this thread were the two words Peter King.  Next topic?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Oh, I see, you're providing a public service by passing on King's column.  Got it.

I said I was done commenting. I am enjoying to the hilt posting what the football nation is thinking, and watching Rusty sweat as other opine about his man love

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I said I was done commenting. I am enjoying to the hilt posting what the football nation is thinking, and watching Rusty sweat as other opine about his man love

[/QUOTE]

Bill Belichick is going to the HOF whether or not Peter King, you, Donaldson, Ashley Fox or any other arrogant media head think they can continue to try to divert that from happening.

I have never seen a professional sports coach under such continuous attack via the media like this in the history of sports.

You could go back 70 years and you won't find it.  Even the media not liking Ted Williams wasn't anywhere near like this in this town or on a national level. There are non Pats fans at this point who think these ridiculous strides the media takes against BB are getting out of hand.  The opportunity and accessibility for the media with blogs, Twitter, etc, allows them no accountability within their profession and you applaud this?

Hey, how is Ray Lewis doing with his training so far at the company you work for? Has orientation started for him? ESPN have him all coached up, suggesting how he should talk about certain teams for ratings they want? You feel proud that you work for a company who hired a double murderer, do ya?

Hmm?

[/QUOTE]

if I had a HOF vote, I would vote in BB first day possible. if I had a HOF vote, I would not have voted for RLewis.

What does the RLewis situation have to do with the Pats doing the right thing with the AH situation? Since when do the Pats take their que from the Ravens? Since when does the Ravens botching the situation make botching the Hern situation ok?

Go back to trolling your Brady non sense...your barking up the wrong tree with your anti BB agenda Corky...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I guess I find King's statements less bothersome than some of the other media clowns calling for some soul baring statement from Belichick. Not sure how they add much to the discussion frankly. 

Kraft already said they're going to review the screening process, so fine, they'll do that. I'm sure BB won't want a repeat of this offseason ever again.

Pioli isn't coming back and who knows what would have happened had he stayed. But fine, I guess it's an interesting point to consider. Then I remember that he signed Jovan Belcher...nobody's perfect, but I don't remember the media calling for an investigation into how that happened? In fact, didn't I read that his picture (or his uni?) was displayed in their locker room after he killed a woman in cold blood?

As for the Florida players, it's kind of a mixed bag. Hernandez was great as a player, Spikes has been fine, Cunningham is still on the team. Demps was a UDFA, so no harm there and they managed to trade him for someone that might help. Jackson was a bum.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Did you just ask what you working for ESPN and working alongside Ray Lewis, a double murderer, Baltimore backed and kept for a decade, with NE releasing Hernandez before his trial, has to do with one another?

Why are you so interested in people's personal lives?  You spend a lot of time talking about where this guy works.  You press me for personal details all the time.

Why do you do that? 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

To expose the agenda. That's why.

Do you realize I guessed correctly with my astute observations that RKrap works for ESPN before he admitted he did?

When I saw him promoting the Jets here, while bashing BB's under the radar NCAA exclusive rebuild into the lockout, everything he said mirrrored ESPN's angle.

It's just priceless I was right again and got him to admit he works for the TMZ of sports.

Because his point of view (according to you) matches his thought process, it's an agenda?

Why do you keep asking me where I went to school?  Will my school expose my agenda?  I went to Rusty Fak University, also known as Rusty Fak U.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What? This is impossible. Rusty and others have admonished me thoroughly when I have claimed Spikes is nothing special whatsoever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm not disappointed with the Spikes pick at all, Demps was a nothing pick that just wanted to run track (not BB's fault), Cunningham is here, and still has a shot.

Certainly disappointed in how AH turned out to be a thug, but that is far from BB's fault.

The only real bad pick was Jackson.

[/QUOTE]

Of course you're not disappointed with the Spikes pick. Just as you probably weren't with the Butler, Chung and Meriweather picks.

Kool-aide soothes all misgivings about what a player actually does in the field. Then when BB lets them walk after the rookie contract, you can just forget you ever backed them up.

(And you have GOT to be completely kidding us about wasting a 2nd rounder on Cunningham. Even kool-aide isn't powerful enough to cause that kind of delusion.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

2. Since Scott Pioli left the organization in 2009, Belichick doesn’t have anyone to argue him off troubled players. Not that Pioli won all the time. “But,” someone with knowledge of the Patriots front office told me, “there’s no one there with Scott’s balls anymore.

As I have said for years now, BB has surrounded himself with yes men.

It's a burden to be right so often ;).

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have somebody around who could say, "Ahhh, hey Bill... that's a really stupid f'n idea".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Of course you're not disappointed with the Spikes pick. Just as you probably weren't with the Butler, Chung and Meriweather picks.

So now you are telling me what I "Probably" thought? Perhaps you should have a clue before you post?

Get help you miserable old geezer.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Did you just ask what you working for ESPN and working alongside Ray Lewis, a double murderer, Baltimore backed and kept for a decade, with NE releasing Hernandez before his trial, has to do with one another?

Why are you so interested in people's personal lives?  You spend a lot of time talking about where this guy works.  You press me for personal details all the time.

Why do you do that? 

[/QUOTE]

To expose the agenda. That's why.

Do you realize I guessed correctly with my astute observations that RKrap works for ESPN before he admitted he did?

When I saw him promoting the Jets here, while bashing BB's under the radar NCAA exclusive rebuild into the lockout, everything he said mirrrored ESPN's angle.

It's just priceless I was right again and got him to admit he works for the TMZ of sports.

[/QUOTE]

but I dont promote the Jets, you do...every week you offer more non sense about Jets, Jets, Jets...who cares about the Jets and Sanchez.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

So now you are telling me what I "Probably" thought? Perhaps you should have a clue before you post?

Get help you miserable old geezer.....

[/QUOTE]

OH NO YOU DI'INT!  Didn't you hear?  Making accurate observations about one's persona will immediately cast you into the Rusty suspect pool.  

May God be with you, tanbass...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

OH NO YOU DI'INT!  Didn't you hear?  Making accurate observations about one's persona will immediately cast you into the Rusty suspect pool.  

May God be with you, tanbass...

LOL......the wrath of the old coot.....oh my!!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Last week's column was better;

Guest MMQB: Austen Lane on the struggle to succeed on- and off-field

Sections
Shortcuts