Mo Claiborne

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Mo Claiborne

According to NFP it is rumored that Mo Claiborne scored a 4 on the Wonderlic. Whether he did or didn't is irrelevant to me. What I want to know is why do we have a number for every single physical skill these guys could possible have yet we know nothing about their Wonderlic score? Shouldn't Wonderlic scores be released along with everything else?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Mo Claiborne

He has a learning disability in which he has trouble reading. But, from coaches and even teachers he's actually pretty intelligent and picks up things quickly, just don't give him a book and ask him to give a report tomorrow

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Yeah, but learning disability or not, he still got a 4.  You have to be pretty stupid to score that low.  Without the learning disability, I doubt he scores very highly. Still, he will be picked up before the Pats have a shot at him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne:
    Yeah, but learning disability or not, he still got a 4.  You have to be pretty stupid to score that low.  Without the learning disability, I doubt he scores very highly. Still, he will be picked up before the Pats have a shot at him.
    Posted by titletownfan

So a young man with trouble reading bombs a written test and he is stupid?
    Why don't you plug your ears and see how you do on an oral test. I'm guessing a 4 would be quite an accomplishment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

There is no scientific correlation of the scoring on this test to NFL performance.  It has been discredited several times.
    I'm amazed that so many people still buy into it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne : So a young man with trouble reading bombs a written test and he is stupid? Why don't you plug your ears and see how you do on an oral test. I'm guessing a 4 would be quite an accomplishment.
    Posted by markes8336

Thank you for saying this. I thought having a server reading disability would hint that he would not perform well on a written test. I mean it's like asking a far sighted person to put a puzzle together without their glasses. Not the best measure of intelligence for someone with a reading disability

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

I think the real idiot/ demon here is the person that leaked this!

curious as to how this test really measures up. As I recall the only max was McInnally (Punter? TE? , for Cinn)   as you cn see i can't remember his football achievements only his wondrlick.

supposedly this has bearing on QB selection ...didnt seem to concern last years #1.

Ill bet Ryan Leaf scored high!

if Janoris Jenkins scored in the fiftys ..than s**t .. trade all 2012 pcks to jump up and get him!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

I think the real idiot/ demon here is the person that leaked this!

curious as to how this test really measures up. As I recall the only max was McInnally (Punter? TE? , for Cinn)   as you cn see i can't remember his football achievements only his wondrlick.

supposedly this has bearing on QB selection ...didnt seem to concern last years #1.

Ill bet Ryan Leaf scored high!

if Janoris Jenkins scored in the fiftys ..than s**t .. trade all 2012 pcks to jump up and get him!

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

far sighted or not, if you can't put a puzzle together without glasses then you are stupid.
    Posted by ricky12684

if you can't see the shape of the piece because it's completely blurry then it makes it a bit difficult to see how the pieces go together. Not to mention the picture would be completely blurry so you can't even line up the picture to see if it matches.

I'm guessing you don't wear glasses?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Look even mediocrity is acceptable to many in this country..... THIS IS A SCORE hat says he has less than avg ability to "reason" his way to an answer....

It is a score....   it is nothing more than something that might tell someone that IF he needs to learn something complex with his mind, and not use his instincts he "MAY" have difficulty doing so with out some assistance to get past his disability.

It does not mean that he is football stupid.... it does however mean that I would not let himbe my doctor, he probably will never get a job as a nuclear engineer, and most likely he will never travel on the international space center.... but that is NOT what they are testing him for..... they need man to run fast hit hard and go boom!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i'd probably ace that test. i can't play. it does not matter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

just scored a 39 on the wonderlic, still cant play in the nfl, but the test was fun.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Doesn't represent ability to play...it does represent basic knowledge and ability to think. Look up a few sample questions...not that challenging. How someone scores a four is beyond me...the creator, Charles Wonderlic, said that a score of 10 represents literacy. Literacy! This man gets a 4? He's fast, strong, has fluid hips, can turn and run, play zone and man, and loves football, but make no mistake about it...if he could not play football, what could he do with intelligence like that?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

school cash cow.  no need read. get diploma.  what exploited mean?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

school cash cow.  no need read. get diploma.  what exploited mean?
    Posted by seymonster

Amen, brother.

Here come the litany of excuses as to why Morris Claiborne scored a four (4)...yes, a four (4), on his Wonderlic test. His apologists use everything from Claiborne has a learning disability, to the tests are unfairly racially slanted, to blaming the NFL for giving a test that allegedly has "no correlation to performance on the field": http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/bus-cook-in-shock-about-claiborne-test-score/

Okay...let's take these excuses one at a time:

1.) Learning Disability: If Claiborne has one, than that's a shame. But, it seems to me that teams preparing to invest millions of dollars and a top 5 pick in a player would find this information quite relevant. They might have justifiable concerns that a guy with some kind of learning disability might have difficulty understanding the intricacies of an NFL pass coverage system/defense;

2.) Test is Racially Slanted: Claiborne's four (4)  is the lowest score on any player since 2000, when Iowa State RB Darren Davis also put up a four. Other than Vince Young, who rolled a six (6) on the Wonderlic, I can't recall another player doing so poorly. Multitudes of other African-American players who have taken the test have scored just fine;

3.) Wonderlic Has No Correlation to Performance: I refer you to my answer to Excuse #1. NFL defensive and offensive schemes can be quite complex. BB has always stated that he wants smart guys, who can understand his system, and are capable of playing more than one position within the system.
         It also could be indicative of future off-field problems for the player...exercising "poor judgement". 

Sorry...but these Claiborne apologists are all wet. I wonder if they studied "Excuse Making" under Professors Peyton Manning or Bill Polian, at the Peyton Passing Academy?

LOL!!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Two things I want to comment on here...

First he is not stupid he most likely has a form of dyslexia according to my wife who has spent the past 10 plus years working in the field of learning disabilities.  Some with extreem forms can have genius level intelligence but an inability to comprehend written text as their brains just do not assymilate the information the correct way.

Second, The Wonderlic is a close to useless stat for football purposes.  QB's Dan Marrino scored a 16 and Bradshaw 13 and then guys like Ryan Fitspatrick of the Bills scored a 48 in 9 minutes (testees are given 12 minutes to take the test) and is no Marrino. The Lions studdied the correlation or lack of as to the Wonderlic and NFL success and actually found it to be a negative to score well at some positions, not to mention some coaches do not want a player who is smarter then he is because it hurts his ability to command the room so to speak in meetings.

So my point is fine if you want to use it but it would not be a deciding factor mor of just a hint as to how I as a coach may have to deal with teaching my system to a certain individual.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Two things I want to comment on here... First he is not stupid he most likely has a form of dyslexia according to my wife who has spent the past 10 plus years working in the field of learning disabilities.  Some with extreem forms can have genius level intelligence but an inability to comprehend written text as their brains just do not assymilate the information the correct way.

RESPONSE: You could be right. But, if you owned a team and were considering spending a high draft pick and millions of dollars on this guy, wouldn't you want to know this before hand? 

Second, The Wonderlic is a close to useless stat for football purposes.  QB's Dan Marrino scored a 16 and Bradshaw 13 and then guys like Ryan Fitspatrick of the Bills scored a 48 in 9 minutes (testees are given 12 minutes to take the test) and is no Marrino. The Lions studdied the correlation or lack of as to the Wonderlic and NFL success and actually found it to be a negative to score well at some positions, not to mention some coaches do not want a player who is smarter then he is because it hurts his ability to command the room so to speak in meetings. So my point is fine if you want to use it but it would not be a deciding factor mor of just a hint as to how I as a coach may have to deal with teaching my system to a certain individual.

RESPONSE: In some cases, I'm sure you're right. But, we're not talking a "16" or a "10" score here. We're talking about a "4" score. It's the lowest score any player has posted in over a decade. As to the alleged "study" done by the Lions', I wouldn't put much stock in anything initiated by those long-time losers. 
    Posted by DaBlade

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I hear ya and I expect it will be used for a long time to come, but I think I would as I said take it into consideration but after watching the player play in college, seeing his performance at the combine and interviewing him to get a direct reed on him and then having him in for a visit pre draft I would not let a low score even a 4 keep me fron drafting him if he scored well in all other areas. Now if there are a couple guys who I am considering and the only major difference is the score on the Wonderlic then sure you go the other way all things being equal. I would just not take a player who didn't show me he was a better football player just because he scored well on a written test.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne : do you have a point?
    Posted by JintsFan

My point is clearly that Claiborne is not very intelligent. Thank god he can play football for a living.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne : My point is clearly that Claiborne is not very intelligent. Thank god he can play football for a living.
    Posted by TitleTown11

You do understand intelligence and reading comprehension are not exclusive to each other. Actually many extremely intelligent people had very poor reading skills (Einstein for one) but don't let that get in your way when commenting on intelligence vs a reading disability or anything

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne : You do understand intelligence and reading comprehension are not exclusive to each other. Actually many extremely intelligent people had very poor reading skills (Einstein for one) but don't let that get in your way when commenting on intelligence vs a reading disability or anything
    Posted by PatsEng

Here's an article on the subject:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/
    eagles/20120404_Claiborne_s_4_score_a_reason_2_worry_.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne :      Amen, brother.      Here come the litany of excuses    
    Posted by TexasPat3

Do you understand correlation?

This test is not a predictor of anything with respect to NFL performance.  Not at all.  Some players have scored poorly and excelled in the NFL, and some have scored extremely well and been NFL busts.

Sections
Shortcuts