Mo Claiborne

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Mo Claiborne

Thank you Z. I'm glad I'm not one of the only ones who actually understands the situation this kid might have been in.

I actually applaud him for even taking the test to begin with. He could have sighted his disability and not taken the test at all, yet he still took it because it's all part of the pre-draft process. To me that shows more character then anything else

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne:
    [QUOTE]envy is just a killer isn't it? many of us here have advanced degrees but would rather have a shot at a career where you earn gazillions of dollars playing a sport you love. and because he has that opportunity and we don't, we have to press on an imperfection he has. bottomline the 4 does not matter, whether it's dyslexia or he's dumb, because he's proven he ca play.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Ditto. 

Claiborne was one of the savviest Tigers I've seen roll through Death Valley. 

For those here that DON'T know about college football, John Chavis' defensive schemes are more complicated than a host of NFL teams out there. It's full of shifting responsibilities based on who is sent as a rusher, and it's full of multiple look fronts. 

If Claiborne can "get" that, and excel at it, I'm pretty sure he won't be impeded by some banal tampa-two offense from the NFL, and could just as easily digest the multiple looks that BB likes to give. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you Z. I'm glad I'm not one of the only ones who actually understands the situation this kid might have been in. I actually applaud him for even taking the test to begin with. He could have sighted his disability and not taken the test at all, yet he still took it because it's all part of the pre-draft process. To me that shows more character then anything else
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Dude, no problem. Really. 

There really isn't a way to even administer the wonderlic to a person with LD. The best approximation would be reading it out loud and repeating the question the three times. Even then. 

The good thing for people like Claiborne, is once you are on the football field that stuff falls to the side, and the skills that he does have, like recognizing where in space the offense is going, what they are trying to do to the defense, where the other defenders are, and what his responsibilities are, come into play. 

I'd take his football IQ over any other corner in the draft. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne : Dude, no problem. Really.  There really isn't a way to even administer the wonderlic to a person with LD. The best approximation would be reading it out loud and repeating the question the three times. Even then.  The good thing for people like Claiborne, is once you are on the football field that stuff falls to the side, and the skills that he does have, like recognizing where in space the offense is going, what they are trying to do to the defense, where the other defenders are, and what his responsibilities are, come into play.  I'd take his football IQ over any other corner in the draft. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if it's the same for Claiborne but the LD student I tutored was extremely bright when it came to understanding concepts and breaking down how mechanics work. If he could just see it done live or do it with his own hands he could replicate and improve on it very easily.  But, if you gave him a book it was almost useless. Watching film on Claiborne I feel he's a similar type of learner. Once he's on the field and coaches show him how to do it them he's fine, which is something a written test can never replicate

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, but learning disability or not, he still got a 4.  You have to be pretty stupid to score that low.  Without the learning disability, I doubt he scores very highly. Still, he will be picked up before the Pats have a shot at him.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

As an educator I am disgusted by comments like this.

I am confronted by the crippling truth that certain students, even those without a learning disability, can excel in multiple situations (plays, art, group projects, research, orchestra, power point presentations, etc.) but not pass standardized tests. And portions of these tests have been proven to be racist. It is a tragic issue/flaw in the education system.

The young man played in a complex defense and was an elite defender. The inability to do well on a wonderlic test doesn't concern me, especially if he has a learning disabilty and it is a timed situation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Some people are just not understanding the fundamental flaw here.  Put aside any LD issue.  The test itself does not stand up under any acceptable scientific examination as a predictor of NFL performance.   Period.

This test was developed for other fields.  It was later extended for use in the NFL.  It has been discredited several times for its use in the NFL.  At least one study has shown that it is worse as a predictor than flipping a coin, so to speak.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Some people are just not understanding the fundamental flaw here.  Put aside any LD issue.  The test itself does not stand up under any acceptable scientific examination as a predictor of NFL performance.   Period. This test was developed for other fields.  It was later extended for use in the NFL.  It has been discredited several times for its use in the NFL.  At least one study has shown that it is worse as a predictor than flipping a coin, so to speak.
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the NFL knows this. He won't slide. If he does, I hope NE has the sense to take him as a steal. He would improve what they have now. The kid is bonafide. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Mo Claiborne:
    [QUOTE]According to NFP it is rumored that Mo Claiborne scored a 4 on the Wonderlic. Whether he did or didn't is irrelevant to me. What I want to know is why do we have a number for every single physical skill these guys could possible have yet we know nothing about their Wonderlic score? Shouldn't Wonderlic scores be released along with everything else?
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]

lol

That's a Bustchise/Phat Rex, Prolate and Hurl type of score.  I am sure the Raiders will love to draft Claiborne.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mo Claiborne : As an educator I am disgusted by comments like this. I am confronted by the crippling truth that certain students, even those without a learning disability, can excel in multiple situations (plays, art, group projects, research, orchestra, power point presentations, etc.) but not pass standardized tests. And portions of these tests have been proven to be racist. It is a tragic issue/flaw in the education system. The young man played in a complex defense and was an elite defender. The inability to do well on a wonderlic test doesn't concern me, especially if he has a learning disabilty and it is a timed situation.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I was pretty bad at Algebra.  Algebra was founded by the Greeks and I am not Greek. I feel that's "racist". lol

Please, dude.  Now questions are "racist"? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Wonderlic is also not an accurate bellwether of a players' performance.  Wonderlic scores of recent Pats corners ... Darius Butler was a 25, Devin McCourty was a 28. Asante Samuel was a 9. A 9.  We know Butler was a bust. What are the chances that DMC has a career as good as Samuel's? Even without that context, Samuel's 9 score was only fractionally better than Claiborne ... Samuel doesn't even have a reading disability, and he worked out just fine. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Samuel was taken in the 4th round. There's a difference and that difference is money/risk.

You don't spend millions on a stupid CB who played on a loaded defense at LSU who is as dumb as a bag of rocks outside Bustchise's basement.  The guy scored a 4 which means he's really dumb or scored a 4 as a joke/on purpose.

You have terrible analysis on this stuff. That's great that you like LSU and Claiborne, but I will laugh my balls off when some stupid organization picks a dumbo in Round 1.  You're supposed to draft on projected impact and value not what the kid did on loaded LSU teams at the NCAA level.

NO THANKS (unless they get their guy at 27 and roll the dice with him at 31).