mock 2010 draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

mock 2010 draft

the other draft thread is getting way too long how about this draft? i would not be opposed to trading away the 1st rounder for a 2nd and a 3rd. that would enable us to pick up kyle wilson CB (boise state) and ensure that we get veldheer by selecting him in the 3rd round. although odrick is quite the DT. Round 1 Jared Odrick DT (Penn State) Round 2 Jerry Hughes OLB (TCU) Aaron Hernandez TE (Florida) Jahvid Best, RB (California) or Toby Gerhart RB (Stanford) Round 4 Jared Veldheer OT (Hillsdale)I am really high on this guy he is another vollmer. Round 5 Torrel Troup NT (Central Florida) Round 6 Perry Riley OLB (LSU) Round 7 Zoltan Mesko P (Michigan) or Jeremy Boone P (Penn State) Richard Dickson TE/FB (LSU) FA In FA we resign bodden, gostowski, mankins, watson, and wilfork bring in TO or marshall, Jason Taylor, and go after peppers

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Re: mock 2010 draft

In Response to mock 2010 draft:
    the other draft thread is getting way too long how about this draft? i would not be opposed to trading away the 1st rounder for a 2nd and a 3rd. that would enable us to pick up kyle wilson CB (boise state) and ensure that we get veldheer by selecting him in the 3rd round. although odrick is quite the DT. Round 1 Jared Odrick DT (Penn State) Round 2 Jerry Hughes OLB (TCU) Aaron Hernandez TE (Florida) Jahvid Best, RB (California) or Toby Gerhart RB (Stanford) Round 4 Jared Veldheer OT (Hillsdale)I am really high on this guy he is another vollmer. Round 5 Torrel Troup NT (Central Florida) Round 6 Perry Riley OLB (LSU) Round 7 Zoltan Mesko P (Michigan) or Jeremy Boone P (Penn State) Richard Dickson TE/FB (LSU) FA In FA we resign bodden, gostowski, mankins, watson, and wilfork bring in TO or marshall, Jason Taylor, and go after peppers
    Posted by natesubs

TO or Marshall? No, sorry, not happening. A big-play receiver that's going to require some serious dough is the least of our concerns. Bring in someone like Devon Bess, or Anquan Boldin. I just don't see BB going after another big play receiver. As for the draft, that looked somewhat realistic. And for Peppers and Taylor, I wouldn't mind getting either. Both BB's type of players. High motors, and they provide a needed pass rush.

We'll see. I'm hopeful that with Belichick taking a more active role on the defensive side of the ball, that maybe we'll see some new schemes. Also, a very overlooked aspect of BB focusing on defense, is that this now gives Tom and Bill O'Brien time to gel, and develop some chemistry, hopefully making the offense better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriothead22. Show Patriothead22's posts

I really like what you have, but the second round seems a bit unrealistic.  Hughes and Best could easily go in the 1st round, although I think they will go early second, and Hernandez is somehow 24 on Kiper's big board (over Gresham). 

Hell if we could get Odrick, Hughes, Best, AND Hernandez I would be absolutely estatic. 

In order, by pick, I would want:

Brandon Graham DE/OLB(Round 1)
    Brandon Ghee CB (Round 2)
    Alex Carrington DE/DT(Round 2)
    Andre Roberts WR(Round 2)
    Montario Hardesty RB(Round 4)
    Kevin Haslem OT/G(Round 6) (This guy has versitility.  He played both guard and right tackle at Rutgers)
    Cory Jackson FB(Round 7)
    Zoltan Mesko P (Round 7)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I do not know all the college players and only now starting to get a look. I like everything that I read (on boht mock pages) when looking to start the draft with defense.

The Pats need to strengthen their DL, but I don't believe the Pats need a DT in the first round. They will sign/franchise VW and have one more year for Brace to get up to speed.

Therefore, the first need is a 3-4 OLB to get to the passer
    Next is DE to stabilize the DL. Which in 2009 was non-existent. Either will help the CB situation. 

There is nothing out there for 3-4 DE/OLB in FA and lets face it Seymour/Vrabel would have been gone now anyway. So I expect the Pats to see what falls to them in the first round or maybe trade up if they like someone. Shocker as they do not traditionally do this. But I see the move up coming from a 2011 pick (lock out year).

CB, as I do not beleive they Bodden. If they do resign Bodden, then this would be a later pick.

WR as the team needs a 2nd receiver and possible replace for Moss.

OG, I see the Patriots using a trade to move up into the 3rd round to get someone rather than waiting until the 4th round. If they move up this will also come from a 2011 pick .

There is a huge need at RB, but I still view the team going by committee. Maybe this is the year the Law Firm gets his chance.

TE, although this is a low pick for the Patriots at this position, The Pats have not used the TE as much since 2007. I still would not be surprised if the Pats draft a TE in an earlier round.

P This past year was not the worst year for Hanson, the area that hurt the Pats the most for special teams was tackling! So for me the only special teams need you can draft at this point is P.

OLB
    DE
    CB
    WR
    OG
    RB
    TE
    P

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I would be estatic if we ended up with those first 4 picks.  Odrick, Hughes, Hernandez, and Best would be great and it's quite possible that they would be there for those selections. 

The first 2 rounds seem deeper than usual and we really need to hit on all 4 or our first day picks to keep the dynasty going.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

nate here's my lastest mock I posted on the other thread.
    on your mock, Odrick might not be available at 22 Mike Mayock has him ranked as the their best DL only behind McCoy and Suh.  I am not high on Hughes and he will be available in the 2nd round.  Hernandez and Best are good value where you have them, lots of fans on the other thread love hernandez.
    I'm oposite of going offence, my first 5 picks are going to d.  I think the RB stays as is for 2010 and at WR we pickup a couple of FAs (Torry Holt, Branch).  Here's what I got them going after and y
    1st Rnd #22- Brandon Graham OLB 6'1" 260lbs
    he would bring pass rush from the weak side, will be everything AD was supposed to be.  High motor, great character kid who will start from day 1 and will give NE 7 to 10 sacks from the weak side his first year.  The sky is the limit for this kid.
    2nd 44th - Dominique Franks CB 6'0" 192lbs
    Played in one of college footballs most pass happy conferences.  He did not have the numbers his Jr. year but he it was more teams did not throw as much to  his side than he not playing at a high level.  With Kyle Wilson moving up into the 1st round Franks could fall to us he would be able to start in case Bodden is not signed. If Kyle Wilson is available here he's the pick.
    2nd 47th - LaMarr Houston DE 6'3" 302 
    Very versitable player, good against the run and has the speed to get to the QB.  Only has a couple of years experience at DL but I think this is a possitive as he'll come in and be shaped into what BB wants a DE to do.
    2nd 53rd - Kam Chancellor S 6'3" 232lbs
    I am not sold on Merri, Chancellor who has the speed of a CB and the size of a LB would be a great addition to the secondary.  I know we have Chung learning and waiting but here's my thought.  Move Merri to CB (where he has experience playing at Miami), Sanders at FS while Chancellor learns the position (i don't like McGowan at all) Chung and Chancellor at SS.  By end of season Chung SS Chancellor FS or have Kam add 10 lbs and he can move to ILB, he is a rare talent who with the right coaching will be a star.  
    4th - George Selvie OLB 6'4" 247lbs
    Want pass rush? Here it is, needs to improve coverage skills but the guy smells the QB. 
    6th - Richard Dickson TE 6'3" 245lbs
    He is more of a pass catching TE is good enough at blocking to stay in plays and not give Ds a sign of a pass play is coming.  Good route runner, played in the SEC so proven against the nations top talent.
    7th 1 - Alfonso Smith RB 6'1" 209lbs
    Will need to develop but will be able to contribute as KR/PR his rookie year.  Great speed good hands.  He is a guy who would benifit to watch and learn from Kevin Faulk.
    7th 2 - Will Baker OT 6'7" 310
    Will be the starting RT for the Patriots, I have not found consistant enough reports on him about what round he's projected in but if he is in the 7th its great value.  What it is consistant are the scouting reports which all agree he projects to be a solid RT in the NFL.

At WR, I think FA will play a part in it.  We should also get a 6th and a 7th comp pick which I would use for a WR and OG.
    if 6th comp pick
    Marcus Easley WR 6'3" 214-would develop into a solid #1 if pats hit again as they did with TB in the 6th Easley has it all to be a #1.
    if 7th comp pick
    can't decide between:
    Corey Peters DE 6'3" 295 - Might be more of a 6th rounder
    Travis Ivey NT 6'4" 341 - depth at NT and a large DT in a 43

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: mock 2010 draft:
    [QUOTE]nate here's my lastest mock I posted on the other thread. on your mock, Odrick might not be available at 22 Mike Mayock has him ranked as the their best DL only behind McCoy and Suh.  I am not high on Hughes and he will be available in the 2nd round.  Hernandez and Best are good value where you have them, lots of fans on the other thread love hernandez. I'm oposite of going offence, my first 5 picks are going to d.  I think the RB stays as is for 2010 and at WR we pickup a couple of FAs (Torry Holt, Branch).  Here's what I got them going after and y 1st Rnd #22- Brandon Graham OLB 6'1" 260lbs he would bring pass rush from the weak side, will be everything AD was supposed to be.  High motor, great character kid who will start from day 1 and will give NE 7 to 10 sacks from the weak side his first year.  The sky is the limit for this kid. 2nd 44th - Dominique Franks CB 6'0" 192lbs Played in one of college footballs most pass happy conferences.  He did not have the numbers his Jr. year but he it was more teams did not throw as much to  his side than he not playing at a high level.  With Kyle Wilson moving up into the 1st round Franks could fall to us he would be able to start in case Bodden is not signed. If Kyle Wilson is available here he's the pick. 2nd 47th - LaMarr Houston DE 6'3" 302  Very versitable player, good against the run and has the speed to get to the QB.  Only has a couple of years experience at DL but I think this is a possitive as he'll come in and be shaped into what BB wants a DE to do. 2nd 53rd - Kam Chancellor S 6'3" 232lbs I am not sold on Merri, Chancellor who has the speed of a CB and the size of a LB would be a great addition to the secondary.  I know we have Chung learning and waiting but here's my thought.  Move Merri to CB (where he has experience playing at Miami), Sanders at FS while Chancellor learns the position (i don't like McGowan at all) Chung and Chancellor at SS.  By end of season Chung SS Chancellor FS or have Kam add 10 lbs and he can move to ILB, he is a rare talent who with the right coaching will be a star.   4th - George Selvie OLB 6'4" 247lbs Want pass rush? Here it is, needs to improve coverage skills but the guy smells the QB.  6th - Richard Dickson TE 6'3" 245lbs He is more of a pass catching TE is good enough at blocking to stay in plays and not give Ds a sign of a pass play is coming.  Good route runner, played in the SEC so proven against the nations top talent. 7th 1 - Alfonso Smith RB 6'1" 209lbs Will need to develop but will be able to contribute as KR/PR his rookie year.  Great speed good hands.  He is a guy who would benifit to watch and learn from Kevin Faulk. 7th 2 - Will Baker OT 6'7" 310 Will be the starting RT for the Patriots, I have not found consistant enough reports on him about what round he's projected in but if he is in the 7th its great value.  What it is consistant are the scouting reports which all agree he projects to be a solid RT in the NFL. At WR, I think FA will play a part in it.  We should also get a 6th and a 7th comp pick which I would use for a WR and OG. if 6th comp pick Marcus Easley WR 6'3" 214 -would develop into a solid #1 if pats hit again as they did with TB in the 6th Easley has it all to be a #1. if 7th comp pick can't decide between: Corey Peters DE 6'3" 295 - Might be more of a 6th rounder Travis Ivey NT 6'4" 341 - depth at NT and a large DT in a 43
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

why wold you want to take a safety? that is one of our deepest positions? We need a hard hitting RB like Jhavid best. we already have the fast shifty back in maroney.  Why is everyone obsessed with bringing in holt? he is old and probebly won't be able to grasp our complex playbook at his age. plus we want younger players on this team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Holt is a solid route runner, has played in this type of offense before and he is still productive.  If you are making your comparison to Galloway last year they are different players.  Holt still raked up over 700 yrds with David Garard throwing to him and not much more depth at WR.  He would benifit from RM and Edelman getting much of the attention add Tate and holt will have a nice year.  I agree a younger WR is needed but Tate is the wildcard here, he's a 1st rnd talent. 

On the safety, I do not like McGowan and think he should go.  As I also mention I would move Merri to CB, this is a position he has played before and would shortern the field for him, he would be a soid CB. 

BB loves guys who can do multiple things Chancellor is that type of safety.  I know we need to get younger in the back field but with all the passes LM has gotten I think he'll get another and be the lead back next year with Taylor and lawfirm in the mix, sammy morris might be odd man out.

I really like Alfonso Smith to come in into a 3rd down back option who could also run between the tackles.  He will need to develop which he'll get the chance with Laura running the rock one more year.  He's not the big name but gives you speed and fresh legs as well as a very good KR/PR which we need. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

you really can not mock the patriots draft because ther will be movement prior to the draft that will change these picks.

Scenario 1) The Patriots sign Wilfork - this meens Mankins is more than likely gone... So there priority would shift being that they have DT talent (Wilfork, Brace, Prior, Wright,)

They would need to Draft a successor for Jarvis Green in the 2nd round and pick up a veteran to back up Mike Wright... Preferrably a DE with 3-4 experience.

Marrcous Spears would be a good fit as a rotational player, he has been in dallas's 3-4 for some time and played @ LSU under Saban.

If Wilfork signs and we sign DE help it would change the outcome of the draft to;

1) OLB - Grahm, Kindle, Hughes, Sapp
    2a) OG - Trade Down to 25 through 30 for Mike Iupati, Idaho (He is bigger than Mankins and could play OT if needed, he is considered the best OL in the draft, but seeing how he is list @ OG he could be taken @ the very end of round 1... the patriots could package a second this year (44) and a second next year (60's) with a fifth this year.

2b) ILB - Brandon Spike's - Spikes is a bit too slow for a 4-3 deffense but he would be great on first and second as a run stuffing ILB.

If the patriots tendor Mankins and get a first and a 3rd we would have to mock this again as the patriots would earn additional compensation.

Scenario 2) The Patriots sign Mankins and Tag Wilfork to gain picks from another organization.... First the Patriots a team willing to pay more than 23 million in garantees and Wilfork would have to work out a Sign/Trade.

The Patriots would not be able to get 2 first round picks for this guy so a sign and trade deal involving Wilfork... Similar to the Cassel deal would have to take place. Or Wilfork would have to sign his tendor, the Patriots would have to agree with the compensation i.e. Tampa Bay's 1st round pick (of course they would trade it down or OUT) but the three parties would have to have positive dialogue before Wilfork would feel comfortable signing the tender.

If this does take place the Draft in my mind becomes defense heavy

1a) (10 to 15) OLB/DE  3-4/4-3 hybrid - Dunlap FL Gators i know dunlap is a 4-3 hands down bull rusher but he has the speed and the capability to come of the edge in a stand up roll... he is a very versatile pick and he would fit into the "Big Nickle" base defense if it was employed.
    1b) Terrance Cody NT... imaging this guy standing on the side of Brace in a 4-3 nickle or dime is scary... with the two of them we would be able to stunt our DE's and MLB's more than we have in the p[ast weeing how that is the strength of the Defense at the moment.
    2a) OLB Jerry Hughes... Hughes does not have the height BB is looking for off the edge but he is a beast and at 47 he would be the best available player
    2c) Joe McKnight - 3rd down backof the future... he will see time in motion from the back field to the slot... and hopfully he helps us overcome the loss of Welker as he will be on the PUP until week 9.

2d) 2nd compensatory pick for Mankins - BENN of Illinouis - I feel the Atlanta Falcons could be a suiter for Mankins, they need him for one, there running game relies on RUN blocking mean OG's like Mankins and of course you have the Caserio Dimitrioff connection... If the patriots get Atlanta's 1st in a sign and trade that would be sufficent... unless the Falcons pick up a Second in trade from now until the draft.

Sign - Bodden,

Cut Thomas and Springs

Tender - Manins and Wilfork

Sign one of the tenders either Mankins or Wilfork we cannot afford both and extend Brady.

Look for FA help @ DE/DT

Let Watson and Green walk... if they have good years we will get great com[pensatory picks for them in 2010

Sign a WR... Boldin would be nice Marshall would be a long shot but a nice peice

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: mock 2010 draft : why wold you want to take a safety? that is one of our deepest positions? We need a hard hitting RB like Jhavid best. we already have the fast shifty back in maroney.  Why is everyone obsessed with bringing in holt? he is old and probebly won't be able to grasp our complex playbook at his age. plus we want younger players on this team.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

What is your definition of hard hitting?

Jahvid Best is listed at 5-10 195, Maroney is listed at 5-11 210.  How do you consider Best hard hitting and Maroney fast and shifty?  Maroney may dance in the hole a bit, but did you watch him demolish 2nd level defenders last year? Best is the epitome of fast and shifty with a skill set similar to Chris Johnson....

If you want a hard hitting back, tough, grind it out type back, you need to look at guys like Gerhart, Dwyer, Blount and Charles Scott.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

lots of good reading and it shows why the fans of the Patriots are so knowledgeable,a lot of different scenarios.I bet you all would really like to be a fly on the draft board wall at the Razor! I know I would !! There are many good players in this draft so many that the biggest thing that the Patriots need to do is make sure that the players who drop out of the draft are kept in contact with..These guys could wind up being the steals of the Century!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

pats, i like your #47 best. i fully agree with your assessment of houston. he was projected to be a 3rd rounder back in jan. based on how i saw him play in three games including their bowl game, i think he's a legit mid-2nd rounder. good now, with lots of upside. fast and strong (physically and mentally). i think he could be the seymour replacement.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

pats, i like your #47 best. i fully agree with your assessment of houston. he was projected to be a 3rd rounder back in jan. based on how i saw him play in three games including their bowl game, i think he's a legit mid-2nd rounder. good now, with lots of upside. fast and strong (physically and mentally). i think he could be the seymour replacement.
    Posted by seattlepat70

thanks seattle, saw Mike Mayock agree with us.  He has him as one of those DL on the rise. The kid has only played DL for two years, his upside is better than just about any other player in the draft.  In the SB he played very well and took and beat double teams. 
    This kid would be RS replacement and take care of that weakside DE spot for years or in a 43 set you kick him inside and watch him collapse the pocket.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Posted by seattlepat70

Great point.  I live out here in So Cal so I follow USC a lot.  When this kid was a freshman everyone was talking him up like he'd be a first round pick.  Now he seems entrenched in the 3rd.  McKnight has decent size, 6-0, 190 and runs a blistering 4.42.  McKnight is excellent as a receiver and could be the heir apparent to Faulk.  If we could trade our #22 down to say #28 we could still land Odrick and pick up a 3rd where we could get him.

USC junior tailback Joe McKnight, the team's leading rusher in 2009, announced today (Jan. 8) that he will forego his senior years of collegiate eligibility and declare for the NFL draft. McKnight became USC's 26th 1,000-yard rusher in a season when he had 1,014 yards on 164 carries with 8 TDs in 2009 as the starting tailback. He also caught 22 passes for 146 yards. As a 2008 sophomore, he had 659 yards on 89 carries with 2 TDs, plus 21 receptions for 193 yards with 1 TD. He ran for 540 yards on 94 carries with 3 touchdowns, caught 23 passes for 203 yards with 1 TD and returned 19 punts for 160 yards (8.4 avg.) as a freshman in 2007. He had 2,213 career rushing yards to rank 14th on USC's career list, with 7 career 100-yard rushing games. He had 14 career games with at least 100 all-purpose yards. He had 66 career receptions. "The time is right," McKnight told ESPN earlier today. "This was my first healthy season and I really don't want to come back and risk injury." - USC football