Monday Night Clowns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Monday Night Clowns

Has anyone else been disgusted by the MNF combo of Gruden, Tireco, and Jaws? I think it's time to end this horrible experiment after this season. The Packers-Vikings game was absolutely the most poorly announced game in MNF HISTORY. Gruden adds nothing. How about some actual commentary about the game. They completely missed the horrible clock management by the Jets last night which is not surprising. I miss Madden already...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: Monday Night Clowns

In Response to Monday Night Clowns:
    Has anyone else been disgusted by the MNF combo of Gruden, Tireco, and Jaws? I think it's time to end this horrible experiment after this season. The Packers-Vikings game was absolutely the most poorly announced game in MNF HISTORY. Gruden adds nothing. How about some actual commentary about the game. They completely missed the horrible clock management by the Jets last night which is not surprising. I miss Madden already...
    Posted by jam757

I was talking with a friend about this today. Just awful.  Jaws is loathsome and Gruden's voice sounds just like Jaws'.  That's like casting a movie with two unknown actors that look alike.  Confusing.

And what about the mistakes?  Names called wrong.  Penalties called wrong.  They completely missed how on the Jets' final TD after the atrocious P/I call that the runner was more than a yard short of the TD.  In turn, they missed discussing that maybe the Dolphins saw this, decided to forgoe a challenge, concluding it was better to conceed to the Jets the (nearly inevitable) score, and keep more time on the clock by which to score for the win. Even latter-Madden would have noticed this. These guys are supposed to know more than us and lend inciteful commentary, not state the obvious and miss other glaring game highlights.

I don't need to elaborate on the irriating man-crushes on certain QBs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

To be fair, they were also quick to point out how menial and dubious the pass interference call was in the first place.

I *LOVED* listening to Gruden break down 96 Powercat or whatever the run was from the I formation where the guard pulled.  It was excellent.  It was also fun to watch Bill Callahan break down assignments versus different techniques.

But since they didn't effusively love the Patriots and cheer the Dolphins on, I guess it was a bad broadcast...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Monday Night Clowns:
    To be fair, they were also quick to point out how menial and dubious the pass interference call was in the first place. I *LOVED* listening to Gruden break down 96 Powercat or whatever the run was from the I formation where the guard pulled.  It was excellent.  It was also fun to watch Bill Callahan break down assignments versus different techniques. But since they didn't effusively love the Patriots and cheer the Dolphins on, I guess it was a bad broadcast...
    Posted by NickC1188

Huh??????????? 

Actually, I am getting sick of hearing talking heads talk about how great Brady is for 50% of the game, while ignoring the other QB and most of the other players from both teams.  I really like Brady.  I don't need them to gush and gush and gush ad nauseum about Brady... or a Manning...or Brees... or Favre.  A little? OK, but c'mon! 

Yeah, Gruden is the best of the three on the Xs and Os, but like I wrote, he sounds just like the repulsive Jaws. He made the Packers/vikings match almost intolerable with his gushing on Favre.

Give me a Collinsworth, a Gregg Gumble..heck, I would rather have Dennis Miller than Jaws.  (Not really, but it is close.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Mute button.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Monday Night Clowns : Huh???????????  Actually, I am getting sick of hearing talking heads talk about how great Brady is for 50% of the game, while ignoring the other QB and most of the other players from both teams.  I really like Brady.  I don't need them to gush and gush and gush ad nauseum about Brady... or a Manning...or Brees... or Favre.  A little? OK, but c'mon!  Yeah, Gruden is the best of the three on the Xs and Os, but like I wrote, he sounds just like the repulsive Jaws. He made the Packers/vikings match almost intolerable with his gushing on Favre. Give me a Collinsworth, a Gregg Gumble..heck, I would rather have Dennis Miller than Jaws.  (Not really, but it is close.)
    Posted by chrisakawoody

My favorites would be Simms/Nantz.  Second would be Collinsworth/Michaels (though not so much Michaels).  Otherwise, I'd take last night's crew.  Pickings are slim for good football announcers right now.

I just wish TV wasn't on a delay so I could mute the TV and listen to [whatever they're calling wherever the Pats' broadcast is nowadays] and their call (the artists formerly known as WBCN).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hey, don't want to hear the announcers and listen to them beat a dead horse?  Try this...

TiVo the game, then play it on speed #1... you get through the game fast and see the action in blissful silence.  You don't need announcers to get excited or scream at a bad call.  While it is being Tivo'd, I'm at the golf course and don't listen to the radio home at all...  keep the final result a mystery!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

That Farve love-fest a couple weeks ago was utterly nauesating. I hope like hell the Vikings don't make the playoffs - they'll need mops in the espn studios for all the drool on the floor.

Most announcers seem unable to let the drama of the game speak for itself - this was the great thing about Summerall - less was more. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

That Farve love-fest a couple weeks ago was utterly nauesating. I hope like hell the Vikings don't make the playoffs - they'll need mops in the espn studios for all the drool on the floor. Most announcers seem unable to let the drama of the game speak for itself - this was the great thing about Summerall - less was more. 
    Posted by BelichickDisciple

I was trolling on the Vikings board on kfan.com a couple days ago, and the place went ballistic when some guy suggested that the Viklings are this year's 2008 Tennessee Titans.

Frankly, it was beyond hilarious.

Personally, I can see the similarities.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

All the Masters are gone: Cosell. Gowdy, Cusick etc. etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Howard Cosell could speak in complete sentences but I would hardly call him a master. A master of smug, self-serving arrogance perhaps.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Actually, "Chucky" bothers me less than the other two because every time they show his face, I laugh at the thought of...well, Chucky. lmao

Beyond that I do think MNF talking heads need to change. But who are the strongest candidates? Frankly, it would be nice to have completely non-biased commentators for a change (however unlikely).

I will say that a guy that I always enjoyed listening to in the booth was Jerry Glanville (I'm sure I'm alone here) because he was just so d*mn amusing and hyper. lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Monday Night Clowns:
    Posted by jam757

Wouldn't it stand to reason that perhaps a recently retired ref would be a great announcer? No one knows the rules better than those guys. Of course it would have to be someone with an on-air 'personality'. Just a thought.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Monday Night Clowns : Wouldn't it stand to reason that perhaps a recently retired ref would be a great announcer? No one knows the rules better than those guys. Of course it would have to be someone with an on-air 'personality'. Just a thought.
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats

If they can find a ref with broadcast skills, OK, otherwise it is like putting an ex-player in their with no broadcast skills.  There would bound to be somebody to fit that bill.  Interesting take.

Sections
Shortcuts