More Cap space with Mankins on board for 6 yrs, WHO'S NEXT?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

More Cap space with Mankins on board for 6 yrs, WHO'S NEXT?

Well Mankins just got singed long-term and that now frees up some cap space. 

Maybe enough to get Roth for 1 year 3 Mil?

Does this move align with another move, or are the Pats done for now? 

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: More Cap space with Mankins on board for 6 yrs, WHO'S NEXT?

Roth for 2.5mil sounds even better. I do think this sets up for another move but it might be for a S.  Reports are that BB doesn't like what Meriweather is doing and is looking for a replacement. I would still love Roth on the team but S might be the bigger priority if they plan to trade Meriweather

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Extension for Welker

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

what are the numbers for mankins?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: More Cap space with Mankins on board for 6 yrs, WHO'S NEXT?:
    [QUOTE]what are the numbers for mankins?
    Posted by lippa[/QUOTE]

No "Official" numbers yet!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

well I dont get  how people are saying this lowers  cap money if its not out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]well I dont get  how people are saying this lowers  cap money if its not out.
    Posted by lippa[/QUOTE]

He was supposed to make 10.1 million...The assumption (they could be wrong) from the media is that there is a signing bonus and the money is spread out over the term of the contract, lowering the salary cap this season

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

ok thank you

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian R. Rapoport 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Ian R. Rapoport 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^team friendly deals for players of that caliber if there ever was a such a thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

lol that leaves plenty of cap space now for a couple more signings and to re-up a couple of guys.

King - I don't think they would trade Meriweather until they have another vet in to replace him. Hence why I think they brought in Goldson for a workout

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

How many new guys can a defense add from one year to another without collapsing?

and how can this new group adjust to a new system ?

this can be tricky !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

sorry, but no one wants roth

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Where are all you guys who complained the Pats blew their draft by not seeking a pass rusher?Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Id say the obvious answer is matt roth since he lowered his demands. 

a guy i like that hasnt been released, but could be soon is Lee Evans WR, Bills. Always been a solid WR and will likely not get much attention on the market. Yea i know, another WR. This guy would give us 4 solid veterans.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]Id say the obvious answer is matt roth since he lowered his demands.  a guy i like that hasnt been released, but could be soon is Lee Evans WR, Bills. Always been a solid WR and will likely not get much attention on the market. Yea i know, another WR. This guy would give us 4 solid veterans.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]
    Don't we need 4 solid veteran WR's to offset the jets secondary? Are Tate and Price going to have big games in a playoff game against the jets?
    I am with you on this, Roth and Evans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Price has been getting rave reviews at camp, besides we have Hernandez. We don't need Evans. That's not to mention that the Jets don't have a slot CB (right now I believe it's Wilson). Get past Revis and Cro and they have no one that can cover our #3 guy or Hernandez or Gronk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I like the idea in extending Mr. Wes Welker, I hope they don't take him to his last dying day here - like they did wilfork.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I will take a stab in the dark and say Sharper or a trade- Merriweather for a draft pick and another Safety! I know it seems out there-but BB is outragiously unpredictable, and we all love him for it-even thru the grimaces and smiles!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Cap space with Mankins on board for 6 yrs, WHO'S NEXT? : Don't we need 4 solid veteran WR's to offset the jets secondary? Are Tate and Price going to have big games in a playoff game against the jets? I am with you on this, Roth and Evans.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

thats exactly how i was thinking of it. also philly has 3 elite CBs. I wonder just how much cap room the Patriots have right now.

I see people suggesting extending welker. I don't think we will touch this year's pay if we extend welker. 

On Hernandez: could be our 4th WR.

On Price: bethel johnson once got good reviews in training camp. until we see him play in preseason at least, we can't count on much from him.

On Tate: he did alright last year. it was his rookie year basically. His problem is a common problem for rookies; inconsistency.

I also would like to see Cotchery get a look here. baltimore and pittsburgh turned him down, but I think this guy has more left than most think. Just a quick observation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

[QUOTE]I will take a stab in the dark and say Sharper or a trade- Merriweather for a draft pick and another Safety! I know it seems out there-but BB is outragiously unpredictable, and we all love him for it-even thru the grimaces and smiles!
    Posted by jimmytantric[/QUOTE]

Sharper had a very rough year last year. He could be finished.

One thing everyone is forgetting (somehow) is that Bill is all about value. He is not trading BMW for a 4th round pick. He would rather just have him play the year and help toward this major push for a Super Bowl Championship.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Cap space with Mankins on board for 6 yrs, WHO'S NEXT? : thats exactly how i was thinking of it. also philly has 3 elite CBs. I wonder just how much cap room the Patriots have right now. I see people suggesting extending welker. I don't think we will touch this year's pay if we extend welker.  On Hernandez: could be our 4th WR. On Price: bethel johnson once got good reviews in training camp. until we see him play in preseason at least, we can't count on much from him. On Tate: he did alright last year. it was his rookie year basically. His problem is a common problem for rookies; inconsistency. I also would like to see Cotchery get a look here. baltimore and pittsburgh turned him down, but I think this guy has more left than most think. Just a quick observation.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

evans caught 37 balls for 578 yards as a #2 last year. Are we really going to squeeze out a promising young player to make him our #4? He is a smaller guy too.

Cotchery makes more sense b/c he is a burly 6' guy and knows the Jets well and was a well-liked leader in that lockerroom (like Ellis). But he was just a 41/433 guy last year as a #3. He'd be a #4 or 5 here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

1.  Roth is a possibility. 

2.  Who is in his last contract year and needs re-signing now, before he walks?

3.  It's possible that all sorts of still-serviceable vets are out there, recently dumped on the same cap doomsday as Shaun Ellis, and BB wants one or two more of them.  Clear the cap room and tomorrow pick up a bargain player like a wedding dress at Filene's.  

Sections
Shortcuts