More Defensive Pass Coverage Penalties to be called in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

More Defensive Pass Coverage Penalties to be called in 2014

John Clayton in ESPN writes:

The themes in the NFL this year will be more offensive plays and defenses with a harder chance of stopping them. On defense, the trend is trying to adjust technique in pass coverage. Word came out of the officials' camp in Dallas on Friday that the league is going to put an emphasis on calling more penalties in pass coverage. Former vice president of officiating Mike Pereira tweeted Friday that officials are being asked to call more interference, holding and illegal contact penalties. Teams such as the Seattle Seahawks and Patriots, among others, will have to adjust. The Steelers were among the league leaders in defensive coverage penalties because they play tight coverage. The Patriots signed Brandon Browner and Darrelle Revis to do the same.

The idea is to create more offense. Scoring is already at an all-time high, but the NFL doesn't want scoring and offensive production to drop off. The Seahawks won the Super Bowl with their "Legion of Boom" defense. While it was fun to see defense back on the podium, the NFL doesn't want to see the sport go the way of baseball, which is dominated by pitching and low-scoring games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11239782/nfl-more-plays-more-defensive-penalties-trending-john-clayton-mailbag"

The league should rethink this - I think a balance between Offense and Defense is the way to go here. Real football fans (not fantasy fans) do not want to see any more scoring than what we have currently have now and probably less  Pass Interference is the most frustrating and unfair rule in Pro Sports. My opinion is - Big Mistake NFL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

Re: More Defensive Pass Coverage Penalties to be called in 2014

Guess they're making more excuses to call phantom PIs for Denver. What a joke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

When do the tutu's become part of the defense's uniform?

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

theme song for Monday night football will be "Can't Touch This"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

They really need to fix some of this, sooner than later they will just have it so only 3 men can play defense at any one time to cover 11 offensive players.

I think with all the new rules of how you can make a receiver fear going across the middle they should allow bump coverage past the 5 yard mark and have it extend to 10. Its the only way now that D player can play D, right now after 5 yards you can't jam them, then you better not hit them as soon as they catch it else it will be another 15 yards. You gotta count their feet , okay he caught it, okay he ran 3 steps , no I can hit him.. it makes a mockery of the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Thanks Gomer!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I thinks they have an ulterior motive for putting an "emphasis" on the rule.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/21/get-ready-for-the-legion-of-boom-rule/"; rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/21/get-ready-for-the-legion-of-boom-rule/"; rel="nofollow">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/21/get-ready-for-the-legion-of-boom-rule/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

In response to jjbag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They really need to fix some of this, sooner than later they will just have it so only 3 men can play defense at any one time to cover 11 offensive players.

I think with all the new rules of how you can make a receiver fear going across the middle they should allow bump coverage past the 5 yard mark and have it extend to 10. Its the only way now that D player can play D, right now after 5 yards you can't jam them, then you better not hit them as soon as they catch it else it will be another 15 yards. You gotta count their feet , okay he caught it, okay he ran 3 steps , no I can hit him.. it makes a mockery of the game.

[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting that the 2 best teams in the NFC - Seattle and San Francisco have the 2 most dominant defenses. And the Patriots and Broncos who both had defensive deficiencies spent the offseason loading up on defense. What part of this does Goodell not understand?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

This will hurt Seattle a lot.  They basically got away with playing like the days of old.  Reminded me of how the Pats would mug receivers prior to Polian pushing for a re-emphasis of the rules.  It was refreshing seeing defenses being able to play defense again though.  I guess we can call this Re-Emphasis II.  As Pats fans, we still have to blame Polian for this LOL.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Wait, soon as the Pats invest in their pass defense..?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

There is nothing more frustrating when this penalty is called on long down the field passes especially in the end zone. The offense gains 40 or 50 yards and the game is changed. I prefer a maximum penalty of 15 yards for any PI call.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Yeah, already been mentioned, but this is just another attempt by Goodell to get Gomer another ring.  This shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone.  Goodell is constantly trying to make it easier on Gomer.  Sad that a guy who sexuality assults female trainers gets this kind of treatment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Any fan across the nation had to know the plan is for Denver to win the Super Bowl so Gomer can finally say hey look at me, I've won 2 super Bowl rings! The last one was compliments of Two imaginary PI's against the Patriots in the AFC CG which was the only way he even won a ring!!! Nothing like stacking the deck against the Patriots in favor of Smellway and Gomer!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry but does anyone still believe that a league created problem like this that has progressively gotten worse and more stringent over the last decade really needs more enforcement?

Somebody needs to speak up for the cornerbacks, the hardest job in football is becoming increasingly impossible.

Hey NFL I don't pay to watch the refs!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wait, soon as the Pats invest in their pass defense..?

[/QUOTE]

I tried to warn. Anti-bb maneuvering via goodell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Welp! Thats 12 million down the Drain!!!   SmH

"One Entity" always remember, Thats why I watch casually now and no longer pay for Sunday Ticket. They control how the games go.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

How far will owner greed push this? It's already impacted the game enough with the running clock, shortened halftimes, and kiddie gloves for QBs.

Next will be adopting the pro bowl rule of no blitzing, because, let's be honest, nothing endangers a QBs health like a good blitz! GET RID OF IT!

Then, the league will mandate that DBs all wear these metallic bracelets. There will be a strong electro-magnet belt that can be turned off and on at the discretion of the officials. When the QB drops back, hands will be secured to the waist. Only whilst the ball is in the air, or a ball carrier is in the immediate vicinity shall DBs be allowed the use of their hands and arms.

I hate bill polian and blame him for getting the ball rolling down this stupid fking hill.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Well looking g at the bright side, revis uses more technique than physical play.

And maybe it will help Gronk and Dobson even more

i think it hurts Seattle the most, somehow I don't think they are going to be as good as last year

i see sf in the SB

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I wonder if Goodell realizes this just means every wide receiver is going to have to lose their mcls and acls?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Wouldn't it be funny if, in protest. all the db's on every team just stood on the field and didn't move, except to get back onside, for an entire game. I think that would be the greatest set of games ever. I think they might be able to rival the NBA by scoring 200 pts per game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I just sent this suggestion in to NFL.com

Please stop allowing defensive backs. With your re-emphasis on calling fake pass interference, non existent defensive holding and other non-existent calls against the defensive backs, the games will just get ridiculously long. Just change the rules so the defense can only field seven players. It will do what you want, make Peyton manning win another superbowl, without lengthening the games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrew1218. Show andrew1218's posts

The league should rethink this - I think a balance between Offense and Defense is the way to go here. Real football fans (not fantasy fans) do not want to see any more scoring than what we have currently have now and probably less  Pass Interference is the most frustrating and unfair rule in Pro Sports. My opinion is - Big Mistake NFL

[/QUOTE]

They were also discussing on Sports Radio that Offensive Pass Interferience will be called more in 2014 as they look to eliminate pushiung off by reveiver.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Well to start this off I'll start saying sorry , but to the people who think  this is another conspiracy against the Pats your wrong IMO .Has anyone thought it could be against the Seahawks? They did have one he'll of a defense and very physical. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

In response to soxrockursox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well to start this off I'll start saying sorry , but to the people who think  this is another conspiracy against the Pats your wrong IMO .Has anyone thought it could be against the Seahawks? They did have one he'll of a defense and very physical. 

[/QUOTE]

Actually Reiss had this link from the Seattle Times in his blog that show all of the tweets from Mike Pereira, former vice president of officiating for the National Football League.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/07/18/is-nfl-planning-to-get-tighter-on-defensive-holding-and-illegal-contact/

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

It could be a conspiracy against the Patriots and the Seahawks, as both now have extremely aggressive DB's. It better include the Broncos because they hired a guy whose main objective is to take out the knees of his WR/TE's counterparts. They also brought in Talib as well as The aforementioned TJ Ward. However this wasn't a concern last season while the Patriots were still playing a bend don't break Defense, but as soon as they upgrade to a press defense the NFL decides to increase the penalties for PI's, but not last year where 3 obvious PI's that should have been called were completely ignored cost the Patriots Home field advantage in the playoffs. I know it's probably just my paranoiac mind, but me thinks the new attention to tight coverage is know coincidence, also it's a way for the WWE/NFL to control who wins each week.