More from Revis; "Changes Will be Made"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

More from Revis; "Changes Will be Made"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/11/darrelle-revis-defends-his-effort-to-get-asomugha-money/

Found this insightful for several reasons:

- He said the Jets inititated the talks and then they threw out some egregiously low figure, which offended him.

- He mentioned "the Jets need to pay ALL their guys" and specifically listed teammates in need of a contract.

- Most interestingly, he mentioned "making changes" if he wasn't compensated fairly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: More from Revis; "Changes Will be Made"

I have mixed emotions on these issues.  On the one hand, I say play out your contract.  On the other hand, the team can get rid of you in a heartbeat if if you don't play well, yet have no obligation to pay you more if you outplay your contract.  So I probably lean a bit towards the players point of view nowadays.  

What I despise is when a player performs well for one year and wants more money.  If you prove you can outplay your contract for multiple years, you should get paid for it.  Wes Welker is the guy that cemented my view in favor of the player.  He's clearly outperformed his contract, played the nice guy, got injured, and now risks not seeing his payday if the his injury impacts his ability to be Wes Welker or if he gets re-injured.  Of course, you also have the players who get the payday, and then stink up the joint...

As for Revis, I'm not sure what he meant by "making changes" if he isn't compensated.  If that means he won't try as hard, then he's a dirtbag.  I can understand holding out if you've earned the right to be compensated, but to show up in order to collect a paycheck and not give it your best is just being a dirtbag.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Heh, Heh, Heh, Now it starts. For all of you predicting things like this were going to happen. How right you are!! The problem is they have a big mouth coach who says anything he wants to, so the players feel they can too. and didn't Rexy say   Revis is the best in the league!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Robin Hood Revis!..I'm liking this guy more by the day.I'm just glad it's not somebody from the Pats this time. If I was a Jets fan I'd be hating him right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

yes...the slapping time ...she comes...

slap them jests right back into reality...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: More from Revis; "Changes Will be Made":
    Heh, Heh, Heh, Now it starts. For all of you predicting things like this were going to happen. How right you are!! The problem is they have a big mouth coach who says anything he wants to, so the players feel they can too. and didn't Rexy say   Revis is the best in the league!! 
    Posted by NEGAME

Hey GAMER! LOVE the new pic!  I think by the second week of Training Camp the JESTS will be in full implode mode.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I have mixed emotions on these issues.  On the one hand, I say play out your contract.  On the other hand, the team can get rid of you in a heartbeat if if you don't play well, yet have no obligation to pay you more if you outplay your contract.  So I probably lean a bit towards the players point of view nowadays.   What I despise is when a player performs well for one year and wants more money.  If you prove you can outplay your contract for multiple years, you should get paid for it.  Wes Welker is the guy that cemented my view in favor of the player.  He's clearly outperformed his contract, played the nice guy, got injured, and now risks not seeing his payday if the his injury impacts his ability to be Wes Welker or if he gets re-injured.  Of course, you also have the players who get the payday, and then stink up the joint... As for Revis, I'm not sure what he meant by "making changes" if he isn't compensated.  If that means he won't try as hard, then he's a dirtbag.  I can understand holding out if you've earned the right to be compensated, but to show up in order to collect a paycheck and not give it your best is just being a dirtbag.    
    Posted by carawaydj

I tend to side with the players on these things. But Revis is trying to force the Jets into paying him twice what he's worth. Of course they are refusing- nobody is going to pay him that kind of money, so he's throwing a temper tantum.

Basically, the guy is delusional. It would be like Tom Brady going to Kraft and demanding 50 million per year. Furthermore, he's not as good as some people (including himself) think he is. He's a very good corner. But not a great one. It has been proven he can be thrown on. 

And even if he was the best corner in football, no team is going to spend 20 million at the corner position. If he wants that kind of money, he better learn to throw the ball. The Jets still need a decent QB. 

Then again, Peppers got 20 million- which was insane. And he only shows up for four or five games a year. Either way, Revis is out of his mind. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

In Response to Re: More from Revis; "Changes Will be Made" : Hey GAMER! LOVE the new pic!  I think by the second week of Training Camp the JESTS will be in full implode mode.
    Posted by bradleyBliss

Hey Blissman!!  Thanks, yes that was one wild nite!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

He's a very good corner. But not a great one. It has been proven he can be thrown on. 

no offense but who threw on him? he shut moss down pretty hard the games I saw, Ochocinco twice and more.  I hate the Jets but give credit where its due. I'd like the guy on the Pats minus the attitude. Sounds kinda like a Ty Law feed my children rant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

He's a very good corner. But not a great one. It has been proven he can be thrown on.   no offense but who threw on him? he shut moss down pretty hard the games I saw, Ochocinco twice and more.  I hate the Jets but give credit where its due. I'd like the guy on the Pats minus the attitude. Sounds kinda like a Ty Law feed my children rant.
    Posted by Philskiw

Yeh but Ty Law helped win Super Bowls--Revis isn't there yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

In Response to Re: More from Revis; "Changes Will be Made" : Umm? Chad Henne torched him deep with Tedd Ginn.   Tom Brady.  Peyton Manning.  Drew Brees.   I am sure there are others as well.  When Revis doesn't get help over the top for 50% of the snaps, then I'll buy this self induced/media hype about this guy. He had a breakout year and he thinks he's Deion Sanders or Mike Haynes. lol It's insulting to Ty Law for this guy to even be mentioned too.  If Revis played in Arizona, he wouldn't be this hyped. He's not even on Asamagua's level. Ty Law was mastering his positing as a second year player on a young D in 1996, going to a SB. Revis isn't even on Albert Lewis's, Aneas Williams's, etc, etc, level yet.   He's not even Charles Woodson's level yet.  Or Champ Bailey's. Do it for more than one year at that level WITHOUT constant Safety help, and then we'll talk. And this is not take away a great year he had either.  I thought Jay CUtler was the most overrated self-induced hyped young player ever.  Revis has taken over that mantel.
    Posted by russgriswold

And this is why you are the joke of the forum.  The entire country realizes that this guy is an elite corner and all you can do is whine that he had help because he is on the Jets.  There is not a corner in the league that does not have help at some points and there is not a corner in the league that has not been burned from time to time including Deion and Ty. If Revis had all this help how was their pass D so good?  Certainly their other corner was not working alone.  Revis is fantastic and any team would love to have him.  That being said, the Jets would be silly to pay him 17 mil a year.  All teams should not have to pay for Al Davis' stupidity.  That's like saying that we should pay Mankins what Faneca was making.  I suspect that he'll be gone next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

I am a joke because someone asked who beat Revis?   I think the bigger joke is people like you, as a Jets fans, posing here as a Pats fan. That's what is sad. I'd take Asamagua over Revis once on Tuesday and twice on Sunday, thanks very much.  I don't judge one very good year as "elite".  You have to do it more than once.  Even the "Revis Island" nickname junk is totally forced entitlement.
    Posted by russgriswold

This is what further explains my belief that you are new to football.  In his rookie year, Revis had the third most passes defended in the NFL, rookies generally don't have much of an impact at corner, period!  He was the guy BB wanted in 2007, not the clown we ended up with.  You and everyone else knows that if we had taken Revis, you would be saying he was the best ever.  I would take Asa also, but that means nothing.  An elite corner is just that.  I would take any of them, because we don't even have a great corner on our roster, never mind an elite one.  And just because a fan has the ability to look at things rationally, doesn't mean they are not a fan.  You should try geting a perspective outside of Jamaica Plains once in a while.  There are alot of good players around the NFL and a whole lot on the Jets and Dolphins. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

MVP, I've posted everytime he's been in the news but I wouldn't say that's out of fear for him or the Jets. I'll take Belichick/Brady over Ryan/Sanchez any day of the week, any place, any time of the year. I'm excited for football and since there's not much going on, I get hyped by just reading a lot of the mindless stories the media puts out. Guilty.

I think what really fuels my posts when it comes to the Jets is the fact that they've so openly declared themselves the team to beat, the team to fear, and the team that will stand victorious in Dallas. Considering they just slashed their PSL prices again today, considering they let valuable members of their team go already and replaced them with unwanted, aging veterans, and considering perhaps their most talented player is blasting the organization for not taking care of their own players and not holding true to their word, I guess that's what makes them such an easy target. If any teams should be talking, it should be the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers. Even then, they rarely talk off the field.

In all fairness, several Dolphins have been in the news for off-field issues. Their coach/owner/several players have publicly stated that they'll be champs this year. Still, it's nothing like the Jets because the Dolphins are a lot more classier than the Jets could ever be. I never post about the Dolphins because they're not as outlandish with their comments and their off-field moves. They're what you call respectable.

That's all that is. Like I said, even before kickoff we have Brady/Belichick on our sideline. There's nothing to be afraid of. We may not win everything but as a fan, I know what I can expect from them in terms of their preparation, work ethic, decision-making, and execution.

And I agree, Jets miss the playoffs. Best case: 9-7.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

Waldork/Bejesus, I just read on a Jets board recently that Revis is the greatest Jet to ever put on a uniform. This is the kind of rhetoric that makes me think Jets fans like yourself are the most deluded, not only in the NFL, but all of sports. Yes, I would like Revis, but I woildn't be so desperate to prop him up with dumb comments that reek of desperation to have attention on my team or a player before it is deserved. The difference is this: I would say: He had a typical learning rookie year, had an improved, solid second year and then had a breakout year on a #1 rated D last year.  Let's see if he can maintain that level of play before crowning him the end all be all. You would say this as a Jets fan: He is the best player in the league because he plays for the Jets and is into self promotion and our media and coach think he is too. I don't care if people look at facts and see has help over the top at times, he never gets beaten and he is my binky. I have no issue seeing Leigh Bodden come in here and rank #16 overall in the NFL on a team without a pass rush, knowing he is as every bit as talented as Darrelle Revis.  As great? Maybe not. Who knows?  I'd like to see Leigh Bodden on a better D so I can make that judgement. Leigh Bodden outperformed many "elite" CBs last year and he was on a team that didn't have a lot of sacks, pressures or a consistent pass rush. Do you see how dumb you sound? Football is a team game. Period.
    Posted by russgriswold

This will be my very last correspondance to you.  You are just so unbelievably dumb, it hurts to know you exist.  Hopefully, Darwin will soon put you out of your misery.  From here on out you will be ignored. 
    Defense is a team game? Really?  Thanks for the update.  Any team needs great players, moron.  Asante had a great year on a great D, we refused to pay him and what happened to our passing defense?  Why you are on a Jets board is beyond me.  Aren't you the guy saying how pathetic it is that these trolls are on a Pats board?  That makes you pathetic, genius.  Some random fan claims Revis is the best Jet, so he speaks for everyone?  Just how dumb are you?  Try reading through some of the moronic posts here.  You actually don't have to go any further than your own.  I certainly don't want your stupidity representing me. Odds are it was you who posted it anyhow.  So, refering to a great corner as a great corner is propping him up?  And you think that letting a player know that he is valuable to them is somehow a deterrent in contract negotiations.  Well, I guess we'd better shut Kraft up then, with all that TB praise.  So, you like Bodden as a part of the 20 something ranked pass defense?  Do you know who else had no pass rush?  The Jets.  How were they able to do so well with no pass rush and one corner?  You're right that does sound pretty stupid.  So Bodden is as 'talented' as Revis but not as 'great'?  You got me on that one.  Is that sort of like he plays better defense but doesn't defend as well?  That might very well be the most brilliant thing you have ever posted.   And who are these 'many elite CBs' Bodden outperformed? And just what have we done to improve our pass D?  Cut Springs?  Well that helps, but looks to be more of the same of teams just throwing against us until we can show that we can stop it.  Like the Jets, our D needs good corners,  Bodden would be fine as a 2 and McCourty needs a couple of years.  When you say a guy is a great zone CB, that usually means he can't play man.  We would have been far better off keeping Asante. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: More from Revis; "Changes Will be Made" : This is what further explains my belief that you are new to football.  In his rookie year, Revis had the third most passes defended in the NFL, rookies generally don't have much of an impact at corner, period!  He was the guy BB wanted in 2007, not the clown we ended up with.  You and everyone else knows that if we had taken Revis, you would be saying he was the best ever.  I would take Asa also, but that means nothing.  An elite corner is just that.  I would take any of them, because we don't even have a great corner on our roster, never mind an elite one.  And just because a fan has the ability to look at things rationally, doesn't mean they are not a fan.  You should try geting a perspective outside of Jamaica Plains once in a while.  There are alot of good players around the NFL and a whole lot on the Jets and Dolphins. 
    Posted by waldorff

waldorf... i dont get your love for all things jests... ive read your posts and ive read russ's posts and believe me russ is not knew to football and I agree with him that revis is over hyped...hes good but just like you claimed the jets defense was great (they are good..ok...great dont think so)...your doing the same thing with revis...brady threw at revis and moss scored on him...so all that shut down talk is just that ...talk...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

I can understand holding out if you've earned the right to be compensated, but to show up in order to collect a paycheck and not give it your best is just being a dirtbag.    
    Posted by carawaydj

This just in..... The Indianapolis Colts will now be forever known as the Indianapolis Dirt Bags. Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

In Response to Re: More from Revis; "Changes Will be Made" : waldorf... i dont get your love for all things jests... ive read your posts and ive read russ's posts and believe me russ is not knew to football and I agree with him that revis is over hyped...hes good but just like you claimed the jets defense was great (they are good..ok...great dont think so)...your doing the same thing with revis...brady threw at revis and moss scored on him...so all that shut down talk is just that ...talk...
    Posted by jcour382

It's more like I don't have this deep seed hatred of the Jets as many Patriot fans do. I also don't have a hatred of the Yankees. That doesn't mean I don't root for the Sox.  Many fans mistake rooting for your team as the need to hate their rivals.  It's just not necessary. Any true football fan appreciates players like Manning, they don't hate them because they are rivals.  I love to watch Manning play.  He is fantastic.  I can appreciate what the Jets have done.  How many teams are sucessful in their first years under a new coach?  I appreciate what many teams have done.  Just because the Ravens gave us a beatdown in the playoffs doesn't prevent me from realizing how good their D usually is and that without the personell, BB cannot outcoach everyone else.  I like brash coaches and players, people who are not afriad to say we are going to whoop you, now try to stop us.   None of that has ever stopped me from rooting for the Pats to win or from disagreeing with things they had done. Although I didn't think he was a terrible coach in NY, I could not stand Mangini on the Jets.  Of course, prior to him leaving NE, he was the next greatest thing according to most.  I think Rex Ryan is a talented coach who has a history of putting together good defenses and is not afraid to state his goal.  BB & Mangini's culture of secrecy got old about a month into their first seasons.  Any true football fan appreciates players like Manning, they don't hate them because they are rivals. 
    Regarding Revis' giving up TDs... you are getting into the realm of RG stupidity.  Every corner, no matter how good gets burned, especially by great QBs like Brady.  I guess that you don't think Woodson (the 2010 defensive MVP) is a shutdown corner either, right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

So we drafted a first round corner back and that to you doesnt count as upgrading the CBs? And what about Butler? He played well for a rookie and is looking at a lot of playing time next to Bodden. Philly can have Asante I would rather not OVER PAY for a CB.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I think the pass D will be better - next year.  Very few rookie CBs make a real difference.  While we sat well below the salary cap the last couple of years, our pass D has suffered.  If the best CBs are getting 15, clearly Asante is worth 10 and when it got to be too much, then you cut them loose like Baker, Springs, & AD.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

I read this crap once in a while to see what "Bostonians" are saying and I can vouch for the fact that russgriswold is an idiot. He talks like he is mentoring everyone on a public sports forum and knows BB personally. It is quite comical.  I am a displaced Pats fan that has to come here for news because I dont have it local.  Everytime I see this guy post I end up laughing at something.  Sometimes its just the way he talks.  Like he is in his mothers basement with nothing better to do. Been a Pats fan for 20 years, so mr russgriswold please dont claim I am a Jets fan as well. Oh yeah, and unfortunately Revis is one of the top 3 corners in the league right now, if not the top.  He handled every top receiver in every important game last year regardless of the coverage scheme.  He is a very, very good young corner, with a big mouth.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

Waldorff, no one is buying that you are a Pats fan.  It's annoying that Patriots fans can't have a place to talk/discuss/argue about their team without total weirdos like yourself coming out of woodwork with all your useless blah blah blah that is purely to rile up real fans...  Multiple accounts, pretending to be different people, all run by some terrible troll...  Oh well, it's an internet forum, thus no way around it...  Just wishful thinking I suppose...

Back on Revis...  He's good, not great (yet).  I agree 100% with Rusty's logic that he needs to have more then one year as a top ranked CB to be any more then good player having a great year...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

Waldorff, no one is buying that you are a Pats fan.  It's annoying that Patriots fans can't have a place to talk/discuss/argue about their team without total weirdos like yourself coming out of woodwork with all your useless blah blah blah that is purely to rile up real fans...  Multiple accounts, pretending to be different people, all run by some terrible troll...  Oh well, it's an internet forum, thus no way around it...  Just wishful thinking I suppose... Back on Revis...  He's good, not great (yet).  I agree 100% with Rusty's logic that he needs to have more then one year as a top ranked CB to be any more then good player having a great year...
    Posted by Payment84

you may find this hard to believe, but I could care less.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Thats why its 'boom or bust' this season for the Jests. And by boom, I mean Superbowl. They bring in question marks as they push their leadership out the door(Jones, Faneca & Washington). That was a major shock to the lockeroom as players voiced their frustrations publicly. Only time will tell how it plays outs but this cant be ideal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

To clarify for you Mr. Russ. 

Normally adults with a lower maturity level are said to be the guys living in their mothers basements.  This is because they never grow up and get out of the house. It's a saying.  You talk like someone that has no life, literally, and you think you have inside information on the pats or your the only one that understands football. For any grown man to dedicate as much time as you do to this talk forum is suspect in its own.  Most people that understand the game don't feel it necessary to "mentor" others on boston.com all day every day.  You apparently do and it is somewhat comical.  Maybe I am wrong though, maybe it is a normal thing for a grown man to do.  I am just used to checking it out for a good link or two here and there and your all over the place.  

Hope thats a sufficient explanation.  

Oh and your name is in blue because I used the copy paste function, using less time to type.  I guess that is kind of cute.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

Yes, that means I spend a lot of time in here and I am insecure about my opinions. If so, why was I quick to call you out?  Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, it is because I DONT SPEND MUCH TIME on this forum.  Any post I do check for facts however, you are on, every single one.  That is not really an indicator of someones frequency, although I can see how a simple minded boy would think so. 

So I am insecure, or perhaps I just have a real job, and real clients and don't find it valuable to post on every issue that comes up. Have you ever heard the phrase "time is money".  Not withstanding that my time is probably worth triple what yours is, but still Russy, grow up.  Your what the real world considers a loser.  There is more to life. You don't know sh!t about football or any other sport.  Your not the first diehard Boston fan to exist.  That's my opinion, not insecure by any means.  

Oh and I don't know what the word mentor means?  I think it seems more like you don't understand the concept of context.  Not a big surprise.