More on that former Patriot...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

More on that former Patriot...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23353296/report-aaron-hernandez-was-heavy-drug-user-and-paranoid

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: More on that former Patriot...

If true, the drug use explains a lot . . . including what may have been a relatively rapid deterioration from merely a troubled young man to a paranoid killer.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I missed yesterdays thread on this... Ignore this one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, contributing editor Paul Solotaroff delivers a detailed investigation into Aaron Hernandez's life, tracing his path from affable high school football star to deeply troubled NFL player to murder suspect. Solotaroff conducted interviews with family friends, high school teammates and NFL sources to help explain why the potential NFL great was ensnared by drugs, guns and a life of violence. Here are five revelations about Hernandez from "The Gangster in the Huddle":

• Hernandez was a heavy user of angel dust, and had become so paranoid over the last year that he carried a gun wherever he went.

• He surrounded himself with a cohort of gangsters, and cut himself off from his family and teammates. 

Hernandez had so infuriated his head coach, Bill Belichick, with missed practices and thug-life stunts, that he was one misstep from being cut.

• Both his parents, Dennis and Terri, had criminal records, as did much of his extended family.

• Terri allegedly cheated on Dennis before his death with a violent drug dealer named Jeffrey Cummings, then married Cummings after Dennis died and moved him into the house she shared with Aaron.

In college his coach (then-University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer) may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents — an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.

as I have stated repeatedly....

If a reporter for RS can find out this info, shouldnt an NFL team the resources they have be able to uncover the same info before handing over a $40m contract?

It would not surprise me at all if Meyer lied to the Pats/BB (I have said this numerous times over the past 6 weeks)

If BB presumably was 1 misstep away from cutting hm, why the early deal?

The info coming out is making "we were duped" look more and more odd. How can so many warning signs be unseen by the team? How can so many Hern transgressions be unknown to the team? How could so many team mates complain about Hern and the team doesnt investigate?

Go ahead Rusty, tell me Hern is no longer on the team, so it doesnt matter, that the PAts have moved on...and while we lament next years tight cap and dead money from the Hern contract, and dont sign needed free agents, tell us it doesnt matter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The claims in the article may or may not be true . . . and, if they are true, the timing of the alledged bad behaviour is also relevant.  It's quite possible, if Hernandez was taking angel dust, that his behaviour deteriorated rapidly because of the drug--and maybe the decline did not begin to be evident until after the extension was signed.  If he did miss practices, maybe it was just last year?

I do think that Matt Light's comments about Hernandez make more sense, though, if Hernandez was doing things like missing practice, which would have been obvious to his teammates even if they didn't socialize much with Hernandez. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This thread hasn't been corrupted by the Forum Jester yet so maybe we can have a reasonable discussion about it.

I don't see how the part of his mother cheating on his father is reportable.  It just seems unnecessary to the story.

And yeah, rkarp, "we were duped" seems a bit distant with this knowledge.  The more the story comes out, the more Kraft and Belichick seem to have looked the other way with their eyes only set on the win column.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I don't believe anything Rolling Stone reports.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

Why not?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

i didn't read the article. the questions i would ask is who are their sources and what is the timeline for what they are reporting?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

i didn't read the article. the questions i would ask is who are their sources and what is the timeline for what they are reporting?

Why would you want to know who their sources are?  Do you think that a major publication like this (despite it's recent problems) is going to drop such a huge bomb like PCP use...and not be sure it's true?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

Why would you want to know who their sources are?  Do you think that a major publication like this (despite it's recent problems) is going to drop such a huge bomb like PCP use...and not be sure it's true?

[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with them reporting what their sources told them, but that doesn't mean their sources are necessarily reliable.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Really, you don't think that source of the information matters? How about did they pay for the info? 

So when a football story is written and the source in the story is league a source or team a source or a sources close to the player you don't find that relevant to the context of the story?

I find certain sources have more credibility than other sources. many times information is leaked that doesn't tell the entire story.

For all I know he was a habitual user, perhaps he was a casual user, could have been he did it a few times and someone is trying to sell a story, Perhaps he was dealing the stuff?

I just think it is pertinent to know where the information is coming from, if that makes me a bad person or strange well then guilty as charged. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Anything to make sales and volumn increase! This does not match BB's coaching style at all. Remember he told a bunch of players to go home after they were a few minutes late during a snow storm. Welker was benched for a quarter because of his comments to the press about Rex Ryan. If AH was that much of troublesome person BB would have either sent him home or benched him. We never heard anything about that.

Why is it that this reporter is the only one to dig this up when back in June the Globe reported a completely different story: " And for three years in New England, Hernandez did everything Bill Belichick asked of him football-wise, according to a team source. He showed up to meetings and practices on time, practiced hard, stayed in shape, was very coachable, and starred on the field, scoring 18 touchdowns in three seasons. Just as importantly, he didn’t fail one NFL drug test in three seasons."

Even the Angle Dust doesn't make sense since they are tested for drugs on a regular basis. So who knows what the real truth is but I do think RS is reaching.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Matt Light's comments (quoted below) were a bit cryptic, but they suggest that something was up with Hernandez that other players, at least, were aware of. Of course, none of us know, but given subsequent events, I don't find it hard to believe that Hernandez was showing some signs of poor behaviour ahead of time.  Belichick has, at times, taken tough action against players, but that doesn't mean he always does.  I think Belichick probably takes each case as it comes and makes decisions on what to do based on the particular details of the specific situation.  So it's possible that Hernandez was disciplined in some less public way than Adalius Thomas was.  

Anyway, here are Light's odd comments that seem to suggest Light at least was aware something was wrong.  Light made these comments before Hernandez's arrest, by the way:

I never talk about other guys," Light said Tuesday, "but I will say I have never embraced -- never believed in -- anything Aaron Hernandez stood for."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

There are problems with this story: timeline, credibility of all the facts, how the information was obtained and credibilty of RS itself as a news source of integrity. In the end, it all depends on whose credibility you accept more, Kraft and BB or the reporter?

I have known BB and Robert Kraft to honest, upstanding people who value the integrity of the organization above all else. Their record has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread. BB has said that he had no problems with Hern and that Hern was a good citizen on the team. I don't know how much or how little Urban Meyer told BB about the violent situations AH had gotten into in Florida. I don't think we will ever know this as Meyer (and BB) does not want to open himself up to this kind of criticism and possible wildcat lawsuits due to negligence. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, contributing editor Paul Solotaroff delivers a detailed investigation into Aaron Hernandez's life, tracing his path from affable high school football star to deeply troubled NFL player to murder suspect. Solotaroff conducted interviews with family friends, high school teammates and NFL sources to help explain why the potential NFL great was ensnared by drugs, guns and a life of violence. Here are five revelations about Hernandez from "The Gangster in the Huddle":

• Hernandez was a heavy user of angel dust, and had become so paranoid over the last year that he carried a gun wherever he went.

• He surrounded himself with a cohort of gangsters, and cut himself off from his family and teammates. 

Hernandez had so infuriated his head coach, Bill Belichick, with missed practices and thug-life stunts, that he was one misstep from being cut.

• Both his parents, Dennis and Terri, had criminal records, as did much of his extended family.

• Terri allegedly cheated on Dennis before his death with a violent drug dealer named Jeffrey Cummings, then married Cummings after Dennis died and moved him into the house she shared with Aaron.

In college his coach (then-University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer) may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents — an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.

as I have stated repeatedly....

If a reporter for RS can find out this info, shouldnt an NFL team the resources they have be able to uncover the same info before handing over a $40m contract?

It would not surprise me at all if Meyer lied to the Pats/BB (I have said this numerous times over the past 6 weeks)

If BB presumably was 1 misstep away from cutting hm, why the early deal?

The info coming out is making "we were duped" look more and more odd. How can so many warning signs be unseen by the team? How can so many Hern transgressions be unknown to the team? How could so many team mates complain about Hern and the team doesnt investigate?

Go ahead Rusty, tell me Hern is no longer on the team, so it doesnt matter, that the PAts have moved on...and while we lament next years tight cap and dead money from the Hern contract, and dont sign needed free agents, tell us it doesnt matter.

You can now add RS to his "anti-BB, anti-Patriots" list of enemies. They have no credibility (except when they write something good about them) but the rest of the time it's the usual clapptrap about agendas/jeolusy/etc

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Matt Light's comments (quoted below) were a bit cryptic, but they suggest that something was up with Hernandez that other players, at least, were aware of. Of course, none of us know, but given subsequent events, I don't find it hard to believe that Hernandez was showing some signs of poor behaviour ahead of time.  Belichick has, at times, taken tough action against players, but that doesn't mean he always does.  I think Belichick probably takes each case as it comes and makes decisions on what to do based on the particular details of the specific situation.  So it's possible that Hernandez was disciplined in some less public way than Adalius Thomas was.  

Anyway, here are Light's odd comments that seem to suggest Light at least was aware something was wrong.  Light made these comments before Hernandez's arrest, by the way:

I never talk about other guys," Light said Tuesday, "but I will say I have never embraced -- never believed in -- anything Aaron Hernandez stood for."

Prolate

You are one of the most intelligent and football knowledgable posters on this board. However, I think the only way we can look at Matt Light's comments is "crypticly". We really don't know what he was referring to. I do think it is very possible that AH missed no meetings but became more distant from teamates and became a dusthead and thus paranoid. The thing about drug use (and I know something about this) is that it is progressive and is largely done in secret. Sociopaths can also put up a good front and deceive others quite well.

For me personally, the whole situation is sad; it is such a loss of human potential. We all have the capability for great cruelty and great love. I am sad AH chose the former. The only redeeming feature is for us to learn from it and continually chose health over self destruction.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

The more the story comes out, the more Kraft and Belichick seem to have looked the other way with their eyes only set on the win column.

Unless you know for sure that the "source" is credible, this is speculation at best. If AH was able to hide a huge part of his thug life from so many people, including murders from last year, why wouldn't he be able to slip drug use past Kraft & BB as well?

The timing of this piece by RS smells. They just put a shock & awe cover pice out last month....and now this? I need better proof than what RS says before I accuse Kraft & BB of looking the other way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Prior to signing the extension, there was a double murder in Boston that while unsolved, Hern was a suspect. This has been reported pretty extensively, and has been corraborated by the BPD. The Pats employ an ex BPD officer on their security staff for his connections to the BPD.

This is either a clear miss by the security department of the Pats, or they did not miss and the info was ignored...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Prior to signing the extension, there was a double murder in Boston that while unsolved, Hern was a suspect. This has been reported pretty extensively, and has been corraborated by the BPD. The Pats employ an ex BPD officer on their security staff for his connections to the BPD.

This is either a clear miss by the security department of the Pats, or they did not miss and the info was ignored...

If AH was a suspect in a murder last year, why wouldn't we have heard of this last year? That would have been headlines across the country....but it's only coming out now??

You mention that this "has been reported pretty extensively"..........can you please share one headline from last year saying he was a murder suspect? I sure don't remember any stories like that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

Paul Solotaroff, the person who wrote the article, is a legit sports and fitness writer.  Don't judge a magazine buy it's cover!  Hahahahaha.. get it??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

If AH was a suspect in a murder last year, why wouldn't we have heard of this last year? That would have been headlines across the country....but it's only coming out now??

You mention that this "has been reported pretty extensively"..........can you please share one headline from last year saying he was a murder suspect? I sure don't remember any stories like that.

I agree with tanbass. Also if the Patriots, meaning BB and RK, knew about him being a suspect for a double murder before they handed him a contract then shame on them. But do you really seriously think they would? No freaking way!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

rkarp, when was this info published or what is the dated documentation that you are speaking of regarding AH being a suspect in the double homicide? I would think that the Globe and Herald would have been all over that at the time he signed his extension if this was the case. The first both papers reported this was after his arrest. I may be wrong but i find it hard to believe that as soon as any public figure became a suspect in a double homicide that the newspapers sources within the Police departments wouldn't leak that to the media.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

[QUOTE]

The more the story comes out, the more Kraft and Belichick seem to have looked the other way with their eyes only set on the win column.

Unless you know for sure that the "source" is credible, this is speculation at best. If AH was able to hide a huge part of his thug life from so many people, including murders from last year, why wouldn't he be able to slip drug use past Kraft & BB as well?

The timing of this piece by RS smells. They just put a shock & awe cover pice out last month....and now this? I need better proof than what RS says before I accuse Kraft & BB of looking the other way.

[/QUOTE]

I don't speak in absolutes unless I know something to be true.  Read what I wrote again.  "...the more Kraft and Belichick seem to have looked the other way..."

It's a reaction.  It's an opinion.  It's a thought.  The more the story is investigated, the more ugly the truth.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

rkarp, when was this info published or what is the dated documentation that you are speaking of regarding AH being a suspect in the double homicide? I would think that the Globe and Herald would have been all over that at the time he signed his extension if this was the case. The first both papers reported this was after his arrest. I may be wrong but i find it hard to believe that as soon as any public figure became a suspect in a double homicide that the newspapers sources within the Police departments wouldn't leak that to the media.

I agree. and if he was a suspect did they bring him in for questioning? That type of thing is really hard to hide. I got the impression that they didn't put one and one together until this latest incident.

Sections
Shortcuts