More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans in playoffs this year.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans in playoffs this year.

they were a better team than us last year that lost their qb.
    they just drafted mecilus to add to that de.
    let's discuss a strategy to beat them on offense and defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans this year.

1. Do not assume they were a better team last year.  You can play hypotheticals all you want, but nobody knows what their record would have been even with Schaub.  They were 6-3 before the game he got injured.

2. Houston lost 2 starting OL to free agency.  They also lost Mario Williams.  I think a couple other contributors are gone too.  I heard the Texans being discussed on Sirius NFL recently.  They were basically saying that a team so close to being great just got knocked down a few pegs with their player losses.

So in other words, what the heck are you talking about?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans this year.

I can't say I know the Texans personell all that well, but at first glance I don't see much inside in terms of NTs or...darn nevermind Brian Cushing is quite strong at inside backer.  Ya they're tough, i'll need to get back to you on that one.  Secondary isn't much to write home about, but they can bring heat so that masks it to a degree.  Don't think they have the safety play to matchup with Gronk or Hernandez; and Lloyd should be able to make plays on the outside.  Good team though, they've built a solid core.  In the AFC gotta think its them and Baltimore as the real challenges for NE.  Steelers lurking as always.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans this year.:
    [QUOTE]1. Do not assume they were a better team last year.  You can play hypotheticals all you want, but nobody knows what their record would have been even with Schaub.  They were 6-3 before the game he got injured. 2. Houston lost 2 starting OL to free agency.  They also lost Mario Williams.  I think a couple other contributors are gone too.  I heard the Texans being discussed on Sirius NFL recently.  They were basically saying that a team so close to being great just got knocked down a few pegs with their player losses. So in other words, what the heck are you talking about?
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

im talking about my opinon. the only thing anyone here can talk about.
    its why we are here to share our thougths. or did you think it was to tear each other a new one to let off steam from our daily life?

houston will be better.

we need to improve dramatically to beat them and the other top competitors in the playoffs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans this year.:
    [QUOTE]I can't say I know the Texans personell all that well, but at first glance I don't see much inside in terms of NTs or...darn nevermind Brian Cushing is quite strong at inside backer.  Ya they're tough, i'll need to get back to you on that one.  Secondary isn't much to write home about, but they can bring heat so that masks it to a degree.  Don't think they have the safety play to matchup with Gronk or Hernandez; and Lloyd should be able to make plays on the outside.  Good team though, they've built a solid core.  In the AFC gotta think its them and Baltimore as the real challenges for NE.  Steelers lurking as always.
    Posted by andrewmcintosh[/QUOTE]

agreed they and baltimore should be at teh top. butits a long season and some other teams will rise up.

we lucked out not facing them inthe playoffs and with the drop in teh endzone against the ravens (but lost our super bowl that day when gronk got hurt)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

wow surprised so few takeers.
    perhaps folks were disstracted with so much else going on before the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans in playoffs this year.

Tough to put together a plan at this point but I'll offer a couple of thoughts:
    *Even though the Pats O will be more multi-dimensional, I see heavy doses of Gronk. 
    *Assuming Vereen and Ridley will see more of the field, some ground game with TB throwing to his backs more than this year.
    *Not sure how effective the Texans' pass rush will be without Williams but no reason TB can't spread it out a bit and see if he can find Lloyd downfield a few times.
    *Defensively, gotta believe we are looking at a steadily improving unit over the course of the season. 
    *Containing Arian Foster will be key and I think the Pats have the studs to do that.
    *A revived pass rush will certainly help.

Overall, a close game with both teams scoring in the low 20's and that could go either way.

Hardly much in the way of meat I'm afraid but it's early (both in time of day and in the year).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans in playoffs this year.

atj have you seen houstons draft starting with mercilus?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

bredbru, I did.  Mercilus I'm sure will be a good player but not sure he adds much more than what Houston already had in Smith and Watt at DE. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

Houston was definitely a team on the rise last season.  Offensively they are a very talented team in several positions.  Matt Schaub has been a solid QB for several years.  Arian Foster and Andre Johnson are superstars.  Their offensive line is solid with studs Chris Myers and Duane Brown.  The plan would obviously be to stop the run and contain Andre Johnson forcing the lesser receivers to beat you.  Easier said than done for sure.
    The reason for Houstons ascension last season was due to Wade Phillips defense.  JJ Watt in the few games I saw was a monster.  Besides him the line looks a little suspect.  They lost DeMeco Ryans and Mario Williams (who was hurt for most of the season while their defense excelled).  Inside at LB they have Cushing and I'm not really sure who'll be next to him.  Outside they'll be rotating Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin, and Whitney Mercilius.  At Cb they have Jonathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson with Brandon Harris in the slot.  I believe their safeties are Glover Quinn and Quinton Demps.  I would think aside from the normal passing offense creating mismatches with the TE's, you might see them try to attack the edges of this defense.  I have a hard time seeing Barwin, Reed, or Mercilius setting the edge, so this could be a vulnerability.  I think the Pats offense actually matches up well against attacking 3-4 defenses because of the mismatches offered by Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker as they can slide into areas that are vacated and make solid yards after the catch.  Also this year teams won't be able to cheat off of Lloyd like they did off Deion Branch.  This will put safeties into very tough positions with trying to cover the TE's and Welker inside while offering help on the outside on Lloyd.
    I (as a Pats fan) would give the edge to the Pats.  If last season the Texans had been healthy in the playoffs that matchup could have been a nightmare for the Pats.  This year with an improved offense and defense (a defense that saw some success in the playoffs) this should be a good matchup.  The Pats are generally stout against the run and would play Love and Spikes on early downs.  This season they will have a couple more players in the secondary that was decimated last season.  They will continue the trend of limiting the big plays and making teams pass in front of them and march the ball down the field.  Andre Johnson cannot be completely taken out of the game but he would see bracket coverage all day.  I still envision the Pats taking advantage of some weak spots in that defense and coming out with a close win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Houston doens't immeditaely scare me:

-They have a very unproven QB when the pressure mounts. Lets see how he/they even perform now that they are the definite AFC-S favorites.

-+Mercillus, -Williams is a net loss.

-I love Andre Johnson...but Walter as a #2?

-Very unknown, unproven line.

-Good front 7, very VERY suspect secondary.

-A rookie K they just drafted. Could be good, could cost them games.

There is nothing on this roster to make me ignore the numerous question marks on this team. Their biggest plus is having a good, deep running game...in a passing league.

I expect them to roll to 10-12 wins, easily win the AFC-S, and probably get bounced by a more playoff-ready team in Round 1, PIT or BAL probably would crush them in the playoffs, add NE to that group. I'd say HOU is probably on the level with SD, which is to say they are at least a step below the true contenders in the AFC.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Schaub has only been healthy for 2 out of his 5 seasons in Houston.  Andre Johnson has been dinged up the past 2 seasons.  They just lost the right side of their offensive line.  I won't worry about them until they are healthy going into the playoffs and their offensive line play is established.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

We need to start working on a plan right now for a scenerio that may not even exist in the post season?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans in playoffs this year.:
    [QUOTE] We need to start working on a plan right now for a scenerio that may not even exist in the post season?
    Posted by glenr[/QUOTE]

On a board where the posters have beaten to death over a period of days the relative value of second round pick in the draft this surprises you?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans this year. : im talking about my opinon. the only thing anyone here can talk about. its why we are here to share our thougths. or did you think it was to tear each other a new one to let off steam from our daily life? houston will be better. we need to improve dramatically to beat them and the other top competitors in the playoffs
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

So is you're high opinion on them based on their 10-6 record accomplished by playing such powers as the Jags, Titans and the Clots?
    Or their play-off record?  
    Guess what?  They get to play the Packers, Lions, Ravens, Bears, Broncos and the Pats and the east this year. 
    You really think they're going to be better?
    Would you think that if they didn't draft one of YOUR guys? 
    They will be lucky to win 9. JMO

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Houston is going backward

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In Response to Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans in playoffs this year.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans in playoffs this year. : On a board where the posters have beaten to death over a period of days the relative value of second round pick in the draft this surprises you?
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

No I'm not surprised. Amused would be a better word.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The PAts are in the cat's bird seat again

The schedule is not a beast
    13 of the games they should win
    3 of the games will be more than competitive
    (SF, Houston, Baltimore)
    Sf is slightly better
    Houston has lost a little
    Baltimore - Are Reed and Lewis done yet?

The Pats look to be clearly better

I don't see any NFC team that is better

This is the year we have to do it!
    Maybe time to get the Giants off our back

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to More Pressing Issues: Let's Discuss A Plan to beat Houston Texans in playoffs this year.:
    [QUOTE]they were a better team than us last year that lost their qb. they just drafted mecilus to add to that de. let's discuss a strategy to beat them on offense and defense.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

LOL, you are really worried about the Texans? They did nothing free agency and did not have that great  of a draft.

I say they don't even win their divsion

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I think bredbru picked the wrong team, I'll be a little bit more concerned with the ravens and steelers. If we make it to the SB giants and packers, the eagles could be a very scary team too if they play as they're capable of playing with all that talent on both sides of the ball. But to be honest, if our D plays anything close to the level they played during the playoffs and our play-calling improves a tad, then I'm not afraid of any team in either conference.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

[QUOTE] We need to start working on a plan right now for a scenerio that may not even exist in the post season?
    Posted by glenr[/QUOTE]
    It's a fan board....we have nothing to do with the team or their preparations...It's like when fans say "don't look ahead", why not, we aren't the patriots.  We're....fans.  Looking ahead is just for fun

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by paularnold[/QUOTE]

Houston was definitely a team on the rise last season.  Offensively they are a very talented team in several positions.  Matt Schaub has been a solid QB for several years.  Arian Foster and Andre Johnson are superstars.  Their offensive line is solid with studs Chris Myers and Duane Brown.  The plan would obviously be to stop the run and contain Andre Johnson forcing the lesser receivers to beat you.  Easier said than done for sure.

who do you put on johnson? it always kils me when bb has ne cbs play one side instead of lining best cb to cover best wr

The reason for Houstons ascension last season was due to Wade Phillips defense.

agreed

JJ Watt in the few games I saw was a monster.  Besides him the line looks a little suspect.  They lost DeMeco Ryans and Mario Williams (who was hurt for most of the season while their defense excelled).  Inside at LB they have Cushing and I'm not really sure who'll be next to him.  Outside they'll be rotating Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin, and Whitney Mercilius.  At Cb they have Jonathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson with Brandon Harris in the slot.  I believe their safeties are Glover Quinn and Quinton Demps.  I would think aside from the normal passing offense creating mismatches with the TE's, you might see them try to attack the edges of this defense.  I have a hard time seeing Barwin, Reed, or Mercilius setting the edge, so this could be a vulnerability.  I think the Pats offense actually matches up well against attacking 3-4 defenses because of the mismatches offered by Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker as they can slide into areas that are vacated and make solid yards after the catch.  Also this year teams won't be able to cheat off of Lloyd like they did off Deion Branch

key. but we dotn have a backup for lloyd if he doenst make it through the year. with all the outstanding wrs availabel we shoulda got a backup for him so there would be no dropoff.

.  This will put safeties into very tough positions with trying to cover the TE's and Welker inside while offering help on the outside on Lloyd.
    I (as a Pats fan) would give the edge to the Pats.  If last season the Texans had been healthy in the playoffs that matchup could have been a nightmare for the Pats.  This year with an improved offense and defense (a defense that saw some success in the playoffs) this should be a good matchup.  The Pats are generally stout against the run and would play Love and Spikes on early downs.  This season they will have a couple more players in the secondary that was decimated last season.

how the secondary plays will be key

They will continue the trend of limiting the big plays and making teams pass in front of them and march the ball down the field.  Andre Johnson cannot be completely taken out of the game but he would see bracket coverage all day.  I still envision the Pats taking advantage of some weak spots in that defense and coming out with a close win.

we will be lucky to.
    :)

we shoulda got a johnson wr type out of this draft instead of messing around in those mid and late rounds.
    probably our only chance to do so because of where we draft and the huge plethora that came out this year. we missed the "VALUE"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Houston doens't immeditaely scare me: -They have a very unproven QB when the pressure mounts. Lets see how he/they even perform now that they are the definite AFC-S favorites. -+Mercillus, -Williams is a net loss. -I love Andre Johnson...but Walter as a #2? -Very unknown, unproven line. -Good front 7, very VERY suspect secondary. -A rookie K they just drafted. Could be good, could cost them games. There is nothing on this roster to make me ignore the numerous question marks on this team. Their biggest plus is having a good, deep running game...in a passing league. I expect them to roll to 10-12 wins, easily win the AFC-S, and probably get bounced by a more playoff-ready team in Round 1, PIT or BAL probably would crush them in the playoffs, add NE to that group. I'd say HOU is probably on the level with SD, which is to say they are at least a step below the true contenders in the AFC.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

they were better than pitt and baltiore last year. i dotn expect them to fall off much. well see

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]The PAts are in the cat's bird seat again The schedule is not a beast 13 of the games they should win 3 of the games will be more than competitive (SF, Houston, Baltimore) Sf is slightly better Houston has lost a little Baltimore - Are Reed and Lewis done yet? The Pats look to be clearly better I don't see any NFC team that is better This is the year we have to do it! Maybe time to get the Giants off our back
    Posted by seawolfxs[/QUOTE]

"This is the year we have to do it!
    Maybe time to get the Giants off our back"

finally.

giants will have a tough road to hoe to get back to the sb

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Why. we won't be playing them?