More Proof That Goodell is Out of Control

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: More Proof That Goodell is Out of Control

Here's more articles on the NFL's ridiculous tyrant of a Commissioner: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/08/roger-goodell-defensive-players-must-stay-under-control-on-ta/, and http://bleacherreport.com/articles/531927-dear-roger-goodell-nfl-fines-penalties-are-getting-ridiculous, and http://bleacherreport.com/articles/150986-is-roger-goodell-ruining-football

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It's pretty clear that neither the players nor the officials have any idea what constitutes an "illegal" hit. The league (commissioner) is just combing through film and randomly picking out players and teams it chooses to punish for arbitrary reasons only Goody knows. It's unfortunate, but it's also a reality, as this commissioner has recently been given a lucrative extension -- which signals to me that the owners don't seem to care what he does with their game, so long as he gets them what they want in the new CBA.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

It's pretty bad when nobody can even figure out which hit it was! I think the league should be required to provide video evidence (with explanations) for these fines, and have them shown on a regular segment on NFLN. There would be more motivation for consistency at the least when fining these guys. If it were up to me they would have a committee (comprising of veteran refs) review all suspected plays and make a decision on if there was a violation or not. A lot of hits look much worse than they actually are when you slow them down and account for all aspects of the play. Many guys have acually moved into hits which were not blatant or flagrant. Goodell seems to think that by throwing out a lot of fines it will make the public think he's committed to his "player safety" theme. But the more we see the more it is evident that he's trying to "look good" more than he's trying to ensure safety. I can understand the concern from a PR standpoint to make the game seem "fair" and "civilized", but we fans also want to see real football. These arbitrary fines will only make defensive players afraid to make big hits, and thus take away from the integrity of the game. But to fine a player for a play that nobody can identify as "illegal" is beyond ridiculous. Goodell simply likes to toot his own horn. IMO he has way too much power over these things as an individual.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: More Proof That Goodell is Out of Control:
    [QUOTE]It's pretty bad when nobody can even figure out which hit it was! I think the league should be required to provide video evidence (with explanations) for these fines, and have them shown on a regular segment on NFLN. There would be more motivation for consistency at the least when fining these guys. If it were up to me they would have a committee (comprising of veteran refs) review all suspected plays and make a decision on if there was a violation or not. A lot of hits look much worse than they actually are when you slow them down and account for all aspects of the play. Many guys have acually moved into hits which were not blatant or flagrant. Goodell seems to think that by throwing out a lot of fines it will make the public think he's committed to his "player safety" theme. But the more we see the more it is evident that he's trying to "look good" more than he's trying to ensure safety. I can understand the concern from a PR standpoint to make the game seem "fair" and "civilized", but we fans also want to see real football. These arbitrary fines will only make defensive players afraid to make big hits, and thus take away from the integrity of the game. But to fine a player for a play that nobody can identify as "illegal" is beyond ridiculous. Goodell simply likes to toot his own horn. IMO he has way too much power over these things as an individual.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

As NFL Commissioner, Goodell looks the part...tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, well spoken, square jawed. But, the problem is that he's not a "football man", he's a politician.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]It's pretty clear that neither the players nor the officials have any idea what constitutes an "illegal" hit. The league (commissioner) is just combing through film and randomlypicking out players and teams it chooses to punish for arbitrary reasons only Goody knows. It's unfortunate, but it's also a reality, as this commissioner has recently been given a lucrative extension -- which signals to me that the owners don't seem to care what he does with their game, so long as he gets them what they want in the new CBA.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

At this point I think their to lazy to actually go through the film and have reverted to keying off the Announcers Helmet-to-Helmet calls. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

To bad there isn't a forum to talk directly to this piece of Jets cast off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

He was fined because the announcers said he made an illegal hit. The networks now run the NFL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]He was fined because the announcers said he made an illegal hit. The networks now run the NFL
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

While I'm not willing to go so far as to believe that some hairball like Kevin Harlan (who?) can influence league policy with his misinformed blather, it certainly is true that the networks do -- in fact -- run the NFL. They always have . . .  or at least they have since the advent of satellite technology. The bulk of the league's revenue comes from its television contract, and when you see the "competition committee" advocating for the offense, you can well believe that those directives are heartily endorsed by network executives whose bread is buttered by the Peyton Mannings and the Brett Favres (and yes, the Tom Bradys) of the league.

Today -- and presumably henceforth -- an illegal hit is whatever the commissioner determies it is, either during the game or well after the fact, and unless and until actual NFL fans make it known that they are not tuning in because the field has been tilted too far in the direction of the offense, this is likely to continue . . .

. . .  and get worse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Last Sunday there were about 10 hits in the NFL akin to Mayo's.  I watch a lot of football, and that's a conservative estimate.  Some of those are literally textbook hits, the kind that middle and high school kids are told to watch as examples of how to hit correctly. 

So, where are the fines for the others?  P-mike is right; Goodell is building up a database of hits to review.  They'll flesh out the written details soon enough, but in the meantime, if Goodell's going to issue a fine for Mayo's hit, why isn't he doing it across the board?  If these fines were issued uniformly it would be a lot easier to stomach.  But a lot of the fines being issued are for hits that weren't even penalized.  The officials know this game a lot better than Roger; his decisions not only punish the players, they show-up his officiating core.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

The above comments are all spot on. This approach may wrongly decide some games in the playoffs. GOODIE needs to be taken behind the woodshed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Proof That Goodell is Out of Control : While I'm not willing to go so far as to believe that some hairball like Kevin Harlan (who?) can influence league policy with his misinformed blather, it certainly is true that the networks do -- in fact -- run the NFL. They always have . . .  or at least they have since the advent of satellite technology. The bulk of the league's revenue comes from its television contract, and when you see the "competition committee" advocating for the offense, you can well believe that those directives are heartily endorsed by network executives whose bread is buttered by the Peyton Mannings and the Brett Favres (and yes, the Tom Bradys) of the league. Today -- and presumably henceforth -- an illegal hit is whatever the commissioner determies it is, either during the game or well after the fact, and unless and until actual NFL fans make it known that they are not tuning in because the field has been tilted too far in the direction of the offense, this is likely to continue . . .  . . .  and get worse.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

This all goes hand in hand with Goodell being a politician, rather than a "football man". Goodell is the NFL's answer to the NBA's David Stern.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

The purpose of these fines is to create a bargaining chip for the owners. In the new CBA the owners want an 18 game schedule, a higher percentage of total revenue and for the players to chip in to pay for stadium construction. Among other things. As far as I can tell they aren't willing to give up anything in return. Except for maybe agreeing to rein in these outrageous fines. It's a pretty despicable way of negotiating but what do you expect from slime like Goodell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wanker33. Show Wanker33's posts

I wonder how many of the disgruntled fans are staunch anti-union - or even passive non-caring. It would be interesting to know. This is the sort of abuse of power that comes step in step with the weakening of unions and employee rights.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

loved how the commish has handled the whole Brat Fayray thing, basically run out the clock and give him a small fine...whata joke

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]The purpose of these fines is to create a bargaining chip for the owners. In the new CBA the owners want an 18 game schedule, a higher percentage of total revenue and for the players to chip in to pay for stadium construction. Among other things. As far as I can tell they aren't willing to give up anything in return. Except for maybe agreeing to rein in these outrageous fines. It's a pretty despicable way of negotiating but what do you expect from slime like Goodell.
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]

This seems likely, and what's interesting to me is that we've heard very little (or, at least, I've heard very little) about any kind of appeals process and what may be happening during those appeals -- if any have been heard -- particularly in the cases of players who were not flagged for their supposed infractions . . .   and again -- as in the case of Mayo -- for infractions that are not even individually identified (as far as I know).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Proof That Goodell is Out of Control : While I'm not willing to go so far as to believe that some hairball like Kevin Harlan (who?) can influence league policy with his misinformed blather, it certainly is true that the networks do -- in fact -- run the NFL. They always have . . .  or at least they have since the advent of satellite technology. The bulk of the league's revenue comes from its television contract, and when you see the "competition committee" advocating for the offense, you can well believe that those directives are heartily endorsed by network executives whose bread is buttered by the Peyton Mannings and the Brett Favres (and yes, the Tom Bradys) of the league. Today -- and presumably henceforth -- an illegal hit is whatever the commissioner determies it is, either during the game or well after the fact, and unless and until actual NFL fans make it known that they are not tuning in because the field has been tilted too far in the direction of the offense, this is likely to continue . . .  . . .  and get worse.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

It's a downward spiral. The players and owners want more money so the squeeze is put on the networks. The networks want the game to appeal to a wider audience so they can charge more money to the advertisers so they want the game changed so it can be marketed to an audience that doesn't really know much about the game. They want exciting offensive free for alls to pump up the stats for their fantasy teams. They don't want to cringe at hard hits. The want entertaining smack talk filled press conferences. They want controversy and dirt. They want sportstertainment not sports.

Meanwhile back on the field...the same players who have trouble feeding their families on a minimum $300,000 a year are angry because the game is being changed in ways they don't like.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More Proof That Goodell is Out of Control :      As NFL Commissioner, Goodell looks the part...tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, well spoken, square jawed. But, the problem is that he's not a "football man", he's a politician.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

He's a used car salesman ( basically thats what politicians are anyway ). His job is to sell the NFL to non football fans and a new CBA to the players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

"He was fined because the announcers said he made an illegal hit. The networks now run the NFL"

Absolutely right. I said this would happen at the time. It's amazing how consistently the league fines hits called out by announcers and ignores worse ones not mentioned.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

[QUOTE]He was fined because the announcers said he made an illegal hit. The networks now run the NFL
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]
    You don't know how right you are. ESPN proclaimed "spygate" the worst event in sports history. Those who disagreed were discarded. Just ask Sean Salisbury. ESPN glossed over the attempted maiming of an opposing player by a coach as if it was an everyday occurance. Goodell has no reason to punish the Jets any further. The media had given up already.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/01/league-hopes-to-change-rules-to-make-samuels-hit-on-rice-illegal/

its going to get worse

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]loved how the commish has handled the whole Brat Fayray thing, basically run out the clock and give him a small fine...whata joke
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a travesty.  I hope Jenn Sterger sues the NFL and wins big. She has been put through microscope-hell even though she is the victim. She wasn't asking for any money, just the commish to do the right thing and send the right message and he let her down.  He  basically flipped her the bird and dared her to sue. What a sleazy dope!

Also distrubing is the postponement of the Eagles-Vikings game.  That was all Goodell, supposedly to test-run a Tuesday night game for ratings.  The city was ready for the game and their was only 5" on the ground. (1) It gave an unfair advantage to the home team.  (2) I love the NFL, but right now it is the only sport I watch because it is managable time-wise.  I don't need or want to watch games six or seven nights a week.  I already watch five games a week and feel guilty about neglecting my gal or making her watch games just to spend time with me.

In addition, I don't want 18-game seasons and I don't want my Pats playing games against teams in Mexico or England or Brazil. It's not fair to the players and will run them down and further dilute the quality of play. And I am tired of him changing the rules to promote the offensive aspect of the game. Stop messing with a good thing!

This guy is universally hated by the fans and players alike. How can the owners not see that Goodell could be seriously damaging their product and brand?  It happened to the NBA.  It happened to MLB.  And it happened to the NHL. With our evolving demographics, the NFL is already at risk of being overtaken by soccer within 20 years.  The NFL doesn't need to be speeding that up with poor league leadership.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/01/league-hopes-to-change-rules-to-make-samuels-hit-on-rice-illegal/ its going to get worse
    Posted by itllnevahapn[/QUOTE]

The explanation in that link is laughable.

Whatever happened to simple common sense?

I would love for someone from the league office to explain how Jerod Mayo deserves a fine (if the league can actually make up its mind which hit they are fining Mayo for) but Samuels -- who literally tried to head-butt the receiver into oblivion -- is protected because the ball of his foot didn't leave the ground.

The NFL is redifining "ridiculous."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Goodell has opened "Pandora's Box" with these arbitrary illegal hit calls...as it gives referees even greater power to inject themselves into the outcome of games.

Years ago, gangsters who wanted to "fix" a game would try to get to a key player or two. But, with the huge money players are making today, getting to a player is more difficult. But now, thanks to Goodell, all the gamblers need to do is to sway a relatively low paid, part time referee to throw a flag, at an opportune time.