Mortality / Bowlen / Alzheimers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Mortality / Bowlen / Alzheimers

It has been over 12 hours since the news of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen's resignation as team president due to Alzheimers Disease has hit the internet. Surprisingly, there has been little activity about it on this site.

I have to admit I am scared. Here is a guy that has been active all his life, been involved, competitive to the nth degree and even he is not strong enough to ward off the onset of Alzheimers Disease! That freaks me out! It had always been my hope that constant activity whether it be physical, intellectual, cultural or interpersonal could ward off the effects of disease like this. Alas, it is not true. We are all vulnerable. Sad to say it though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Mortality / Bowlen / Alzheimers

Alzheimers is no joke.  Pretty sad deal.  As much as I hate the Donkeys and everything associated with them, this is a sad deal for Bowlen.  No one deserves this.  I have an Aunt who sufferes from Early-Onset Alzheimers in her 50's.  Not Pretty.  Hope Bowlen can deal with it and make the most of it.  Oh yeah, and as always, screw Denver.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Alzheimer's is a tragic disease. It is hereditary so don't spend your whole life worrying about what might happen years down the road. Live for the day and enjoy it.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't let it worry me. Really, the amount of things out there that can cause so much pain only increases as you get older and if you stop to worry about every single one you'll be shut up in your room curled into a corner. What happens will happen and it's about living now and hopefully in the future not having to worry about it then.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sad news.. Yeah, times like this you have to just separate the sports rivalry part of it and focus on the human element of the situation.  Just terrible news for him and his family, friends, and organization. 

Things like this are a huge reality check.  Went through a huge reality check last year with the passing of my Father.  You can't worry about what might happen someday, you just have to live life to the fullest every day with no regrets.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It has been over 12 hours since the news of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen's resignation as team president due to Alzheimers Disease has hit the internet. Surprisingly, there has been little activity about it on this site.

I have to admit I am scared. Here is a guy that has been active all his life, been involved, competitive to the nth degree and even he is not strong enough to ward off the onset of Alzheimers Disease! That freaks me out! It had always been my hope that constant activity whether it be physical, intellectual, cultural or interpersonal could ward off the effects of disease like this. Alas, it is not true. We are all vulnerable. Sad to say it though.

[/QUOTE]

Alzheimers is a terrible disease and as fellow human beings we can all have compassion for anyone afflicted with it. I can understand your being scared.  But as one of the older people here I must say that I have become extremely aware of my mortality and that too is frightening.  However, there is no way for me to stop the clock. Actually I don't want my clock to stop because the day it stops ticking so do I.  So rather than worry about it, I would prefer to be grateful for every day that I'm not afflicted with a serious disease and enjoy the rest of my life one day at a time.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Alzheimers is a terrible disease and as fellow human beings we can all have compassion for anyone afflicted with it. I can understand your being scared.  But as one of the older people here I must say that I have become extremely aware of my mortality and that too is frightening.  However, there is no way for me to stop the clock. Actually I don't want my clock to stop because the day it stops ticking so do I.  So rather than worry about it, I would prefer to be grateful for every day that I'm not afflicted with a serious disease and enjoy the rest of my life one day at a time.  

[/QUOTE]

I have seen first hand the ravages of Alzheimer's and it is truly a horrible affliction.  My wife's aunt was a charming, witty, vibrant woman who was deeply loved by her family.  Alzheimer's took her from us long before her heart stopped beating. 

When you reach a certain age (and, yes, I'm in the 'certain' category) and recognize that you have more yesterdays than tomorrows life becomes that much more precious and sweet.  Plan for the future but live for today. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have seen first hand the ravages of Alzheimer's and it is truly a horrible affliction.  My wife's aunt was a charming, witty, vibrant woman who was deeply loved by her family.  Alzheimer's took her from us long before her heart stopped beating. 

When you reach a certain age (and, yes, I'm in the 'certain' category) and recognize that you have more yesterdays than tomorrows life becomes that much more precious and sweet.  Plan for the future but live for today. 

[/QUOTE]

Well said, ATJ....As always

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think I am more frightened than you. My mother has extensive stage Alzheimers now, and it is the hardest thing ever to deal with. You are put in this crazy, unnatural psychological state of almost wishing your beloved parent would pass, rather than live in such a torturous agony. Then you have to keep slapping yourself, and be thankful you have her for one more day.

Both of her sisters died from it, too, and my mother swore she never wanted to endure the long, agonizing condition. Alas, she is there right now.

[object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

I think I am more frightened than you. My mother has extensive stage Alzheimers now, and it is the hardest thing ever to deal with. You are put in this crazy, unnatural psychological state of almost wishing your beloved parent would pass, rather than live in such a torturous agony. Then you have to keep slapping yourself, and be thankful you have her for one more day.

Both of her sisters died from it, too, and my mother swore she never wanted to endure the long, agonizing condition. Alas, she is there right now.

[object HTMLDivElement]

OMG, NY-Pats-Fans4 this must be a horrific experience to go through and I wish you and your family the best.   I also believe it's normal to wish a loved one to pass rather than suffer and understand your conflict because I went through the same feelings with my father.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

A year ago March my father passed at 94, two days after his  birthday. My mother who was in anursing home wit a fairly advanced case of dementia , realized on some level, that he was not coming in every day, and passed i3 days later at age of 91, which I think in some form was a blessing .  At 72 , my memory isn't great an d the possible prospect of this disease is indeed scary.  So try to enjoy every day is good advice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A year ago March my father passed at 94, two days after his  birthday. My mother who was in anursing home wit a fairly advanced case of dementia , realized on some level, that he was not coming in every day, and passed i3 days later at age of 91, which I think in some form was a blessing .  At 72 , my memory isn't great an d the possible prospect of this disease is indeed scary.  So try to enjoy every day is good advice.

[/QUOTE]

With you, brother.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]

With you, brother.

[/QUOTE]

Good to see oldies in here like me.   :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Appreciate it guys.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

billge
    First: 7/13/2013
    Last: 7/23/2014

I appreciate your openness and courage!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Indeed....my ex father in law has it and every time he sees my son he thinks it's me and asks him "How are the kids?"....he's almost 90 but is healthy as a horse otherwise...it's a sad disease and it rips my ex up every time she goes to visit him....

Youth is wasted on the young.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, man.  I never would have had you pegged at 72. That is actually my father's age and he has his days of "senior moments".

As for Bowlen, I never liked the guy. He wore fur coats on the sidelines and was a sleazeball businessman who blatantly cheated, all entitled for the Broncos two SBs in 1997 and 1998, confirmed by Tagliabue and the NFL.

I still have no idea why he gets a pass for that.  It was the league's worst case of cheating by a mile.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As for Bowlen, I never liked the guy. He wore fur coats on the sidelines and was a sleazeball businessman who blatantly cheated, all entitled for the Broncos two SBs in 1997 and 1998, confirmed by Tagliabue and the NFL.

I still have no idea why he gets a pass for that.  It was the league's worst case of cheating by a mile.

[/QUOTE]

Rusty keeping it classy as always.  What a giant DB!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

seriously, the guy has alzheimers and this nit wit is throwing darts at him

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

seriously, the guy has alzheimers and this nit wit is throwing darts at him

[/QUOTE]

He's not above anyone else.  I think the point is clear.  And, he's a major db owner, too.  Wearing fur coats?  Cheating blatantly and then lying to the fans about where the money was going?  Are you kidding me?

This guy is a major league crook and jerk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Bowlen is a giant DB for cheating the league 3 years in a row and then lying to Tagliabue about it.

Elway is a fraud and a playoff loser and so is Bowlen.

1 year, maybe it's a mistake, but 3 years in a row is a pattern and outright cheating to the nth degree right in front of everyone's faces.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Bowlen is a giant DB for cheating the league 3 years in a row and then lying to Tagliabue about it.

[/QUOTE]

you forgot your Elways son rant

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

6 SB appearances, 2 SB wins...pretty impressive

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you forgot your Elways son rant

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was a rant. I think it was simply calling Elway a fraud. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

6 SB appearances, 2 SB wins...pretty impressive

[/QUOTE]

2 cheated SBs, which is a fact. Perennial loser, 3 SB losses, all bludgeonings and then they cheated by deferring payments.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about here?