Moss hurt Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Moss hurt Brady

In Response to Re: Moss hurt Brady:
    so he's never going to throw deep ever again? you have to take a shot or two deep to keep the safety honest and to try open up the field both for running and passing underneath.
    Posted by harleyroadking

Agreed. We'll still have to take shots down the field...otherwise, opponents will have fun stacking the box for the short passes and runs. That would not bode well for the patriots.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Here is a quote I found that was VERY interesting and another reason why we were better off trading Moss. "Additionally, Brady has thrown a meager 23 picks since 2007. But 14 of those INTs came when targeting Moss. In 2007, four of his eight picks (50 percent) came throwing to Moss; in 2009, 8 of 13 picks (61.5 percent) came throwing to Moss; in the first four games of 2010, both of his picks came when throwing to Moss. " Anyone see a trend?
    Posted by GadisRKO

As for those picks which occur on passes to Moss...  seems I notice, more than anything, Moss would not exactly give 100% to try and catch a ball if it is not on the money or if he is not completely clear of a defender.  Has anyone noticed how Moss sort of wiffs at the catch attempt if a defender is in position on which Moss doesn't at least bat the ball down?  Also, he doesn't really battle for the ball with the defender like you see some receivers do.  My two cents. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Moss was dropping some catchable balls this year.  He still makes some spectacular catches, but he also misses some pretty easy ones. Moss has been fading since last season, I think, and teams have started to cover him one-on-one.  Moss just doesn't scare defenses like he used to--and that makes him much less valuable than he was because he no longer draws coverage away from other receivers.  This is not a knock on Moss or his character--the fact is, he's getting old and he's just not as explosive as he used to be.  He also seems to lose concentration sometimes--a problem he's had in the past--but now those lapses aren't balanced with as many spectacular plays, so Moss is rapidly becoming "just another guy."  Pats made the right move to let him and a fourth round pick go in return for Branch and a third round pick.

As an aside, does anyone else see something pathetic in that Favre-Moss duo on the Vikings?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

In Response to Moss hurt Brady : m1024..... what a ridiculous post. you should have never left the womb. 
    Posted by TSWFAN

lol great post M1024 is one of the stupidest fans out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

I promise you I never saw word one of this mentality on this board in 07 when the pats were undefeated until their SB loss. 

Never saw it in 08 when Moss helped make Cassel what he became. 

In fact, I don't even recall seeing this in 09 when Moss was sent home for being late. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Moss hurt Brady : No, he isn't going to be tempted to throw deep as much as he was when Moss was in there.....
    Posted by m1024us

Brady was already going back to his earlier style of spreading the ball around as much as possible. It was one of the things that was upsetting Moss.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Moss hurt Brady : Yes, and no.  The deep threat is a low percentage-type pass. It can be a game changing play that can go for you when completed, but can be disastrous if intercepted. The benefit of having Moss on the field - even when you don't pass to him - is that because he is oftentimes double and triple covered - it means that some other person will likely have one-on-one coverage or be open. The bad  part of having Moss on the field is that Brady sometimes got too greedy and didn't hit the open man. Was that Moss' fault or Brady's fault?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

Excellent point bubba. I loved Randy Moss when he was here, but the fact is that we never won a world championship with Randy. Brady is the QB of the pats until he hangs up his spikes, and I think the best thing for the Pats on offense is what's best for Brady. TB is the unquestioned master of the short passing offense. So does removing Randy from the equation force Brady back to what he's best at?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

In Response to Moss hurt Brady : what if Drew Bledsoe never got injured?   what they hell? quit psycho analyzing everything. those were the cards the patriots played with and they lost that hand when TB got hurt
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Where did I say "what if"?

you might want to take reading lessons....

Moss had a direct impact on Brady's knee getting blown out, weather you like it  or not.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

In Response to Re: Moss hurt Brady : Brady was already going back to his earlier style of spreading the ball around as much as possible. It was one of the things that was upsetting Moss.
    Posted by Evil2010

Except for the first couple of games when Brady was forcing a few to Randy...you know, to try to make him happy....

Moss was leading the NFL in dropped passes this year before he got traded...... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

In Response to Moss hurt Brady : Yes, and no.  The deep threat is a low percentage-type pass. It can be a game changing play that can go for you when completed, but can be disastrous if intercepted. The benefit of having Moss on the field - even when you don't pass to him - is that because he is oftentimes double and triple covered - it means that some other person will likely have one-on-one coverage or be open. The bad  part of having Moss on the field is that Brady sometimes got too greedy and didn't hit the open man. Was that Moss' fault or Brady's fault?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

1) the safety does not just come over and cover moss unless he goes deep....when moss takes a play off, the safety is free to roam.

2) anyone that stretches the field will get a double coverage unless there is a blown coverage or a zone play called.....case in point, Tate yesterday....he went deep and had 2 players on him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

M- I hoping to click on this link and see a post that said, "I told you so". You've let me down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diesel12. Show Diesel12's posts

The real issue is Brady was no longer as good at hitting Moss deep after he injured his knee and you can't blame that injury on Moss not being in there. It was more of Faulk serving a 1 game suspension and Sammy Morris missing his block. Faulk is an excellent blocker and that was where it really showed. Moss is a great receiver but not when his head is not in the game. Let's be serious, Moss caught what should have been the winning TD in Super Bowl 42. He can't be faulted for that loss. I still think Moss being jettisonned will help in the long run. Brady and Branch have an undeniable chemistry, more than he had with Moss. It's obvious to everyone watching.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

I think it is just that the Pats didn't really use Moss on some of the shorter routes after 2008. If you watch the Vikings game, there were alot of short passes thrown to him, and he was targeted 6 times and caught 5 passes for 55 yards. The one he didn't catch was a dropped TD and it was on him, but other than that, he was as sure handed as can be. The Vikings move him around, throw him the short one when the CB played him deep, it is there all day. But for some reason the Pats never did take advantage of that, which allowed the opposing CBs to cheat by playing 10 yards deep on every play. It opens up the others, but making Moss one dimensional and easy to defend. This is a guy who, when given the opportunity to catch short passes and be the center piece of the offense, caught 111 passes in a season. He can be that all purpose WR but NE never used him that way, they did back in 07 and 08 but not the last two years. Branch is awesome, but they simply didn't use Moss the way they are using Branch.
    Posted by pochen23

he is one dimentional....he has alligator arms going over the middle and is not good at all on screen plays.....he can't block and gives up way too much on plays....Branch /> Moss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

So by your rationale Brady hurt Welker. People have to get over Moss, he is gone and not coming back. Moss did not hurt Brady, an unfortunate hit hurt Brady. He could just have easily taken that hit trying to throw to anyone on that team deep or short route.
    Posted by boston2nj

Well, now that you think about it....If Brady didn't throw the ball to Welker, then he wouldn't have been trying to juke the opponent and slip on the shoddy field.....ending his season.

Sections
Shortcuts