Moss / Mankins connection

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Moss / Mankins connection

Do you think it's possible that Mankins was watching the game, bummed out because he hasn't a part of any of it, then saw Moss' postgame interview, with all the praise he lavished on the Pats and how much he missed "every helmet in the locker room" etc etc which got him to thinking hard on EXACTLY what he was throwing away. He finally realized he was in a unique position to be lucky enough to be ABLE to come back and play here and he should NOT throw away his opportunity?? He didn't have to come back for 3 more weeks.
    I'm thinking maybe the Moss "self interview" caused him to seriously reflect on his situation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

Re: Moss / Mankins connection

I think when aliens planned to attack Earth, they ended up watching "War of the Worlds", "Independence Day", "Signs", and "Earth Girls Are Easy" and finally realized just how lucky they were NOT to attack us, because we would win eventually.  Instead they are probably planning a more civil meeting one day and not throw away a chance to be on a class planet Like Earth!  I'm thinking Will Smith seriously scared them straight when he knocked out that alien!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Thanks for contributing. I don't actually get your point, but I had a thought and was wondering if anyone else felt that way. Sorry if this offended you somehow. Maybe you could have just left it alone instead of whatever it was you tried to convey. Was it supposed to be funny??? Is this your way of calling me an idiot?
    When I reply to posts I try to add something to the topic. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Either way I try and make a point and explain why I feel that way. The board would be more enjoyable with less comments like yours

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

My point is that you are reaching for a theory thats just a little too far fetched. You are climbing into the minds of people you do not know, and assuming your loyalty to laundry is what the players feel.

You actually think Mankins had a Disney moment on Sunday? a "Remember the Titans" moment??!!   C'mon, man!  If the lockout wasn't ensured in 2011, Mankins would never have seen the practice field for the Patriots ever again. Its a business move, through and through. 

My alien comment is a "real" theory just like yours.  It could've happened.....
    But it probably didn't when you think about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

You do realize Mankins signed his tender within HOURS of Moss giving his postgame interview Right? Was it absolutely ridiculous and absurd of me to think the things Moss said might have got Mankins to thinking real hard about his situation and what he was passing up over money ??? Moss knew he threw away something special and he let the world know it in no uncertain terms Sunday night. I thought maybe Moss' words hit home with Mankins and was curious what others thought.
    I don't know where your aliens fit into it. Is it just you insulting me in a way you think is oh so very clever???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreLurker. Show SShoreLurker's posts

Nothing clever at all, just pointing out the ridiculous with the ridiculous.  Call it intelligent sarcasm. 

I don't expect you to understand. You project your love for the New England Patriots onto the players themselves. Your fandom is so blinding, you will make irrational comments with the utmost sincerity. What becomes lost is the truth.

TRUTH: Players aren't loyal to the laundry.  They are loyal to the money, peer admiration, and organizational respect. 

This amazing psychological connection based on a timeline and your fandom, creates a true disassociation from the reality of what actually exists.  You have nothing to refute your ascertion and all the fandom surrounding you wanting the same thing as you: a Patriots Utopia.

In conclusion, my comments about aliens was my way of showing you how ridiculous an arguement can sound based on some dot-connections of events.  Aliens could have seen those movies while in space (assuming you believe that they exist and they have superior technology) and thought twice about attacking such a class planet like Earth.  We have had a dynasty in the Solar System for a while. We're small and plucky like Woodhead but no one spins around the sun with more consistency than Earth!! 

If you haven't seen it by now, you never will. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

Sorry Hang but I am with southshorelurker on this one. Your very naive or living in fantasy land if you really think Mankins came back because of Moss press conference. Mankins and his agent are all about the almighty dollar. They didn't just suddenly have an epiphany "oh New Englands a great place to play, I'll go back for 1M istead of 50m elsewhere!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Moss / Mankins connection:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for contributing. I don't actually get your point, but I had a thought and was wondering if anyone else felt that way. Sorry if this offended you somehow. Maybe you could have just left it alone instead of whatever it was you tried to convey. Was it supposed to be funny??? Is this your way of calling me an idiot? When I reply to posts I try to add something to the topic. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Either way I try and make a point and explain why I feel that way. The board would be more enjoyable with less comments like yours
    Posted by hang3xc[/QUOTE]

=D 

It was...

=D

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

If anything, Mankins is coming back because every game he sits out he becomes more and more irrelevent (He thinks as Left Guard that entitles him to think he is Brady or Manning withholding his services. What a joke!). He and agent thought that the Pats needed him so badly that they would either overpay for his services or regret (on the field with poor O-line play) not giving him a contract and forcing him to sit out. Neither situation played out.  The Pats are winning and playing OK on the O-line and Mankins has cost himself alot of money and exposure. This is reason he is coming back early.  Belichick will play Mankins if he feels Mankins gives the Pats the best chance at success. I hope that the current O-line continues to play well enough to keep Mankins on the side-lines for the rest of the year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan36. Show soxfan36's posts

[QUOTE]If anything, Mankins is coming back because every game he sits out he becomes more and more irrelevent (He thinks as Left Guard that entitles him to think he is Brady or Manning withholding his services. What a joke!). He and agent thought that the Pats needed him so badly that they would either overpay for his services or regret (on the field with poor O-line play) not giving him a contract and forcing him to sit out. Neither situation played out.  The Pats are winning and playing OK on the O-line and Mankins has cost himself alot of money and exposure. This is reason he is coming back early.  Belichick will play Mankins if he feels Mankins gives the Pats the best chance at success. I hope that the current O-line continues to play well enough to keep Mankins on the side-lines for the rest of the year.
    Posted by Plluto29[/QUOTE]

Actually, the reason (and the only reason) he is coming back is because if he doesn't he won't be an unrestricted free agent next season (or whenever they play football after this season). How the Pats are playing are irrelevant to Mankins and his agent. Mankins is a very good player in the prime of his career so i'm sure there are a bunch of teams that will be willing to fork over alot of $$$ for his services.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Was it absolutely ridiculous and absurd of me to think the things Moss said might have got Mankins to thinking real hard about his situation and what he was passing up over money ???"

Yes, sorry. 

The important non-coincidence you missed is that Vincent Jackson is also now reporting to San Diego. Jackson and Mankins are taking their marching orders from the Players Union, not from Randy Moss. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

"Ridiculous and and absurd to think?"

Nah,  not it in the least when you consider Edgar Rent a Wreck just won the MVP of the World Series going 7-17 and a few key home runs....

Now who thought that?

:-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from howzer. Show howzer's posts

I think you guys are being a little hard on hang.  His point is that Mankins is coming back a couple of weeks earlier than he has to, and hang is wondering the motivation for returning earlier than necessary. 

I agree that it is probably not the result of any newfound appreciation for the Patriots.  Maybe he thinks he will actually get more playing time by returning early, which might help his value on the market.  Or perhaps the good job done by the O-Line all season, and notably against a tough Vikings D-Line this weekend got him thinking that with each passing week, the league may see how irrelevant he actually is, so he'd best hurry back and try to appear to be a part of the success.  Who knows.  I personally hope he is only used to give starters a quick breather or, God forbid, as an injury fill-in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

soxfan36 gets it right.  Mankins' signing his tender now has everything to do with the timing requirements in the collective bargaining agreement, nothing to do with Moss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bfletch56. Show bfletch56's posts

In Response to Moss / Mankins connection:
    [QUOTE]Do you think it's possible that Mankins was watching the game, bummed out because he hasn't a part of any of it, then saw Moss' postgame interview, with all the praise he lavished on the Pats and how much he missed "every helmet in the locker room" etc etc which got him to thinking hard on EXACTLY what he was throwing away. He finally realized he was in a unique position to be lucky enough to be ABLE to come back and play here and he should NOT throw away his opportunity?? He didn't have to come back for 3 more weeks. I'm thinking maybe the Moss "self interview" caused him to seriously reflect on his situation.

He came back so he can get credit for another season towards his pension. It's as simple as that. He also will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mankins needs to get in game day shape which will most likely takes 2 weeks at best. My guess is actually more like 3-4 weeks. If he were to come back in week 11 when he absolutely needs to to get credit for the season he might not be game day ready until week 14 or 15. That deep into the season you don't replace anyone on your starting line unless an injury or poor performance happens. I think Mankins realized if he went to week 11 he'd be a backup player at best and might not see the field which would greatly effect his value, esp if there is a lock out and he hasn't played pro football in 2 years. Coming back early at least gives him a shot to earn back his starting position and get on the field before December.

That seems a bit more likely then hearing Moss and saying well he's right I've been so wrong this entire time

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Actually, guys. Mankins is showing up early than he should. Mankins only has to show up on week 11 (he has to play 6 games) and he'll be credited for a season.  

He's early. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mankins does not have to PLAY in 6 games. He has to be on the roster for 6 games. He came back 2 weeks early. It has nothing to do with money(other than a game check). If he waited the 2 weeks or not he would have acrued his tenure.
    While I do not think that Moss had any relevance to the Mankins decision, I do think that Mankins does want to play, misses his team, and see's just as all of us do that the OL is struggling, and perhaps Connely is starting to wear down. A shot of Mankins at full speed for 6-7 games in my mind is a great addition to the OL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Mankins does not have to PLAY in 6 games. He has to be on the roster for 6 games. He came back 2 weeks early. It has nothing to do with money(other than a game check). If he waited the 2 weeks or not he would have acrued his tenure. While I do not think that Moss had any relevance to the Mankins decision, I do think that Mankins does want to play, misses his team, and see's just as all of us do that the OL is struggling, and perhaps Connely is starting to wear down. A shot of Mankins at full speed for 6-7 games in my mind is a great addition to the OL.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

The Oline struggling? ROFL, it has actually been one of the most solid units in the NFL. They've given the Pats a running game with BJGE and Woodhead running the ball as well as giving Brady tons of time and has allowed one of the lowest sacked or hurried totals in the league, which says a lot considering the great blitzing D's they faced so far. Trust me they are anything but struggling

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for contributing. I don't actually get your point, but I had a thought and was wondering if anyone else felt that way. Sorry if this offended you somehow. Maybe you could have just left it alone instead of whatever it was you tried to convey. Was it supposed to be funny??? Is this your way of calling me an idiot? When I reply to posts I try to add something to the topic. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Either way I try and make a point and explain why I feel that way. The board would be more enjoyable with less comments like yours

Wait, you don't get HIS point?

May I ask what yours is?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss / Mankins connection : The Oline struggling? ROFL, it has actually been one of the most solid units in the NFL. They've given the Pats a running game with BJGE and Woodhead running the ball as well as giving Brady tons of time and has allowed one of the lowest sacked or hurried totals in the league, which says a lot considering the great blitzing D's they faced so far. Trust me they are anything but struggling
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    I totally disagree. The first 2 games they played the OL played very well. I thought that the SD game and the first half of the Vikings game they played very poorly. (the 2nd half improvement is greatly due to Alge and Gronk). I do not see ANY running lanes other than the 2nd half Sunday, and Brady has been under more pressure the past 4 games than the first 3 games.
    Vollmer is playing below last years level. Light is playing below last years level. I thought last year was Koppens worst year, and this year is slight improvement. Connelly is good when in the open field(pulling/lining up at FB). When he plays in tight space, he regresses. No doubt in my mind, a rested Mankins c/b the best lineman over the last half of the schedule 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Or, the improvement is tied to gamecalling from O'Brien. Funny what happens when they actually commit to the run insteasd of using the stupid shotgun.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Mankins can't afford to continue to sit at home any longer and watch the Patriots bus roll along without him. Every week he waits increases the chance he won't see any playing time and being out of football for an entire year hurts his dream of being the highest paid OL in football. If anything going on with Moss made him think twice it was probably his departure from NE not Minn.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

hang3~ Hang-tight homeboy, don't let none of these either original idea-bashin' sychophants, or worse-downright Patriot haters get'cha down, forum needs novel thinking & honest threads like your's here...

And (*gasp), Ready for this ALL?  The idea had flashed across my mind, as well...

Ask me now, WHY-It isn't SO absurd to believe that Logan Mankins, upon seeing things such as:  Moss's Press Conference, in which Randy Moss lauded his praise onto The New England Patriots's Franchise, could NOT have had even a semblance of 1 single inner notion that just might have said (in otherwords):

"Hey, I got it pretty good here, always being part of such a driven, and success-oriented Franchise... Heck, They actually offered ME Top 5 Money for every NFL Player that plays MY position, WHILE they let go in a heartbeat, a wide receiver, who's gonna end up in Canton.  These Patriot Front Office people, aren't very frivilous in throwin' out the big bucks, just ta ANYbody, and/or keepin' just ANYbody on this dynastic franchise, merely for their name...  Hmmm, Maybe, just maybe (maybe?), the grass ain't 'greener' on the other side, after what I say HOF'er Randy Moss sayin' on a losing team?"

Don't worry hang3, YOUR notion that Logan Mankins signing his 1 year contract, and coming back BEFORE he absolutely NEEDS to, AND it occuring mere hours after Randy Moss's press-conference...Well-YOUR idea, really will NEVER catch on... 
    Ya wanna know why?  Here's WHY:

It would look trully awful for:
        #1) Jets's Fans- Whom would have to admit that their team spending insane amounts of money on high-priced veterans, merely to have 1 single successful year in the past 30 seasons or so, WHILE, at the same time, a player from their greatest rival, IS saying essentially, "Playing as a member for The New England Patriots's, is pretty d#mn sweet."  Far, far easier (on a Jets's Fan's fragile psyche) to say to YOU, some overused & id!otic metaphor (like): "Mankins didn't have some 'Disney' moment, You're assuming presumptions based on your pathetic team loyalty...".  ~Even though, reciprocally...THEY are doing the EXACT same (albeit for more pathetic purposes).
    It would ALSO, look trully awful for:
         #2) Indianapolis Fans- Anyone...anyone know why, or wish to wager a guess on the big news just outta Indy?  Anyone...anyone?  Polian: "Here Peyton, HERE is a blank check, Just fill it out as you choose."  Manning: "Ahh, Signing and dating that thing is a distraction to this week's game."  Polian: "But...but, it'll take 1/2 a second and make you the richest NFL Player EVER?!?"      
    Colts's Fan Rationale: "Distraction and Collective Bargaining Agreement in question."    
    REALITY CHECK:  "Patriots with 6 Draft Selections in first 3 Rounds of 2011 NFL Draft, Patriots with BEST Record in the NFL at present moment, Colts not lookin' so hot thus far (in many aspects).  Colts facing rebuilt Brady-led Patriots (gotta go through them now for SB hopes & IN Foxboro now in regular season for next 4 years), tougher division foes for Indy, aging vets & lesser drafts in past 2 years than previous several where they restocked quite well, A HUGE loss in what should have been a very good chance to win the 2010 Lombardi, etc., etc., etc..  IF anything, The BEST case for Indy is that Peyton just wants to sap a MORE massive amount of money from Indy's future Salary Cap (yes, there WILL be one)...  Colts's Fans can't even BEAR the "worst case" scenario about what Peyton manning plans for his future career...

~Ya See hang3, It is a far more "reasonable" & "tenable" notion to come to the conclusion, that Mankins's overriding anger & emotions, just happened to subside at the EXACT moment after seeing Randy Moss's Press-Conference, and several of the other situations unfolding through other teams throughout the league, THAN to admite that the simple idea just MIGHT, PERHAPS, In some way, shape or form, for 1 second, have crossed Logan Mankins Mind, which said:

"Playing for The New England Patriots, really ain't too shabby, Now Is It, pal?"

IF you're a fan from some other franchise....that thought is both terrifying AND potentially contagious.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

If he came back in Week 10, he would never see the field.  He wouldn't have time to get his football legs beneath him before the playoffs.

Plus I think he realizes that the Pats have the best record in the NFL without him.  He needs to get back ASAP so he can fight for playing time to show he's worth a contract.

Bad business decision on his part.  He'll probably look rusty and lose what value he had before the season started in the first place.