Moss talks contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Moss talks contract

Patriots' Moss feels 'not wanted' without contract offer
    By William Bendetson
    Special to CBSSports.com http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13894020/patriots-moss-feels-not-wanted-without-contract-offer

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots receiver Randy Moss, speaking for the first time since camp began, expresses frustration because the team has not offered him a new contract.

Moss, 33, entering the final year of a three-year deal, is scheduled to earn $6.4 million this season and said he thinks he deserves a new pact based on his production the past two seasons.

"When you have done so much and put so much work in, it kind of feels like I am not wanted," Moss said in an exclusive interview with CBSSports.com. "I am taking that in stride and playing my final year out and whatever the future holds is what it holds, but it is kind of a bad feeling -- feeling not wanted. It is not like my production has gone down. I am speaking from an individual standpoint. I don't know about Tom (Brady's) or whoever else's contract.

"I am a little older and understand the nature of the business -- the older you get the more your skills supposedly diminish, but I think I am getting wiser in how to use my physical skills. That's the frustrating part when you put so much heart and desire into things and feel like you are not wanted."

Last season, Moss caught 83 passes for 1,246 yards and 13 touchdowns. In 2009, he had 69 receptions for 1,008 yards and and 11 scores. Those seasons came on the heels of a 2007 campaign when he registered 98 catches for 1,493 yards and 23 TDs.

Like Brady, also 33, Moss is entering the final year of his deal and the Patriots would have to spend a lot to keep both players. The team usually prefers that players play out the final year of their contract before giving them a new one. That was the case last season with nose tackle Vince Wilfork, who received a new contract in the offseason after his six-year deal expired.

The team still has not reached an agreement with OL Logan Mankins. He remains a restricted free agent because of the absence of a new collective bargaining agreement even though his five year contract expired at the end of last season.

The Patriots open Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals at 1 p.m. ET on CBS.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Moss talks contract

At least he did not pull a Revis........

Look how successful Seymour and Samuel have been with their new teams

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In a way he's telling it like it is.  It is a business and the Pats aren't about to lock him up at the twilight of his career before the season even gets underway.  But heck, I think they have more pressing contract negotiations that have priority over Moss.

I really like Moss.  He's been a great player for the Pats.  I will not defend his remarks though.  Such posturing need not be done in public.  His public remarks are simply wrong on many fronts.  I understand that he's really just describing the cold hard facts of playing in the NFL, but he should keep quiet, play well this year, and let the chips fall where they may.  If his skills (and health) are intact, he doesn't need to fear for his job security.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Moss talks contract:
    He's been on the team for three years, doesn't he realize making players feel like they are not wanted is the Patriot way?  Ask Mankins, Asante, Seymour...
    Posted by PhatRex

Yes better to do it the Jets way.  How long has it been since they won a Super Bowl???

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Uh Oh, Lucy, there's gonna be problems! Don't want the king of sulk feeling unappreciated, that leads to alligator arms over the middle and not diving for overthrown balls. What gives with this team, is anyone happy in that locker room?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

OMG, get the tissue to dry his eyes.  How old is Moss?  What a load of crap he's pulling.  He has to know that this is a business and the team is taking a chance in not giving him a new contract in hopes he plays his best so he can get another contract next year.  The Patriots are covering their butts in not giving a guy his age a new contract when there is no guarantee there will be football next season and no guarantee Moss won't start to decline over the next two years. 

It sounds like Moss is in grade school and was the last guy picked for dodge ball.  Seriously, get a grip and understand it's business.  You are wanted but the owner isn't dumb enough to drop a load a cash for a guy at the end of his career and the possibility there might not be football next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

He's been on the team for three years, doesn't he realize making players feel like they are not wanted is the Patriot way?  Ask Mankins, Asante, Seymour...
    Posted by PhatRex

I should have known you would be here to open your big fat mouth!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm hoping the new players agreement is what's holding this up.  I would like to see Moss come back personally.  Then again we do have this youth movement going on and the brass may see it as a time to turn the page.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Moss is a great receiver, but judging what BB and Co have done every year since Bob Kraft took over the PATS, they WILL NOT over pay for him. While there have been few exceptions (like AD), the PATS generally do not overpay for players. They would rather take a shot with someone past their prime than over pay for someone. Look at Logan Mankins. That is why he is sitting out. They offered him a fair deal and he was too greedy, so the PATS stood their ground. I think they are hoping to see what they have from Tate, Welker, and Edelmann before shelling out big bucks to Moss. They have Brady to think about too.

If Moss wants to keep winning with a shot to win the Super Bowl almost every year he has left in his pro career. He will take a reasonable offer from the Pats. If he wants to be one of the three highest paid receivers in football, we will be watching a fun matchup of McCourty vs. Moss in years to come.

This situation will really come down to Moss and Moss alone. The PATS will offer him a fair deal and it will be up to Randy to take it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Mankins all DESERVE a new contract from the Patriots right now. Posted by 617AcrossDaBoard[/QUOTE]

This is what I don't get with some people / fans / analysts, etc.

Mankins received more than a fair deal from the Pats. Geezus, they offered the guy $7mil a year for 5 years and HE TURNED IT DOWN. He was upset because Evans got $8.1 mil. This was totally Mankins being a whinny baby and greedy. He's a five year pro and on his first contract. Yes, he's had five good years, more like 3 great years and 2 solid years, but that doesn't command $8mil a year. He wants to be overpaid.....PERIOD! The Pats are unwilling to overpay for anyone, including Tom Brady.

The best thing NE could have done was trade Mankins and get a good draft pick for him because what are we getting right now from him? Nothing. I'd rather kick a few extra dollars at TB and Moss at this point, which in my opinion and #1 QB and a #1 WR is more important than a very good guard.

I hate all these whinny babies who are in their first contracts and then cry when they have 1 or 2 years left and sit out for a new contract. Honor the freaking terms of your contract and THEN whine about getting a great offer when your a UFA.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I don't blame the guy.  I'm a top performer at my company and if they stiffed me on a raise I'd be rather disgruntled like everyone here, who works, would be.

The Front Office silence speaks loudly to Professional Athletes and their Agents.  It's something this organization has done during the BB era and I personally don't agree with it.  I feel it does nothing but bring negative feelings into the locker room.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BloodnGutz. Show BloodnGutz's posts

I don't blame the guy.  I'm a top performer at my company and if they stiffed me on a raise I'd be rather disgruntled like everyone here, who works, would be. The Front Office silence speaks loudly to Professional Athletes and their Agents.  It's something this organization has done during the BB era and I personally don't agree with it.  I feel it does nothing but bring negative feelings into the locker room.
    Posted by Tcal2

You have a point but dont you think before he stats cryin glike a baby he should wait until its time to sign on the dotted line?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I don't blame the guy.  I'm a top performer at my company and if they stiffed me on a raise I'd be rather disgruntled like everyone here, who works, would be. The Front Office silence speaks loudly to Professional Athletes and their Agents.  It's something this organization has done during the BB era and I personally don't agree with it.  I feel it does nothing but bring negative feelings into the locker room.
    Posted by Tcal2

I think most can agree with you.  That said, are you working in a profession where you become less competent or capable with age...as in become obsolete somewhere in your 30's?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

He signed I believe a 3 year $27 mil contract originally.
    He is this year's highest paid Patriot salary wise I believe as well.

If he signed a 3 year $20 mil contract $11 guarenteed, then that should work for both sides I would think.  Not sure he would take nearly 10 mill less, but to stay in NE for SB chances and play with TB should sway him some.  Especially now that there is help around him, because it is only going to help take away some double teams and keep him productive to chase Jerry's numbers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Posted by Tcal2

Totally agree with this.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Not paying players and putting mediocre teams on the field will only last so long before people quit buying tickets/merchandise, etc... Sort of sick of it. Not gonna be happy to see Moss go to some SB contender next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

This is the last year Moss plays for the Patriots. He won't be resigned. The Patriots are rebuilding. There shouldn't be any hard feelings from either side. Moss hasn't beeen stiffed. He's been payed good money and the Patriots helped revitilize his carrier. He's been a good contributor and for the most part he's remained a team player. In two years the Patriots will be competing for a title and Moss will most likely be finishing his carrier with the Bucs or Browns etc.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

I know what I want to see. An ad.

The Krafts have made a rightfully respected name doing nice things for this city.

They have always been thought of in the echelon of the highly regarded wealthy; and they are stratospherically better than many sleazy professional sports team owners we've heard of - and lived through.

But. No one ever buys a pro team unless they want to strut. Why would they? It makes them alarmingly visible, and constantly nagged to donate to this or that.

I believe Mr Kraft enjoys being thought of as a dynamite businessman. He cultivates that persona - which is perfectly okay with me.

Instead of being thought of as one of the most cunning owners out there, perhaps he would consider being known as the owner EVERYBODY wanted to play for. Sure, he has made a nice place here, and - outside of salary considerations - the Pats are known to be pretty good to their players.

Think instead, if players KNEW that if they were able to play for the Pats - they would NEVER have to worry about the things that cut short other players' careers. The Pats could be the only place where the team cared about their players so much that they offer perks that young men and their families are most concerned about. There are scores of things that can make their lives less stressful.

From little things, like the future education of any child born to them while they play in NE being fully guaranteed - to bigger ones like after x seasons the player will be given a vesting in a set-aside-for-these-purposes portion of the entire franchise. That is, the franchise sets aside Y percent as a kind of player's pool.
    Have the players understand they are investing in the Pats in a kind of cooperative way - in addition to on the field and in the community. Perhaps some new kind of a vested family.

Players would feel they hit the jackpot when they played here, which would mean that the Pats would be THE destination - even more than before.

This would cost Mr Kraft money. But it would be a pittance compared to the positive and long lasting PR and the immense fan pride. The psyches of team members would be completely different, more like those old ads showing Corey Dillon boasting, "Not in MY house."

Little kids would be admonished to eat their spinach so that they could one day grow up and work for Mr Kraft.

Please think outside the box, Mr Kraft.
    Moss, like Brady and Mankins - in fact like ALL people - wants to be appreciated. It is great to be thought of as shrewd or clever but quite another to be thought of as ingeniously cheap.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

This is the last year Moss plays for the Patriots. He won't be resigned. The Patriots are rebuilding. There shouldn't be any hard feelings from either side. Moss hasn't been stiffed. he been paid good money and the Patriots helped revitalize his carrer.
    In a couple years the Patriots will be back competing for another title and Moss will be playing for the Buc or the Browns etc. That's just the way it is. That's Life.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

they need to give him,brady,and mankins new deals.being an uncapped year should be the best time to do it.moss draws double coverage.who else do we have on the team that can do that?I would think the season could be much better for the team with all the players being happy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I like Moss alot, but I wish he would've took the high road on his feelings and kept them private till after the season. Kinda like Wilfork did and Brady is doing.

now all the naysayers and crybabies will come out of the woodwork whenever he drops a pass or doesn't dive for a low pass.

Sections
Shortcuts