1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Re: Moss talks contract

its not that the pats done pay because they are cheap
    they are at the top of their cap anyway
    pats ensure that they get the most bang for their buck

id love to see moss end his career as a patriot, with a few superbowl rings

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm thinking Randy is probably a realist.

He believe he's got one more big payday in him (and he's probably right) and it's not likely to come from the Pats. A half-hearted effort isn't going to get him that payday, so my guess is the Pats are banking on a career year from Moss and are ready to cut ties after that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Moss talks contract:
    I like Moss alot, but I wish he would've took the high road on his feelings and kept them private till after the season. Kinda like Wilfork did and Brady is doing. now all the naysayers and crybabies will come out of the woodwork whenever he drops a pass or doesn't dive for a low pass.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

It was Wilfork's wife who was opening her gap tooth mouth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

He's been on the team for three years, doesn't he realize making players feel like they are not wanted is the Patriot way?  Ask Mankins, Asante, Seymour...
    Posted by PhatRex

You are a dirtbag.  Leave.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I know what I want to see. An ad. The Krafts have made a rightfully respected name doing nice things for this city. They have always been thought of in the echelon of the highly regarded wealthy; and they are stratospherically better than many sleazy professional sports team owners we've heard of - and lived through. But. No one ever buys a pro team unless they want to strut. Why would they? It makes them alarmingly visible, and constantly nagged to donate to this or that. I believe Mr Kraft enjoys being thought of as a dynamite businessman. He cultivates that persona - which is perfectly okay with me. Instead of being thought of as one of the most cunning owners out there, perhaps he would consider being known as the owner EVERYBODY wanted to play for. Sure, he has made a nice place here, and - outside of salary considerations - the Pats are known to be pretty good to their players. Think instead, if players KNEW that if they were able to play for the Pats - they would NEVER have to worry about the things that cut short other players' careers. The Pats could be the only place where the team cared about their players so much that they offer perks that young men and their families are most concerned about. There are scores of things that can make their lives less stressful.   From little things, like the future education of any child born to them while they play in NE being fully guaranteed - to bigger ones like after x seasons the player will be given a vesting in a set-aside-for-these-purposes portion of the entire franchise. That is, the franchise sets aside Y percent as a kind of player's pool. Have the players understand they are investing in the Pats in a kind of cooperative way - in addition to on the field and in the community. Perhaps some new kind of a vested family. Players would feel they hit the jackpot when they played here, which would mean that the Pats would be THE destination - even more than before. This would cost Mr Kraft money. But it would be a pittance compared to the positive and long lasting PR and the immense fan pride. The psyches of team members would be completely different, more like those old ads showing Corey Dillon boasting, "Not in MY house." Little kids would be admonished to eat their spinach so that they could one day grow up and work for Mr Kraft. Please think outside the box, Mr Kraft. Moss, like Brady and Mankins - in fact like ALL people - wants to be appreciated. It is great to be thought of as shrewd or clever but quite another to be thought of as ingeniously cheap.
    Posted by Stay-Pro

So, just alot of money and winning isn't good enough?  They have to be pampered also.  Paying for their kids education?  Are you serious?  A player gets paid millions of dollars and can't pay for his own kids education?  Please!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Gostkowski was in the same situation as Mankins. He handled the situation professionally and was rewarded.

Call me stupid but since when do teams give new contracts before the old one is up? I know the Patriots rarely do this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Let him go.  If he wants to play hard, fine.  If not, bench.  We are obviously in move on mode, and I have not been entirely satisfied with him anyway.   But wait until NOW and start talking?  Eh.  Time to move on.  BTW, our running game will be great.  Watch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's been on the team for three years, doesn't he realize making players feel like they are not wanted is the Patriot way?  Ask Mankins, Asante, Seymour...
    Posted by PhatRex

We all know the Jets treat their players with such love and respect. Kerry Rhodes, Leon Washington, Thomas Jones, Tony Richardson and Faneca were all treated with such respect. 

Talk about a clown. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phizzeldickus. Show Phizzeldickus's posts

In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : You are a dirtbag.  Leave.
    Posted by Davedsone

Your gonna get banned for your filthy mouth troll

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleLazJunior. Show LittleLazJunior's posts

In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : You are a dirtbag.  Leave.
    Posted by Davedsone

Hey big mouth! Why dont you just shut it and move on? Getting tired of people like you thinking they can run the forums. Time to get rid of you!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

I don't blame the guy.  I'm a top performer at my company and if they stiffed me on a raise I'd be rather disgruntled like everyone here, who works, would be. The Front Office silence speaks loudly to Professional Athletes and their Agents.  It's something this organization has done during the BB era and I personally don't agree with it.  I feel it does nothing but bring negative feelings into the locker room.
    Posted by Tcal2

TCal,

I understand the jist of what you are saying, however, are you working under a contract? I ask because I work under a contract in my profession. I agreed to the terms of the contract I work under for the specified period that the contract covers. While I'm under that contract, how can I complain about "not getting a raise" or any other terms covered under my collective bargaining? I really can't.

It is the same as these pro athletes who sign a deal and then outperform. Guess what, you signed a contract. Keep performing and you'll get your payday when the contract expires.

Now, if I don't work under a contract, then fine. If I outperform, then my numbers should speak towards a raise. But if you are under a contract, thats the nature of the business.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

One other thing to consider. I love Moss and would like to see him stay as a Patriot. But what if he puts up great numbers, do you make him the highest paid in the league? at his age? You got to consider the business side of things. It's hard to say right now because we don't even know what Moss wants in terms of salary. Moss is a game changer and is perfect in the Pats offense, however do you overpay for 1 or 2 more years of very good production? It would be nice to have an unlimited checkbook, but no everyone can get top money.

And to the idiot (I believe it was PhatRex) that mentioned something to the effect that Mankins hasn't been shown respect......you're an idiot. Do you realize that Mankins was offered a mega deal for a guard and he turned it down? We aren't talking significant difference in numbers either. The fact is, Mankins is a whinny baby whose only goal was to be the highest paid in the league at his position. Funny thing is, he probably isn't the best guard in the league anyways. Top 5, yeah probably, but the best, probably not.

The PATS in no way shape or form disrepected Mankins. He was signed to a deal and should honor his end. The pats offered a great deal and he turned it down. P1ss on him. Contract terms should be honored. Players like Mankins and Revis who hold out have no one to blame but themselves. What would happen if the Pats withheld money from a player in the final year or two of their contract cause they didn't perform as expected? The NFLPA would be all over it, yet the players do it.

I got no sympathy for players who act like greedy children. Act like a man, just like Brady has, and play forth your terms of the contract.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Guys, just because Belichick doesn't discuss contracts and personnel through the media and through live chats doesn't mean he doesn't talk to players face-to-face behind the scenes. I think older players love coming to New England because it's a business-like approach in every sense of the word: you're asked to come in, do your job, keep your mouth shut, and as a result, be put in a position to win every year.

I just don't think Bill and Kraft are unwilling to discuss contracts until they expire; I'm pretty sure they have dialog with the players but just not through the media.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I'm hoping the new players agreement is what's holding this up.  I would like to see Moss come back personally.  Then again we do have this youth movement going on and the brass may see it as a time to turn the page.
    Posted by garytx

Lets hope it is the new CBA. Honestly Moss should at least be offered a contract in the offseason even if he does turn it down. Anyway I have no problem turning the page on any player. As long as Tom Brady is not that player. We already know we can win a champiopnship without Moss, but without #12 taking the snaps our chances go down tremendously.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombdog. Show bombdog's posts

The pats will make the right decision with Moss when the time is right. In a lighter note its so enjoyable reading the posts with BloodNGuts and Underdogg and Phat Rex on ignore status

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phoenix125. Show Phoenix125's posts

Fine, offer contracts to both Brady and Moss based on the 2009 salary cap restrictions.  As far as we know the salary cap will be put back in place.  Teams that have offered excellent contracts to free-agents this season may regret in it 2011.

Brady and Moss should wait until the end of the season or when the CBA is finalized to discuss their contracts, whichever comes first.  The Kraft's run a business and are not about to let their franchise players leave.

As for Mankin's, the Patriot's organization tried their best.  With most of the other holdouts the Patriot's brought them back and promised not to Franchise the player again.  Mankin's has a fool for an Agent!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : Nice try.  You've got to keep up with current events. TR is still on the Jets.
    Posted by PhatRex

about the Jets. I don't follow them. All I know is come week 2, your Phatass won't be seen all week after we take you down. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : It was Wilfork's wife who was opening her gap tooth mouth.

Posted by Tcal2

That was classy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : TCal, I understand the jist of what you are saying, however, are you working under a contract? I ask because I work under a contract in my profession. I agreed to the terms of the contract I work under for the specified period that the contract covers. While I'm under that contract, how can I complain about "not getting a raise" or any other terms covered under my collective bargaining? I really can't. It is the same as these pro athletes who sign a deal and then outperform. Guess what, you signed a contract. Keep performing and you'll get your payday when the contract expires. Now, if I don't work under a contract, then fine. If I outperform, then my numbers should speak towards a raise. But if you are under a contract, thats the nature of the business.
    Posted by 4Adam13

I don't think Moss is complaining about his current contract or choosing not to work under it.  I think he's just griping (mildly at that) about not being offered a new one since the current one is about to expire.

NFL contracts are unusual because the team can cancel them at any time, but the player can't.  Plus, there are a lot of rules that limit the player's freedom to negotiate with other teams.  This is why getting guaranteed money upfront is so important to players (and it's why Mankins is pissed off, because apparently the Pats didn't offer him much guaranteed money.)  Under the collective bargaining agreement the only leverage players have is to hold out (it's allowed, with penalties like loss of salary and a year's experience), so if they want to use that tool to try to push for a better contract, I can't really hold it against them. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

hes near the end and wants another payday...  if he gets hurt this year he gets nothing next year... so they want to extend now...its common sense and he has no other way to address it except in the media...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

No player wants to play out their contract.  Its playing without future security.  Dangerous.  Most great players can get a contract done before their final year, but this year is different, and most teams are doing as little as possible because they don't know what the new CBA will look like.  Creates disgruntled players. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

russ are you now posting as your fazur???...nice... keep it in the family....

moss was loved nicely when kraft gave him the 27m. of which he is still under contract to...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Lets keep it simple, an unhappy moss is not good for the pats.  He is unmotivated to help this team and has proven in the past that he needs to be motivated.  He has towed the company line a lot longer than I thought he could.  I thought he would speak out during the offseason.  But now that the games are about to begin, he doesnt want to play without that security against injury.  If he doesnt get anything worked out I suspect him to look all sad and alone on the sidelines.  I definately dont see him going all out for the pats without a new deal.

Sections
Shortcuts