Moss talks contract

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Moss talks contract

NFL stands for "Not For Long".

Moss has had a great natural talent, and I'm grateful that he signed three hot contracts in his lifetime and made a pile of money, starting with a $75 million dollar contract extension in 2001. 

Now Randy Moss will be 34 years old as of next February.  He's not going to be offered a "respect" contract in New England.  He's going to get a three year "what will you actually deliver when you're 36 years old" contract.  He'll still have all sorts of skills, but he might not have as much speed and realistically he might not be healthy as much.

Tom Brady will also be 34 next August, but if he gets a step slower nobody will notice.  Quarterbacks are protected from half of the NFL hits that other players take, so they sometimes go until age 40, or in the case of Brett Favre, age 65.  At age 36 Tom will probably be delivering the pigskin into Gronk's hands just fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Moss talks contract:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : Another Yankee fan?  That's the same line they all use.  But what does it have to do with treating the players that have done well for you poorly?
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

Phat Rex please detail with examples how teh Pats have treated Moss poorly.  Or any other the players you mentioned?

Correct me if I am wrong but Moss willingly signed the contract he is currently working under.  You do know what a contract is right?  So he is getting 6.5 million to play football this year and that is being treated poorly?

Are you saying he is treated poorly because they will not sign him to a new deal?  Hello PhatRex welcome to the real world.  Its their team, their money, and their right to pay who they want, what they want.

All the players you mentioned havent been treated poorly, they and the team disagree over their worth.  If the players are unhappy with what they are offered, they are free to go somewhere else just like the rest of us.

Getting paid 6.5 million to play a game for 16 weeks out of the year and he is being treated poorly.  PhatRex you have an odd definition of being treated poorly. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : I don't think Moss is complaining about his current contract or choosing not to work under it.  I think he's just griping (mildly at that) about not being offered a new one since the current one is about to expire. [/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I don't see how anyone can think he's being a jerk or anything like that. He is going to come to play because regardless his next contract somewere is riding on it. Other than Larry Fitzgerlad and Andre Johnson nobody has been comparable to Moss since he joined the Pats and they are clearly the best 3 in the league IMO. You can maybe throw in Brandon Marshall the last couule of years but TD's is the name of the game and he's has the most over a 3 year span. Average 16 which is insane with 23 11 13. I just hope the Pats at least pitch him an offer. If it's not what he feels he's worth than so be it but I really don't want to hear about them not even approaching him. He's been too productive on the field. Oviously he's got to get through the year first and expect a monster one if healthy in the range of 12-15 TD's 1200 yards 80 catches. Maybe more.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Hang in there Randy, your payday is coming!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]Uh Oh, Lucy, there's gonna be problems! Don't want the king of sulk feeling unappreciated, that leads to alligator arms over the middle and not diving for overthrown balls. What gives with this team, is anyone happy in that locker room?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

It looked like he was not reaching for the ball last year, but in all fariness he was playing most of the season with two injuries that would have kept some receivers off the field.  The fact that he played anyway and lead the league in TDs meeans to me that he is reliable,  highly valuable contributor who sacrificed his health because he knew the Pats were short on receivers last year.

However, I wish he would not handle his gripe this way.  He was late during the storm last year after the coach specifically told the players not to be late because of the storm. He was reportedly showing up just-in-time for work daily, which is not the expected behavior of a team captain, entor to a bunch of young, new players. And he made contract gripes public before this. Yet he was the highest-paid player on the team and the Pats broke the bank for him in 2007. He forgets how close he was to never playing for a meaningful team again before the Pats gave him a chance and took a chance in doing so.

Let's hope he is very successful again this season, the Pats reward him in kind, and Moss can play in N.E. until he retires. I don't think he is a bad guy or a problem. I just think he is extra-emotional - which can be good and bad bat various times.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think I'd re-up Moss for another deal like the last one he signed a few years back.  He has at least 3 more productive years in him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

This isn't bad news. Moss playing for a contract and playing with a chip on his shoulder can only mean a great year out of him. He's playing the 3rd year of a 3 yr- 27mil deal so he's not underpaid. This seems to be the new trend in football where nobody wants to play their deal out. They get the upfront money and then want to renegotiate more upfront money in the tail end of the contract. Looking at the situation my guess is Moss won't be back next year so let's get everything out of him that we can this year.

There will be some team out there that is willing to pay more for him or give him an extra year on a contract. So as long as Brady doesn't under throw him all year he could be looking at 15-16 TD's and definitely over a 1000yds this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]This isn't bad news. Moss playing for a contract and playing with a chip on his shoulder can only mean a great year out of him. He's playing the 3rd year of a 3 yr- 27mil deal so he's not underpaid. This seems to be the new trend in football where nobody wants to play their deal out. They get the upfront money and then want to renegotiate more upfront money in the tail end of the contract. Looking at the situation my guess is Moss won't be back next year so let's get everything out of him that we can this year. There will be some team out there that is willing to pay more for him or give him an extra year on a contract. So as long as Brady doesn't under throw him all year he could be looking at 15-16 TD's and definitely over a 1000yds this year.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

Yeah E, my concern is that the offense appears ready to take it back to the old school. 2 TE sets running the ball and needing the wide out to throw some blocks and run decoy routes. I am worried if Randy doesn't get his touches he may view it as the Pats "Tryin to keep money outta my pocket" That negative attitude can have an affect on the teams moral. I just hope he doesn't sulk around all season.

Bottom line is if and when Moss leaves he should look back on his career and think, "Man if I had only manned up in NE and stayed with TB I may be 1st place in the record books instead of 2nd". I just wonder if he is smart enough to realize this?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

RE-UP Moss now - If they don't - he wont' be around after this year as he'll get MORE $$ elsewhere.  If they re-up him now, he'll be around with Brady for a couple more years atleast. 

Moss is one of the most important Patriot players on this team right now. (Brady / Welker / Wilfork being the others....on the short list)  To think about who would Brady's #1 WR be - is scary if it isn't Moss.....

RE-UP Moss.  He has been a good egg here and has a great relationship with Brady (or atleast it seems like it from our point of view)....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : Yeah E, my concern is that the offense appears ready to take it back to the old school. 2 TE sets running the ball and needing the wide out to throw some blocks and run decoy routes. I am worried if Randy doesn't get his touches he may view it as the Pats "Tryin to keep money outta my pocket" That negative attitude can have an affect on the teams moral. I just hope he doesn't sulk around all season. Bottom line is if and when Moss leaves he should look back on his career and think, "Man if I had only manned up in NE and stayed with TB I may be 1st place in the record books instead of 2nd". I just wonder if he is smart enough to realize this?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Unless he plays another 6 years ( HIGHLY unlikely) won't be number 1 in anything anyway except for potentially receiving TD's so it's not relevant. The only record he has is single season TD's with 23. Rice had 22 in 12 games but the season got cut short which is even better. He wants money. He's already considered the 2nd or 3rd best receiver ever in which I think he's 2 and IS the most talented receiver ever to play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : Yeah E, my concern is that the offense appears ready to take it back to the old school. 2 TE sets running the ball and needing the wide out to throw some blocks and run decoy routes. I am worried if Randy doesn't get his touches he may view it as the Pats "Tryin to keep money outta my pocket" That negative attitude can have an affect on the teams moral. I just hope he doesn't sulk around all season. Bottom line is if and when Moss leaves he should look back on his career and think, "Man if I had only manned up in NE and stayed with TB I may be 1st place in the record books instead of 2nd". I just wonder if he is smart enough to realize this?

Quite possible champ..This was the risk when we signed him but he's been completely professional on the field so far. I think the 2 TE's might possibly play into his game though. When you look at the preseason he had an opportunity for that deep pass every game. It was there in the last 2 games also but underthrown. Moss appears to be in as good  shape as when he showed up here. Blowing past double coverages. I look at last year and Moss didn't even seem like he had a great year but he still put up hall of fame numbers( Hurt ). 5 days till Cincy then we get the answers to a lot of questions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yeah I love what he has done for us and think he should be fine. Its just the recent news that has come out. Did you guys catch the article by Gasper about Moss sulking at the charity event with his head phones on sitting in the corner by himself?

To be clear I think he has busted his hump on the field and that is what counts, but locker room influence goes a long way too. A lot of young players on this team that will look up to HOF's like Randy and Tom. I know Tom will be there to help them, but Randy may be sitting in the corner with his 1000 dollar head phones tuning everybody else out. Not sure that helps.

Anyway winning usually cures most problems. I think the Pats will be doing a lot of that this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah I love what he has done for us and think he should be fine. Its just the recent news that has come out. Did you guys catch the article by Gasper about Moss sulking at the charity event with his head phones on sitting in the corner by himself? To be clear I think he has busted his hump on the field and that is what counts, but locker room influence goes a long way too. A lot of young players on this team that will look up to HOF's like Randy and Tom. I know Tom will be there to help them, but Randy may be sitting in the corner with his 1000 dollar head phones tuning everybody else out. Not sure that helps. Anyway winning usually cures most problems. I think the Pats will be doing a lot of that this year.

That's why he doesn't get all the extra gigs like commercials that he is looking for.

Agree with premise #2 plus I'm sure Brady will be feeding him the ball quite a bit this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss talks contract : I don't think Moss is complaining about his current contract or choosing not to work under it.  I think he's just griping (mildly at that) about not being offered a new one since the current one is about to expire. NFL contracts are unusual because the team can cancel them at any time, but the player can't.  Plus, there are a lot of rules that limit the player's freedom to negotiate with other teams.  This is why getting guaranteed money upfront is so important to players (and it's why Mankins is pissed off, because apparently the Pats didn't offer him much guaranteed money.)  Under the collective bargaining agreement the only leverage players have is to hold out (it's allowed, with penalties like loss of salary and a year's experience), so if they want to use that tool to try to push for a better contract, I can't really hold it against them. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Prolate, I was referring to TCAL's comment about not getting a raise. You aren't entitled to a raise when you work under a contract unless the contract specifies it. I wasn't alluding that Moss is unhappy with his contract, but negating TCAL's comment of "I'd be mad if I didn't a raise too".

Sections
Shortcuts