Moss Trade Makes Sense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Moss Trade Makes Sense

Like most of you, when I heard that the Patriots were trading Randy Moss for just a 3rd round pick, I was livid. But, having a day to think about why this was done, I support this trade.

I respect Randy Moss, and thank him for his generally fine play, ever since the Pats acquired him in 2007. I understand and can appreciate his concerns about getting a contract extension now, in light of the possibility of a work stoppage in 2011. But, the fact of the matter is that Moss was clearly letting his contractual concerns affect his play, and attitude. Moss reportedly is seeking an extension which would provide him with a yearly salary on par with an average of the pay received by the five highest paid WRs in the game. 

The Patriots weren't going to pay that...nor should they...for a 33 year old WR. Apparently, neither were the Minnesota Vikings, who were unable or unwilling to give Moss that type of lucrative extension. But, so desperate were the Vikings for receiver help that they sent the Patriots a 3rd round pick, for what amounts to a 12 game rental of Moss. 

This move may surprisingly serve to make the Patriots a better team. No longer will  Tom Brady be obliged to throw those hopeless bombs to Moss (which usually were intercepted), to keep Moss happy, focused, and in the game. Now, Tom can go back to distributing the ball to all, and get drunk on the dink and dunk, which was so successful in the pre-Moss years. The offense will evolve into more of a ball-control unit. Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, and Taylor Price will see more passes, and have a chance to develop into solid players. 

Surely, this was not a hasty decision made by BB. He obviously has thought about life after Moss...and believes that he has the talent to be successful without Randy. The receipt of a 3rd round pick is being much maligned. But, let me remind Pats' fans that, in 2009, the Patriots had a 3rd round pick, #89 overall...and traded it to the Tennessee for the Titans' 2nd round pick in 2010. So, a 3rd round pick, even though in and of itself might not provide instant gratification, can be a valuable bargaining chip.

Many pundits are claiming that, by trading Moss, the Patriots are tossing in the towel for the 2010 season, and conceding the AFC East to the Jets. I completely disagree. BB is going to use such talk as a rallying point for his team...much as he did with the spygate BS. The Pats will be playing with "House" money...as nothing shall be expected of them. Watch out...NFL.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

Re: Moss Trade Makes Sense

Moral of Story:

Do not knee jerk your reactions in life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Moss Trade Makes Sense:
    [QUOTE]Moral of Story: Do not knee jerk your reactions in life.
    Posted by WeisOffenseReturns[/QUOTE]

True, true. Moss is 33 years old...and, although talented, is pretty one-dimentional. The Pats needed to move on. They will evolve into a better team without him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here are some cold, hard, football facts which support the trade: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/10/06/moss/index.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

DITTO!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Nice article.  Does this mean that the Jets will get worse when their 2nd hood ornament (Holmes) comes back next week?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from d-st. Show d-st's posts

Randy Moss had one good year as a Patriot in 2006 which got him a huge contract.  Moss's performance decreased after that year.  The Patriots couldn't win a Superbowl with Moss so it is no big loss for the Patriots to trade Moss.  Moss is no longer worth the money.  Moss only gets a few catches a game and sometimes no catches.  Why is he worth that much for not catching a ball?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

There's ample logic in your reasoning Tex.  But, there's no denying this leaves a gaping hole in their offense.  There's no way I can buy anybody saying this makes them stronger in 2010.  You don't remove a player like Moss without replacing him and conclude you're better off, at least from a talent perspective. 
    Can they adapt and still win?  Perhaps, but there will be some adjustment and absent a trade, they're going to need guys to step up big time.  It's not unlike dealing Seymour, except they got less in return.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I predict that if or when Brady does go back to completing passes to 8 receivers a game, you will see the return of the "clutch" factor too.  I believe the two are related.  He was clutch because he was accustomed to looking at every guy downfield with two hands attached to a body.  When you do that you are more likely to find that one guy who is about to break open when you really need the play.  Additionally, although all players should run their routes to the fullest on every play, it's not a stretch to imagine players playing a little harder when they truly believe the ball might go to them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Moss Trade Makes Sense:
    [QUOTE]     Like most of you, when I heard that the Patriots were trading Randy Moss for just a 3rd round pick, I was livid. But, having a day to think about why this was done, I support this trade.      I respect Randy Moss, and thank him for his generally fine play, ever since the Pats acquired him in 2007. I understand and can appreciate his concerns about getting a contract extension now, in light of the possibility of a work stoppage in 2011. But, the fact of the matter is that Moss was clearly letting his contractual concerns affect his play, and attitude. Moss reportedly is seeking an extension which would provide him with a yearly salary on par with an average of the pay received by the five highest paid WRs in the game.       The Patriots weren't going to pay that...nor should they...for a 33 year old WR. Apparently, neither were the Minnesota Vikings, who were unable or unwilling to give Moss that type of lucrative extension. But, so desperate were the Vikings for receiver help that they sent the Patriots a 3rd round pick, for what amounts to a 12 game rental of Moss.       This move may surprisingly serve to make the Patriots a better team. No longer will  Tom Brady be obliged to throw those hopeless bombs to Moss (which usually were intercepted), to keep Moss happy, focused, and in the game. Now, Tom can go back to distributing the ball to all, and get drunk on the dink and dunk, which was so successful in the pre-Moss years. The offense will evolve into more of a ball-control unit. Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, and Taylor Price will see more passes, and have a chance to develop into solid players.       Surely, this was not a hasty decision made by BB. He obviously has thought about life after Moss...and believes that he has the talent to be successful without Randy. The receipt of a 3rd round pick is being much maligned. But, let me remind Pats' fans that, in 2009, the Patriots had a 3rd round pick, #89 overall...and traded it to the Tennessee for the Titans' 2nd round pick in 2010. So, a 3rd round pick, even though in and of itself might not provide instant gratification, can be a valuable bargaining chip.      Many pundits are claiming that, by trading Moss, the Patriots are tossing in the towel for the 2010 season, and conceding the AFC East to the Jets. I completely disagree. BB is going to use such talk as a rallying point for his team...much as he did with the spygate BS. The Pats will be playing with "House" money...as nothing shall be expected of them. Watch out...NFL.        
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Just like the Seymour trade hurt that year, I think the same will occur with Moss.  This team is not going to morph into the 2001 Pats this year (especially that defense).  I wont go as far as saying they "throw in the towel" but I think they thought they did not have a legit shot this year and went ahead and made the move.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Moss Trade Makes Sense : Just like the Seymour trade hurt that year, I think the same will occur with Moss.  This team is not going to morph into the 2001 Pats this year (especially that defense).  I wont go as far as saying they "throw in the towel" but I think they thought they did not have a legit shot this year and went ahead and made the move.
    Posted by Patsman2[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, did anyone notice we are 3-1 and tied for the division lead?  Also, if the season ended today we would have a wild card spot.  Let's see how things develop and don't foget we had two weeks to get adjusted to a no-Moss offense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

I would like to hear what Tom Brady has to say

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Moss Trade Makes Sense:
    [QUOTE]     Like most of you, when I heard that the Patriots were trading Randy Moss for just a 3rd round pick, I was livid. But, having a day to think about why this was done, I support this trade.      I respect Randy Moss, and thank him for his generally fine play, ever since the Pats acquired him in 2007. I understand and can appreciate his concerns about getting a contract extension now, in light of the possibility of a work stoppage in 2011. But, the fact of the matter is that Moss was clearly letting his contractual concerns affect his play, and attitude. Moss reportedly is seeking an extension which would provide him with a yearly salary on par with an average of the pay received by the five highest paid WRs in the game.       The Patriots weren't going to pay that...nor should they...for a 33 year old WR. Apparently, neither were the Minnesota Vikings, who were unable or unwilling to give Moss that type of lucrative extension. But, so desperate were the Vikings for receiver help that they sent the Patriots a 3rd round pick, for what amounts to a 12 game rental of Moss.       This move may surprisingly serve to make the Patriots a better team. No longer will  Tom Brady be obliged to throw those hopeless bombs to Moss (which usually were intercepted), to keep Moss happy, focused, and in the game. Now, Tom can go back to distributing the ball to all, and get drunk on the dink and dunk, which was so successful in the pre-Moss years. The offense will evolve into more of a ball-control unit. Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, Brandon Tate, and Taylor Price will see more passes, and have a chance to develop into solid players.       Surely, this was not a hasty decision made by BB. He obviously has thought about life after Moss...and believes that he has the talent to be successful without Randy. The receipt of a 3rd round pick is being much maligned. But, let me remind Pats' fans that, in 2009, the Patriots had a 3rd round pick, #89 overall...and traded it to the Tennessee for the Titans' 2nd round pick in 2010. So, a 3rd round pick, even though in and of itself might not provide instant gratification, can be a valuable bargaining chip.      Many pundits are claiming that, by trading Moss, the Patriots are tossing in the towel for the 2010 season, and conceding the AFC East to the Jets. I completely disagree. BB is going to use such talk as a rallying point for his team...much as he did with the spygate BS. The Pats will be playing with "House" money...as nothing shall be expected of them. Watch out...NFL.        
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]TP3, I concur with your analogy regarding BB's usage of the no one thinks we can win against tougher teams now that Moss is gone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]There's ample logic in your reasoning Tex.  But, there's no denying this leaves a gaping hole in their offense.  There's no way I can buy anybody saying this makes them stronger in 2010.  You don't remove a player like Moss without replacing him and conclude you're better off, at least from a talent perspective.  Can they adapt and still win?  Perhaps, but there will be some adjustment and absent a trade, they're going to need guys to step up big time.  It's not unlike dealing Seymour, except they got less in return.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

I don't think that the Pats are going to miss Moss as much as you think. But, even assuming that you're right, do you really think that the Pats had what it takes to win it all, with Moss?  Randy's a great player, when he wanted to be. But, his contract concerns, and his age, were getting in the way of his performing like the Randy of old. 

BB and the Pats were right to get something for him, and move on. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I would like to hear what Tom Brady has to say
    Posted by rusco[/QUOTE]

Got to believe that Brady was consulted about moving Moss, before it happened. Don't you wonder why Moss didn't catch a pass against Miami? Play calls went away from him, and Brady didn't seem to be going to him on pass plays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Part of the reason for Moss being shipped off was to send a "message" to his team. Apparently, the message is being repeated...this time to kicker Stephen Gostkowski: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/07/pats-check-out-a-couple-of-kickers/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

Yup, a third rounder can be converted into a second a year later. By the time Brady turns 40, we'll have either one hell of a squad or 40 accumulated draft picks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss Trade Makes Sense : [QUOTE]   Yup, a third rounder can be converted into a second a year later. By the time Brady turns 40, we'll have either one hell of a squad or 40 accumulated draft picks.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

Come on, now. What was Moss doing for the Pats this year? We don't know what goes on internally with this team: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/Randy_Moss_Belichick_Patriots_Re_10-07-10_G2K_v2.12be927.html 

The way things were going, Moss was not likely to co-exist much longer with BB. This way, the break-up was cordial, and the Pats were able to get something for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss Trade Makes Sense :      Come on, now. What was Moss doing for the Pats this year? We don't know what goes on internally with this team: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/Randy_Moss_Belichick_Patriots_Re_10-07-10_G2K_v2.12be927.html        The way things were going, Moss was not likely to co-exist much longer with BB. This way, the break-up was cordial, and the Pats were able to get something for him.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

I'm just saying I wish we could get proven players when we give up proven players...but I understand the market isn't always there.

I hope the Pats do get better because of this trade. But I will still miss Moss. I once read Rick Reilly write that he would rather see Jose Canseco strike out swinging than watch Wade Boggs hit another single to left. It's kinda like that...Moss brings excitement.

But, yes, if we can win the SB within the next 2-3 years, I can live without the excitement.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

IMO - this does nothing to help the pats on the field this year. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]     Here are some cold, hard, football facts which support the trade: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/10/06/moss/index.html

Great analysis so seldom seen these days. I said in another thread that one of the problems with relying on a vertical passing game is that it takes longer for the play to develop and against a defense with a good fast pass rush that can spell death for the QB. In the dink and dunk the QB doesn't have the ball long enough to sacked. The threat of a long pass keeps the other team honest instead of the other way around.  And you can't argue with the writer's numbers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]IMO - this does nothing to help the pats on the field this year. 
    Posted by Indylove[/QUOTE]

As I said earlier why do you care? I mean other than being a punk by trying to stir things up. Are you worried about the Pats improving over the next couple of years while your Colts decline? Worried maybe that for all his personal records your beloved Peyton may end up retiring with one ring to Brady's 3+?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moss Trade Makes Sense : Great analysis so seldom seen these days. I said in another thread that one of the problems with relying on a vertical passing game is that it takes longer for the play to develop and against a defense with a good fast pass rush that can spell death for the QB. In the dink and dunk the QB doesn't have the ball long enough to sacked. The threat of a long pass keeps the other team honest instead of the other way around.  And you can't argue with the writer's numbers.
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

I agree and said the same thing in another thread. It takes a long time to run towards the end zone and it leaves Brady vulnerable  plus kills the o-line.

Which player will opposing defense's account for now? Who will they double? Because I believe with Brady delivering the mail, we will see WW,Edelman,AH,and Woodhead really abuse single coverage! Which can open things up for another speedster with a knack for big plays named Brandon Tate!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

[QUOTE]There's ample logic in your reasoning Tex.  But, there's no denying this leaves a gaping hole in their offense.  There's no way I can buy anybody saying this makes them stronger in 2010.  You don't remove a player like Moss without replacing him and conclude you're better off, at least from a talent perspective.  Can they adapt and still win?  Perhaps, but there will be some adjustment and absent a trade, they're going to need guys to step up big time.  It's not unlike dealing Seymour, except they got less in return.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Explain "gaping hole".

I mean, what are people looking at?  Teams focus on Moss. Sometimes he is doubled, sometimes not.

His routes are all 10 yards plus, most of them 15+ yards and more.

This takes time for a pocket to be protected and this limits the ball getting into Hernandez or Edelman's hands.

Why is it gaping, when we know how nasty Hernandez and Edelman are in the middle of thre field?

This doesn't even include Tate, Gronk or Crumpler either.

The deep running routes are the most overrated in the NFL because teams most always play a cover 2 to take it away.

Play action is the one thing that can open it up.  Or, simply hammering the ball for a little while, lulling them to sleep.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeisOffenseReturns. Show WeisOffenseReturns's posts

[QUOTE]IMO - this does nothing to help the pats on the field this year. 
    Posted by Indylove[/QUOTE]

This is why low IQ Cris Carter said the same thing.  Low IQ.

Sections
Shortcuts