moss willing to play for incentives only?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

moss willing to play for incentives only?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7616262/report-randy-moss-willing-sign-deal-guarantee-money

Randy Moss isn't returning to the NFL for the money. He just wants to play again.

Moss is willing to sign a deal that doesn't guarantee money, according to a Yahoo! Sports report that cited a source close to Moss.

Moss
    Moss

"This is not about money for him, he wants to play," the source told Yahoo! Sports. "He'll want to be paid if he makes the team, but nothing up front. He's not trying to grab a check."

Moss last played in 2010-11, but announced his intentions to return for the 2012-13 season earlier this month. According to the Yahoo! Sports report, two teams have already expressed interest in Moss.

"The question with him is all about motivation," an NFC team executive told Yahoo! Sports. "I'm not all that interested because I like our wide receivers. But if the guy is willing to come in with no guarantees, just a make-good contract, I think that would make some teams more comfortable, no question."

Moss' deal could include incentives connected to playing time, production and team performance, according to the report.

Moss' 153 touchdown receptions are tied with Terrell Owens for second on the career list. He's fifth all-time in yards and ninth in receptions. His 29 touchdowns of at least 50 yards are behind only Jerry Rice (36).

He led the NFL in touchdown receptions five times, was selected to the Pro Bowl six times and was named first team All-Pro four times. His 23 TDs in 2007 led the entire NFL and his 138 points scored that season were second only to kicker Mason Crosby.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: moss willing to play for incentives only?

lol and Babe keeps saying Moss sat out last year because he didn't get a contract he wanted. Now Moss is saying he take practically anything from anyone. For some reason if he got an offer from anyone last year imo he would have taken it and this shows he would have

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

You just can't kill the Moss threads, can you?

Oh well,  my take:  I love Moss, think he was a great contributor when he was here, a good team player, a smart and physically talented receiver, BUT . . .

He was starting to show signs of decline late in 2009 and was very inconsistent by 2010.  Yes, he still made a few spectacular plays, but he also was dropping balls, getting beat deep by corners, not winning battles in traffic, etc. He was terrible over the middle and increasingly teams (especially the Jets) were single covering him even on the sideline and deep balls--and even in single coverage they were still sometimes getting interceptions against him (can you say Cromartie?).

I think the guy had a great NFL career.  I think it's great we got to see him perform at a high level here for a few years.  But I think it's over now. If we're going to bring in old receivers, let's keep Branch and Welker and maybe consider someone like Reggie Wayne in free agency.  But honestly, I want to see more quality youth at the wideout position. There's a lot in the draft this year and there are a lot of younger free agents.  I'd put my time and effort and money there rather than trying to bring back an old guy who's career is probably over.  Roster spots are valuable.  Let's not waste them on washed-up players. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only?:
    You just can't kill the Moss threads, can you? Oh well,  my take:  I love Moss, think he was a great contributor when he was here, a good team player, a smart and physically talented receiver, BUT . . . He was starting to show signs of decline late in 2009 and was very inconsistent by 2010.  Yes, he still made a few spectacular plays, but he also was dropping balls, getting beat deep by corners, not winning battles in traffic, etc. He was terrible over the middle and increasingly teams (especially the Jets) were single covering him even on the sideline and deep balls--and even in single coverage they were still sometimes getting interceptions against him (can you say Cromartie?). I think the guy had a great NFL career.  I think it's great we got to see him perform at a high level here for a few years.  But I think it's over now. If we're going to bring in old receivers, let's keep Branch and Welker and maybe consider someone like Reggie Wayne in free agency.  But honestly, I want to see more quality youth at the wideout position. There's a lot in the draft this year and there are a lot of younger free agents.  I'd put my time and effort and money there rather than trying to bring back an old guy who's career is probably over.  Roster spots are valuable.  Let's not waste them on washed-up players. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Amen. The reason the 07 offense was so good was because of how fast it was. Randys speed isn't what it once was. His hands are still something to be in awe about but hes a one trick pony at this stage and our offense really as much as we might need a deep threat we don't need an aged one thats about to call it a day. 

If he REALLY wants back on that bad and no one bites I wouldn't mind signing him seeing how it turns out but letting him know there are younger players who are less experienced who are going to get far and away more reps than he (Randy) will. Also at that rate you consider releasing Deion which he has proven to be a more ol reliable for Brady. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

A 4.3 40? REALLY? For some reason I have to question that.

That being said, this makes him a more intriguing option. He seems to have gotten past the "I want to get paid" standpoint. He would also have to be ok with splitting time with a rookie, especially later in the season to help groom the young guy along. It would also help keep Moss fresh.

Overall, I would rather they sit tight on him for now, but if they don't get the guy they want in the draft or FA, grab him up on the condition that if he opens his mouth just once like in 2010, he's gone. Period.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You just can't kill the Moss threads, can you? Oh well,  my take:  I love Moss, think he was a great contributor when he was here, a good team player, a smart and physically talented receiver, BUT . . . He was starting to show signs of decline late in 2009 and was very inconsistent by 2010.  Yes, he still made a few spectacular plays, but he also was dropping balls, getting beat deep by corners, not winning battles in traffic, etc. He was terrible over the middle and increasingly teams (especially the Jets) were single covering him even on the sideline and deep balls--and even in single coverage they were still sometimes getting interceptions against him (can you say Cromartie?). I think the guy had a great NFL career.  I think it's great we got to see him perform at a high level here for a few years.  But I think it's over now. If we're going to bring in old receivers, let's keep Branch and Welker and maybe consider someone like Reggie Wayne in free agency.  But honestly, I want to see more quality youth at the wideout position. There's a lot in the draft this year and there are a lot of younger free agents.  I'd put my time and effort and money there rather than trying to bring back an old guy who's career is probably over.  Roster spots are valuable.  Let's not waste them on washed-up players. 

These are the same things they said about him when he came from the Raiders.

If he and Carter say he still runs a 4.35 I believe them. A motivated Randy will still burn people badly in this league.

There is no BUT. It would be a fool's choice not to sign a motivated Moss who loves this team for low money and incentives for a year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

lol and Babe keeps saying Moss sat out last year because he didn't get a contract he wanted. Now Moss is saying he take practically anything from anyone. For some reason if he got an offer from anyone last year imo he would have taken it and this shows he would have
    Posted by PatsEng

lol and you can't grasp that what he is doing this year has nothing to do with last year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

A 4.3 40? REALLY? For some reason I have to question that. That being said, this makes him a more intriguing option. He seems to have gotten past the "I want to get paid" standpoint. He would also have to be ok with splitting time with a rookie, especially later in the season to help groom the young guy along. It would also help keep Moss fresh. Overall, I would rather they sit tight on him for now, but if they don't get the guy they want in the draft or FA, grab him up on the condition that if he opens his mouth just once like in 2010, he's gone. Period.
    Posted by FishTaco64

Randy says it, so I wouldn't question it.

What FA will we get? What WR will we draft? BB's history with WRs is dismal other than trading for Moss and Welker.

This is a no brainer signing. Moss for cheap with solemn promises to behave and some incentives is a deal only a fool would pass up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

either he is a really desperate or he really thinks he can earn all his money through incentives....maybe a little bit of both

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

either he is a really desperate or he really thinks he can earn all his money through incentives....maybe a little bit of both
    Posted by redsoxfan94

Or maybe he just misses the game, wants a ring, wants to play for the team he loves and realizes he will have many many years that he can't play but maybe only one or two that he can.

Maybe Tiki called him and said, "Hey, don't be stupid like me".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Well said prolate...well said.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I mean, if the guy could really still make plays, someone would have called him and signed him.

I love the guy and think he's genuinely a good person who helps a lot of people and who WAS one heck of a football player.  I'll always appreciate what he did for the Patriots and I enjoyed watching him.  But I really think that ship has sailed for him as a player.

If he's as smart as everyone says he is...he'd do well to try and get in on the coaching track.  I'm sure he's got a lot of knowledge and with a good football IQ, I'm sure BB would give him a coaching internship.  Who knows if he even wants to do that...but I don't think that he couldn't do it if he wanted to.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Another Randy Moss thread??  Holy hell.  Just like herpes, it keeps coming back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

^^^^ snicker ^^^^

it won't be the last I'm sure...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

No thanks

Incentive laden with Moss bad, talk about setting your team up for disaster. I can see it now Moss gets X million more for x number of receiving TD's. McD and Brady mostly use him as a decoy in some games like before they traded him. Brady stays disciplined and throws to the open receiver only and spreads it around. That will go over like a lead balloon with Moss in very short time. We've already witnessed it. He'll start whining, he can't help himself. He wasn't getting his touches in a contract year. ...and people think he won't worry about his touches for an incentive laden contract? Bwwahahahaha

What's the saying? An animal can't change it's stripes or spots?

Moss might be a known commodity in the Pats system. I say might cause it's been 2 seasons. BUT he's unfortunately a known commodity off the field and in the wrong ways as well.

Moss also made Brady a poorer decision maker. 2007 was such a lucky year for the Brady Moss connection. They connected on so many very low percentage throws into double and triple coverage and as the season went on it worked less and less and then in 2009 was even worse. 2010 continued the downward spiral so much so that Brady came out and admitted forcing the ball into bad situations in a press conference or radio show interview(don't remember which). Talking about just taking what the D gives him, finding the open man, and spreading it around.

Just say no...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to moss willing to play for incentives only?:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7616262/report-randy-moss-willing-sign-deal-guarantee-money Randy Moss isn't returning to the NFL for the money. He just wants to play again. Moss is willing to sign a deal that doesn't guarantee money, according to a Yahoo! Sports report that cited a source close to Moss. Moss "This is not about money for him, he wants to play," the source told Yahoo! Sports. "He'll want to be paid if he makes the team, but nothing up front. He's not trying to grab a check." Moss last played in 2010-11, but announced his intentions to return for the 2012-13 season earlier this month. According to the Yahoo! Sports report, two teams have already expressed interest in Moss. "The question with him is all about motivation," an NFC team executive told Yahoo! Sports. "I'm not all that interested because I like our wide receivers. But if the guy is willing to come in with no guarantees, just a make-good contract, I think that would make some teams more comfortable, no question." Moss' deal could include incentives connected to playing time, production and team performance, according to the report. Moss' 153 touchdown receptions are tied with Terrell Owens for second on the career list. He's fifth all-time in yards and ninth in receptions. His 29 touchdowns of at least 50 yards are behind only Jerry Rice (36). He led the NFL in touchdown receptions five times, was selected to the Pro Bowl six times and was named first team All-Pro four times. His 23 TDs in 2007 led the entire NFL and his 138 points scored that season were second only to kicker Mason Crosby .
    Posted by natesubs

What difference does it make it Moss is willing to play for $10mil. or $10 dollars?? He's 35 years old! The Pats tried counting on him when he was 33, and that didn't work. 

No more relics and/or retreads!! The Pats need to add some younger talent at the position.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Or maybe he just misses the game, wants a ring, wants to play for the team he loves and realizes he will have many many years that he can't play but maybe only one or two that he can. Maybe Tiki called him and said, "Hey, don't be stupid like me".
    Posted by BabeParilli

Maybe he should have thought about that before he threw a fit in the N.E locker room. He betrayed his teammates and the coaching staff. Now he misses them, and wants to come back to the Promised land....go figure.

Save the response dude, it will be redundant. That much we know.

No mas Moss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : These are the same things they said about him when he came from the Raiders. If he and Carter say he still runs a 4.35 I believe them. A motivated Randy will still burn people badly in this league. There is no BUT. It would be a fool's choice not to sign a motivated Moss who loves this team for low money and incentives for a year.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Maybe Babe, but he was dropping a lot of balls and not beating defenders in 2010, and I'm just not sure he's still got it in him.  He was a lot younger when he left the Raiders after 2006.  Six years is a career for many football players.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Maybe he should have thought about that before he threw a fit in the N.E locker room. He betrayed his teammates and the coaching staff. Now he misses them, and wants to come back to the Promised land....go figure. Save the response dude, it will be redundant. That much we know. No mas Moss.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Coming from someone who is endlessly repeating the tired cliche about running the ball this is pretty comical.

I don't see anybody complaining about Mankin's saying Kraft has no honor. All I see is him getting rewarded with a fat contract for his viscous slander.  I think anything Moss ever did as a Pat pales in comparison to that very public display of vitriol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Maybe Babe, but he was dropping a lot of balls and not beating defenders in 2010, and I'm just not sure he's still got it in him.  He was a lot younger when he left the Raiders after 2006.  Six years is a career for many football players.  

In 2010 he was in a mode. He did manage to have 3 TDs in 3 starts with us, and his time in MN and TN wasn't apt to produce much considering his frame of mind and the circumstances.

Moss is a freak. I doubt very much that even if his skills have diminished a bit that he isn't better than most WRs around.

Despite that many here think they know, we don't know what went down exactly when he was traded. It might have not been as conflicted as some people assume.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

No, get Meachem. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

For incentives only?  Does that mean he'll want the ball to hit his contract incentives?  I have said before that if Moss can come here and subjugate his need to be the #1 offensive option then he's worth the risk, especially if he has no leverage contract-wise.  Please anyone tell me that this team wouldn't have been better off with Moss than Chad Johnson last year?  At least Moss knows the offense cold and can play in the 2 minute/hurry up, unlike CJ.    

I don't think it happens, but I think the chances are better now that OB is gone to Happy Valley.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Randy says it, so I wouldn't question it. What FA will we get? What WR will we draft? BB's history with WRs is dismal other than trading for Moss and Welker. This is a no brainer signing. Moss for cheap with solemn promises to behave and some incentives is a deal only a fool would pass up.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Agree with you.  The Patriots aren't really risking much by giving Randy another chance.  Was listening to the radio when I was out on Sunday and Jermaine Wiggins believes that Moss would be a great addition to the Patriots. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

give him a chance........how many of you REALLY THINK that BB is going to fork over alot of money to a young talented WR? Even if we didn't pick up Moss, BB is only going to pick up someone low risk -high reward. If we aren't going all in on a young WR then I say take a chance with him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Posted by TFB12

Oh, YEAH!

Sections
Shortcuts