moss willing to play for incentives only?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: moss willing to play for incentives only?

In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only?:
    [QUOTE]You guys are nuts... SIGN MOSS NOW.  You have one of the greatest receivers of all time telling you he wants to be a patriot, and he is willing to do it for NO RISK TO YOU.  Your insane if you let him get away.  Someone already said it, but a motivated Randy Moss is a scary thing. No production from the Viks or the Titans, because they suck!
    Posted by Ender587[/QUOTE]

Yes a motivated Moss is a scary thing. In 2010 he was motivated to get a new contract and it helped destroy a locker room because he wasn't getting his reps. Now he gets an incentive based contract on performance and you don't think he'd complain about playing an Ocho type of role?

Just because he WAS one of the greatest WR of all time doesn't mean his is any longer. That's exactly what the Cards said about E Smith and what the Vik's and Jets said about B Farve and what we said about Ocho and F Taylor. Past production doesn't ensure future success. Esp when it involves a 35yr old WR who's lost a step and hasn't played a single game or even participated in a practice for what will be over 1.5yrs

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Wozzy 12 years ago in HS I ran a 10.6 100m. Last Sept I ran a 11.1 100m and I'm not nearly in the same shape I use to be. 
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Are you really comparing us to a professional athlete, that's your argument?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? :I seriously hope you are not suggesting adding Moss will bring toughness to the Patriots that they are somehow lacking? Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Read it again, what I suggested was that even if we signed the greatest WR available, if we continue to ignore the running game than it will all be for naught. 

Age doesn't diminish speed and athleticism, injury does, and Moss has never had a major injury.  In fact one might say that Randy Moss's "selfish" behavior in Oakland added years to his career because it may have helped him avoid a debilitating injury likely to occur playing with scrubs...

I don't like the guy, I've called him "the waterboy" in the past to describe his intellectual prowess and what he does on the football field, but to say he is washed up just because he is dislikeable doesn't make it so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : When exactly or how long ago was Moss's good years? 2009 Playoffs vs Ravens Player          Rec     Yds      Avg        TD      Lng     Tgts R. Moss         5        48        9.6        0        19       7 J. Edelman     6        44        7.3        2        24       8 Hmmm let's see. Moss let a Rookie backup slot receiver playing in his first playoff game in the NFL, in his first ever season playing WR period(QB in college), forced into the starting lineup due to injury, best him in performance for the game. Not exactly the kind of argument you want to bring when you are looking for convincing reasons why the Patriots should bring him back. Not sure that was your point of the post or not but if it was, just sayin'. Heck just the fact you chose to compare Moss to Edelman I think says more about Moss in present day times than it does about Edelman.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Hey Low-FB-IQ---just to clarify where I stand on this issue, here's what I posted on page one of this thread:

He was starting to show signs of decline late in 2009 and was very inconsistent by 2010.  Yes, he still made a few spectacular plays, but he also was dropping balls, getting beat deep by corners, not winning battles in traffic, etc. He was terrible over the middle and increasingly teams (especially the Jets) were single covering him even on the sideline and deep balls--and even in single coverage they were still sometimes getting interceptions against him (can you say Cromartie?).

My opinion is that Moss is past his prime and probably would not help the team now.  However, if he were to come back and prove me wrong, I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong.  I do think Moss had a lot of talent still in 2007 and 2008 and, if he could play at that level, would help the team a lot.  I just thought he really started to decline in 2009 and was not very good in 2010 (despite the catch against Revis in the Meadowlands). 

As far as Brady throwing to him when he wasn't open, I think Brady did that and Moss won most of the battles early on, but by 2010, Moss was losing the battles.  I sometimes wonder, however, if Brady's early success with Moss even when Moss was covered made Brady less hesiitant to throw to any covered receiver--hence mistakes like the throw to Edelman in the Ravens game.  (I saw that from the stands and haven't seen a reply, but my recollection is that Edelman was single covered--but covered tightly--and Brady forced the ball hoping Edelman could beat the defender.  But Edelman is not Randy Moss in Moss's prime.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Yes a motivated Moss is a scary thing. In 2010 he was motivated to get a new contract and it helped destroy a locker room because he wasn't getting his reps. Now he gets an incentive based contract on performance and you don't think he'd complain about playing an Ocho type of role? Just because he WAS one of the greatest WR of all time doesn't mean his is any longer. That's exactly what the Cards said about E Smith and what the Vik's and Jets said about B Farve and what we said about Ocho and F Taylor. Past production doesn't ensure future success. Esp when it involves a 35yr old WR who's lost a step and hasn't played a single game or even participated in a practice for what will be over 1.5yrs
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

What you're failing to grasp is that the contract would allow for his quick dismissal with little or no loss to the team.

Give the guy a fargin break. When he left he not only did not utter one negative word about the Pats but praised the whole organization profusely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Hey Low-FB-IQ---just to clarify where I stand on this issue, here's what I posted on page one of this thread: He was starting to show signs of decline late in 2009 and was very inconsistent by 2010.  Yes, he still made a few spectacular plays, but he also was dropping balls, getting beat deep by corners, not winning battles in traffic, etc. He was terrible over the middle and increasingly teams (especially the Jets) were single covering him even on the sideline and deep balls--and even in single coverage they were still sometimes getting interceptions against him (can you say Cromartie?). My opinion is that Moss is past his prime and probably would not help the team now.  However, if he were to come back and prove me wrong, I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong.  I do think Moss had a lot of talent still in 2007 and 2008 and, if he could play at that level, would help the team a lot.  I just thought he really started to decline in 2009 and was not very good in 2010 (despite the catch against Revis in the Meadowlands).  As far as Brady throwing to him when he wasn't open, I think Brady did that and Moss won most of the battles early on, but by 2010, Moss was losing the battles.  I sometimes wonder, however, if Brady's early success with Moss even when Moss was covered made Brady less hesiitant to throw to any covered receiver--hence mistakes like the throw to Edelman in the Ravens game.  (I saw that from the stands and haven't seen a reply, but my recollection is that Edelman was single covered--but covered tightly--and Brady forced the ball hoping Edelman could beat the defender.  But Edelman is not Randy Moss in Moss's prime.)
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Moss was impressive in 2009 despite playing hurt. I just don't see how anybody can count 2010 as a viable read on his skills. He was clearly in a mode from training camp and that is verifiable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Moss was impressive in 2009 despite playing hurt. I just don't see how anybody can count 2010 as a viable read on his skills. He was clearly in a mode from training camp and that is verifiable.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Maybe . . . like I said, I'd love to be proven wrong on this one because I like Moss.  I even like his odd, prickly personality. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Read it again, what I suggested was that even if we signed the greatest WR available, if we continue to ignore the running game than it will all be for naught.  Age doesn't diminish speed and athleticism, injury does, and Moss has never had a major injury.  In fact one might say that Randy Moss's "selfish" behavior in Oakland added years to his career because it may have helped him avoid a debilitating injury likely to occur playing with scrubs... I don't like the guy, I've called him "the waterboy" in the past to describe his intellectual prowess and what he does on the football field, but to say he is washed up just because he is dislikeable doesn't make it so.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

OK I got the wrong context from how i read it. That's why I asked if that was what you were suggesting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Please no more Moss, the guy is old, beat up and decrepit. He should retire and stop making a fool of himself like he did towards the end of 2010. The guy CAN"T elevate or do anything football like beside run a 40 with no one infront of him. It's like watching Emmit Smith during his last season when he was three steps slower than in his prime and could only run on really bad defenses if his line blew the defense off the field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Please no more Moss, the guy is old, beat up and decrepit. He should retire and stop making a fool of himself like he did towards the end of 2010. The guy CAN"T elevate or do anything football like beside run a 40 with no one infront of him. It's like watching Emmit Smith during his last season when he was three steps slower than in his prime and could only run on really bad defenses if his line blew the defense off the field.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

Did you work him out or something?

In training camp 2010 BB approached him on a contract and he did not respond. It was reported the Pats offered him a 1 year deal last season that he rejected.

It is hard to believe if he is as limited as you claim that BB would have been interested in signing him for two consecutive seasons.

So your apparent inside information is at odds with what has been reported.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: moss willing to play for incentives only? : Hey Low-FB-IQ---just to clarify where I stand on this issue, here's what I posted on page one of this thread: He was starting to show signs of decline late in 2009 and was very inconsistent by 2010.  Yes, he still made a few spectacular plays, but he also was dropping balls, getting beat deep by corners, not winning battles in traffic, etc. He was terrible over the middle and increasingly teams (especially the Jets) were single covering him even on the sideline and deep balls--and even in single coverage they were still sometimes getting interceptions against him (can you say Cromartie?). My opinion is that Moss is past his prime and probably would not help the team now.  However, if he were to come back and prove me wrong, I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong.  I do think Moss had a lot of talent still in 2007 and 2008 and, if he could play at that level, would help the team a lot.  I just thought he really started to decline in 2009 and was not very good in 2010 (despite the catch against Revis in the Meadowlands).  As far as Brady throwing to him when he wasn't open, I think Brady did that and Moss won most of the battles early on, but by 2010, Moss was losing the battles.  I sometimes wonder, however, if Brady's early success with Moss even when Moss was covered made Brady less hesiitant to throw to any covered receiver--hence mistakes like the throw to Edelman in the Ravens game.  (I saw that from the stands and haven't seen a reply, but my recollection is that Edelman was single covered--but covered tightly--and Brady forced the ball hoping Edelman could beat the defender.  But Edelman is not Randy Moss in Moss's prime.)
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

That's cool. I think I mentioned I wasn't quite sure from that one where you stood on the matter and actually didn't see that earlier post you pasted in.