Most Disappointing Patriots Loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Most Disappointing Patriots Loss

What Patriots loss left you absolutely crushed. For me there have been many but I've been around for a half century.

There were the three Super Bowl losses. There have been the yearly playoff losses since the last championship in 2005. Each one was tough to swallow but which one was the worst?

10) SUPER BOWL XX
    January 26, 1986
    New England Patriots 10 vs. Chicago Bears 46
    This one was expected. I was just happy they finally beat the Dolphins and got there.

9) January 10, 2010
    Baltimore Ravens 33 at New England Patriots 14
    Disappointing but not really unexpected.

8) January 14, 2006
    New England Patriots 13 at Denver Broncos 27
    5 turnovers did them in. Nobody's perfect.

7) January 20, 2013
    Baltimore Ravens 28 at New England Patriots 13
    I had high hopes going in but as the injuries mounted, hope turned to sadness.

6) January 21, 2007
    New England Patriots 34 at Indianapolis Colts 38
    Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

5) SUPER BOWL XXXI
    January 26, 1997
    New England Patriots 21 vs. Green Bay Packers 35
    I hate Desmond Howard.

4) January 16, 2011
    New York Jets 28 at New England Patriots 21
    Ouch! That one hurt.

3) SUPER BOWL XLVI
    February 5, 2012
    New York Giants 21 vs. New England Patriots 17
    I hate the Giants.

2) December 18, 1976
    New England Patriots 21 at Oakland Raiders 24
    This was the season I got hooked. This was the first season I watched every game. Losing that game the way they did was shocking.

1) SUPER BOWL XLII
    February 3, 2008
    New York Giants 17 vs. New England Patriots 14
    Obviously number one most disappointing and it isn't close.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Re: Most Disappointing Patriots Loss

In response to digger0862's comment:

What Patriots loss left you absolutely crushed. For me there have been many but I've been around for a half century.

There were the three Super Bowl losses. There have been the yearly playoff losses since the last championship in 2005. Each one was tough to swallow but which one was the worst?

10) SUPER BOWL XX
    January 26, 1986
    This one was expected. I was just happy they finally beat the Dolphins and got there.

9) January 10, 2010

8) January 14, 2006

7) January 20, 2013

6) January 21, 2007
    Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

5) SUPER BOWL XXXI
    January 26, 1997
    I hate Desmond Howard.

4) January 16, 2011
    Ouch! That one hurt.

3) SUPER BOWL XLVI
    February 5, 2012
    I hate the Giants.

2) December 18, 1976
    This was the season I got hooked. This was the first season I watched every game. Losing that game the way they did was shocking.

1) SUPER BOWL XLII
    February 3, 2008

Number 2 I remember well, Does Ben Dreith ring a bell. Number 1 has to be the biggest stopping the Pats from a perfect season. Can't forget that ridiculous Tyree catch, 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Well #2 I never got to experance... but #5 was the first game I had really high hopes for being a senior in highschool.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

#8... I honestly thought they were good enough to win the 3rd SB in a row. That was the most frustrated I have ever been watching a game. I guess for me as a fan it was just a major dissapointment.

#2... I don't feel guilty at all about the tuck rule after having witnessed them get screwed by argueably one of the worse calls ever.

#1... If I have to acknoweledge that thing that happened out west I guess it has to go on the list.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

The Denver loss occupies my #2 spot.  Much like #1 prevented the perfect season, #2 was the first crack in the almost mythical Brady postseason aura.  And Bailey ABSOLUTELY fumbled through the endzone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

10) SUPER BOWL XX
    January 26, 1986

9) January 10, 2010

8) January 14, 2006

7) January 20, 2013

6) January 21, 2007
    Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

5) SUPER BOWL XXXI
    January 26, 1997
    I hate Desmond Howard.

4) January 16, 2011
    Ouch! That one hurt.

3) SUPER BOWL XLVI
    February 5, 2012
    I hate the Giants.

2) December 18, 1976

1) SUPER BOWL XLII
    February 3, 2008

# 1, One of the few nights I didn't sleep all night

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Good call on #8. I threw the list together rather quickly.
    In retrospect, I'd put it 4th or 5th.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Every loss sucks but the 06 AFC championship loss to the Colts has to be #1 for me.  20+ point halftime lead and Super Bowl trophy four squandered.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

#8... I honestly thought they were good enough to win the 3rd SB in a row. That was the most frustrated I have ever been watching a game. I guess for me as a fan it was just a major dissapointment.

I went to this game in Denver with 2 guys from work and my wifes brother. We had a great time, but it was very dissapointing. Made for a very long trip home. We had to fly from Denver west to Salt Lake City, and then had a 5 hour non-stop back to Boston, just miserable... On the plus side, it was the start of a new tradition, I have gone to at least one away game every year since. Have now been to Denver, NY for the Jets, Indy, Miami 3 times, Pittsburgh and New Orleans. we are going to Atlanta this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

I think the Super Bowl 46 loss has to be high on the list... that season seemed like destiny, with all the Myra stuff going on. That one really bummed me out... my hopes were high... probably too high. Just seemed like the perfect storm, and in the end it didn't work out.

Let's go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think the Super Bowl 46 loss has to be high on the list... that season seemed like destiny, with all the Myra stuff going on. That one really bummed me out... my hopes were high... probably too high. Just seemed like the perfect storm, and in the end it didn't work out.

Let's go Pats!

It's the worst for me.  They had taken the game over. The D nailed it down in the 2nd half and set it up for us to take it.

Our best players let us down, unfortunately. 

Many say SB 42, which makes sense, but I can't ignore the Giants great effort on D and gameplan and our lack of execution or sense of urgency, with the helmet catch just something that can't be explained. It's the luckiest play I've ever seen in sports in my life and probably always will be, but that's why people love the SB. It's one game. It's not a series.

It's when they kind of hand games away or underperform from their capability with their own doing, that's when you feel like they blew it.

[/QUOTE]

Ya bozo, the D nailed it down in the second half by allowing scores on 3 of 4 drives with a 9 point lead. They allowed SCORES ON 75% of the drives including the fatal blow with 35 seconds left,  and that's nailing it down?

Not one turn over, not one 3 & out, not one stop in jints territory, a 75% ELI FREAKEN MANNING 75% completion, were on the field for 2/3rds of the game.

That's what you call nailing it down?

The only thing they nailed down were the nails in their own coffins.

Worst passing D , worst DPR , of any team to ever play in a SB.  FACT

do do do do do do do do....What planet do you live on?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

I went to this game in Denver with 2 guys from work and my wifes brother. We had a great time, but it was very dissapointing. Made for a very long trip home. We had to fly from Denver west to Salt Lake City, and then had a 5 hour non-stop back to Boston, just miserable... On the plus side, it was the start of a new tradition, I have gone to at least one away game every year since. Have now been to Denver, NY for the Jets, Indy, Miami 3 times, Pittsburgh and New Orleans. we are going to Atlanta this year.

That sounds like a lot of fun, I know a few people that do that and they love it. The game you mentioned was a terrible game...we were rolling and then Brady threw that pick (was it right during that photo?). Terrible game. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I think the loss to the Giants killing our perfect season was by far one of the biggest sports let downs in my entire life. I usually don't let sports get to me that much, after all it's just a game. But that one still hurts....and will until I go 6 feet under....

What helps ease the pain of big losses is that we are quite spoiled in Boston for sports championships. We are usually in the hunt almost every year in at least 1 major sport. Not too many cities can claim that...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the loss to the Giants killing our perfect season was by far one of the biggest sports let downs in my entire life. I usually don't let sports get to me that much, after all it's just a game. But that one still hurts....and will until I go 6 feet under....

What helps ease the pain of big losses is that we are quite spoiled in Boston for sports championships. We are usually in the hunt almost every year in at least 1 major sport. Not too many cities can claim that...

+1 We were so close...I'll never forget that.

[/QUOTE]

Another tough one. The company I work for has offices in Boston and New York. I haven't been able to live down either of those SuperBowl losses...

But it will make this years win all that much sweeter!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

10) SUPER BOWL XX:   Agree, Bears had that smothering defense
    January 26, 1986

9) January 10, 2010: Very disappointing home loss

8) January 14, 2006 : Hard to win at  Mile high

7) January 20, 2013: No second half offense at all

6) January 21, 2007 : Defense gave out in second half
    Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

5) SUPER BOWL XXXI
    January 26, 1997 : tuna guaranteeing to win HAHA
    I hate Desmond Howard.

4) January 16, 2011: Terrible loss to substandard QB
    Ouch! That one hurt.

3) SUPER BOWL XLVI: A Wes Welker drop that could've sealed it
    February 5, 2012
    I hate the Giants.

2) December 18, 1976: Ben Dreith's screwed up call

1) SUPER BOWL XLII: A David Tyree catch and not sacking Manning on that play
    February 3, 2008

All disappointing but none the less the Patriots are always in the hunt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Its a no brainer for me, the SB 42 loss was just torture. It still haunts me to this day! The only other loss I would put anywhere near that is Game 7 of the 03 ALCS. That one was a big time heart breaker (some of the older folks may be scoffing at this one but I was luckily not old enough to have seen the Buckner game). I couldn't stomach the sight of Joe tool Buck standing and clapping with Brett Boone as Aaron rounded the bases. Ugh.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotsfan96. Show patriotsfan96's posts

Some bad calls both playoffs game we lost in 05 and 06:

Against Denver:

1. Phantom pi against Asante, giving the Broncos 1&goal on our 1.

2. Champ B touch back - giving the Broncos 1&goal on our 1.

Against Indi:

1. Anyone remember Troy Brown phantom pi? It was 21-3 in our favourite, deep into indi territory. that 10 yard penalty took away a sure field goal. 

2. That F* phanton pi against Ellis Hobbes, which gave indi 1&goal on our 1.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

I was luckily not old enough to have seen the Buckner game). I couldn't stomach the sight of Joe tool Buck standing and clapping with Brett Boone as Aaron rounded the bases. Ugh.

I was in college watching with a room full of people...and it definitely was painful.....but SB42 will hurt forever....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

I was luckily not old enough to have seen the Buckner game). I couldn't stomach the sight of Joe tool Buck standing and clapping with Brett Boone as Aaron rounded the bases. Ugh.

I was in college watching with a room full of people...and it definitely was painful.....but SB42 will hurt forever....

Wow, you're pretty old.  hehe

I was too young to realize the devastation of that.  I did watch Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS on You Tube recently. That was still one of the most underrated shocking comebacks and wins of any playoff game in baseball history, IMO.

Two two run homers on the road in the 9th, down 3-1 in the series?  That's just unheard of in  playoff situation.

Careful....pretty sure we're only about 10 yrs apart... Surprised

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Super Bowl 42 is easily at the top of the list for me.  I of course always want the Pats to win, but that year I think I wanted them to win more than I've ever wanted any sports victory in my life.  After hearing all year about Spygate I don't think there could have been a more perfect F uck you to all the haters than a perfect season.  I remember watching that game.  I was in college at the time and literally every single other person in this game room where I was watching was rooting for the Giants (must have been practically 100 people).  Most of them weren't actually Giants fans, but rather just wanted the Pats to lose.  I remember before and during the game people talking smack about the Patriots and cheering for the Giants and I didn't say a single f'ing word the entire game.  Since I wasn't wearing any paraphenalia I was completely incognito.  Then Moss scored that TD and the entire room went quiet and I stood up and revealed my Patriot fandom by going f'ing ballistic.  The looks I got were just priceless, but I didn't care because I felt so freaking triumphant.  Then of course the rest of the game happened and I didn't sleep for a week.  That really was the only sports loss that I really let get to me.  Spygate would have died that day.  Sure there would always be some fringe idiots who would complain, but it wouldn't matter because I'd be able to point to a 19-0 season and laugh at them until the end of time.  Sadly it wasn't meant to be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

More like 12 probably.  You're still old.  haha

older....wiser....and much better looking!! Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Its a no brainer for me, the SB 42 loss was just torture. It still haunts me to this day! The only other loss I would put anywhere near that is Game 7 of the 03 ALCS. That one was a big time heart breaker (some of the older folks may be scoffing at this one but I was luckily not old enough to have seen the Buckner game). I couldn't stomach the sight of Joe tool Buck standing and clapping with Brett Boone as Aaron rounded the bases. Ugh.

I remember the Buckner play, I remember the Mets were down to their last strike. The graphic on TV showed how the Sox hadn't won a WS at the time since 1918. Even though the Sox lost game 7 in 03 it was payback in 04.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Pretty sure it's still not safe for Buckner to walk around anywhere in New England!! LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Older, maybe wiser, but probably not better looking. I am an adonis for chrissakes. lol

I told you to get rid of that mirror from the carnival!! LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to dreighver's comment:

Let's go Pats!

It's the worst for me.  They had taken the game over. The D nailed it down in the 2nd half and set it up for us to take it.

Our best players let us down, unfortunately. 

Many say SB 42, which makes sense, but I can't ignore the Giants great effort on D and gameplan and our lack of execution or sense of urgency, with the helmet catch just something that can't be explained. It's the luckiest play I've ever seen in sports in my life and probably always will be, but that's why people love the SB. It's one game. It's not a series.

It's when they kind of hand games away or underperform from their capability with their own doing, that's when you feel like they blew it.

Ya bozo, the D nailed it down in the second half by allowing scores on 3 of 4 drives with a 9 point lead. They allowed SCORES ON 75% of the drives including the fatal blow with 35 seconds left,  and that's nailing it down?

Not one turn over, not one 3 & out, not one stop in jints territory, a 75% ELI FREAKEN MANNING 75% completion, were on the field for 2/3rds of the game.

That's what you call nailing it down?

The only thing they nailed down were the nails in their own coffins.

Worst passing D , worst DPR , of any team to ever play in a SB.  FACT

do do do do do do do do....What planet do you live on?

Two FGs in one half, waiting for 4 drives for our offense to do anything, is absolutely handing the keys over after a job VERY well done, and watching the offenese do anything for the team.

They didn't.

Don't try to change history. You can't do it.  After the Brady/offense choke job (you clearly have NO friends who aren't Pats fans), where non Pats fans revel in his choking to this day in SB 42, Brady had a chance to slay the dragon in that 4th qtr.  He was staring down the barrel of another SB ring and flat out failed in execution on two key plays (INT on 1st down for no reason other than he did not want to run and slide or be tackled or throw it away AND the high, lazy throw off his back foot to Welker who was wide open).

He will took those decisions/plays to his grave.

Yes, NE's D allowing 7 points in one half, and then 2 FGs in the other, with our supposed GREAT offense playing like crap, is something you want to see as a Pats fan to help us finish the game?  Everyone in the room was thrilled the D had allowed 13 points through the whole game and kept yelling at the offense to not turn it over and just try to get a FG at mnimum. On the last 3 drives of the 4th, even after the INT he therw so stupidly, this is what everyone was yelling at the tv with there.

Why does everyone in a room watching a game know what to do more than Brady does?  Just get a drive to the Giants 30! It's a dome!  You have a big leg kicker! 

"Do not turn it over, at least get a FG!" That was AFTER he threw the INT in early in the 4th on 1st down. To this day, I have no idea who kidnapped Brady on the field and put Tony Romo or Jay Cutler on our team at QB. I have no idea who kidnapped Brady. Do you?

Our offense can't take just take a nap for the whole 4th qtr in close games like that.  This is not debtable. Excusing the offensive work in either SB is a joke.

[/QUOTE]

You are obviously the one trying to re-write history as you conveniently leave out the last "6" in all your conversations.

3 scores out of 4 drives is the reality.  1 punt in our territory is the reality.  A 2 score lead squandered by the 3 scores out of 4 drives allowed, is the reality ( FG's are considered scores).   A two score lead is NEVER enough with this D, is reality.  Allowing Eli a better pass % than Joe Montana , is reality.  26, 1st downs allowed in 8 possessions, is reality.

Allowing an average of 9 plays (mostly 10) per possession, is reality.

An 8 possession game ( causing a low score) due to the D's inability to get off the field, is reality.

No T/O's, no 3 & outs and no stops in enemy territory. is the reality. 

Worst Defensive passer rating of any team to play in a SB, is reality.

That's a whole lot of NOTHINGS!

What is the"JOB" of a defense, again?  Do you even know?

FAIL!

Sections
Shortcuts