Most Disappointing Patriots Loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

Re: Most Disappointing Patriots Loss

Titans Pats game where they averaged like 11 yards per carry against us.  So much hate is left in me for that.  i mean every carry was a first down it felt like.
    The year after that BB put an end to not being able to stop the run.  thank you Vince Wilfork

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

What Patriots loss left you absolutely crushed. For me there have been many but I've been around for a half century.

There were the three Super Bowl losses. There have been the yearly playoff losses since the last championship in 2005. Each one was tough to swallow but which one was the worst?

10) SUPER BOWL XX
    January 26, 1986
    New England Patriots 10 vs. Chicago Bears 46
    This one was expected. I was just happy they finally beat the Dolphins and got there.

9) January 10, 2010
    Baltimore Ravens 33 at New England Patriots 14
    Disappointing but not really unexpected.

8) January 14, 2006
    New England Patriots 13 at Denver Broncos 27
    5 turnovers did them in. Nobody's perfect.

7) January 20, 2013
    Baltimore Ravens 28 at New England Patriots 13
    I had high hopes going in but as the injuries mounted, hope turned to sadness.

6) January 21, 2007
    New England Patriots 34 at Indianapolis Colts 38
    Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

5) SUPER BOWL XXXI
    January 26, 1997
    New England Patriots 21 vs. Green Bay Packers 35
    I hate Desmond Howard.

4) January 16, 2011
    New York Jets 28 at New England Patriots 21
    Ouch! That one hurt.

3) SUPER BOWL XLVI
    February 5, 2012
    New York Giants 21 vs. New England Patriots 17
    I hate the Giants.

2) December 18, 1976
    New England Patriots 21 at Oakland Raiders 24
    This was the season I got hooked. This was the first season I watched every game. Losing that game the way they did was shocking.

1) SUPER BOWL XLII
    February 3, 2008
    New York Giants 17 vs. New England Patriots 14
    Obviously number one most disappointing and it isn't close.

Been a fan for over 4 Decades and have witnessed many disappointing losses over this time.  But without a doubt SUPER BOWL 42 was the most crushing Pat's loss for me.  Listening to Shula and Mercury Morris bragging about being the only undefeated team was the ka ka on the cake.

Some of you have mentioned the Red Sox and I go back to 1967 with them.  The 1986 Loss to the Mets in the WS was the absolute worst for me in baseball. 

We go to NY and take the the first two games - wow!  Then we lose the next two at Fenway. 

I was very fortunate to be able to attend Game 5 and watch Bruce Hurst pitch a 4 to 2 Win against Dwight Gooden - Alright!  All we need is 1 out of the next 2.

Game 6 we are tied 3 to 3 through 9 Innings.  The Sox score 2 in the Top of the 10th.  We are almost there got down to one out left but the Gremlins came out in the Bottom of the 10th. Mets score 3 Runs and it's on to game 7.  :(

What can I say about Game 7.  By this time, long time Red Sox fans already new what was going to happen and it did.

BTW, that made what happened in 2004 that more special but it took another 18 years to do it.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

#1 was painful, would have been a truly historic moment. Perfect was simply not meant to be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

In response to russgriswold's comment:

More like 12 probably.  You're still old.  haha

older....wiser....and much better looking!! Cool

I'm pretty old too, but you can see from my picture earlier in this thread what a handsome devil I am...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Well the 08 Super Bowl and the 1976 Ben Dreith phantom call that stole that game, which was fixed, are the 2 game that will always stick in my craw.

We simply had to win the 08 SB, we HAD to.

We actually would have won the 77 SB had someone not gotten to Ben Dreith who absoulutely stole that game from the PATS.

All the others I got over em'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

Im not good at memory lol and im not looking it up.  TENN held the ball it seemed like 50 minutes out of the 60.  It was the hardest game i've watched.  sure the superbowl loss was bad.  But there is a diff between losing to a final play and getting bent over. and over. and over.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

Been a fan for over 4 Decades and have witnessed many disappointing losses over this time.  But without a doubt SUPER BOWL 42 was the most crushing Pat's loss for me.  Listening to Shula and Mercury Morris bragging about being the only undefeated team was the ka ka on the cake.

Some of you have mentioned the Red Sox and I go back to 1967 with them.  The 1986 Loss to the Mets in the WS was the absolute worst for me in baseball. 

We go to NY and take the the first two games - wow!  Then we lose the next two at Fenway. 

I was very fortunate to be able to attend Game 5 and watch Bruce Hurst pitch a 4 to 2 Win against Dwight Gooden - Alright!  All we need is 1 out of the next 2.

Game 6 we are tied 3 to 3 through 9 Innings.  The Sox score 2 in the Top of the 10th.  We are almost there got down to one out left but the Gremlins came out in the Bottom of the 10th. Mets score 3 Runs and it's on to game 7.  :(

What can I say about Game 7.  By this time, long time Red Sox fans already new what was going to happen and it did.

BTW, that made what happened in 2004 that more special but it took another 18 years to do it.  :)

My first child was born in the AM of October 25, 1986. That night, the Red Sox and Mets would play their infamous game 6. I remember sitting on the edge of my wife's hospital bed ready to jump up for joy and celebration as the Sox were one strike away from winning the World Series. It was a bittersweet day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

I think the Super Bowl 46 loss has to be high on the list... that season seemed like destiny, with all the Myra stuff going on. That one really bummed me out... my hopes were high... probably too high. Just seemed like the perfect storm, and in the end it didn't work out.

Let's go Pats!

It's the worst for me.  They had taken the game over. The D nailed it down in the 2nd half and set it up for us to take it.

Our best players let us down, unfortunately. 

Many say SB 42, which makes sense, but I can't ignore the Giants great effort on D and gameplan and our lack of execution or sense of urgency, with the helmet catch just something that can't be explained. It's the luckiest play I've ever seen in sports in my life and probably always will be, but that's why people love the SB. It's one game. It's not a series.

It's when they kind of hand games away or underperform from their capability with their own doing, that's when you feel like they blew it.

Ya bozo, the D nailed it down in the second half by allowing scores on 3 of 4 drives with a 9 point lead. They allowed SCORES ON 75% of the drives including the fatal blow with 35 seconds left,  and that's nailing it down?

Not one turn over, not one 3 & out, not one stop in jints territory, a 75% ELI FREAKEN MANNING 75% completion, were on the field for 2/3rds of the game.

That's what you call nailing it down?

The only thing they nailed down were the nails in their own coffins.

Worst passing D , worst DPR , of any team to ever play in a SB.  FACT

do do do do do do do do....What planet do you live on?

Two FGs in one half, waiting for 4 drives for our offense to do anything, is absolutely handing the keys over after a job VERY well done, and watching the offenese do anything for the team.

They didn't.

Don't try to change history. You can't do it.  After the Brady/offense choke job (you clearly have NO friends who aren't Pats fans), where non Pats fans revel in his choking to this day in SB 42, Brady had a chance to slay the dragon in that 4th qtr.  He was staring down the barrel of another SB ring and flat out failed in execution on two key plays (INT on 1st down for no reason other than he did not want to run and slide or be tackled or throw it away AND the high, lazy throw off his back foot to Welker who was wide open).

He will took those decisions/plays to his grave.

Yes, NE's D allowing 7 points in one half, and then 2 FGs in the other, with our supposed GREAT offense playing like crap, is something you want to see as a Pats fan to help us finish the game?  Everyone in the room was thrilled the D had allowed 13 points through the whole game and kept yelling at the offense to not turn it over and just try to get a FG at mnimum. On the last 3 drives of the 4th, even after the INT he therw so stupidly, this is what everyone was yelling at the tv with there.

Why does everyone in a room watching a game know what to do more than Brady does?  Just get a drive to the Giants 30! It's a dome!  You have a big leg kicker! 

"Do not turn it over, at least get a FG!" That was AFTER he threw the INT in early in the 4th on 1st down. To this day, I have no idea who kidnapped Brady on the field and put Tony Romo or Jay Cutler on our team at QB. I have no idea who kidnapped Brady. Do you?

Our offense can't take just take a nap for the whole 4th qtr in close games like that.  This is not debtable. Excusing the offensive work in either SB is a joke.

You are obviously the one trying to re-write history as you conveniently leave out the last "6" in all your conversations.

3 scores out of 4 drives is the reality.  1 punt in our territory is the reality.  A 2 score lead squandered by the 3 scores out of 4 drives allowed, is the reality ( FG's are considered scores).   A two score lead is NEVER enough with this D, is reality.  Allowing Eli a better pass % than Joe Montana , is reality.  26, 1st downs allowed in 8 possessions, is reality.

Allowing an average of 9 plays (mostly 10) per possession, is reality.

An 8 possession game ( causing a low score) due to the D's inability to get off the field, is reality.

No T/O's, no 3 & outs and no stops in enemy territory. is the reality. 

Worst Defensive passer rating of any team to play in a SB, is reality.

That's a whole lot of NOTHINGS!

What is the"JOB" of a defense, again?  Do you even know?

FAIL!

To keep points down, which they did. I believe it was around 20 with their average all year.  13 points is under 20 and it would have been 13 if our offense didn't under-perform from thei 30+ point average.  24 or even 20 points without a turnover would have worked.

Why does the D have to be a 10 bell D at the end of games when they were good or very good for the other 57 minutes?

What did our offense do prior to crapping the bed in the 4th?  Not much.  They had only two strong drives the entire game, which clearly is pathetic for an all word offense like that.  One into half, one out. That's it. They sucked their thumb on every drive and Brady was a big part of that thumb sucking.

19 points, 19 points, 19 points.  repeat 19 points.

And it was only 19 points because they were on the field so dam long it eliminated 4 whole possessions.

IS your warped sense of reality inherited or learned?

And the O had more than 2 good drives.

One 98 yrd TD A SUPER BOWL RECORD

16 completions in a row.  A SUPER BOWL RECORD

A TD drive in the 3rd

6 minute drive in the 4th.

What record did the D break?  Only team to never get a 3 & OUT and the worst DPR of any SB team EVER?   Lowest Possession game in a SB history, because of pure inadequacy? CONGRATS

Sections
Shortcuts