Most Glorious Patriots' WINS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Most Glorious Patriots' WINS

The AH situation has seemingly put us all in a somber, negative mood. Let's see if we can change that. Instead of talking about the Pats' most devastating losses, let's talk about their greatest victories! Here's my top 10:

1.) SB 36: Patriots 20, Rams 17: The so-called "Greatest Show on Turf" got the turf slammed down their throats by a physical, opportunistic Patriots' defense. The Patriots, 14 point underdogs, stunned the football world, as QB Tom Brady was introduced to the Nation.

The Rams had fought back from a 14 point deficit to tie New England, 17-17, with 1:21 remaining. The Patriots took over at their own 17 yard line. I can remember sports commentator John Madden saying in a somber voice that, with no time outs and such relatively poor field position, that the Patriots should run out the clock, and play for OT.

But, Tom Brady said nay! Following the advice of Drew Bledsoe to "just sling it", he led the Pats into Adam Vinatieri FG range. He initially picked up a first down with an innocent 8-yard dump to J.R. Redmond for a first down. He then hooked up with Redmond again two plays later for an 11-yard reception and another first down at the New England 41.  Time was now the Patriots' biggest opponent. Brady threw incomplete, then connected with Troy Brown over the middle, and Brown managed to turn up field and get out of bounds at the St. Louis 36 for a 23-yard gain. Now, with only 21 seconds left, Brady threw a short pass in the right flat to tight end Jermaine Wiggins, who fought his way to the Rams' 30-yard line. Brady calmly spiked the ball to stop the clock with seven seconds to play.

"When Adam hit it, it was so true," Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said. "It was so high and so far"...And...so damned GOOD!!!  http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=220203017   

2.) 2001 AFC Divisional Playoff Game: Patriots 16, Raiders 13, OT: This is arguably the game that started the ball rolling for our great football franchise. In a blizzard, in the final game at the old Sullivan Stadium, a/k/a Shaeffer Stadium, the Pats settled a 25 year old score, by coming from behind to nip the Raiders in OT.

Known as the "Tuck Rule" game, the Pats got a second life, due to this obscure and little known rule...as what appeared to be an obvious Tom Brady fumble and game clinching Raider recovery, was instead ruled an incomplete pass. Other than the tuck call, the key play in the game was a miraculous, 45 yard Adam Vinatieri FG, that he knifed through the wind and the blinding snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BchXvzs8s0

The 25 year score?? When referee Ben "#@%&###@" Dreith threw a very, very late, and highly controversial flag on Sugar Bear Ray Hamilton for roughing the passer, in the closing seconds of the 1976 Pats @ Raiders Divisional playoff game, to rob the Patriots of an upset win.

3.) 2001 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 24, Steelers 17: Coming off an inspiring come from behind win over the Raiders in a blizzard, the Pats went into Pittsburgh, where the Goths were listed as a 9.5 point favorite. So confident were the Steelers, that they had already packed their bags for a SB trip to New Orleans, to face "the Greatest Show on Turf" Rams. But, for the Goths, it was not to be. Despite losing om Brady to a second quarter ankle injury, the Patriots dominated the game...which was not as close as the final score indicates: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/234348-2001-afc-championship-game-the-beginning-of-new-england-dominance

The key plays of the game were a brilliant 50 yard Troy Brown punt return, right down the middle of the field, for a TD...and a blocked Steeler FG, which was returned for a TD.

4.) 2003 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 24, Colts 14: The Patriots picked off Peyton Manning four (4) times, including three by CB Ty Law, in trouncing the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts were favored to beat the Patriots...despite the fact that this game was being played out in the cold, in Foxborough. The Pats would go on to defeat the Carolina Panthers in SB 38, while the Colts whined for rule changes, following this manhandling by the Pats: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20040118017      

5.) 2004 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 41, Steelers 27: Avenging a humiliating Haloween night loss, on national TV, to the Steelers in Pittsburgh in the regular season, the Patriots annihilated the Goths in their own frosty cold backyard. Adam Vinatieri set the pace early with a 48 yard FG. But, the key offensive play of the game was a 60 yard laser from Brady to Deion Branch...which was one of the greatest passes Tom Brady has ever thrown, throughout his illustrious career. A Rodney Harrison pick-6 pretty much but this game on ice, thereafter: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250123023    

6.) 2004 AFC Divisional Playoff Game: Patriots 20, Colts 3: Despite having their whines answered by the NFL Rules Committee, the Colts were no match for Kevin Faulk, Corey Dillon, Ted Bruschi, and the physical Patriots. Memorable plays were a clutch conversion on a 3rd and long, on a Brady to Faulk completion...which got the Patriots out of a deep field position hole. There was also a power and finesse Dillon run that all but iced the game, and Tedy Bruschi tearing the football away from Colts RB Dominic Rhodes, after Rhodes caught a short Manning pass. Full tilt...full time!!: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250116017

7.) SB 38: Patriots 32, Carolina Panthers 29: In one of the greatest SB games ever played, the Patriots outlasted the Carolina Panthers, in Houston. Adam Vinatieri's 41 yard FG with 4 seconds remaining to play gave the Pats the win. The Patriots allowed several big plays to Carolina, which allowed them to hang around, and almost pull the upset: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=240201017

Some of you may be wondering why I have this SB win and the SB 39 win over Philly so far down on my list? The reason is that, during the early part of the Pats' decade of dominance, the AFC was a much stronger conference than the NFC...and teams like the Colts and Steelers appeared to pose a much greater challenge for the Pats, than did their eventual SB opponent.

8.) SB 39: Patriots 24, Eagles 21: In a game that really should have been a blow-out, the Patriots, as they did the year before with Carolina, allowed the Eagles to hang around, before finally putting them out of their misery, in Jacksonville. This win made the Patriots a legitimate dynasty: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250206021

9.) 2006 Divisional Playoffs: Patriots 24, Chargers 21: Yes...this is the year that the depised Indianapolis Horsefaces were handed a trip to the SB by NFL, and their stooges running around in zebra suits. But, the game before that thievery in Indy, played in San Diego, was something to see. In 2006, the 14-2 San Diego Chargers were the best team in the NFL. Had they beaten the Patriots in this game, there's no doubt in my mind that they would have gone on to win the SB. But, incredibly, the Chargers gave this game away via dumb penalties, and fumbling away what should have been a game clinching interception. As the Oakland Raiders learned in 2001, you can't give Tom Brady a second chance to beat you. The game ended with the Patriots celebrating at mid-field...catching the eye and the ire of RB LaDainian Tomlinson, who seemingly to this day is whining about how he was disrespected by the Patriots:  http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270114024 

10.) 2011 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 23, Ravens 20: With this win over the hated Buzzards, the Pats punched their ticket to SB 46, in Indy. Veteran WR Lee Evans had what appeared to be a game winning TD pass batted from his hands in the closing seconds...and was followed by a botched, badly hooked to the left Billy Condiff FG attempt...which left the Buzzards doing what they do best...whine: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320122017  

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Most Glorious Patriots' WINS

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The AH situation has seemingly put us all in a somber, negative mood. Let's see if we can change that. Instead of talking about the Pats' most devastating losses, let's talk about their greatest victories! Here's my top 10:

1.) SB 36: Patriots 20, Rams 17: The so-called "Greatest Show on Turf" got the turf slammed down their throats by a physical, opportunistic Patriots' defense. The Patriots, 14 point underdogs, stunned the football world, as QB Tom Brady was introduced to the Nation.

The Rams had fought back from a 14 point deficit to tie New England, 17-17, with 1:21 remaining. The Patriots took over at their own 17 yard line. I can remember sports commentator John Madden saying in a somber voice that, with no time outs and such relatively poor field position, that the Patriots should run out the clock, and play for OT.

But, Tom Brady said nay! Following the advice of Drew Bledsoe to "just sling it", he led the Pats into Adam Vinatieri FG range. He initially picked up a first down with an innocent 8-yard dump to J.R. Redmond for a first down. He then hooked up with Redmond again two plays later for an 11-yard reception and another first down at the New England 41.  Time was now the Patriots' biggest opponent. Brady threw incomplete, then connected with Troy Brown over the middle, and Brown managed to turn up field and get out of bounds at the St. Louis 36 for a 23-yard gain. Now, with only 21 seconds left, Brady threw a short pass in the right flat to tight end Jermaine Wiggins, who fought his way to the Rams' 30-yard line. Brady calmly spiked the ball to stop the clock with seven seconds to play.

"When Adam hit it, it was so true," Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said. "It was so high and so far"...And...so damned GOOD!!!  http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=220203017   

2.) 2001 AFC Divisional Playoff Game: Patriots 16, Raiders 13, OT: This is arguably the game that started the ball rolling for our great football franchise. In a blizzard, in the final game at the old Sullivan Stadium, a/k/a Shaeffer Stadium, the Pats settled a 25 year old score, by coming from behind to nip the Raiders in OT.

Known as the "Tuck Rule" game, the Pats got a second life, due to this obscure and little known rule...as what appeared to be an obvious Tom Brady fumble and game clinching Raider recovery, was instead ruled an incomplete pass. Other than the tuck call, the key play in the game was a miraculous, 45 yard Adam Vinatieri FG, that he knifed through the wind and the blinding snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BchXvzs8s0

The 25 year score?? When referee Ben "#@%&###@" Dreith threw a very, very late, and highly controversial flag on Sugar Bear Ray Hamilton for roughing the passer, in the closing seconds of the 1976 Pats @ Raiders Divisional playoff game, to rob the Patriots of an upset win.

3.) 2001 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 24, Steelers 17: Coming off an inspiring come from behind win over the Raiders in a blizzard, the Pats went into Pittsburgh, where the Goths were listed as a 9.5 point favorite. So confident were the Steelers, that they had already packed their bags for a SB trip to New Orleans, to face "the Greatest Show on Turf" Rams. But, for the Goths, it was not to be. Despite losing om Brady to a second quarter ankle injury, the Patriots dominated the game...which was not as close as the final score indicates: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/234348-2001-afc-championship-game-the-beginning-of-new-england-dominance

The key plays of the game were a brilliant 50 yard Troy Brown punt return, right down the middle of the field, for a TD...and a blocked Steeler FG, which was returned for a TD.

4.) 2003 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 24, Colts 14: The Patriots picked off Peyton Manning four (4) times, including three by CB Ty Law, in trouncing the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts were favored to beat the Patriots...despite the fact that this game was being played out in the cold, in Foxborough. The Pats would go on to defeat the Carolina Panthers in SB 38, while the Colts whined for rule changes, following this manhandling by the Pats: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20040118017      

5.) 2004 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 41, Steelers 27: Avenging a humiliating Haloween night loss, on national TV, to the Steelers in Pittsburgh in the regular season, the Patriots annihilated the Goths in their own frosty cold backyard. Adam Vinatieri set the pace early with a 48 yard FG. But, the key offensive play of the game was a 60 yard laser from Brady to Deion Branch...which was one of the greatest passes Tom Brady has ever thrown, throughout his illustrious career. A Rodney Harrison pick-6 pretty much but this game on ice, thereafter: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250123023    

6.) 2004 AFC Divisional Playoff Game: Patriots 20, Colts 3: Despite having their whines answered by the NFL Rules Committee, the Colts were no match for Kevin Faulk, Corey Dillon, Ted Bruschi, and the physical Patriots. Memorable plays were a clutch conversion on a 3rd and long, on a Brady to Faulk completion...which got the Patriots out of a deep field position hole. There was also a power and finesse Dillon run that all but iced the game, and Tedy Bruschi tearing the football away from Colts RB Dominic Rhodes, after Rhodes caught a short Manning pass. Full tilt...full time!!: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250116017

7.) SB 38: Patriots 32, Carolina Panthers 29: In one of the greatest SB games ever played, the Patriots outlasted the Carolina Panthers, in Houston. Adam Vinatieri's 41 yard FG with 4 seconds remaining to play gave the Pats the win. The Patriots allowed several big plays to Carolina, which allowed them to hang around, and almost pull the upset: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=240201017

Some of you may be wondering why I have this SB win and the SB 39 win over Philly so far down on my list? The reason is that, during the early part of the Pats' decade of dominance, the AFC was a much stronger conference than the NFC...and teams like the Colts and Steelers appeared to pose a much greater challenge for the Pats, than did their eventual SB opponent.

8.) SB 39: Patriots 24, Eagles 21: In a game that really should have been a blow-out, the Patriots, as they did the year before with Carolina, allowed the Eagles to hang around, before finally putting them out of their misery, in Jacksonville. This win made the Patriots a legitimate dynasty: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=250206021

9.) 2006 Divisional Playoffs: Patriots 24, Chargers 21: Yes...this is the year that the depised Indianapolis Horsefaces were handed a trip to the SB by NFL, and their stooges running around in zebra suits. But, the game before that thievery in Indy, played in San Diego, was something to see. In 2006, the 14-2 San Diego Chargers were the best team in the NFL. Had they beaten the Patriots in this game, there's no doubt in my mind that they would have gone on to win the SB. But, incredibly, the Chargers gave this game away via dumb penalties, and fumbling away what should have been a game clinching interception. As the Oakland Raiders learned in 2001, you can't give Tom Brady a second chance to beat you. The game ended with the Patriots celebrating at mid-field...catching the eye and the ire of RB LaDainian Tomlinson, who seemingly to this day is whining about how he was disrespected by the Patriots:  http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270114024 

10.) 2011 AFC Championship Game: Patriots 23, Ravens 20: With this win over the hated Buzzards, the Pats punched their ticket to SB 46, in Indy. Veteran WR Lee Evans had what appeared to be a game winning TD pass batted from his hands in the closing seconds...and was followed by a botched, badly hooked to the left Billy Condiff FG attempt...which left the Buzzards doing what they do best...whine: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320122017  

Thoughts?

Obviously how can anyone not say the 1st SB win but...

#2 for me. Most likely becasue of the fact I was there and it was the last game in that toilet bowl they called a stadium. It had a surreal feel to it with the snow falling and the way it played out. I have been to hundreds of games but that was most likely the best live football game I have ever attended and that includes the 2 SB's I went to.

Again most likely because I was in attendance so 2nd for me was the AFC championship game in 1996. The best part of that was the post game ceremony where Kraft was hammered slurring his words proclaiming Tuna as the greatest coach of all time and 2 weeks later tuna slunk out the backdoor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

The second SB win was my personal favorite, as it proved the first SB win wasn't "flukey."  Although upsets in SB's rarely happen, I think most outside of NE (I was stationed in Memphis at the time) thought we caught "lightening in a bottle" with a game plan that just happened to work on that particular day.  The second SB was a close game also, but that one IMO cemented that we were just a good old fashion great team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Great list.  I would add the Playoff game against Denver a couple of years ago where they absolutely destroyed the "Tebow Show."  I really enjoyed watching that beat-down!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

The second SB win was my personal favorite, as it proved the first SB win wasn't "flukey."  Although upsets in SB's rarely happen, I think most outside of NE (I was stationed in Memphis at the time) thought we caught "lightening in a bottle" with a game plan that just happened to work on that particular day.  The second SB was a close game also, but that one IMO cemented that we were just a good old fashion great team.

RESPONSE: I never thought that the Pats' first SB win was "flukey". To win the SB that year, the Pats had to go through three outstanding opponents:

1.) Oakland Raiders: A tough, veteran laiden team, that went onto win the AFC Championship the following season;

2.) Pittsburgh Steelers: Sure, Cordell Steward was their QB. But, he had an MVP-like season in 2001, before BB and the Pats' "D" exposed him in the play-offs. And, seemingly as always, "The Goths" had that physical, maurading defensive unit;

3.) St. Louis Rams: They were the Indy Colts before the Colts...only better, in 2001. They were also the defending SB champs, going for a repeat, in the 2001 season.  

As for the Carolina game, to me, it was almost anti-climatic. The Pats had been severely tested by a tough Tennesee Titan team in the Divisional Playoff round, and barely beat them in frigid Foxborough, 13-10. Had selected a top eleven instead of a top ten, that win would have been #11. Next, they had to defeat Mr. Wonderful and the vaunted Colts' offense, in my #4 greatest win game...before playing the Jake DelHomme led Panthers.

Then, in SB 38, the Pats nearly gave that game away due to some pathetic secondary play, an horrific Brady 4th quarter red-zone interception, and two missed FGs by the Automatic One, Adam Vinatieri. That game should have never been so close.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Great list, but only if Patriots history starts in 2000. Some pretty awesome wins before that like the '85 playoff run beating the despised Sack Exchange Jets, disposing of the hated Raiders and squishing the overrated Fish, all on the road and all in convincing fashion. Honestly, I don't remember a more intense time as a Pats fan than that run. The Raiders and Dolphins games definitely somewhere in my top 10.

Parcells era blowout of Pittsburgh in the first home playoff game in forever. Curtis Martin ran wild that day, as I recall. Borderline top 10 game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Great list, but only if Patriots history starts in 2000. Some pretty awesome wins before that like the '85 playoff run beating the despised Sack Exchange Jets, disposing of the hated Raiders and squishing the overrated Fish, all on the road and all in convincing fashion. Honestly, I don't remember a more intense time as a Pats fan than that run. The Raiders and Dolphins games definitely somewhere in my top 10.

Parcells era blowout of Pittsburgh in the first home playoff game in forever. Curtis Martin ran wild that day, as I recall. Borderline top 10 game.

I was going to say that I was with TP's choices 100% until you brought up the pre 2000 Pats.  That brought back memories of Offensive Tackle Brian Holloway crying with joy in the locker room after defeating the Jets in the first round of the Playoffs in 1985.  That long shot wild card run to the SB against Chicago was something to behold indeed.  

Of course the first Super Bowl Win was the Best Win of all though.  Will never forget the Pats being the first team to come out of the tunnel as a team instead of individually. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Man, good post! I'm a little young to actually remember the '85 run, but I'm sure it was a wonderful time to be a Pats fan. The playoff game against Pitt will always be one of my favorites. Remember how foggy it was? Bledsoe hit Glenn for a long TD to break it open, and Martin did indeed have a magical game. Awesome.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Here's a vote for an underrated one, assuming we avoid the obvious like the 1985 and 1996 runs:

2006 in San Diego. I really felt we were the lesser team and it was SD's time. I think they did, too, but I don't like Rivers, LT or Merriman.   When Brown stripped McCree and then Brady hit Caldwell on that 3rd down on the right flank to ice it, THAT was glorious.

Seeing LT cry like a baby, try to tell Pats players how to respond with an exciting road win, was VERY glorious for me.   What a loser. I am glad that entitled wuss never won anything.

Yes, that was a good one, probably top 10 for me as well. Very memorable. 

Honorable mention to the last RS game of 2007 vs. NYG, completing the undefeated season in a close, hard fought game. Also the passing and receiving TD records were set in that game, I believe.

Same year, beating Baltimore when the game seemed lost. Remember Billick acting the fool toward Rodney, blowing him kisses?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

True...but none of the pre-2001 wins belong in the top ten. The Patriots of BB and Brady have eclipsed anything that Patriot teams had done previously. The lone exception would have been in 1976, when ref Ben Dreith handed that game to the Raiders. Had he not made that call, the Pats' first SB, and championship, likely would have taken place in "76.  

Sections
Shortcuts