Most Overrated Coach in Football History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

Re: Most Overrated Coach in Football History

Belichick has got away from his roots which was defense. these so called offensive juggernauts historically do not win superbowls. defense wins championships. pittsburgh, jets, bears, and packers all have good defenses. we could not stop the jets when it was 14-11. that last touchdown by sanchez killed us. can we please draft some tough passrushing linebackers?!!! we need someone like Freeney on this team. We should have gone after Julius Peppers in free agency. if we had no doubt we would have won the Superbowl. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

I don't know if he is the most overrated but I think "The Tuna" is close.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

alot of these posers had low expectations at the beginning of the year and were all ripping the coach and brady with this same kind of bs..and they know who they are...  then when they magically went 14-2...all these posers put on their patriots gear and got ramped up for another run....  

but a funny thing happened on the way to the forum...(remember that movie laz??)

after the 86 superbowl i always temper my expectations(I was a lot younger then)... i certainly hope we do well every year but getting there is a battle and then winning it makes it even better...

so I thought it was a very good year... we win the superbowl its a great year... but now it is on to next year... for football... but I will certainly enjoy the celtics and the bruins...while im waiting...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If overrated means 3 Super Bowl titles, several above 10-6 records, and an almost routine spot in the playoffs nearly every year....I'd say you are daft. He is far from overrated, and that word does not apply to BB.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Most Overrated Coach in Football History:
    [QUOTE] Belichick receives universal accolades as the greatest coach in football. it is a lot of hot air. The man chose to run the football and take eight minutes of the clock in the fourth quarter down ten points. Teams do that when they are winning by ten, not losing by ten. You dont try a fake punt against a weak offensive team like the Jets before half time. Keep the game close and let it come down to Brady vs Sanchez late in the game. The team was showing no ability to make a 4th and 13. You have to try for a 52 yard field goal in that situation down ten points. Belichick is a poor game coach, and he made no adjustments after halftime. Just like in the Superbowl where Tom Coughlin cleaned his clock in the way he lined up Justin Tuck on the defensive line, and Belichick could not adjust. Another fault of Belichick is his arrogance. He drove away Asante Samuel and Ty Law. Belichick has needed a pass rusher for a long time and chose not to go with Clay Mathews, and he is paying the price for it. And what happened to that 3rd round pick on a QB, Kevin O'Connell when everyone in New England knows this team needs an elite pass rushing outside linebacker?
    Posted by bramrok[/QUOTE]
    BB wasn't calling for run plays on that 7:45 drive. You could see his frustration on the sidelines. He was pleading, past the feffen ball. TB was changing up at the line of scrimmage. Not BB's fault.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamDestruction. Show TeamDestruction's posts

IMO I don't think any coach in history could have made this team go 14-2 with the defense being so young.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Most Overrated Coach in Football History:
    [QUOTE]alot of these posers had low expectations at the beginning of the year and were all ripping the coach and brady with this same kind of bs..and they know who they are...  then when they magically went 14-2...all these posers put on their patriots gear and got ramped up for another run....   but a funny thing happened on the way to the forum...(remember that movie laz??) after the 86 superbowl i always temper my expectations(I was a lot younger then)... i certainly hope we do well every year but getting there is a battle and then winning it makes it even better... so I thought it was a very good year... we win the superbowl its a great year... but now it is on to next year... for football... but I will certainly enjoy the celtics and the bruins...while im waiting...
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]
    I generally agree with your post, but your young age for SB '86 was against the greatest defense over assembled along with the '70's Steelers and the one year wonders of 'oo Ravens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Most Overrated Coach in Football History : Maybe you didn't hear.  He's the same guy who got us the plan that beat "The Greatest Show On Turf"  in 2001. Oh, and he is the same guy who got us past the Panthers in 2003. Oh, and he is the same guy who beat McNabb, TO, and the Eagles in 2004. He just lost a game to a guy who has done..  NOTHING REALLY.  Who was coaching Baltimore's D when they won it all?  I think it was Marvin Lewis. But YOU know he is an arrogant fraud.  The team he built went 14-2, beat the top teams in the NFL, and is still one of the youngest in the league.  THAT you could have done, and the coach can't.  He drove away Ty Law and Asante Samuel, and they did what?  Nothing much, it turns out.  But YOU know better.  Well, if you don't like the guy and think he is a fraud, you are in for a rough go because he is not leaving anytime soon.  Me?  I'll be happy.  I like him. This loss is bad, even the coach thinks so, and he feels like he failed the team.  But I wouldn't take any other coach in the league.  Ever.   
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

You are talking 10, 8 qnd 7 years ago when he had Bobby grier talent, Now he can't pick his nose let alone a decent draft pick.

He's done cra lately and been 0-3 in the LAST # PLAYOFF games. Is that Lombardi like? Nonsense!

Lawhad good yeras after he left and Samuel is a perenial All Pro, What are you smoking/

The arrangant move to sit Welker was BS! Just to satisft his overinflated ego

BB was good when he had good players - he isn't very good now especially in the post season!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Casportsfan. Show Casportsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Overrated Coach in Football History : definition of history: " the branch of knowledge dealing with past events" Or in other words history refers to all past events which includes recent events. This might be hard for you to understand but when someone states just plain history unless they specifically refer to recent history you must also include all history including when he was working for the Giants. Now if you want to talk recent history again he was out coached but also the players did not perform against another heavily defense minded coach with more veteran talent then a piece meal young D which BB had. I wouldn't say he was the most overrated even this season but he did not perform up to the highest standards as apparently some believed he belonged. 
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

You make a valid point. The question is, is the thread referring to Belichick as the "most overrated coach when compared to other coaches, past and present?" or is it referring to the fact that his current and past achievments, i.e, the sum of his coaching career, has been overrated? I interpreted the thread to refer to the former position, rather than the latter.

There is no question he is a great coach.  That's been proven by his record in the regular and post seasons.  Does he receive undue credit though, as the greatest coach of the current class or prior class, as many have referenced him as?  I believe so, and that means he is possibly the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL.

People on sports radio, ESPN, and local TV everywhere around the nation refer to him as a genius and widely regard him currently as the best coach in the NFL.  In my opinion, he cannot be the best active coach if teams with inferior regular season records are beating his own team in the SB or on the Patriots home field in the playoffs.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In all fairness, the hoody has lost some of his luster recently, at least as far as coaching decisions in the game have gone. 

Yeah, he coached a bunch of rookies to 14-2, but a heap of that credit should go to the offensive team that kept a weak defense in it all season.  

The fake-punt, even if it had worked, showed a poor conception of the game. It was a knock-down-drag-out defensive battle.

You are on your 30. There is a 1:30 to go in the half. AND you get the ball after the half. 

Punt it, and fight another day. 

That play completely changed the complexion of the game. From that point forward both the Jets offense and defense were allowed to play their most aggressive schemes because they had money in the bank.

Going for it on 4th and whatever against the Colts, we could argue that one. Going for it on 4th and a gillion against the Gints instead of trying a long FG, we could even (possibly) argue that one too. 

But the fake punt down by four? That put the game into the Jets' hands, and they didn't let go. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

I just got through watching the HBO special on Vince Lombardi this evening and I feel very upset about where our nation's culture has gone. We celebrate the anti-hero and we scorn the true hero. Lombardi was a great person as well as a great coach. He left a tremendous example of perseverance , hard work , of wanting to always get the best out of a player and out of a team. He won 5 NFL championships in 9 yrs. including a record 3 in a row (the only team to ever accomplish this) In addition to that he also won the 1st two Super Bowls.  But most of all we celebrate the character that  the man brought to the sport , to his players , to the fans (and I think of the role model his example was to the kids of that era) We celebrated greatness and class. And never was a coach loved any greater by his players. Today in our current culture we try to tear down anything that is good , that is special  , that is noble. We tear down the Bill Belichicks , the Tom Brady's the greatness that they've achieved . We let their status be attacked in favor of a bunch of immoral braggards who possess no class , no sense of history or honor. The NFL should be ashamed for allowing this side show to have gone on the past week because the Jets may have won the game but it was the NFL that lost it's dignity . I have always felt that pro football was the greatest of all sports. Not anymore. The league always protected it's image and it's sense of fair play. This past week a very vulgar man mascaraeding as an NFL coach and a # of very classless players were allowed to heap everything from name calling to swearing to threats of physical harm onto their opponent and not one word comes out of the Comissioner"s office. The Jets are a trashy organization that is obvious . But it was the NFL who dropped the ball. After all isn't why they named the Super Bowl Trophy the Lombardi Trophy , in refrence to the greatness of that man! We all deserved better than what we got even the Jets for what it's worth!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

This thread was created as the fan equivalent of someone slapping you as hard as they can across the face, then saying they were just removing a blob of mustard from your cheek.  We know how it was meant.  But HERE is how it IS.  "Coach"?  No, MORE THAN THAT.  Architect.  Coordinator.  Financial Planner.  Guidance Counselor.  Judge.  Focal Point.  Human Resources Manager.  Talent Scout.  Stock Trader.  Motivator.  Salesman.  Blame Absorber.
    Strategic Planner.  Game Manager.  Yeah.  He sure is overrated.  Pete Carrol and Bobby Grier did some great job before him.  And the great Parcells, he was the epitome of excellence and stability.  You meant this thread for evil, but I now use it for good.  Bill B is the most UNDERRATED Coach in NFL history.  He took a franchise mired in mediocrity and got them to not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 superbowls, and was triumphant in 3 of them.  SO FAR.  And he did it in the Salary Cap era.  HE DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankdawop67. Show frankdawop67's posts

I have two words for alot of you posters here ...

paragraphs ... punctuation ...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Lets give Rod Rust a call. Then maybe folks here will appreciate what we have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Most Overrated Coach in Football History : Maybe you didn't hear.  He's the same guy who got us the plan that beat "The Greatest Show On Turf"  in 2001. Oh, and he is the same guy who got us past the Panthers in 2003. Oh, and he is the same guy who beat McNabb, TO, and the Eagles in 2004. He just lost a game to a guy who has done..  NOTHING REALLY.  Who was coaching Baltimore's D when they won it all?  I think it was Marvin Lewis. But YOU know he is an arrogant fraud.  The team he built went 14-2, beat the top teams in the NFL, and is still one of the youngest in the league.  THAT you could have done, and the coach can't.  He drove away Ty Law and Asante Samuel, and they did what?  Nothing much, it turns out.  But YOU know better.  Well, if you don't like the guy and think he is a fraud, you are in for a rough go because he is not leaving anytime soon.  Me?  I'll be happy.  I like him. This loss is bad, even the coach thinks so, and he feels like he failed the team.  But I wouldn't take any other coach in the league.  Ever.   
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

BB's also the same guy who devised the defensive scheme to stop the seemingly unstoppable Buffalo Bills in 1991...when he was serving as the DC for the NY Giants. Giants pulled the upset, 20-19, in that SB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Lets give Rod Rust a call. Then maybe folks here will appreciate what we have.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

The guy who started this thread is a troll. Pay him no heed.

But, if you want to  talk about Rod Rust, how about Clive Rush, or Dick McFearson?? LOL!!!

But...these guys really don't figure into this discussion. The question is, who is the most overrated coach...not, who is the worst coach? How about the grossly overrated Tony Dungy? How about Bo Schembeckler? Rich Rodriguez?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Overrated Coach in Football History :      The guy who started this thread is a troll. Pay him no heed.      But, if you want to  talk about Rod Rust, how about Clive Rush, or Dick McFearson?? LOL!!!      But...these guys really don't figure into this discussion. The question is, who is the most overrated coach...not, who is the worst coach? How about the grossly overrated Tony Dungy? How about Bo Schembeckler? Rich Rodriguez?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

How about Jeff Fischer. For as long as he's stayed on with the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Oilers/Tennessee Titans and has only one Super Bowl appearance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Most Overrated Coach in Football History :    BB's also the same guy who devised the defensive scheme to stop the seemingly unstoppable Buffalo Bills in 1991...when he was serving as the DC for the NY Giants. Giants pulled the upset, 20-19, in that SB.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Same scheme he used against the rams and same scheme fatboy used on us...

i guess you could give him credit for getting his wife's foot out of his *ss long enough to figure that out....   nnnnaaaaaaaaaaahh!

Sections
Shortcuts