Most underrated Pats player, Vollmer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Most underrated Pats player, Vollmer

I have no idea how he's not in the Pro Bowl at RT.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

Agreed. Maybe we all just expected this type of season from Vollmer because he looked so good as a rookie. With his versatility and tenacity (a notch below Mankins, but still a bit nasty), he's very valuable to this team. Hopefully BB does some work on the OL this offseason, because outside of Vollmer and Connolly, it's a bit of a mess.

Light - contract, age
    Mankins - contract
    Koppen - age
    Neal - age

Light's inability to play the right side will cut his career short and makes re-signing him a tougher decision than it should be. I'd love to have Mankins back, but I don't see it happening. Neal is basically useless at this point, and Kaczur is more suited to be a backup T/G than a starter. He's surprisingly old too (32 this offseason). This area needs to be addressed more than any other part of the team. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

I would put Crumpler in the Underrated category as well. He isnt out there catching 35 yd passes and making defenders miss, but what he has brought to the offensive line and the running game is unbelievable. Definately has helped Ben and Woody. No doubt about that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who underrated Vollmer? And he had a pretty mediocre season this year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

How was Vollmer "mediocre"?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Most underrated Pats player, Vollmer:
    Another guy I think is underrated is Gary Guyton. He's had a very nice year. Lot of people were saying he s.ucked and should be cut before the season
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

I agree. That's why I'm glad Belichick makes these decisions and not fans.

Nobody mentions that Guyton "suckked" last year because he was constantly put in a position where he was physically incapable of making a play. This year with Spikes and Cunningham in the fold, Guyton is now put in more comfortable situations for his skill set.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Who underrated Vollmer? And he had a pretty mediocre season this year. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Yeah, Brady's been pretty terrible too......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

How was Vollmer "mediocre"?
    Posted by BBReigns

He was the worst member on the line. Are you kidding me? He gave up about 5 sacks this year and plenty of pressures. Hell, Wake made him his personal b*tch in Miami and if I had time to think, I could think of plenty of games where he was beat, ESPECIALLY against speed rusher. 

Very mediocre year from him, at least, compared to the rest of the Pats line. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

So, allowing a sack in Week 4 to a Pro Bowler in Cameron Wake means he had a "mediocre" year?

Please share with us the stats where it says he allowed 5 sacks.

I saw Mankins allow at least 5 this year. One was in Detroit, for example, and that's in far less games than Vollmer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

So, allowing a sack in Week 4 to a Pro Bowler in Cameron Wake means he had a "mediocre" year? Please share with us the stats where it says he allowed 5 sacks. I saw Mankins allow at least 5 this year. One was in Detroit, for example, and that's in far less games than Vollmer.
    Posted by BBReigns

Mankins allowed 5 sacks? Impossible, he was the best lineman with Neal second and Light third. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

49P, I'm not sure how giving up one sack in two games vs. a Pro Bowl edge rusher helps your argument. Oh, and Vollmer is a beast in the running game.

If you want to pick out the weak link on the offensive line, it's the guy snapping the ball. Koppen is a below average center, and always has been.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Most underrated Pats player, Vollmer : Mankins allowed 5 sacks? Impossible, he was the best lineman with Neal second and Light third. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

I don't know how many, but at least a few.  Any time somene has come up the middle on his side, and chased Brady down in that stupid shotgun, Mankins is the one standing around.

He's not the best pass protector, whether you and others want to admit that or not.

He's a beastly blocker, but average at pass protection.  He played far less games than Vollmer, so his sack allowance rate is higher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'm sorry but you're nuts. First off, your love affair with Crable was downright bizarre. I'm sure you still think he's going to be LT. Now you're inventing a statistic. Please list the games and players of the sacks you are referencing. I can only remember Cameron Wake sacking Brady.

I think Vollmer has been terrific, and I can't remember many bad plays.

In Response to Re: Most underrated Pats player, Vollmer : He was the worst member on the line. Are you kidding me? He gave up about 5 sacks this year and plenty of pressures. Hell, Wake made him his personal b*tch in Miami and if I had time to think, I could think of plenty of games where he was beat, ESPECIALLY against speed rusher.  Very mediocre year from him, at least, compared to the rest of the Pats line. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Maybe I missed something here, but haven't we got the top offense in the league, and why are we criticizing anyone on the offensive line, especially heading into the playoffs? All of these guys have been terrific!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Anyone criticizing our O-line or any player on our O-line is a moron.  We've got the best O-line in football and dominated in pass-blocking and run-blocking all year long.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Agreed.   I'll never understand the criticism people concoct in their minds to try to scapegoat players on this O Line.

Some are better at pass blocking, some better at run blocking, but overall, every one of them is good at both, overall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FebruaryGirl. Show FebruaryGirl's posts

BBReigns - I just want to say that I Love You!  I Love to See What You Are Going To Say!

posted at 1/6/2011 4:17 PM EST

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=4ccfca540ddc4678657c5d4a53b5e05e&plckUserId=4ccfca540ddc4678657c5d4a53b5e05e">
    First: 10/19/2010
    Last: 1/6/2011
    Agreed.   I'll never understand the criticism people concoct in their minds to try to scapegoat players on this O Line.

Some are better at pass blocking, some better at run blocking, but overall, every one of them is good at both, overall.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm going to have to think about "underrated".   This is a 14-2 team where, nevertheless, the pundits dump on everybody. 

The classic dump is, "plays within a system", and so they wouldn't be any good elsewhere.  I suppose this is a credit to Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick, but somebody has to go out there and play the game.  Don't all the other NFL players play within some system or other?  Do the others all play within the extremely popular "stoopid coach's system"?

Vollmer actually was having a bad September.  He has gotten better since Mankins got on the line, but also Vollmer might have been working through an injury. 

I'm going to put Mankins as underrated.  Pundits have been using Mankins as an example of what's wrong with the Pro Bowl, but it's not true.  Since week 9 the Patriots' offense has been doing a bit better.  Mankins might have been rusty on week 9, but since then the offense has scored 37 points a game.

Crumpler is underrated.  Yes he can catch!  He also blocks as well as Vollmer.

Koppen is underrated. 

Hoyer is underrated because nobody knows what BB has in reserve.  Taylor Price is probably underrated.  Deion Branch used to be underrated by the Seahawks.  Fourth rounder, huh?  Danny Woodhead was underrated by the Jets.  Kittens, free to good home?

Assuming that Jermaine Cunningham recovers from his injury, I'm going to put him down as underrated for the playoffs.  He hasn't gotten many sacks but he has created all sorts of hurries and knockdowns, the kind of plays that cause interceptions.  The Patriots are ten net turnovers ahead of the #2 team in the NFL and double that of the #3 team.  What is that, 27 accidents in a row?

I was down on BJGE, an undrafted free agent and #5 in the running backs pecking order as the season began.  However, he has never fumbled the football in his professional career.  I didn't know that smearing Krazy Glue on your hand was legal.

Mayo has made the most tackles of any player in the NFL this year, twice what any other Patriots player has racked up.  Also, Spikes is way under the radar for what he does, and he'll be on the field on the 16th.

There's a big hole in my memory for who on the D-line held three division rivals plus Chicago and Green Bay to an average of 9 points a game over the last 5 games.  This doesn't count all those turnovers generated by the D, in which the bull rushing D-line played its part.  I need two other nominees besides Vince Wilfork, who earned his new $40 million contract.

Eugene Chung is busy doing things right.  He blocked a punt and a field goal in the same game. 

I didn't give spit for Kyle Arrington when he got picked up on the practice squad on September 21.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I said he was average this year, never said he was awful or bad. And if everyone think Vollmer is so great, how is he possibly underrated. I can't find the stats for pressures given up, but he's given up the most pressures on the line. 

Sections
Shortcuts