Movie "Draft Day" a Bust??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Movie "Draft Day" a Bust??

The movie "Draft Day", starring Kevin Cosner, is getting bad reviews. The $25mil. budgeted movie pulled in a weak $9.8mil., in 2,781 theatres, nationwide.

I haven't seen the movie myself...nor did I plan to. I can't understand how any knowledgable football fan could get into a movie dramatizing a fake draft, with the real NFL draft just a few weeks away.

While the movie "Moneyball" was based on the true story of the remarkable 2002 Oakland A's...who, despite being a team made up of a bunch of castoffs and having the lowest payroll in baseball, came within a game of going to the ALCS, after winning 103 games....this fantasy about the lowly Cleveland Browns and some fictional hot shot GM doesn't seem to have any "grabbing" power.

Better if they did a movie about BB's trials and tribulations, while head coach  in Cleveland. There's lot's of drama in that story. Perhaps Cosner could have scored playing BB!    

Enough of a rip-off on the draft, Jolly Roger! Putting it off to May 8th was as bad an idea as this goofy movie. Aren't y'all as tired as I am of the draft hype? The draft is spaced too far after free agency. It's getting to the point where I'm losing interest...as we're still about 4 weeks away from our annual football oasis at the Radio City Music Hall.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20140413/mark-podolski-draft-day-disappoints-at-box-office-national-critics-pile-on 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Movie

I think they movie guys over thought this one.  They didn't understand the attention the draft gets in real life.  To come up with a fake draft and to play it around draft time is a big snafu.  Where's the drama in a fake draft?  It just doesn't stand up to the real thing.  Bad decision making by the movie moguls by not understanding who the real competition is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The movie "Draft Day", starring Kevin Cosner, is getting bad reviews. The $25mil. budgeted movie pulled in a weak $9.8mil., in 2,781 theatres, nationwide.

I haven't seen the movie myself...nor did I plan to. I can't understand how any knowledgable football fan could get into a movie dramatizing a fake draft, with the real NFL draft just a few weeks away.

While the movie "Moneyball" was based on the true story of the remarkable 2002 Oakland A's...who came within a game of going to the WS, despite having a bunch of castoffs, and the lowest payroll in baseball....this fantasy about the lowly Cleveland Browns and some fictional hot shot GM doesn't seem to have any "grabbing" power.

Better if they did a movie about BB's trials and tribulations, while head coach  in Cleveland. There's lot's of drama in that story. Perhaps Cosner could have scored playing BB!    

Enough of a rip-off on the draft, Jolly Roger! Putting it off to May 8th was as bad an idea as this goofy movie. Aren't y'all as tired as I am of the draft hype? The draft is spaced too far after free agency. It's getting to the point where I'm losing interest...as we're still about 4 weeks away from our annual football oasis at the Radio City Music Hall.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20140413/mark-podolski-draft-day-disappoints-at-box-office-national-critics-pile-on 

[/QUOTE]

They weren't planning on making much on the initial release. They planned to make their money after Clevelad wins the SB next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think they movie guys over thought this one.  They didn't understand the attention the draft gets in real life.  To come up with a fake draft and to play it around draft time is a big snafu.  Where's the drama in a fake draft?  It just doesn't stand up to the real thing.  Bad decision making by the movie moguls by not understanding who the real competition is.

[/QUOTE]

This is what happens when marginal football fans try to make a football movie. Plus, this is a result of Jolly Roger Goodell trying to wring out every dime possible, by stretching out the draft process. The guy is completely out of touch with the fans 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

While the movie "Moneyball" was based on the true story of the remarkable 2002 Oakland A's...who came within a game of going to the WS, despite having a bunch of castoffs, and the lowest payroll in baseball....this fantasy about the lowly Cleveland Browns and some fictional hot shot GM doesn't seem to have any "grabbing" power.

[/QUOTE]

I thought for sure the timing of the movie was to get folks to watch the movie before the real draft with the hopes of making new fans of this weekend long event they keep trying to make prime time and must see tv. You are either a very involved fan who enjoys the draft or you arent, IMO.  I was actually looking forward to it just because its a slow time in sports and I usually watch a lot of movies around this time.

I am gonna remain positive and wait and see because in my experience, you can never judge a movie accurately based on reviews because so many people think of movies in different ways. So many times I read terrible reviews and ended up liking or heard rave reviews and hated it.

Gary, when you say fake, you mean tv fake, not that the draft IN the movie was fake too right?  I dont see the issue with it as I assume there are lots of sidebar scenes that do into depth about how the draft works behind scenes. If thats the case I see no issue with the timing. We are likley talking 2 diff. fan bases anyway. Plenty of folks loved Jerry Maguire who werent even sports fans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought about going to see it, but I figured it would suck...apparently it does. With me, I'm just so bored at this point that anything football related perks up my interest a bit. I love the draft, but the damn thing takes so long to get here it drives me crazy...and then they went and moved it further back a week:(

I need the draft to get here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Draft Day is a Costner movie. Did anyone expect a good movie from him?

It will be in Red Box for a buck in no time. Then I'll probably rent it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought about going to see it, but I figured it would suck...apparently it does. With me, I'm just so bored at this point that anything football related perks up my interest a bit. I love the draft, but the damn thing takes so long to get here it drives me crazy...and then they went and moved it further back a week:(

[/QUOTE]

Do you believe that this guy Portfolio is ragging on me because I've started several football related threads that don't specifically deal with the Patriots? Unreal...LOL!!!

I'm as bored as you are. Just trying to stir up some football talk...to bridge the 4 week wait to the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you believe that this guy Portfolio is ragging on me because I've started several football related threads that don't specifically deal with the Patriots? Unreal...LOL!!!

I'm as bored as you are. Just trying to stir up some football talk...to bridge the 4 week wait to the draft.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that, really this the only place on the Internet (football related) I find interesting anymore, so anything football related is fine by me this time of year. I wish the pats would sign someone right - and I don't care who it is - just so I could have something to think about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

I have enjoyed many Costner movies and expect to like this one, but dont enjoy the movies so will wait for the "on Demand" availability.

As far as BB and Cleveland, there was a small segment on "The Football Life" and it was sad to see the entire team and coaching reactions.

Lastly, there was a song/diddly referring to Critics and noted they were wannabes that couldn't cut it and found criticizing a way to make them feel good.  sad but true so it's better to see it or trust the person that does before commenting.

After all, it's just a movie .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As far as BB and Cleveland, there was a small segment on "The Football Life" and it was sad to see the entire team and coaching reactions.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know. I've seen the segment. There seemed to be plenty of real life drama going on to make a movie out of that situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

why would anyone expect something worthwhile from him? Bull Durham sucked. Robin Hood was a joke. The bodyguard??? Waterworld??? Field of Dreams was ok. Overrated is an understatement about this guy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

watching a fiction about draft day is probably as over rated as watching the real thing....lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to RushThePillPopper's comment:
    [QUOTE]

why would anyone expect something worthwhile from him? Bull Durham sucked. Robin Hood was a joke. The bodyguard??? Waterworld??? Field of Dreams was ok. Overrated is an understatement about this guy.

[/QUOTE]

Anybody who says Bull Durham sucked should be punched in the belly by the person nearest to him, and anybody that says Field of Dreams was just ok, should be banned from earth.

I fully agree with Texas Pat that moving the draft to May is a pisspoor move. I'm going to take the family to the movie as I am a Costner fan(50-50 shot at being a great movie with Costner) but more importantly a Dennis Leary fan. I think it's a cool idea to have a movie about the NFL draft but admit that it will probably be too "Hollywood". All the same I will post a review when I see it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Anybody who says Bull Durham sucked should be punched in the belly by the person nearest to him, and anybody that says Field of Dreams was just ok, should be banned from earth.

I fully agree with Texas Pat that moving the draft to May is a pisspoor move. I'm going to take the family to the movie as I am a Costner fan(50-50 shot at being a great movie with Costner) but more importantly a Dennis Leary fan. I think it's a cool idea to have a movie about the NFL draft but admit that it will probably be too "Hollywood". All the same I will post a review when I see it.

[/QUOTE]

oh well. your opinion is yours. mine is mine. the fact that some people think BD is one of the best sports or even baseball films is a joke. that's my opinion. I liked Field but is is not as great as many say it is. Again my opinion. like it or not, whatever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

oh well. your opinion is yours. mine is mine. the fact that some people think BD is one of the best sports or even baseball films is a joke. that's my opinion. I liked Field but is is not as great as many say it is. Again my opinion. like it or not, whatever

[/QUOTE]

I was j/k about the gut punching bud, what sports movies do you like?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

one choice for each sport.....slapshot, north dallas forty, the natural, and for the nba.....?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

One of my favorites is an underrated movie that gets slammed by some is "Eight Men out" the story of the Chicago Black sox! Great movie with a bunch of good actors. I also think an under rated movie was "*61" the Roger Maris/Mickey mantle story.

"Any Given Sunday" was a great movie that seems like it captured the NFL to a tee! I liked the Natural, and Hoosiers is a good movie but I would take "Field of Dreams over them" more in touch with my child hood I suppose.

And I actually like the baseball movie Costner did where he threw a perfect game at the end, forget the name but don't think it did great in the box office or anything.

Of course "Sand Lot" is the best kids sports movie. Well written.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

one choice for each sport.....slapshot, north dallas forty, the natural, and for the nba.....?

[/QUOTE]

"Blue Chips" !! HAHA,

slapshot is a great movie. What about Miracle?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Blue Chips" !! HAHA,

[/QUOTE]

I forgot about Hoosiers..... Miracle is good but I don't really see Kurt Russel as Herb Brooks but it is a good film. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If its not on one of my 3 flights today I won't see it. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[/QUOTE]

"Blue Chips" !! HAHA,

[/QUOTE]

My top sports movies are: 1.) Boxing: Rocky 1; 2.) Hockey: Slapshot, because of the Hansen brothers!; 3.) Baseball: The Natural, because it's so nostalgic...Roy Hobbs makes me think of 1967, and Carl Yastrzemski's triple crown performance that year; Football: Friday Night Lights (the TV series that spun off from the movie played for 5 seasons...I highly recommend it), Basketball: He Got Game, starring Ray Allen and Denzel Washington; 6.) Golf: Caddyshack....Ted Knight was hilarilous as Judge Smails, and Bill Murray equally as funny as Carl, the gopher hunting greens' keeper! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts