Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85

A few suggestions: First he should do what he said he would do back in January and change his name back to Johnson. Really, the Ocho thing was, is and always will be foolish. It makes him look unintelligent which I know he's not.

Switch numbers with Gronkowski. Give him the number 85 (Gronko-Cinco?) or better yet take Tate's old number. That way he won't be Ocho anything.

Close the Twitter account. Not forever, just until he's better established in the offense. Until that happens he is going to take a good deal of heat, justified or not, for that activity. Perception is everything.

Now I know that a lot of you are going to say that this is me "hatin' on Ocho." I'm not. I really like the guy. I want him on the team. I want him to succeed and be a part of the incredible offense they are building and I'm pulling for him to do so. I truly believe that, given a little more time, he will be a tremendous asset to the team.
    But let's face it, if he wants to win the hearts and minds of most Patriot fans, he needs to close the Ocho show. Until he does, whether he means to  or not, he is singling himself out and causing a distraction, and if it continues, Bill won't put up with it for long. That's not hating. That's reality.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85

^^^
    Good suggestions. Better to keep his persona low key and not above the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Not to be hatin, but.......
    BB traded for the whole package, the personality, the player, the pupil, the punk.  Pretty sure he knew what he was getting and was ok with it, as he is with AH.
    Why don't we just give him a lobotomy while we're at it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The term "when in Rome" applies here, as it most often does.  When Chad was in Cincy he had to be a one man show.  How else were those multitudes of fans going to be entertained, and how else could Chad feel good about playing there?  The masses needed a showboat because it was the next best thing to having a good team and Chad was the perfect guy to give it to them. 

Now he's here, where the ball gets spread around quite liberally.  He's here, where there truly is no "I" in team.  He's here, where players are expected to spend all of their energy on keeping their noses down in their playbooks and workng hard towards winning as a team.  He's here, where it's much better to be seen on the field, than heard off of it.  Considering his past actions, antics and mindset, he's almost going to need a labotomy to pull this one off and fit in. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Put the gold teeth back & dance your azz off when you get back in the endzone. BB added this guy bc our team lacked a playmaker & some swag. We need Ocho being Ocho....That's what drives him!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85:
    [QUOTE]Put the gold teeth back & dance your azz off when you get back in the endzone. BB added this guy bc our team lacked a playmaker & some swag. We need Ocho being Ocho....That's what drives him!
    Posted by Red-Doc-Redemption[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!
    BB during documentary; "You should get excited when you make a play and you should get excited when someone else makes a play." 
    Could it be that he thinks that the team needs some of that?
    To me, that makes more sense than trying to change a persons personality, especially when BB also said, recently, that he's not into that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Sure, dance in the end-zone. No problem. Just keep the on field celebrations on the field. When the game is over get your nose back in the play book and keep learning.
    Next week go out, score more TDs and dance your damn fool head off. On the field.
    No need to Tweet " Did y'all see my dance? What did y'all think of my dance?" Who cares!? Score, score, and score some more, and you will have all the love the fans can give you and then some. Most Patriot fans don't give a rat's hind quarters about personality. Just performance.

That ain't hatin'. That's just how it is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I just that Chad is trying too hard to fit in...he needs to be himself & get his swagger back...he's only had about a month of time with brady & to learn the system...I have faith he'll be a good fit & will GROW into his role as the season progresses...as long as he is commited to learning the Patriots offense & putting in the necessary time behind the scene he'll be peaking for us just after the bye week & we got plenty of options till then to keep us going...I mean we haven't even started using Ridley & Vereen as well as Price & Slater....life is good people & it will only get better as long as guys get & stay healthy....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I think most fans are totally ok with Chad doing what Chad does. Otherwise you would see more than ten folks complaining about it. Matter of fact, more people have been defending him and telling others to lay off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Sure, dance in the end-zone. No problem. Just keep the on field celebrations on the field. When the game is over get your nose back in the play book and keep learning. Next week go out, score more TDs and dance your damn fool head off. On the field. No need to Tweet " Did y'all see my dance? What did y'all think of my dance?" Who cares!? Score, score, and score some more, and you will have all the love the fans can give you and then some. Most Patriot fans don't give a rat's hind quarters about personality. Just performance. That ain't hatin'. That's just how it is.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Tweeting is part of his personality.  He likes attention.  He has toned it way down since his arrival.  Shoot, go look at Espn Boston.com players tweets.  Yesterday Leigh Bodden had the whole page from start to finish. Edelman is the same way.  This difference here is that no one is psycho analysing them.
    That's just not right, IMO.
    He did not say he is in "awe" of the team.  That was Bruschi. It was his opinion and that is all. 
    Some people just express themselves differently.  Some people say "good game" and some people say "wow". Just seems like a bunch of condemnation for merely applauding his team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Pezz makes a good point about much being made, in Ocho's case, of something every player does. Frankly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about him propping Brady on Tweeter (or whateverthehellitis). Of course, you have to understand -- as has been said -- that Ocho comes from a place where he was a de facto star, and that while Pats fan (and hyperventilating former Pats player) should understand that he is not likely to fill the role -- nor need to fill the role -- that he did in Cincinnatti, the media is going to treat him as if he is and does in New England.

This is what happens when you market yourself. Outside this forum, as many people are talking about how few times Ocho was targeted (or even on the field) as are reacting to Brady's fireworks display the exact same way Ocho did . . .

By saying "Wow!"

This is primarily because we have come to live in an era where "fantasy" results have usurped actual results in importance to an alarming number of "fans," but it's also because Ocho working his way methodically into his role on the Pats simply isn't a "story."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]I think most fans are totally ok with Chad doing what Chad does. Otherwise you would see more than ten folks complaining about it. Matter of fact, more people have been defending him and telling others to lay off.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

OK, that's your take on things and I respect that. But most of the fans that I talk to feel that the show is between the lines on the field and would rather not have his brand of side show antics. I know that many probably think I'm a crank. I admit that I've been around awhile and my thinking is considered "old school."  My first Pats game was at Fenway in 1963. I'm from the days of Grogan and Bird et al, when Boston fans were considered "Blue Collar" and such non-sense wasn't appreciated.

It's just my opinion (and I know for a fact that it is one shared by many fans) but I  feel that the "Ocho Act" isn't a good fit in New England. It was fine in Cincinnati
    and may work well in other places but it doesn't belong here. Let the play on the field do the talking, the rest is bull-snot.

Remember, Randy Moss was sent packing for being far less of a distraction than CJ has already been.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I bet by game 4 we won't be talking about this any more.  He will be fine.  He made a circus catch against Miami.  Obviously, they were looking to take out the wides, and we went to the TE's.  Now I'm sure SD will be looking to take out the TE's/Welker, and we will be ready to run and pass to the wides.  I bet he had a solid, not stellar, day Sunday.  And I think Tedy had no business saying what he said.  It actually lowered my opinion of him a bit.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Give him a few weeks to learn the offense . . . then we'll talk . . .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

How about letting BB manage the team? If he thinks there are real distractions he will deal with it. In the meantime give Chad a chance to work his way into the mix. If it takes 4-8 games before he is catching 3-5 passes a game so what. As long as TB has enough weapons to keep winning games.

My guess is that there is no way Chad impacts like Moss did. But I think he will become a sound target. I expect him to catch 3 or 4 passes a game, some games more others less. I expect one or two big games out of him this year - not necessarliy huge games but games where he is a difference maker. I expect come playoff time he is another weapon; not a star but a weapon just as Branch is now a weapon but not a star.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85 : OK, that's your take on things and I respect that. But most of the fans that I talk to feel that the show is between the lines on the field and would rather not have his brand of side show antics. I know that many probably think I'm a crank. I admit that I've been around awhile and my thinking is considered "old school."  My first Pats game was at Fenway in 1963. I'm from the days of Grogan and Bird et al, when Boston fans were considered "Blue Collar" and such non-sense wasn't appreciated. It's just my opinion (and I know for a fact that it is one shared by many fans) but I  feel that the "Ocho Act" isn't a good fit in New England. It was fine in Cincinnati and may work well in other places but it doesn't belong here. Let the play on the field do the talking, the rest is bull-snot. Remember, Randy Moss was sent packing for being far less of a distraction than CJ has already been.

Me thinks you and Bruschi think alike. Lol
    I'm still a little fuzzy on what distraction you are speaking of.  A harmless tweet or a national bomb blasting of said tweet? 
    Not one person in here even noticed that tweet until Bruschi went ballistic.
    Not one!
    I guess Brady meant to cause a commotion by going down that slide too.
    Shame on him for having fun, off the field.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

Both Chad and Haynesworth have been model ciizens since they got here...why don't you haters give it a rest and root for your team -- which includes them!

Haynesworth and Chad will be playing in the next Super Bowl, and contributing to a Pats victory.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]I bet by game 4 we won't be talking about this any more.  He will be fine.  He made a circus catch against Miami.  Obviously, they were looking to take out the wides, and we went to the TE's.  Now I'm sure SD will be looking to take out the TE's/Welker, and we will be ready to run and pass to the wides.  I bet he had a solid, not stellar, day Sunday.  And I think Tedy had no business saying what he said.  It actually lowered my opinion of him a bit.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think Tedy is really talking about himself when he was giving advice to 85. Tedy may be jealous he is not out there playing anymore and all he can be is analyst. He sounded angry he is not in Ocho's position, not able to play any longer.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I really don't care about Bruschi or what anyone else at ESPN has to say and I agree that whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Please don't compare me to or confuse me with any of them.

It's like I said I'm an old school crank and look at things differently than many younger folks. For me the entertainment value is in the game itself. If that's not enough for you, if you need all that HEY MA, LOOK AT ME! AIN'T I SOMETHIN SPECIAL stuff, then maybe you just don't care all that much about football. When I was growing up anyone who acted that way, especially in the professional ranks, would have been called a damn fool and wouldn't have been around very long.

I know, I know. Different times.

Part of the trouble with Johnson (and as far as I'm concerned, that's his name no matter what he chooses to call himself) is that he came with this baggage that has nothing to do with playing football. I can't help feeling that if he had done what he said he would do in January and gone back to his original name, taken a different number, and cooled it on the twitter for a while, that a lot of this controversy would never have occurred. Because he has chosen to hang on to the Ocho persona, many people that I know don't take him seriously. Say what you want, it is a distraction.

But, hey, I'm getiing old. My time is passing. I think it's a shame that football isn't enough anymore, that it's not as much about playing the game as it is about the games people play. If that's the case why not just bring in T.O., turn the whole thing into a circus and let the clowns run the show.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85 : OK, that's your take on things and I respect that. But most of the fans that I talk to feel that the show is between the lines on the field and would rather not have his brand of side show antics. I know that many probably think I'm a crank. I admit that I've been around awhile and my thinking is considered "old school."  My first Pats game was at Fenway in 1963. I'm from the days of Grogan and Bird et al, when Boston fans were considered "Blue Collar" and such non-sense wasn't appreciated. It's just my opinion (and I know for a fact that it is one shared by many fans) but I  feel that the "Ocho Act" isn't a good fit in New England. It was fine in Cincinnati and may work well in other places but it doesn't belong here. Let the play on the field do the talking, the rest is bull-snot. Remember, Randy Moss was sent packing for being far less of a distraction than CJ has already been.

Well my favorite Pats player is still Jim Nance so we're even there. I just happen to think this whole "Ocho is a distraction" PROBLEM is a media creation. The whole "Ocho Act in New England" is a media creation and has no basis in reality. You can choose to be swayed by the media, and that includes Bruschi, but I choose to believe TB and BB when they say he's working hard and coming along.  

One other comment, how the "H-E-double hockey sticks" is Moss shooting his way out of town not more of a distraction than a tweet that says "Wow my team is great"? And I ask this because that is pretty much the extent of his real antics which are a lot different from the media innuendo antics that are probably not really happening but sell lots of advertising.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85 : Well my favorite Pats player is still Jim Nance so we're even there. I just happen to think this whole "Ocho is a distraction" PROBLEM is a media creation. The whole "Ocho Act in New England" is a media creation and has no basis in reality. You can choose to be swayed by the media, and that includes Bruschi, but I choose to believe TB and BB when they say he's working hard and coming along.   One other comment, how the "H-E-double hockey sticks" is Moss shooting his way out of town not more of a distraction than a tweet that says "Wow my team is great"? And I ask this because that is pretty much the extent of his real antics which are a lot different from the media innuendo antics that are probably not really happening but sell lots of advertising.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

OK, admittedly Moss is a bad analogy and I retract the statement.

Yes, most of the furor surrounding Johnson is, no doubt, media diven. But, (and once again, this is just my opinion) I feel that much of this could have been avoided before it started if he had just left "Ocho" back in Cincinnatti where he belongs.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]I really don't care about Bruschi or what anyone else at ESPN has to say and I agree that whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Please don't compare me to or confuse me with any of them. It's like I said I'm an old school crank and look at things differently than many younger folks. For me the entertainment value is in the game itself. If that's not enough for you, if you need all that HEY MA, LOOK AT ME! AIN'T I SOMETHIN SPECIAL stuff, then maybe you just don't care all that much about football. When I was growing up anyone who acted that way, especially in the professional ranks, would have been called a damn fool and wouldn't have been around very long. I know, I know. Different times. Part of the trouble with Johnson (and as far as I'm concerned, that's his name no matter what he chooses to call himself) is that he came with this baggage that has nothing to do with playing football. I can't help feeling that if he had done what he said he would do in January and gone back to his original name, taken a different number, and cooled it on the twitter for a while, that a lot of this controversy would never have occurred. Because he has chosen to hang on to the Ocho persona, many people that I know don't take him seriously. Say what you want, it is a distraction. But, hey, I'm getiing old. My time is passing. I think it's a shame that football isn't enough anymore, that it's not as much about playing the game as it is about the games people play. If that's the case why not just bring in T.O., turn the whole thing into a circus and let the clowns run the show.

Thank you for the input and essentially proving my point.
    There have always been colorful players in football.  There is now, there was back then and there always will be.
    The only difference between the good ol days and now, is the social media.
    Blame that, not the players with personalities. 
    It doesn't make them less a player, it only makes them more open to criticism.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85 : Thank you for the input and essentially proving my point. There have always been colorful players in football.  There is now, there was back then and there always will be. The only difference between the good ol days and now, is the social media. Blame that, not the players with personalities.  It doesn't make them less a player, it only makes them more open to criticism.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Thank you. You have made my point in return. It is the social media (society) that is to blame. It is no longer an individual's responsibility to accept the consequences of his actions.  The good new days?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85 : Thank you. You have made my point in return. It is the social media (society) that is to blame. It is no longer an individual's responsibility to accept the consequences of his actions.  The good new days?

Absolutely!  People should take responsibility for their actions.  There's way too little of that going on.
    I just can't figure out what you think he did that's so wrong.
    Sure his antics in Cincy may have been what caused this but I just don't see what he's done wrong here.
    Sure he only caught one measly ball Monday (it was a nice one) but so did Slater, whose been in the system for years.
    Now Slater is on a pedestal and Ocho is a bum.  Why?
    Cuz Bruschi said so?  Not buying it.
    Hey, I want him to bust out too and am a little weary about that.  I just don't think his tweet, or his number, or his name has anything to do with it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mr Johnson, Ocho, And The Number 85 : Absolutely!  People should take responsibility for their actions.  There's way too little of that going on. I just can't figure out what you think he did that's so wrong. Sure his antics in Cincy may have been what caused this but I just don't see what he's done wrong here. Sure he only caught one measly ball Monday (it was a nice one) but so did Slater, whose been in the system for years. Now Slater is on a pedestal and Ocho is a bum.  Why? Cuz Bruschi said so?  Not buying it. Hey, I want him to bust out too and am a little weary about that.  I just don't think his tweet, or his number, or his name has anything to do with it.
    Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOTE]

Show me where I said he's a bum. Show me where I quoted Bruschi. Slater is on a pedestal? Who said that. Have you actually read what I wrote? Don't put words in my mouth, so to speak. I know he wasn't thrown to much in the last game. Yes, that was a beautiful catch that he made. I know he is working hard to learn the system and I have every confidence that he will. I'm not talking about his abilities as a football player. I'm talking about his unwillingness or worse, his inability to let go of some of his ego, his childish need to always be the center of attention, and to simply be one member of a team. You say that Belichick traded for the whole package and knew what he was getting. On the flip side Johnson knew where he was going and knew that he would be expected to conform to a standard. He should have known that in coming to New England it would be football first, second, tenth, fiftieth, eighty-fifth... you get the picture and so should he. If it's more important for him to be THE STAR, then it might have been best if he sought another destination because it just ain't gonna be that way here. You say it's not his number or his name. I say it is. You say it's not his one tweet and with that I agree. It's his whole twitter addiction. You say he is not and has not been a distraction. I say that is highly debatable. You want to see me as alone in thinking this way. I am not. I know quite a few long time Patriot fans who feel much as I do. They just don't post here.
    Lastly, you seem to want to believe that I hate the man. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It's just that at this point I question whether his commitment is to being a member of a winning organization, or to himself and the image he has created.

I mistakenly posted before I had finished and apologize for the edit.

Sections
Shortcuts