Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?

your all a  bunch of WINNERS. Moss should talk!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?

chuckfairbanks - so you're basing the Kraft's reluctance on signing big ticket free agents on one isolated case. Wow!! Also, even though I agree that Seymour wasn't the same player after he signed the big extention PLEASE remember that in a BB defense stats are not important and unless you are an experienced defensive line coach who's espertise is in the 3/4(are you?) than who are we to judge if Seymour lived up to his contract-although I agree it certainly didn't look like he did. We need more examples other than Seymour to make your aurgument valid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Name ANYONE who doesn't want more money!

All of us here posting comments would love our employer to lavish us with more pay every year.  It is human nature.  This is also a business venture with business decisions.  I am certain some of you posting here are also business owners who have to answer to employee demands and you can't please them all.  Some will remain loyal because the environment they enjoy provides more than just income satisfaction.  Going to another employer just for the money may result in being in an environment no where near as pleasing and you wish you had that "whole" happy picture back.  There are probably many players who want to be part of a winning organization first and the pay will follow.  Others would rather get "paid" first and if they are part of a winning team, well, that is a bonus.  Tom Brady has the winning first mentatility, for example, and he will enjoy countless rewards after retirement.  The history of the NFL is littered with more players who went for the money and never achieved stardom on a winning team than those who opted for being part of a winning franchise while making a VERY good living.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Moss is not revealing anything new.  The Patriots "have not paid" top dollar for their players for a long time.

I think, more importantly, are the Patriots going to be able to re-create the hard-nosed, ball-hawking team that they had during their super bowl years.  The Patriots no longer have that hunger or "elite team" status (for the time being). Time will tell if they have the foresight to change enough things to bring back that team chemistry and hunger.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

It's all about the up front money!  Bob Kraft has tiny little gnome arms and a philosophy of keeping that money for himself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

With a potential lockout year coming in 2011 why would the Pats - or any other team - offer big money multiple-year contracts to any player (except TB) that they can tie up via other means in 2010.  For new contracts they would have to pay big bonuses or guarantees covering a year when there would be no games.  Plus they would not know how those contracts would affect the team's finances/cap with a new CBA.  In today's game the only truly irreplaceable player is the QB.

Fork - tag
    Mankins - qualifying offer
    Gost - qualifying offer

For those that feel this may eliminate the possibility to later resign these players for a longer term deal, IT IS STILL ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.  Assuming a new CBA does not prohibit it, any one of these players could still be tagged again so there is still a good negotiating tool for achieving a long term contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The other option besides letting Moss walk is to just tag him for 2011.  Based on current numbers he'd get about $9.5MM which is roughly what we paid him for the past three years.  He's at the point in his career where you only want to give him a one year deal.  This is of course assuming we've locked Brady up by then, otherwise, we'd need to tag Brady instead.  I can't see us tagging Mankins next year and paying over $8MM for a OG.  We could just keep tagging VW I guess and pay him 20% more each year.  But aside from Brady, Wilfork or Moss, there is no one else worthy of tagging next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

In Response to Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?:
    In Response to Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents? : I agree that it keeps them competitive, but what does it do to the moral of players when they know that no matter how they might preform that being on this team will not give them a big paycheck. Seeing Moss who is usually very quiet now opening up and sounding like he is not happy with this team says bunches. I hope we dont fall backwards
    Posted by Stompper

COMPLETLY WRONG. Moral of the players??? LOOK at most of the FA's we've let go... they have all gotten paid big time leaving here and most of them have not lived up to those contracts. So if i was a player, i'd wanna come to the pats for a year or two, because i know, when i leave, i'll get a bigger payday from an idiot out there...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Look, heres the bottom line.. @ moss' age... its not a smart decision giving him alot of money and he knows that, but theres a team out there who will give him alot of money, and he knows that too... Its quite simple. I love moss, but if he wants his last big contract, good luck to him!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

In Response to Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents?:
    Look, heres the bottom line.. @ moss' age... its not a smart decision giving him alot of money and he knows that, but theres a team out there who will give him alot of money, and he knows that too... Its quite simple. I love moss, but if he wants his last big contract, good luck to him!
    Posted by Coolguy55220

I dont disagree with you with him getting older and injuries starting to mount on him. I just wonder if this team is starting to implode with Patriot players starting to voice their own opinions. I as you do, hope they can obtain some heavy duty talent in this draft, hopefully vicious style players that want to play the old style smash mouth football.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

In Response to Re: Mr Kraft hits CrossRoad- Moss tells it like it is. Now what happens to the Patriots and Free Agents? : I dont disagree with you with him getting older and injuries starting to mount on him. I just wonder if this team is starting to implode with Patriot players starting to voice their own opinions. I as you do, hope they can obtain some heavy duty talent in this draft, hopefully vicious style players that want to play the old style smash mouth football.
    Posted by Stompper

Agreed... 2010 and 2011 drafts should set the pats up for the next 5-6 years, i believe. 2009 draft brought a good amount of talent, in my opinion. We need stabilize our OL, get some explosiveness on Defense and Offense(pass rushers who can get to the QB, and playmakers who can make the big stops when necessary, and RB/WR/TE's who can make big plays on the offensive side)
    Pats are not that far off, if they find couple of gems this year, along with oakland's pick next yr, they will b back in the superbowl favorites discussion after next season... 
    Alot depends on this draft, BB's first draft - pioli was a decent one in my opinion, hopefully he can build on it and have a great draft this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Moss didnt call his employer cheap. Go back and read the comments. Talk about creating something out of nothing. If the Pats make improvements this year and get back to the playoffs with a legit shot at winning it all but fall just shy, like in 07, then we would probably resign him because he would probably take less in that ONE situation. But if we are rebuilding and it looks like we may not be legitimate Super Bowl contenders then why would we or should we pay big dollars for a guy who (by himself) isnt enough to put us over the rest of the teams. It is really a simple equation. If we are close and he is a difference maker then we resign him but if not... thankyou for the highlight catches-it was a true pleasure watching you play.      Alot of smart posters have pointed out that B.B. has a certain value assigned for every position on the team. If Vince doesnt exceed that value he will be back. If he does then he wont. We will simply find another player or scheme to make up for the loss. That being said.. Nose tackle is the MOST important postion in a 3-4. I'm not a coach but our Head Coach has stated this in the past as well as other NFL personnel familiar with a 3-4. So there is a good chance we do resign Vince to a big contract that is front loaded for this upcoming uncapped year. He is one of the best at his position and young enough to justify a big multi year contract. We did give Seymour a huge contract (at the time) when his rookie deal was up and though he eventually left we had him for his best years and I feel Vince better represents the Patriot Way so I hope they feel he is worth the money and I also hope he doesnt ask for too much. Go Pats!!! Bring on the draft!!
    Posted by dshort3333

I am not sure about Wilfork any longer. Yes, hes a great NT, and yes BB has stated that its the most important position, but maybe the league has changed enough that its not efficient to pay a NT the record breaking contract. More passing makes the NT less valuable and Ends who can rush like Freeney more valuable. 
    I think what defenses now need is good secondary + pass rushers. Most teams cant beat you by running the ball down your throat any longer. Its all about stopping the pass, and having decent run stoppers. 

Sections
Shortcuts