multiple London games in 2010,and possible London franchise team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

multiple London games in 2010,and possible London franchise team?

when is enough,enough?the NFL is america,s game.the games that are played in london,take away from the fans here.and they had a european football league that went under.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/m/2009/09/03/multiple-london-games-could-be-coming-in-2010/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

Re: multiple London games in 2010,and possible London franchise team?

In Response to multiple London games in 2010,and possible London franchise team?:
    [QUOTE]when is enough,enough?the NFL is america,s game.the games that are played in london,take away from the fans here.and they had a european football league that went under. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/m/2009/09/03/multiple-london-games-could-be-coming-in-2010/
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

I am amazed that there isn't a huge uproar about this. I agree with you 100%.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Here's my perception of the NFL's logic:
    -We hold NFL games in London
    -A lot of British people attend the game
    >>>London has enough fan base to support a football franchise

A closer look at BOTH points reveals a different, much more dubitable story
    (1) They only hold one game a year in London, so it's something of a spectacle
    (2) People attend because it's the only game, but I'd be damned if they were going to skip out on watching the big match between Arsenal and Man U to follow an American football team

Also,
    WHAT ARE WEST COAST TEAMS GOING TO DO TO TRAVEL THERE?  AND WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO TO TRAVEL EVERYWHERE?  A team in London is a logistical nightmare.

While I realize the ill logic of assuming a London franchise would fail just because the European Football League (minor league football with no-name players) failed, I think the solution if their hearts were set on having teams in Europe would be to create a system like the AL and NL in baseball with a separate but equal league in Europe that plays the American team for the championship.  Even then, it would require even more risk because they'd be wagering that multiple teams would succeed.

I just don't think teams in Europe are feasible.  I don't think international games will go beyond being showcases to help keep some sort of contact and exposure for the league elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlickWillie. Show SlickWillie's posts

I'm an american living in London and it's amazing watching the NFL played here. Brits and Europeans in general are psycho about their sports and they Digg NFL. 
    Watching the NFL vs NFL Europe is like watching MLB vs little league.

It's good for the game, it's good for the teams, it's good for America.   America doesn't have many products to export, so export the NFL and make some money off of it and create some good will in Europe again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I don't really care for the concept frankly.  They're not trying to important their European Soccer leagues over here.  I think it would be too difficult.  What division would they be in - ours??

The only way it would work is if all the dysfunctional franchises and some expansion teams were relocated and opened, respectively, in European cities.  Then, these franchises would need to operate like the old school AL and NL without Interleague play.  There is no way teams on the West Coast aren't going to flip out about potentially flying over there a few times a year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

In Response to Re: multiple London games in 2010,and possible London franchise team?:
    [QUOTE]I'm an american living in London and it's amazing watching the NFL played here. Brits and Europeans in general are psycho about their sports and they Digg NFL.  Watching the NFL vs NFL Europe is like watching MLB vs little league. It's good for the game, it's good for the teams, it's good for America.   America doesn't have many products to export, so export the NFL and make some money off of it and create some good will in Europe again.
    Posted by SlickWillie[/QUOTE]

The NFL is I believe by any definition extremely successful.  This would be about nothing more than greed.  What you leave out is who would be hurt by this, the fans. I don't know about patriots fans, but I feel safe in assuming that the majority of Steeler fans would not want to lose even one home game a year.

I would be curious to know how many of you would support a campaign to try and stop this. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Who remembers Spaceballs?

It's all about the marketing.

A full-time NFL franchise anywhere in Europe would be a logistical nightmare of epic proportions. However, brief occasional exposure and the illusion that there might one day be a European franchise will sell a lot of merchandise.

Follow the money, kids.

Always.

Sections
Shortcuts