Musings on $16M

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Musings on $16M

Was thinking about this yesterday - TB has basically just signed a FA contract with Revis worth $16M per year. What else could they have done with that money for their defensive backfield? Think of it this way ... they could have signed any three of these CBs or Safeties in free agancy this year and not given up a first and four/third draft pick. And probably had a enough money left over to sign the #13 draft pick to a four year deal.

Sean Smith, Talib, Moore, Grimes, Cox, Houston, Asomougha, Toler, DRC, Williams, Reed

Or any other DB you care to choose.

Is Revis better than any of these - if he can return to pre-injury form - yes. But is he better than three of them combined ... I doubt it. And certainly not better than three plus the #13 pick in this years draft.

And just one more point - they are now paying two defensive backs $25M/year (Revis 16M and Goldson $9M.) That represents almost 50% of a teams total defensive salary cap. If you figure offensive and defensive cap at $110M plus injured players plus dead money plus special teams (P, K, LS) that works out to $55M on defense. So after Revis and Goldson you have $30M left for 9 starters and 15 reserves. That is pretty tight to build a team!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Musings on $16M

Frankly I don't think the money is the dumbest part of this deal since none of it was guaranteed.  The dumb part is that they gave up their 1st round pick.  They were the only team in the market for Revis so the Jets had to take their offer or get nothing.  The only reason you trade picks for a guy like that is if you are afraid you might not get him in FA.  Harvin was a good example.  With Revis though given the market for corners this past offseason there is no way that any other team was going to pay him as much as Tampa was.  So they basically gave up a top 15 pick for one year of Revis.  Insanity imo.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

I've looked around for NFL Top Money Players and it was a little confusing because of the differences between Base Salary vs. Bonus money etc.  But I did find this piece from Forbes which is from the end of 2012.  I added how many Super Bowl Victories for each player.  This is an older list and does not include players who like Joe Flacco QB who signed a massive contract this year.  (I think Flacco's contract probably pushed Brady out of the Top Ten.)  

#1 Drew Brees QB = 1 Super Bowl Win

#2 Peyton Manning QB = 1 Super Bowl Win

#3 Haloti Ngata DT, NT = 1 Super Bowl Win *

#4 Larry Fitzgerald WR = 0 Super Bowl Win

#5 Ndamukong Suh DT = 0 Super Bowl Win

#6 Charles Johnson DE = 0 Super Bowl Win

#7 Mario Williams DE = 0 Super Bowl Win

#8 Darrelle Revis CB = 0 Super Bowl Win **

#9 Sam Bradford QB = 0 Super Bowl Win

#10 Tom Brady QB = 3 Super Bowl Wins ***

* Ngata is the plays for an otherwise Strong NFL Team in the Ravens

** Revis has moved up on the list with his latest contract.

*** The Active Player with the most Super Bowl Wins is probably not in the Top Ten Paid List.

Lastly 4 of the top ten are QB's and none of the top ten was able to win a Super Bowl without a surrounding cast of really good players and coaching.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45jeik/1-drew-brees/

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

The mistake you and the media are making is the idea that it's not guaranteed. It is. They're not going to rent him for 2 years and then just say "he's not worth the 16 million".  Not happening. They just gave up a 1st rd pick for him.

This is what I mean when I say it's not just the compensation but what you end up paying the player.

They're all in and Revis knows it. He can stay chubby (he's overweight right now) and just show up to camp every year with his name on the back of the jersey and they still won't cut him. This is as much a Dolphins kind of approach as it is acquiring a great CB for the next 5 years.

Florida is a very tricky market.  Their fans are finicky.  Some choose the beach over going to a game if the team doesn't have big names on the jersey.

It's moronic to pay a CB 16 mil per guaranteed when you know you don't have a QB and knowing a good QB costs 12-20 mil.

Obviously unless Revis falls off a dam cliff they are going to pay him given the draft compensation they gave up, but my point was that given the money they were willing to shell out and the fact that no one else was interested in trading they basically gave up a top 15 pick for 1 year of Revis.  They could have easily had him next season because there is no way another team was going to shell out that kind of money.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Except Revis on the open market could mean a price more than the 16 mil. Maybe not much more, but all it takes is one more moron franchise who has to get up to a cap floor to go wild.

It takes both a moronic GM AND a team with a boat load of cap space. That cuts out most of the moronic GMs. I really do not see another team that would have been willing to pay Revis $16M per year, and that is not just cash but also cap space, since there was no guaranteed money each year he is there he cost 16M against the cap.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I agree that TB pulled a Tannenbaum. You cant pay 2 players 50% of the D payroll. It is just plain foolhardy. Too bad the Jets didnt pony up the money for Revis. 6 to 9 wins a year are just fine.

Now TB will fall into the trap. Too bad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Jets Jets Jets Jets ...I thought this was the patriots forum?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Hey king- I see your obsession with everything NY Jets is till alive and well. Did you keep your Tebow jersey?LOL

Sections
Shortcuts