Must Continue to Get Younger and Faster on Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinalpap. Show spinalpap's posts

Must Continue to Get Younger and Faster on Defense

The D could be pretty good as the 1st team D played well in the preseason or they could give up long bombs and 30 + point a game....we just dont know for sure. They could also start off badly but get better as the season goes on.

Either way I would rather lose with a young defense that can improve than lose with a bunch of old slow guys who are past their prime.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Re: Must Continue to Get Younger and Faster on Defense

Would you rather have had Seymour for a year and then lose him to FA, or trade him now and get a possible top ten draft pick?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I have no opinion on this topic that I care to share, but I would like to mention that NoahJustin's Yoda reference is probably the best advice you will ever get.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

In Response to Must Continue to Get Younger and Faster on Defense:
    [QUOTE]The D could be pretty good as the 1st team D played well in the preseason or they could give up long bombs and 30 + point a game....we just dont know for sure. They could also start off badly but get better as the season goes on. Either way I would rather lose with a young defense that can improve than lose with a bunch of old slow guys who are past their prime.
    Posted by spinalpap[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have a defense that can get off the field on 3rd down.  That being said, this unit doesn't look too bad, though it will be interesting to see how the seymour trade affects that.

The pick should be in the top 10 in 2011 and hopefully there will be a rookie pay scale in place, if that's the case, then this was a steal for the Pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

Rebuilding is an emotional and necessary part of the game. If you have to rebuild a defense then it's better to rebuild while you have a once in a    generation offense. With this offense you could spot most team at least 20 points and still come out on top.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

There was no doubt the Pats could not keep Seymour, Wilfork and Green after '09.  Sey was going to be the most expensive of the bunch plus he's pushing 30.  Since it appears we have good depth on the DL, moving him now for a 2011 #1 makes business sense.  The flip side is I expect our defense to be worse, not better this year especially in the secondary.  That said, we need to try to win every year that we still have Brady.  The offense will have to carry us this year as the defense is now just middle-of-the-road, IMO.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

In Response to Re: Must Continue to Get Younger and Faster on Defense:
    [QUOTE]There was no doubt the Pats could not keep Seymour, Wilfork and Green after '09.  Sey was going to be the most expensive of the bunch plus he's pushing 30.  Since it appears we have good depth on the DL, moving him now for a 2011 #1 makes business sense.  The flip side is I expect our defense to be worse, not better this year especially in the secondary.  That said, we need to try to win every year that we still have Brady.  The offense will have to carry us this year as the defense is now just middle-of-the-road, IMO.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Yah I agree because the same thing happened in '07...the offense carried the D...So I'd rather have this offense carry a young and improving D.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE] ....The flip side is I expect our defense to be worse, not better this year especially in the secondary....  
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Really?  They were terrible last year.  Hard to be much worse than that.  Bodden can't be worse than O'Neal can he?

'

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i whole heartedly disagree with people who say that the secondary will be worse than it has been in seasons past. aside from the 4th preseason game (2nd 3rd 4th stringers) the defense has done nothing to make me believe that they will be worse than last year. in fact i am a strong believer that they will be better

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Yes...the defense must get younger...and better. To use a basketball analogy...remember the Celtics of the 80s? Management hung on to the "Big 3" much longer than they should have. As a result, the Celts became the Oakland Raiders of the NBA...and were in a deep funk as an organization for 20 long years.

Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, and Rodney Harrison were all great Patriot players. But the time comes when the team must move on...and do whats' best for the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]     Yes...the defense must get younger...and better. To use a basketball analogy...remember the Celtics of the 80s? Management hung on to the "Big 3" much longer than they should have. As a result, the Celts became the Oakland Raiders of the NBA...and were in a deep funk as an organization for 20 long years.      Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, and Rodney Harrison were all great Patriot players. But the time comes when the team must move on...and do whats' best for the team.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I expect the Patriots D to be suspect thru the first half of the season but improve greatly towards the end. We truly have been bad the last 2 years and been blessed by an awesome offense to cover up for some of that. These guys have talent and speed that can be coached up with hard work and practice. I hate to use a cliche but you can't coach speed and we were hurting in that area last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nastee. Show nastee's posts

Len Bias, Reggie Lewis, Rick Pitino.

That's what happened to the Celtics.

[QUOTE]     Yes...the defense must get younger...and better. To use a basketball analogy...remember the Celtics of the 80s? Management hung on to the "Big 3" much longer than they should have. As a result, the Celts became the Oakland Raiders of the NBA...and were in a deep funk as an organization for 20 long years.      Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, and Rodney Harrison were all great Patriot players. But the time comes when the team must move on...and do whats' best for the team.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]Len Bias, Reggie Lewis, Rick Pitino. That's what happened to the Celtics. In Response to Re: Must Continue to Get Younger and Faster on Defense :
    Posted by nastee[/QUOTE]

I understand from a business point of view that getting a 1st round pick and saving millions next year is a good idea. Let's not forget that Adalius Thomas was 30 when he started playing for us. I do not remember anyone saying it was a lousy signing because Adalius was too old. Even today people post that Adalius at 32 is a stud. I think we should be honest - Seymour at 29 is not the same as Bruschi at 36. Galloway is 38 in November and a lot of guys on this board like him.
    Seymour is not over the hill - Seymour is a 5 time Pro Bowler; Thomas is a 2 time Pro Bowler.

I understand the business side and think this might be the right thing to do, but let's be honest and give Seymour his props. This is going to hurt in the short-term and Seymour is a great player that is not on the backside of his career.

Sections
Shortcuts