my 2 cents on vick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

my 2 cents on vick

i am quite on the fence with the whole vick coming back issue. frankly i think the suspension is a joke. its a slap on the wrist, the man just did two years in prison and then you suspend him for a few games?  you either suspend him for at least a season, or continue a long term "indefinate" suspension, or you dont do it at all. it just seems foolish to me.

and for my other cent,even 5 years from now assuming vick lasts that long, i dont think i could watch him on sunday without remembering what he did. im all for second chances, i believe people can change (not that i think prison is really a good place to do that but hey its the system) but where is the line?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: my 2 cents on vick

I totally agree with your first point. I thought that suspending him for this entire season was what Goodell was going to do. Four games is merely a token, a bone (no pun intended) thrown to those who don't think he should be able to waltz right back into the league after his sentence is done.

For myself, I would have no problem with a lifetime ban, though that might seem harsh compared to other incidents around the league. But I have to admit that I'm somewhat biased. I have had animals (dogs and cats) all my adult life. I currently have 3 dogs and 9 cats, and if anyone tried to hurt one of them they would find themselves buried in my back yard! My little "furry bastids" (as I call them) are closer to me than any people I know, save my immediate family. I think what Vick did is reprehensible, and God help him if I found him around my dogs, because he may still be fast, but not faster than a .357!

My biggest problem is that the man still does not seem (to me) to be remorseful for his actions. Sure, he's "sorry" he was caught, but I do not feel he grasps the fact that what he did to other living creatures is so sick. Maybe he's merely reading a line written by his lawyers, but I don't see it coming from the heart.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now (it being Saturday and I'm a day early I guess). I don't believe he'll have the success he hopes for in the NFL. I was never a big fan of his, though he did make some exciting plays. I only hope (and guess) that he will never be a part of my favorite team, as I'd be quite torn between my loyalty (being a Patriots fan since the 60s), and my disgust for this sick individual.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Down here half the people are still loyal to Vick. I never thought he was a good qb. He was a great football player, but not a good qb in my opinion. When he took Atlanta to the SB he was new to the NFL. Nobody had every seen anyone like him and he was very difficult to stop. But like the wildcat offense after awhile everyone adjusted and now he was just an average qb who if he was 2 scores down with under 5 minutes left the game was over. But I think Vick has in effect just been suspended 36 games. I guess with the light suspension from King Goodell he felt the same but had to punish him somehow.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

In Response to Re: my 2 cents on vick:
    [QUOTE]Down here half the people are still loyal to Vick. I never thought he was a good qb. He was a great football player, but not a good qb in my opinion. When he took Atlanta to the SB he was new to the NFL. Nobody had every seen anyone like him and he was very difficult to stop. But like the wildcat offense after awhile everyone adjusted and now he was just an average qb who if he was 2 scores down with under 5 minutes left the game was over. But I think Vick has in effect just been suspended 36 games. I guess with the light suspension from King Goodell he felt the same but had to punish him somehow.
    Posted by ricky1554atl[/QUOTE]

I'm in SC, so people around here don't like Vick to begin with, being Panthers fans. I agree with your assessment, though Vick only took them to the NFCCG in Philly after the 04 season. It was Chandler who took them to the SB in 99, where they got smoked by Elway and the Broncos. Vick may be suited to this wildcat fad, but I predict that it will be shortlived. Most copycat "tricks" taken from the NCAA are. We all saw in the second NE/Miami game, and the WC playoff game with the Ravens that a good defense can contain it. I still don't see Vick having any great success in the NFL. And most likely he'll only land a job as a backup somewhere. Plus the fact that he's almost 30, and with his style of play he takes more hits than most QBs do. But I wouldn't shed a tear if he's out of the league next season!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: my 2 cents on vick : I'm in SC, so people around here don't like Vick to begin with, being Panthers fans. I agree with your assessment, though Vick only took them to the NFCCG in Philly after the 04 season. It was Chandler who took them to the SB in 99, where they got smoked by Elway and the Broncos. Vick may be suited to this wildcat fad, but I predict that it will be shortlived. Most copycat "tricks" taken from the NCAA are. We all saw in the second NE/Miami game, and the WC playoff game with the Ravens that a good defense can contain it. I still don't see Vick having any great success in the NFL. And most likely he'll only land a job as a backup somewhere. Plus the fact that he's almost 30, and with his style of play he takes more hits than most QBs do. But I wouldn't shed a tear if he's out of the league next season!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

No I don't see Vick having much success in the NFL either. But you know someone will pick up this defective excuse for a human being. Probably Oakland. Davis is a mad man.
    Thanks for the correction on Vick taking them to the SB. It was Chandler. I'm getting old.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I agree what Vick did was horrendous. But according to the laws of our country, he has paid his debt to society, and he has paid severly. I am dog lover also, but some people dont see them the same as I do. To some people they are just a really low form of life. (this is most likely the atmosphere they were brought up in). The only thing that I would have done differently, if i were the judge, is made Vick goe to an animal shelter and make him work with animals and be around people who truly care about and understand animals. I dont know What kind of person Michael Vick is. But I would bet he isnt quite the monster some people make him out to be. (I could be wrong). Although I am fairly certain I would'nt blow his head off with a 357 if he got near my dog.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Oakland is a good place for him. And you're right, Al Davis is definitely more than a bit senile. Vick is his type of player, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

[QUOTE]I agree what Vick did was horrendous. But according to the laws of our country, he has paid his debt to society, and he has paid severly. I am dog lover also, but some people dont see them the same as I do. To some people they are just a really low form of life. (this is most likely the atmosphere they were brought up in). The only thing that I would have done differently, if i were the judge, is made Vick goe to an animal shelter and make him work with animals and be around people who truly care about and understand animals. I dont know What kind of person Michael Vick is. But I would bet he isnt quite the monster some people make him out to be. (I could be wrong). Although I am fairly certain I would'nt blow his head off with a 357 if he got near my dog.
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

I have three dogs. I totally understand bubs' comment. But anyone who would do what he has done IS a monster. I don't need to know him personally.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I dont know What kind of person Michael Vick is. But I would bet he isnt quite the monster some people make him out to be. (I could be wrong). Although I am fairly certain I would'nt blow his head off with a 357 if he got near my dog.

It isn't just the fact that he killed the dogs. I realize that there are people out there who indeed look at animals as "lower forms" of life. I don't really agree with that, but I respect their right to their opinions. But it is the way he killed these dogs which bothers me the most. Electrocuting them, drowning them, and starving them simply because they weren't "killing machines" that would make him money? To me that is reprehensible, and in my mind makes him the same type of "monster" as sickos who torture other people, especially children. Because dogs (other than feral ones) are much like children. They depend on you for food, care, and love. A good dog will protect you, comfort you when you're not feeling well, and be one of the best friends you could ever have (not to mention they won't try to steal from you, hit on your wife, or try to take advantage of you the way a lot of "friends" will). And he did these things for what? Money! As if the $100 million plus contract wasn't enough for him! And while I was exagerrating about the .357, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use a Louisville Slugger on someone who tried to hurt one of my animals. I've never met Vick either, but I also never met Charles Manson. And I'd never "bet" Charlie wasn't a "monster"! His actions are enough basis for my opinion. So, I deem, are Vick's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This, like much of what Goodell does, appears completely arbitrary. For those who see no problem with Vick returning to potential glory and riches in the NFL, I would guess that, should they be convicted of a felony, their jobs would likely not be waiting for them when they returned from their federal vacation. For those who feel that torturing dogs is an abomination, I might remind them that most of the rest of the world considers dog very good eating, and large segments of the population would condemn you as a monster for eating a cow or a pig.

So, I guess it's all relative.

Let the guy play. He s*cks anyway. He'll be gone soon enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

For those who feel that torturing dogs is an abomination, I might remind them that most of the rest of the world considers dog very good eating, and large segments of the population would condemn you as a monster for eating a cow or a pig.

I don't know about "most of the rest of the world". I do know it is somewhat common in Asia, and I'd imagine a dog in a starving third world country may well wind up as dinner. The only place I've heard of that finds eating a cow disgusting is India, as they seem to believe their grandmothers are reincarnated as cows. Go figure! There are a lot of hungry people in India, I've heard. In any case, when I want a steak, I don't go out and drown or electrocute a cow, nor do I wait for it to die of starvation before sending it to the butcher! And Vick and his cronies were not eating these dogs, they were bred for the sole purpose of making money. There is a big difference there, IMO. But I do agree that he will be gone soon enough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]I dont know What kind of person Michael Vick is. But I would bet he isnt quite the monster some people make him out to be. (I could be wrong). Although I am fairly certain I would'nt blow his head off with a 357 if he got near my dog. It isn't just the fact that he killed the dogs. I realize that there are people out there who indeed look at animals as "lower forms" of life. I don't really agree with that, but I respect their right to their opinions. But it is the way he killed these dogs which bothers me the most. Electrocuting them, drowning them, and starving them simply because they weren't "killing machines" that would make him money? To me that is reprehensible, and in my mind makes him the same type of "monster" as sickos who torture other people, especially children. Because dogs (other than feral ones) are much like children. They depend on you for food, care, and love. A good dog will protect you, comfort you when you're not feeling well, and be one of the best friends you could ever have (not to mention they won't try to steal from you, hit on your wife, or try to take advantage of you the way a lot of "friends" will). And he did these things for what? Money! As if the $100 million plus contract wasn't enough for him! And while I was exagerrating about the .357, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use a Louisville Slugger on someone who tried to hurt one of my animals. I've never met Vick either, but I also never met Charles Manson. And I'd never "bet" Charlie wasn't a "monster"! His actions are enough basis for my opinion. So, I deem, are Vick's.
    Point taken

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodwon1. Show goodwon1's posts

Come on fools he already lost everything let him try to recoup some  money. Roger is a phony. He already has been suspended for 2 years please help me understand godells feelings that 4 games is going to change anything but make the NFL looks like fools

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I agree with Mike here.  Let him have the opportunity to play.  The suspension is the token response from league, but the fact remains that he has served society which is significantly larger than the NFL at large. 

Additionally, this is not a Michael Milkin issue where he broke the law/rules of his profession.  He does not deserve a ban and his time served exceeds any suspension other  than a full ban. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Give him a second chance..... Wife beating is worse then what Vick did,
    We have had more then few of them in the NFL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Give him a second chance..... Wife beating is worse then what Vick did,
    We have had more then few of them in the NFL

Using that logic, we should release rapists and kidnappers from prison because "more than a few" murderers have walked on their crimes, and murder is "worse"?

But seriously, I think all the wife beaters should be suspended, too!

Just one more point to ponder. Although I abhor any man beating on a woman, at least most of these women were not chained to anchors in their back yards when hubby beat them. Most of them have the option to leave, yet choose not to do so. Again, I don't condone the act, but let's not downplay the severity of what Vick did to those helpless dogs! If it were up to me all these a-holes would be banned from the league. I'm sure the games would be just as enjoyable without these few morons!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "Although I abhor any man beating on a woman, at least most of these women were not chained to anchors in their back yards when hubby beat them." --

What I like about this post is that it implies that at least some of them were. The scary part is I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were true.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

You cannot blame Vick for all the dog fighting going on in America, which is what some people want to do.They are everywhere Down South, Inner City, rural America. What Goddell" the jerk" has not realized, is not just the Dogfighting, but to focus on the Torture of helpless animals. Torture by drowning, starvation , or Electrocution comes only from a Sociopathic mind. Vick should be banned for life for this type of reckless brutality on helpless Dogs, that only want to please their masters.This Scumbag Mother F#$@R needs to be treated likewise by the public. Why has there been no threat of Boycot by the public towards the owner of any team that signs this AHOLE. Carrying a Gun, Making it rain, hitting your wife, Taking Steroids, are all wrong and Illegal. But ask youself, do these make you a Psychopath. TORTURE. Did Jeffrey Dahmer deserve a second Chance. Kill once and you will Kill again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

[QUOTE]Come on fools he already lost everything let him try to recoup some  money. Roger is a phony. He already has been suspended for 2 yearsPosted by goodwon1[/QUOTE]

For one...Jail sentance for a crime he DID commit IS NOT and SHOULD NOT be part of an NFL suspension/penalty! NOW is the time for his NFL punishment! And for your first comment on letting him recoup some money...Does any helpless american who lost all their savings in this current/past years stock market get to "RECOUP" thier money that they lost???  I know you will say how is this relavent or the same? Because even these people in their respective fields can't even get another job or the opportunity to "RECOUP" thier savings like you say MV should be allowed!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

[QUOTE]Give him a second chance..... Wife beating is worse then what Vick did, We have had more then few of them in the NFL Using that logic, we should release rapists and kidnappers from prison because "more than a few" murderers have walked on their crimes, and murder is "worse"? But seriously, I think all the wife beaters should be suspended, too! Just one more point to ponder. Although I abhor any man beating on a woman, at least most of these women were not chained to anchors in their back yards when hubby beat them. Most of them have the option to leave, yet choose not to do so. Again, I don't condone the act, but let's not downplay the severity of what Vick did to those helpless dogs! If it were up to me all these a-holes would be banned from the league. I'm sure the games would be just as enjoyable without these few morons!!!

Grub do you have a passport ? Go travel to china or Korea they sure love eating there pets!!!
    You liberals need to get to church and stop trying to save the Cable world from the evil dog killers.......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

-- "Although I abhor any man beating on a woman, at least most of these women were not chained to anchors in their back yards when hubby beat them." --

What I like about this post is that it implies that at least some of them were. The scary part is I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were true.

Well, I have no idea, maybe some of them were. Although I doubt these guys would chain them up in their yard where the neighbors could see. Possibly in the basement or rec room?

What Goddell" the jerk" has not realized, is not just the Dogfighting, but to focus on the Torture of helpless animals. Torture by drowning, starvation , or Electrocution comes only from a Sociopathic mind. Vick should be banned for life for this type of reckless brutality on helpless Dogs

It's a good point. While the feds locked him up for gambling and illegal interstate commerce, nobody has really seemed to delve into any underlying psycological problems at the root of Vick's atrocities.

For one...Jail sentance for a crime he DID commit IS NOT and SHOULD NOT be part of an NFL suspension/penalty! NOW is the time for his NFL punishment!

I agree. His jail term was for the crime, and that's it. Much like a criminal penalty can also be combined with a civil one as two different things. The league's issue is with the code of conduct, not necessarily with Vick's making money on illegal activities. I think Goodell has every right to suspend him above and beyond his period of incarceration.

Grub do you have a passport ? Go travel to china or Korea they sure love eating there pets!!!
    You liberals need to get to church and stop trying to save the Cable world from the evil dog killers.......

Give me a break! For one thing, the people in Asia who eat dogs are not eating their pets! The dogs used for food are raised such as we raise cows and pigs for food. Although I suppose the very poor may kill a stray for food because they cannot afford to go to the Piggly Wiggly! But I'd bet they don't electrocute or drown them before they eat them! For another, who cares what they do in China or Korea? Was Vick in China or Korea when the tortured these dogs? No, he was right here in America! And I'm laughing so hard I nearly shot my coffee out of my nose! You call me a "liberal", but that is so far from the truth it's absurd! I happen to be Republican (and what some here might consider a little "redneck"), and have no desire to "save the world" from anything. It's actually the liberals who usually want to give these sick f u c k e r s a "second chance"! Please use your brain (if you have one) before you attempt to judge me or anyone else here!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Lions and tigers are cats do you think they are cuddly. African hunting Dogs and Pit Bulls are dogs do you think they are cuddly. Nobodys sure what Hyena's are but one thing is for sure they are not cuddly. What am I getting at? I am not sure but dog fighting has been around for centuries, that doesn't make it right, it's terrible but these aggressive breeds of dogs thrive on it.

Michael Vick has done the Crime and he has paid the fine. He has lost everything, give the guy a second chance. he made a mistake, let yee who has never made a mistake cast the first stone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]Lions and tigers are cats do you think they are cuddly. African hunting Dogs and Pit Bulls are dogs do you think they are cuddly. Nobodys sure what Hyena's are but one thing is for sure they are not cuddly. What am I getting at? I am not sure but dog fighting has been around for centuries, that doesn't make it right, it's terrible but these aggressive breeds of dogs thrive on it. Michael Vick has done the Crime and he has paid the fine. He has lost everything, give the guy a second chance. he made a mistake, let yee who has never made a mistake cast the first stone.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

So I suppose if Charlie Manson was paroled you'd welcome him into your neighborhood...perhaps lobby your boss to give him a job working with you? Or some child molester, hired killer, or anyone who has "done his time"? And the "lost everything" c r a p holds ZERO water with me. This moron was making millions, yet he chose to engage in illegal activities to make more, not to mention the sadistic actions he engaged in in the process! If he were broke, hungry, and asking for quarters outside Burger King I would spit on this piece of s h i t!!! As far as these dogs "thriving" on fighting, are you serious? This implies that they could not survive as pets in a loving home. That is BS, as I have seen pit bulls who are loyal pets and even great with children. It's the sick people who train them by torture and starvation who make them fight. Animals left to themselves will fight for food and territory, but have never been known to fight for the "sport" of it. I could see POSSIBLY giving him a "second chance" if he showed any inkling of remorse. Yet he is deadpan reciting his choreographed statements prepared by his lawyers. I don't feel sorry for him being broke, and after the sick acts he has done to these animals (pit bulls or not), I do not believe he deserves to play in the NFL. Let him go to Canada or somewhere else. I have 12 animals and have never tortured them, or pimped them out as fighters. So maybe I feel I can throw as many stones as I like in a matter such as this!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to my 2 cents on vick:
    [QUOTE]i am quite on the fence with the whole vick coming back issue. frankly i think the suspension is a joke. its a slap on the wrist, the man just did two years in prison and then you suspend him for a few games?  you either suspend him for at least a season, or continue a long term "indefinate" suspension, or you dont do it at all. it just seems foolish to me. and for my other cent,even 5 years from now assuming vick lasts that long, i dont think i could watch him on sunday without remembering what he did. im all for second chances, i believe people can change (not that i think prison is really a good place to do that but hey its the system) but where is the line?
    Posted by flutie66[/QUOTE]

He should have been suspended for 2 full seasons, then given an opportunity to play again. Goodell has done it again. He has no consistency in his punishment of players, personel, or teams at all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to my 2 cents on vick : He should have been suspended for 2 full seasons, then given an opportunity to play again. Goodell has done it again. He has no consistency in his punishment of players, personel, or teams at all.
    Posted by passedball[/QUOTE]

Where is the inconsistency.