my 2 CENTS ( updated wth pics )

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

my 2 CENTS ( updated wth pics )

NOTE : Oldr post ( Fri practice )
     ...just updated it with a few pics to illustrate points

OK
     Finally got out to a practice this season .

Heres my randem thoughts .

If your going to make the effort to go -Get there at least 45 mins early to stake out a good spot - the dif between being there 45 or 5 mins early is COUGHLIN-ESQUE .
     ( I usually prefer back row of bleachers - you get to alternate sitting /standing w/o blocking view of others and its also the best vantage point for taking pix )

On sight Pro -Shop Tent seems to be heavily discounting their wears this year - I saw a polo shirt wth an embroider'd Pat Patriot going for $10 
    ( the same shirt inside they would have gouged u for @ $55 )

BRING H2O

If you want to Get into the action  - Set up on the hill directly behind the goalposts.
     Ghost usually ends practice booting FGs ( no net ) and fans are allowed to snag 'em ( catch n release tho )

I thought it was unusual BB strolled out so late ... my first inclination was that he was busy workin the phones / dealin' up until the very last second.
     ( Predictably - there was some unrecognizable #95 out there ... turned out to be Mark Anderson ... unimpressive in tacklin drills but who knows? )

O-LINE
    Dante Scarnechia seemed a bit reserved today ( for him ) 
    He spent a lot of the practice instructing Solder and at end of day called entire troop over for prolonged verbal instruction. 
    O-line looks surprisingly clean shaven ( usually mounds of scruff even early in camp ) 
    Pack of massive white guys ...wonder why its one of the only positions where caucasions still excell ? ( that and posession / slot receiver  , lol )
    German and Polish ancestry seems to be a common thread too ....juz sayin.

RB's

Rb coach Ivan Fears ( nice dude ) has a good assistant in Sammy Morris who seemed to give as much instruction to the rookie Ridley as the coach  , which along with being a STs ace is probably why Sammys back. Ridley looked ok ...not especially outstanding at any one thing (Seemed a bit smaller than I had expected -even standing next to Woodhead - who appeared to be far and away the quickest and most game game-ready of the lot ) Never realised just how thick Woodheads legs are - they are like mini Linemans legs ( I exagerate ... but not by much ) His height , or lack of , is amazing tho... During a drill where the Rbs face the goaline than ubruptly turn around to catch a quick pass aimed at their facemask . Woodhead was the last to go and Fears fired the ball in his normal trajectory - but it sailed above Woodheads head and all the rb could do is flair at it ( I noticed the next turn he got the ball was heaved much lower ).
      BJGE looked sharp too , but you can clearly see that he's more Sure N Steady than explosive . Rookie Vareen was a no show ( inj'd ) No Kevin Faulk either ( ? ).

QBs

From what I could tell -Mallette looks like a typical goofy - awkward rookie ...almost hillbilly-esque (Can't even count how many times I saw him fumble around with the ball while playing catch before / during /after practice ...luckily hes not a receiver )When he wasn't being coached up - He stuck by Bradys side and appeared to be absorbing #12's advice. His play looked ok -during drills he hit his reciever more often than not and during semi-live action he stepped up in the pocket under pressure and delivered .For the most part Hoyer looked sharp - he looks like he belongs .Though he's clearly got the weakest arm of the three and tends to float the deep ball , he actually threw the tighest spiral of the pack in the intermediate stuff . Brady looked a bit off  ( I've noticed that at the end of a play when Brady isnt quite happy with the way things just went - he tends to stand perfectly still for an extra beat or two ...he was makin like a statue a lot )
     The group as a whole stayed after practice and did extra work - nice commitment.

RECEIVERS

Taylor Price looked professional . Nice to see him gettin' it  . Branch looked like...eh Branch ( Welker too ) Darnell Jenkins looked a bit sloppy ( catchin and routes ) Edelman seemed to have a bigger presence than last year  and also seemed to be very vocal . I think he'll be incorparated much more this year .
     Chad Johnson ran hot n cold . A few drops , a few nice catches - nothin spectacular ( tho the crowd overreacted on every touch ) . There were a couple refs monitoring plays and after Bodden D'd #85 up on a very catchable sideline route - Chad got pizzed and appealed to the official to throw a flag ... no big deal but the crowd ate it up and instead of just gettin back into the huddle , he stayed and repeated pleaded his case . I noticed Bodden stood there too and his body launguage was like " C'mon man " ( Later on after the session was over and the O and D squads were going their seperate ways I saw Chad approach Bodden , briefly talk and then shake hands before parting.)
     Gronk looked like an unstopable beast ( gave me a scare at one point when he was tackled by an arm grab that made him land awkwardly on his shoulder ) Hernadez looked a bit heavier ( slower ? ) and rookies Lee / Wheaton appeared as advertised - big slow behemoths .

Just like the Qbs , this group also got together after practice for extra reps.

DBs .

McCourty was tight as ever - Butler not so much ( I didnt notice it but my bro said he saw Butler take exception to a clean block and throw an elbow at the plays conclusion ...but thats heresay from a Cowboy fan ...pffft ) What I did see of him was more of the same ol , same ol ...ALMOST tight coverage . Whilhite looked active( talky bazztard too ) Sergio Brown looked ready to level guys ( forced to pull up do to practice constraints ) Bodden was in slot a lot with Arrington playing aggresive corner and doing ok . Meriweather looked apathetic ( Disclaimer : Im a devoted Meriweather non-fan and have been since he was drafted ) He just looked like he was going thru the motions ( at one point early on - he even jogged off to the locker room ...took a dump ? ) For what its worth - my unbiased bro thought he looked like the one guy out there that wished he was somewhere else ( From the calistenics onwards he was doggin it )

Belichick never fails to amaze me .
      After his initial late showing  -He took charge of every aspect of the 3hr practice ( even overseeing the tedium of the end of practice sprints by standing directly in the middle of the field while the dust kicking hoard sprinted by )
      The various segments are timed on a big board - but BB will cut things short if he decides its time to move on
     ( Once , I happened to look over at him and his body launguage said "I'm bored with this " ...2 secs later he reached for his whistle , gave a loud toot  - his "runners " showed up and word was sent out to his assistants that plans had changed and it was time to move on to a new phase )
      There's as many as a half a dozen different groupings going on at one time  -but BB manages to get around to each individually before the day is thru -usually concentrating on wherever the most live action is taking place.

I came away thinking this wasnt the most interesting practice Ive ever been to , but still worth seeing in person .

If you haven't already done so - I strongly recommend makin' the trip before camp winds up next week ( the public part anyways )

For those who can't attend -This shot gives you an idea of just how packed it gets...note hill behind goalposts where fans are allowed to field fgs .

Chad Johnson was constantly picking brains ~ especially #12's .

Dante's dominion ... If Solder ( #77 ) ever fills out his frame he's going to be a beast . Volmer ( next to Scarnechia- facing camera ) and Solder should  be impressive bookends for years to come .

Arrington getting it done. It's going to be interesting to see if the Day 1 starter will be him or Bodden .

End of Practice sprints and BB still prowlin' .

Practice over , Brady ( w/o pads ) leads Qbs and Wrs in extra work 

Woodhead is the first to approach stands to sign for fans ...note leg bulk .

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: my 2 CENTS

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping to get to one next week. I usually try to get to atleast one every year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Thanks for your post, no way i can go. I live in NC so I have to really scrounge to find out what's going. ----and everyone reports the same thing and it's about the same players. This is the best insight I'v gotten on the team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Just posted pics above ( bump )

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: my 2 CENTS ( updated wth pics )

Solder already looks like a beast to me.  I realize he has lots to learn but jeez. 
    Nice action shot of Ochostinko and Arrington.  And you're right about Woodheads legs.  His calves are like my thighs.  OK, that's not saying much but I see what you're talking about.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Good work. Thanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

With Bodden playing the slot, I wouldnt take too much into that besides the fact that Bodden is a bigger, physical body to stop the run, when playing nickel and offense go to sub package runs which have hurt us./

Doesnt mean Arrington beat him out.  Last year Chung played more nickel than wilhite for this same reason and we need Chung to play more tradtional safety with Meriwether on his B.S.

So Rust  calm down your man love for Bodden a bit and put it in perspective...Bodden just may be more valuble to us there and Arrington worked hard last year and may be a better fit outside based upon him being faster, but flexibility is the key here..who knows...but Bodden WILL Play,.,Relax

Thnx for the report Capt.  Very detailed.  I got to attend one last w/e, but it was so hot, I didnt stay till the end....just too many folsk there now...I miss the old days where crowd was scarce and I could bring my camcorder...good work tho' - appreciate you

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

This is the first time since the SB years that I have a high level of confidence in our DB staff as a whole.
     I like Sergio Brown and Chung .
     I don't think Meriweather will be dealt anytime soon ... despite his contract status. Its just too late in camp to be bringing in a new face
    I wonder if Ras -I Dowling might eventually become a safety ?
    He's got the size and appears to be a fairly agressive tackler .
      I'm hopeful Arrington will become a top flight corner but right now I wonder if his abilities might translate better to the slot role - especially when you consider he could then be sent on occasional blitz's . 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

thats right, it would be better for arrington to blitz from the slot...Seeing as thought they tried it last year from the DE position w/mixed results...I think the idea there was to get some speed to stretch the tackle out wide and maybe attack inside, but it never really worked out to sacks, but Billy has done some strange things...but with the flexibility and versatility he has now combined w/depth is gonna keep offensive coordinators up all night, I know that! 

Alot of Nickel with rotating DE's....you have A.Carter and Moore, and Cunningham and Anderson....2 DE packages right there, not including the stout verison w/ M.Wright on one end, or whatever, the possibilities are endless and I also think this has to make some of the younger guys expendable...maybe M.Carter gets I/R'ed 

Cant wait till thursday to put the mash on Del Rio and the Jag's!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Thanks for the pics....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: my 2 CENTS:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your post, no way i can go. I live in NC so I have to really scrounge to find out what's going. ----and everyone reports the same thing and it's about the same players. This is the best insight I'v gotten on the team.
    Posted by NEGAME2[/QUOTE]

Slack given, I have a sister that lives and dies for football. I like you aslo have to scrounge, I live in SC.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Thanks a bunch....Much appreciated

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

my understanding is they arent happy with merriweather's effort in camp and also the special teams play of mcgowan (obviously). i would bet that the fact that barrett has been hurt is an issue too. i'm guessing they like brown, its not easy to make the team as an undrafted player obviously but once someone catches on it seems like they keep them (wright, guyton, love, fletcher etc)

In Response to Re: my 2 CENTS ( updated wth pics ):
    [QUOTE]I liked what we saw from Brown, too. Makes you wonder what they mean by "NE coaches aren't happy at Safety", though.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

solder really does look like a tight end...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

To the OP,appreciate the pics and the insights.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

thanks catfox.
    very cool.
    meri is jsut daring them to cut him eh?
    must be thinkin, "they dont have anyone to replace me, i'm the man!"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

Thanks for the pictures and the notes. It's always cool to read the more detailed observations about which specific players were beastin' it (and those who weren't).

I was born in CT but I live in Oregon, so no chance of going to the practices, but I read about all of them. The two young players I'm anticipating possible breakout seasons from are Sergio Brown and Taylor Price. Brown picked off a Brady pass yesterday and seems to get a favorable mention in a lot of the camp reports. Also, it sounds like Price has outstanding hands and might be earning TB's trust.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

Gracias... Woodhead really does have some wheels on him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Great post!

Sections
Shortcuts