My 2009 Patriots Draft Grade/Thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from troyl. Show troyl's posts

My 2009 Patriots Draft Grade/Thoughts

Overall -- fairly strong draft -- a B+ grade from me.  I would have liked to have seen them flip one of their four 2nd rounders into a first in 2010, that was the only thing I really was unhappy over.

Highlights/Concerns I had over the draft:

1.  Suprised they passed on 23 for Ohler, but I liked the fact they essentially traded pick #23 for two 2010 second rounders, Brandon Tate and Darius Bulter.  That is very good value for your #1, even if we would have liked to have seen a more sexy name pick come out of it.  Overall, solid set of trades for their #1.

2.  I really like Patrick Chung, but I bet he could have been had with their #40 or #41 or #58 picks. If there is any small gripe, its that I would have liked to have seen a linebacker pick at #34 -- I didn't really care about which one, but any of Clint Sintim, Ray Maualuga, James Laurinaitis or Conner Barwin would have been nice.  If the Pats could have ended up with two 2010 2nd rounders, Conner Barwin, Ron Brace, Darius Bultler and Patrick Chung with their 4 top choices, everyone would be smiling today, no matter who else they picked.

3. After reading up on Sebastian Vollmer, I like the kid a lot, but I'm sure they could have had him in the 3rd round -- would have like to have seen the Barwin, Brace, Butler, Chung be the 4 2nd round picks.

4. Liked Tryone McKenzie in the 3rd and Brandon Tate could be an interesting pick for 2010 – doubt he plays this year unless Lewis is cut.

5. Anything that sticks after the 3rd is basically getting lucking.  Of those picks, I see only Rich Ohrnberger and Jacob Ingram (cheaper than our current long snapper, and BB likes cheap) making the 53 man roster.  George Bussey and Myron Pryor might slip onto the practice squad, but I'm not even sure of that.

6.  Would have loved to see them move some of the 5, 6 and 7th round choices to 2010 draft.  That would have been nice to move up a round for next year with those pics, of which none are likely to make the 53 man roster.

7.  Hobbs trade – ok for salary cap purpose.

8.  A few of the players we passed on made me cringe, including:
    1st/2nd round – Michael Oher, Conner Barwin, Rey Maualuga, Eben Britton
    3rd/4th round – Jared Cook, Chase Coffman, Andre Brown
    5th-7th – Jason Phillips, Jasper Brinkley, Jamon Meredith (I had him as an early Pats pick in my mock), Herman Johnson, Demetrius Byrd

9.  Would be shocked in BB does not bring in a veteran inside/outside linebacker before the season starts – lots of teams will be dumping veteran players, so I expect an addition to the LB core before the season begins – maybe Jason Taylor, maybe Peppers, maybe someone else.

Summary – fine draft by BB, getting some O- and D-line backup and retooling the secondary.  Chung, Brace and Bulter will all be starters 3 years from now, and I bet will be very strong contributors to the team.  Vollmer and Ohrnberger could be real sleepers – seem like tough dudes of the Mankins mold that BB likes in the trenches.  If they work out, then this was definitely and A+ draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from troyl. Show troyl's posts

Re: My 2009 Patriots Draft Grade/Thoughts

Just noticed Darryl Beckwith from LSU was not drafted -- he is a very active inside linebacker that would project well to the Pat's system.  I hope he is brought in as a free agent invite.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from troyl. Show troyl's posts

Dang, just saw the Chargers signed Beckwith.  Some had him projected as a 2nd/3rd round pick in many mocks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

He signed with the Chargers. He's too small for the 3-4, imo. We did sign Antonio Appleby who should be a far better fit and another that should have been a mid-round pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Talk to me in 3 yrs.  Anybody who thinks they know enough to give a grade now is full of sh*t!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dave362009. Show dave362009's posts

I still can't believe that the Pats past on Rey Maualuga three times. At 23, 28, and at 34. For shame! How could they pass on a Defensive stud like him? He could have paired with Jerod Mayo for the next 10 years. Patrick Chung was not ranked that high on many draft boards at all. I usually like or drafts but this year we messed up. Count on it! Chung, Brace, and Butler are good picks. It would have been better to have had Maualuga, Butler, Brace, and Chung. I will be watching both Players over the next 3 years we will see who is the better pick. Not crazy about the trade of Hobbs, but if it netted us two 2nd rounders than I am cool with that, but anything less would be a robbery. What happens to our team after this year? Bruschi, will probably retire and yet no replacement. Wlfork will probably demand Hayensworth type money. Seymour will probably be gone, as well as Warren. Hope we at least make a run at LeRoy Hill since he got cut by Seattle. I just think our draft could have been better than what it was. Just my opinion. Sincerely, Dave

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

Hey TROYL,

Actually our #23 pick netted us Butler who some mocks had us taking @ #23, Tate who was a sure fire 1st round projection until he hurt his knee and who we got in the 3rd. 

Also in that equation we get next years 2nd from the Jags.

We have to see who is selected there and wWho knows, maybe BB trades that pick for a 1st rounder in 2011 and it tunrs out to be mid rounder or higher because let's be honest the Jags could still go 6-10 or 8-8 with Garrad at qb.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

It was a great draft for the Pats, did they pick the right players?  Wait a year or two before we make that grade.  But I agree with the Pats trading down and loading up on 2nd and 3rd rd players.   The fact is this was a pretty weak draft, so why take a chance and pay 1st rd money.  The Pats did the right thing, by drafting quantity they should hit on some quality NFL players that can fill in some holes.  Injuries are always a factor, and if the Pats can have young talented depth to fill in, they will be way ahead of most teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

rey maluega was one of the most overrated players in this draft.
    he will never be anything special....
    he is not an every down player... he is known to take plays off from time to time, and most importantly, he doesnt have the mental makeup to play for the pats.

umm, dont you think, belichick passing on him 3 times tells u what he thinks of him?
    however, if you're a draft guru for a current nfl team, perhaps you are right too...:)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from troyl. Show troyl's posts

I wasn't a huge fan of Maluega -- I liked his highlights for big hits, but other than that, I wasn't be biggest fan.  However at #34 it seemed like reasonable value given our need for an LB.  Clint Simtin was my favorite, and then Laurinitis.  If Jason taylor signs, then the draft makes complete sense.  The two 2nd rounders for next year were real steals, so that really makes next year exciting as well. 

I have no problem with Brace, Chung or Bulter -- 3 very nice players I project as starters down the road for our team.  The brace pick will be critical if Vince bolts.  I don't buy that they are switching to the 4-3, just doesn't seem to fit the schemes Bill likes to employ.
    Most people are grading us out as an A or B, so the pundits like the pats draft overall.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Player by Player Grades

Patrick Chung: A-
    RM would have been a bit better at this point.

Ron Brace: B
    Good Pick.  I wish we got Barwin though

Darius Butler: A+
    Great Valuer.  Perfect Fit.  Our #1 CB for years to come

Sebastian Vollmer: A-
    Will be happy to give him an A if he proves he is better than Merideth or Beatty. He has the talent and potential to do so

Brandon Tate: A
    Factors in during 2010, knee heals, Moss mentors him, 1st round talent, Steal of the draft

Tyrone McKenzie: A
    I see nothing wrong with this pick, Bruschi's replacement, could play some this year

Rich Ohlenberger: C
    No way he is better than Duke Robinson or Herm Johnson

George Bussey: B+
    Nothing wrong with this pick, just don't love it.

Jake Ingram: A
    Best long snapper coming out recently.  In the 6th round, he's good since he'll probably make the roster.  Seems like a great LS to me.

Myron Pryor: B+
    Good Pick.  Practice Squad player for this year.

Julian Edelman: B
    Practice Squad for a year or 2.  Will help w/ Wildcat in future, defending it right now (in practice) Versaitle (RB/WR/ Wildcat QB) 

Darryl Richard: A
    Depth.  Maybe a 3-4 end.  

Overall: B+ but ask in 3 years

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I can't argue with this assessment,I gave them an A on the overall curve,and it will be solidified with the Addition of UDFA's and the 2 second round draft picks next year.Already they signed a strong armed QB Hoyer from Michigan State.The guy from nowhere's this year, will be the Wrestler/OL from Kent St. Jermail Porter,and with a little luck but maybe the can sign the Naval Academy FB Kettani....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]He signed with the Chargers. He's too small for the 3-4, imo. We did sign Antonio Appleby who should be a far better fit and another that should have been a mid-round pick.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Appleby is a stud and should be a good player for us.  6'3" 243lbs, played for Virginia who runs a 3-4 D.  I like this one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Personally I shop at Macy’s not at Wal-Mart.  That said I prefer the Big name player that costs a little more but has greater potential.  I wish we would have gotten a stud LB.  Oh well. Coach Drafted what he Drafted so they must be good.  I hope they are all great and we win the Super Bowl.

Sections
Shortcuts