my choice on the 2011 raiders 1st rd pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

my choice on the 2011 raiders 1st rd pick

Ok, so I am alittle bored today and getting a little bit ahead.

Name: Patrick Peterson 
    College: 
    LSU     Number: 7
    Height: 6-1   Weight: 211
    Position: CB  Pos2: FS
    Class/Draft Year: 
    So/2012
    40 Time: 4.52      40 Low: 4.46   40 High: 4.58
    Physcially dominant cornerback who has the prototypical size and excellent top-end and makeup speed to combine into an excellent defensive back prospect. He attacks routes with violence and yet still able to have a sense of awareness of the play. Moves well laterally and explodes out of his dig to the ball. Excellent range and can play well out of man and zone coverage. Does have a tendency keeping pace with shorter receivers with tall drop.
    I really hope we can get him next year.  I think he will be top 5 for sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: my choice on the 2011 raiders 1st rd pick

In Response to my choice on the 2011 raiders 1st rd pick:
    Ok, so I am alittle board today and getting a little bit ahead. Name:   Patrick Peterson   College:   LSU       Number: 7 Height: 6-1    Weight: 211 Position:   CB    Pos2: FS Class/Draft Year:   So/2012 40 Time:   4.52        40 Low:   4.46     40 High:   4.58 Physcially dominant cornerback who has the prototypical size and excellent top-end and makeup speed to combine into an excellent defensive back prospect. He attacks routes with violence and yet still able to have a sense of awareness of the play. Moves well laterally and explodes out of his dig to the ball. Excellent range and can play well out of man and zone coverage. Does have a tendency keeping pace with shorter receivers with tall drop. I really hope we can get him next year.  I think he will be top 5 for sure.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Appears to have elite size, skill set and pedigree.  Certainly a kid I'll be keeping my eye on next season.

Greg Romeus 6-5 270 DE Pitt is another kid that I'm keeping an eye on. 

Is he the next Big Willie?

http://ubspectrumsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pittsburgh_greg_romeus1.jpg

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Hello Mark Ingram you are the new RB of the New england Patriots what are you going to do? I'm going to Disney World...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I was hoping OAK was going to fire their head coach. He seems to have the team improving, which is unfortunate. Hopefully they pick another dud in the first this year, and stick with Russell at QB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

"Ok, so I am alittle board today"

Your board or bored?! haha Top 5 pick seems high to pick a CB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

This may sound crazy, but, if there is no rookie cap in '11, then I would trade the pick for a pick in the first round this year. This would give us the opportunity to pick two impact players (say Graham and Tate) in round 1, while the Pats would avoid possibly paying top 5 pick money next year. Obviously if a rookie wage scale is implemented I would just say keep the pick.

I'm assuming the pick would net them a pick similar to #22. Who knows? Maybe there'll be a lockout and a crappy pool of players next year compared to this year?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

rockdog, I dont think we will know about a rookie wage scale before this draft.
    As fas as CB not being a top 5, If this guy is the real deal, it is worth it IMHO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

You guys know the Pats are going to trade that pick, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

not if there is a rookie cap in 2011, I dont think we will

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

If there is a rookie payscale in 2011, I can't possibly see them trading the pick away. There's too many options at the top of next year's draft to justify a trade. They could address a huge range of areas:

1) WR - If you have yet to view the list of possible targets for 2011, here's a snapshot. Julio Jones, A.J. Green, and Michael Floyd all are legitimate top 15 picks. If Moss leaves after this year, #1 reciever becomes a big need.

2) OLB - As mbeaulieu07 estutley mentioned, Greg Romeus will be in the draft next year. At 6' 5" and 270 lbs, he has nearly the same physique as a guy many Pats fans remember - Willie McGuinest. Romeus also has some wheels - his 40 time hangs around a 4.6. Did I mention he's the best pass-rusher on one of the best pass-rushing teams in the country?

3) OT - Matt Light isn't getting any younger, and Nick Kazcur is just too inconsistent. If we figure Vollmer will take over one of those OT spots, Belichick would possibly look at upgrading the O-line.

4) RB - Three words come into play here: Heisman Trophy Winner. His name is Mark Ingram. Normally, I'm a bit wary about running backs at the top of the first round, as the media does a great job at hyping them up (*coughDarren McFaddencough*). The one trait of Ingram that stands out to me is his ability to break tackles (this past year, he had over 1,000 yards after initial contact). He's the exact opposite of Maroney in terms of running style, and has the speed to break huge runs. Ingram is also a threat as a reciever as well. Imagine an offense featuring Brady, Moss, Welker, and Ingram. I shudder at what that could mean for opposing defenses.

5) CB - As the OP pointed out, Patrick Peterson is far and away the best CB in the 2011 class. He is the definition of a shut-down corner. When he's on the field, whoever he covers simply dissapears from the game. Peterson reminds me of somebody in the NFL right now. His name is Darelle Revis. Like Revis Peterson doesn't have blazing timed speed (4.4), but he has an outstanding cover/shutdown ability. The one thing about Peterson that worries me is his durability - every game of LSU that I watched this pass year, he seemed to get hurt in some way.

If Belichick is looking to add an impact player in 2011, then he's in luck; there won't be any shortage of them at the top of next year's draft.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Leatherhelmut: I'm of the opinion that drafting a QB high is way too risky. Even if Locker seems like the real deal, they often are only hit or miss at the top of the draft. I also think the pats would rather develop Brady's replacement than draft him (like they did with Matt Cassel). There are no can't miss prospects! For every Peyton Manning, there is a Ryan Leaf.

Also, Brady will play in NE for as long as he wants. I don't think he'll bow out after three more years, and you don't want to pay a high draft pick. I'd rather have one of the guys that committee listed, especially if there is a Revis clone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichicksDisciples7. Show BelichicksDisciples7's posts

timsandra, if you're going to be a grammar nazi by trying to correct mordecai on his incorrect spelling, then maybe you should check your own spelling! aha look up the difference between "your" and "you're."

but Peterson is an absolute beast and i would love if the pats would pick up an elite corner like him, although a top 5 pick for a corner is extremely high.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's Oaklands pick so I think we have to take a kicker or punter. It's in the rules I believe. But seriously I break it down this way

top 5: OL, DL, and MVP caliber RB's
    top 10: QB, WR, CB
    top 15: LB, S

Now ofcourse elite players blur the lines but that's just generally how I see most drafts unfolding and how talent per position tends to work out for the best.

You know the more I think about the rookie payscale the more I realize that a top 5 pick is worth a top 15 + a 2nd, and a 1st next year. Trading back from that pick might net us some really good stuff without moving back much. I say if the value is there do it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Use it as a chip to move up this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

did you guys ever think that the Raiders are improving each year and with a VERY weak West division that they have more than a decent chance of going 8-8 and making the Patriots have a middle first round pick. It's more than a little possible!!! Think we need to be focusing on picks 15-20 :(

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

tcal2, why should we use it to move up, that is just dumb.  Lets trade a pick this year and a most likely top 5 next year to  move up.  So lets get 1 very good player instead of 2.  Yeah, sounds smart.

rick, unless they have a new QB and Uncle Al moves on, I dont see that.  If they get a real QB, even an ok one, you are absolutely correct.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

I'd pick Mark Ingram!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

The Oak pick is top ten easy...Improving Rick , really , I think you need to take another look. You can run and throw on them every year because of the 1930 style of D they play and have just a putrid excuse for an O. It still amazes me that Russell was the number one pick. He had three good final weeks at LSU...thats it , and Big Al who needs a druel cup decides to take him number one and throw 40 million at him LMFAO. They have no QB , no receivers , Bush/Fargas are decent , but Mc-overhype is just that , over hyped. I still cant believe people were comparing him to AD and they have a terrible o-line. I cant believe they still havent fixed the o-line , I love it when losers like to say how Moss quit in Oakland , in the two years he was there they gave up 120 sacks! LOL 120 , LMFAO , future HOF's Aaron Brooks and Andrew Walter were eating dirt before 81 took a step. Another thing is that IMHO that divison will be a lil' tougher than years past. SD will be a tough out for the next 5-6 years , Denver will be a legit team to reckon w/ if they can keep that team together and by that I mean keeping Marshell LOL. If they keep him that O can only get better and they have IMHO the best Tackle combo in the league in Clady/Harris. And I really like what KC is doing , I know they lost 35 of their last 38(or something crazy like that), but I really think there 4-5 guys away from a 500. team. I love Charles , who I was hoping we'd grab and could have had in the late 2nd/early 3rd round a couple years back. He can do it all , run , catch , block and return balls , although Id scrap that in a second. Hes too good and has too much talent to be worn down returning kicks , I can see him averaging 11-1200 yards and 300 rec yards for the next 6-7 years. I think Oakland is the worst team in that divsion and might be the worst in the league. Their not that far ahead of ST.L/Det/Cleve LOL. I really think its a top ten pick...easy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i say we trade it back to the raiders for 

Nnamdi Asomugha

and 
    Kirk Morrison
    and 
    Thomas Howard
    and
    Matt Shaughnessy 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Its just too tough to speculate about next year , so many things can happen , we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. I can say that Ive never really like the idea of taking RB's and Rec's that high. RB's especially , every year theres a couple guys that come out of the 2-3 round and have very good and sometimes great years. So its really hard to try an gage what could happen a year from now. One thing is for sure concerning the draft is that we absolutely have to do a better job at evaluating talent , trading down or god forbid trading up , and deciding what are real needs are. Just one example that still gets me and most likely will continue to , is the fact that we could have had Matthews and Maualuga/Laurinaitis. Seriously , we have had them both ,with no mauvering at that. IMHO the D got way too much credit this year for being ok. And they had big problems on both fronts , the front seven and the back four. Teams made no secret at all that they were going to run at what would have been Sey's side , our pass rush was a rumor , we had real trouble at the ILB position in diagnosing plays, tackling and wasnt nearly good enough. And our back four has significant issues as well , Bodden played very well , but we could use an upgrade at every other spot. Whily was just terrible , absolutely terrible LMFAO , its nothing to laugh about! I mean he was beat and beat somemore , and it seemed everytime was a big play at a critical moment in the game *cough*Reggie Wayne*cough*. I think theres a real chance either Haden , or McClain could fall around 12-16 , both are worth trading up. One guy that has been on my rader for the last two years is Earl Thomas , this guy has the ability to be the best defensive player out of this draft IMHO. I really think hes on par with Berry , his ball hawking skills are just as good and I think he might even be a better at tackling and wrapping up. This guy has everything you could asked for in a FS and wont be a liability in the running game as he can diagnose and read plays as good as any DB coming out w/ the execption of Berry. And again this guy can and will hit and make that big tackle , unfortunately hes no longer an under the rader guy and could go as high to the 'Fins , 49ers , Seahawks or drop just a lil' bit to the Steelers(if they do grab him and Troy have the potential to be the best duo in a long tine).  Id love to see him in a PATS uniform and I think would fit in great because he is so versatile and the Pats are one of a few teams that interchange the S positions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I thought we should have made a real attempt to trade for Nnamdi three year ago. Hes a great player and I actually think he could be better in the PATS system , as I just said how much the PATS like to interchange the S position. He started out as a S for Oakland and could play both DB spots for us , this way teams couldnt just ignore his side of the field. Think of it like moving a receiver from Flanker to Slot as 81 sometimes does , just a different way to get your guy involved more in the game. I would primarly use him as a CB , but why not move him around in certain situations? I love him...great player! Another guy I really like is Kirk Morrison , underrated guy if you ask me , but I think he is free agent this year. If not Im all for that deal. One other possible blockbuster Ive been dreaming of is trading next years first along with a 3 to SF for Willis and Davis. I know , I know it would never happen , but a boy can dream. Imagine Willis/Mayo as a ILB'er tandom. And then having Davis with Moss/Edelman/Tate , wow a tight end that actually performs tight end duties like going over the middle and running crossing and slant patterns , not just the same , tired seem route Watson has ran for the last 4 years. Id pull that off in a second , Willis is the best I/MLB in the game... easy and Davis who Ive always liked has finally showed he is capable of being an elite tight end. I think what we saw last year was what he'll be for the next 6-7 years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

This pick we all agree it should be a hands down top 10 and 50/50 on a top 5.

This is probably Moss last year as a Patriot, there are three WRs I would keep an eye one Terrance Toliver LSU 6'4" 206 or A.J. Green Georgia 6'4" 208 (Jr. next year) and the third who might end up been the best is Julio Jones Alabama (also a Jr) the fastest of the three but is also 6'4" 212 all 3 play in the SEC and should step in from day one. 

Ingram is always an option but I think a RB is taken this year so RB will not be a top priority.

I'm hopping the Patriots draft DE Lamarr Houston this year, next year two guys to watch to put on the other side, mb mentioned one already Greg Romeus and the other is Adrian Clayborn Iowa 6'3" 282 good pass rusher and good against the run.

My vote would be WR Julio Jones with a close 2nd for Adrian Clayborn.  Even though Jones is will a Jr he will be projected to be a possible top 5 at worse a top 10 so IMO he won't return to bama for his senior year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

WR is not a need. Look how well we did with the crop of receivers who were just plain great route runners like Patton, Brown, Branch, etc. We do not need to waste a pick on a high end receiver. Trenches like OL and DL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: my choice on the 2011 raiders 1st rd pick:
    tcal2, why should we use it to move up, that is just dumb.  Lets trade a pick this year and a most likely top 5 next year to  move up.  So lets get 1 very good player instead of 2.  Yeah, sounds smart.Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Wow nice attack (Dumb).  Some consider speculation not so bright a thing, but I won't insult you.  We will see what BB does with the pick.

Sections
Shortcuts