***My Draft Day Thoughts On Rd 1***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

***My Draft Day Thoughts On Rd 1***

Happy Frackin Draft Day!

I'll break things down into categories...

What most expect BB to do:  Trade back

My Top 3 prospects:  Pryor, Shazier & Fuller

Will be tough to pass on if available:  Lee, Cooks & Benjamin

The most logical:  Tuitt, Ealy & Nix

The safest and most boring:  Bitonio & Su'a-Filo

They could sneak into Rd 1:  Attaochu, Van Noy, Bucannon & Easley

He's been mocked to NE far too often to be the pick:  Hageman

For what it's worth (about $.75), I woke up this morning thinking that Marqise Lee would be the guy if he's available.  BB could have a chance to buy low on a top tier, legit #1 type WR talent and that opportunity doesn't come around often when you're always slotted to draft near the end of the round.

GO PATS!!!!!!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Re: ***My Draft Day Thoughts On Rd 1***

Morning MB, can't believe it's finally here, wanted to thank you and the rest of the fellas for making this thread interesting and educational for all us guys who aren't as informed on all these prospects---I'm hoping for Shazier!!! Then maybe D'quan in the second CJF in the 3rd

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Ben Franklin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Morning MB, can't believe it's finally here, wanted to thank you and the rest of the fellas for making this thread interesting and educational for all us guys who aren't as informed on all these prospects---I'm hoping for Shazier!!! Then maybe D'quan in the second CJF in the 3rd

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

-Ben Franklin

[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, happy to contribute!

I'd love to see that in Rds 1-3!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Good Morning all! I am excited that draft day is finally here, and want to thank all the contributors to MB's draft thread who have helped educate me on all the prospects! All I know is I hope we get help for both the DL and OL. Go Pats!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Good stuff as usual MB.

My predictions:

There will be a run of 5-6 WR's in the 1st

Only 1 QB will be gone by 20 and no the Pats aren't taking one

There will be a run of 5-6 DB's in the 1st round

The Pats will have their choice of Nix, Tuitt, or Hageman if they want them

No C's will be taken in the 1st

Shazier will be gone by the 19th pick

The Jets will trade up to get a WR and they will bust

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good stuff as usual MB.

Thanks man, you too!

My predictions:

There will be a run of 5-6 WR's in the 1st

I agree... at least 5-6, maybe as many as 8.

Only 1 QB will be gone by 20 and no the Pats aren't taking one

I agree that the Pats will not take one, I'm feeling (2) in the Top 20.

There will be a run of 5-6 DB's in the 1st round

Agreed, (2) S and at least (4) CB's.

The Pats will have their choice of Nix, Tuitt, or Hageman if they want them

Agreed.

No C's will be taken in the 1st

I agree.

Shazier will be gone by the 19th pick

19 or 21, yeah.

The Jets will trade up to get a WR and they will bust

Haha, I'm more confident in Cooks than Beckham, not sure why Beckham strikes me as a bust type.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good Morning all! I am excited that draft day is finally here, and want to thank all the contributors to MB's draft thread who have helped educate me on all the prospects! All I know is I hope we get help for both the DL and OL. Go Pats!

[/QUOTE]

Giggety!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I have no idea what the fascination with Easley is...if the Pats draft him I will pull my hair out!

We are talking about a guy with chronic injury issues (torn ACL is both knees, meniscus sprain, ankle issues), not to mention off the field issues (run-ins with U. Florida Police and altercations with players). 

He is immature a la cartoons and animals crackers.

On the field, his stats are unimpressive. For such a "disruptive" player, he never had 10+ TFL in a season and basically never sacked the quarterback. 

He is undersized for DT at 6'2", 288. He relies purely on his athleticism for his "production". How productive will an undersized DT be when his athleticism diminishes because his legs repeatedly get injured?

And we are talking first round for this guy?!? You have got to be kidding me! Third round at the absolute earliest as a flier value pick. I guarantee that there will be someone available in the first round that is a better choice from a production, projection, and safety (small bust-factor) standpoint.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Morning fellas.  I've posted my mock already, but my final thought is that BB has set himself up nicely to take the Best Player Available.  I think he will do that.  Benjamin is my best guess.  Lee would be outstanding value too.  Should be fun!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Just played that first pick game online...I got quite a haul, but the draft positions are a little sketchy

Traded 1st rounder for DAL 2nd and 3rd

Traded 2nd rounder for HOU 3rd and 4th

Your Picks:
    Round 2 Pick 15 (DAL): Joel Bitonio, OG, Nevada (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 1 (HOU): Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 14 (DAL): Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 29: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 1 (HOU): Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (B-)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Dontae Johnson, FS, North Carolina State (C+)
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Andre Williams, RB, Boston College (A)
    Round 6 Pick 22: Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 30: Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Round 7 Pick 29: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (B)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is my Final Mock:

I have Louisville S Calvin Pryor, OSU LB Ryan Shazier and VT CB Kyle Fuller as the top prospects on my board, with that said, I don’t believe any of the (3) will be available at pick #29, so unless they’re willing to trade up, you won’t see any of them on the roster next year… there’s also a good likelihood that BB trades back, especially if one of the QB’s are still available… both HOU and JAX pass on one early, they could come calling. If BB and Co. decide to stand pat, I believe that the below outcome is realistic and possible.

Rd 1: DL Stephon Tuitt (6-5 304) ND- Tuitt looks every bit the part of a prototype BB DL. Long, athletic, powerful and versatile… he can play along either front with the ability to disrupt on a regular basis. I see a potential impact talent up front. Alternatives: USC WR Marquise Lee / Missouri DE/OLB Kony Ealy / GT DE/OLB Jeremiah Attaochu / FSU WR Kelvin Benjamin / ND DT Louis Nix III / Nevada OL Joel Bitonio

Rd 2: DE/OLB Trent Murphy (6-5 250) Stanford- Long, big motored edge player that plays with some nasty and will disrupt off the edge. He’ also brings the ability play in space and looks like a kid that would join the edge rotation as a rookie. Alternatives: LSU WR Jarvis Landry / PSU DT DaQuan Jones / ND TE Troy Niklas / Florida DL Dominique Easley / WSU S Deone Bucannon

Rd 3: LB/S Telvin Smith (6-3 218) FSU- This kid is fast, ferocious, rangy, athletic and aggressive and projects very well to a hybrid LB/S type role, due to his ability to cover TE’s and RB’s and make plays sideline to sideline. He’s one of my favorite prospects in this class. Alternatives: Iowa TE CJ Fiedorowicz / South Carolina WR Bruce Ellington / Alabama QB AJ McCarron / South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles / LSU RB Jeremy Hill

Rd 4: WR Jared Abbrederis (6-1 195) Wisconsin- Former walk-on, he’s a self made player and maybe the best route runner in the draft. He’s not a big play threat, but brings savvy, reliability and very good hands to the mix and could quickly become a trusted target for TB and move the sticks on a consistent basis. Alternatives: Iowa LB Christian Kirksey / Vanderbilt OL Wesley Johnson / FSU RB Devonta Freeman / Alabama DE/OLB Adrian Hubbard / Michigan State LB Max Bullough

Rd 4: TE- Arthur Lynch- 6-5 254- Georgia- He’s a local boy; playing his HS ball down in Dartmouth, MA… he’s a team captain, with very good ability/upside as an inline blocker. He’s not a burner, but can make plays in the short/intermediate areas and provide size/ability in the red zone/down by the goal line. He should provide depth at a position of need and projects as a potential #2 TE. Alternatives: Wisconsin S Dez Southward / Georgia QB Aaron Murray / Alabama DL Ed Stinson / UVA DL Brent Urban / VT DB Antone Exum

Rd 6: CB Dexter McDougle (5-10 196) Maryland- A tough, competitive, quick footed CB with good COD, ball skills and awareness. He’s good value here as an injury took away a good portion of his season. New Patriots OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo was the OL coach at Maryland last season and should be familiar with him. Alternatives: NC State DB Dontae Johnson / PSU OL John Urschel / VT QB Logan Thomas / ND OL Chris Watt / Missouri LB Michael Sam

Rd 6: S Vinnie Sunseri (5-11 210) Alabama- Smart, instinctive kid that understands the game and should and can contribute immediately on ST (BB loves targeting ST upside on Day 3), while providing depth at S. Alternatives: NW WR Kain Colter / Florida TE//HB Trey Burton / Arizona LB Marquis Flowers / Iowa LB James Morris / WF WR Michael Campanaro

Rd 7: RB Rajion Neal (5-11 220) Tennessee- BB loves late round/URFA SEC backs with size and Neal is just that. He’s a good sized kid, with good feet, vision and balance that gets up field quickly, can catch the football and has upside in pass pro. He could be a solid late round find. Alternatives: IU TE Ted Bolser / NDSU QB Brock Jensen / LSU RB Alfred Blue / Oklahoma TE/HB Trey Millard / UMass TE Rob Blanchflower

Undrafted Rookie Free Agents: WF FB/DT Nikita Whitlock / Louisville WR Damian Copeland / Boise State OL Matt Paradis / Rutgers S Jeremy Deering / Indiana RB Stephen Houston

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just played that first pick game online...I got quite a haul, but the draft positions are a little sketchy

Traded 1st rounder for DAL 2nd and 3rd

Traded 2nd rounder for HOU 3rd and 4th

Your Picks:
    Round 2 Pick 15 (DAL): Joel Bitonio, OG, Nevada (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 1 (HOU): Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 14 (DAL): Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 29: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 1 (HOU): Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (B-)
    Round 4 Pick 30: Dontae Johnson, FS, North Carolina State (C+)
    Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Andre Williams, RB, Boston College (A)
    Round 6 Pick 22: Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 30: Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Round 7 Pick 29: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (B)

[/QUOTE]

This is a good approach. Not all of the picks will make the team obviously. In all honesty, how many (45 man game day) roster spots are there going to be available this year, let alone starting jobs? With the signings of Revis, Browner, LaFell and now Will Smith, the return of Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo from injuries, that is 7 quality guys almost guaranteed to be on the roster (and starting) who weren't with the team that made it to the AFC championship game. They have a number of young guys (Buchanan, Armstead, Jones, Vellano, Siglia, Boyce, Thompkins etc) who need to show something this year or be gone. I see this draft being more about the future (OL and DL, TE) and cleaning out some of the lower end guys (Bequette, Wilson, Chris White, Kannoris Davis, Justin Green, Nate Ebner etc) with new guys who are possible starters in a year or two who can play ST while they learn. 

Sections
Shortcuts