My Draft Grades and Thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

My Draft Grades and Thoughts

2014 Post-Draft

Patriots Draft:

1st Round:

#29: Dominque Easley, DT, Florida 6’2 288.
    2nd Round:

#62: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, E. Illinois 6’2 226
    3rd Round:

#93: Trade to Jacksonville for a 4th and 6th
    4th Round:

#105: Bryan Stork, C, FSU 6’4 315
    #130: James White, RB, Wisconsin 5’10 204
    #140: Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford 6’5 325
    6th Round:

#179: Jon Halapio, OG, Florida 6’3 323
    #198: Zach Moore, DE, Concordia 6’5 270
    #206: Jemea Thomas, DB, Georgia Tech 5’9 192
    7th Round:

#244: Jeremy Gallon, WR, Michigan 5’7 185

Thoughts:

There was absolutely no part of this draft for the Patriots that were ‘sexy’. Everyone loves the sexy picks and that includes me as well. But, the Patriots did a great job assessing what they saw as the biggest need: interior OL. Belichick took three huge interior linemen to beef up a position that is quickly aging and left major question marks at the end of the year.

The biggest question mark in the draft is the selection of QB Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd round while many other prospects were available. While the pick of Garoppolo doesn’t fit the ‘win now’ strategy, QB is still the most important position in football and Ryan Mallet’s future with the team past 2014 isn’t certain so the pick of QB isn’t a popular one, but it was needed eventually. This kid may or may not be Brady’s successor, but it is better to be early than sorry is what I think about this.

Many think that the Patriots should’ve drafted one of the top 5 TEs in this draft, but obviously BB did not see those TEs as anything he liked so he passed on them. Others also wanted to see some pass rush help added to the line, but BB passed on that option as well (besides drafting small school DE, White) showing that he believes in Will Smith and Michael Buchanan to contribute this season.

BB also filled a very big need by taking Dominque Easley, who is a guy with immense upside. Scouts consider him a top 10 talent, but two ACL injuries on both legs ruined his draft stock. This defensive tackle is different than the other one’s BB normally drafts though. He normally takes the fatties and big boys that are run stuffers, but this kid is a penetrator and excels in interior pass rush, something the Patriots have been lacking for years now. If he can stay healthy (and there isn’t any reason not to think he can’t. Everyone seems to come back from ACLs now), then he could play a huge role opening up Chandler Jones and other DE on the outside to get at the QB.

Looking at the skill position picks, I really like Jeremy Gallon. He was a very productive player in college and could fit in well with the Pats offense where smaller WRs thrive. Many think that he may be cut, but with slot WRs like Amendola and Edelman, who have horrible injury histories, then he may play a role for this team. Jemea Thomas is a versatile DB who is known to be somewhat of a hitter and probably will be a special teamer. BB has drafted many DB’s in the last few seasons (Ebner, Wilson, & Harmon) and none have produced huge so I don’t except too much from this kid either, but I am fine with that. James White reminds me a little bit of Ridley. He isn’t impressive at any one category, but he is a solid productive RB. The pick of White shows me that BB is ready to hand the keys of the lead back role back to Ridley this season, which excites me since I love Rid.

Overall, many people will be upset with this Patriots draft (surprise), because they took five linemen (O & D), a quarterback and another slot receiver. Many people saw TE and DE as huge needs and BB did not address these problems. I am perfectly fine with this though because I think beefing up the DL and interior OL were huge things needed to help improve the team. The QB pick obviously is a little bit of a head scratcher, but that is what BB does on Day 2 of the draft every season. This draft wasn’t a sexy draft, but it filled needs and looked into the future, which is never a bad thing to do. Can’t wait until training camp to see the team’s progression.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: My Draft Grades and Thoughts

of course, the table wont paste correctly

my grades can be seen here:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/patriots-draft-grades-and-thoughts.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CRUSTYTHECLOWN. Show CRUSTYTHECLOWN's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

of course, the table wont paste correctly

my grades can be seen here:

Disagree with the Stork grade of C for value. This guy was rated as the best enter in the game by many analysts and is a big man with  SOLID WORK EFFORT.

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/patriots-draft-grades-and-thoughts.html" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2014/05/patriots-draft-grades-and-thoughts.html

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Patriots reached on Stork. Doesn't mean I don't like the pick, but we could've had him later in the draft imo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2014 Post-Draft

Patriots Draft:

1st Round:

#29: Dominque Easley, DT, Florida 6’2 288.
    2nd Round:

#62: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, E. Illinois 6’2 226
    3rd Round:

#93: Trade to Jacksonville for a 4th and 6th
    4th Round:

#105: Bryan Stork, C, FSU 6’4 315
    #130: James White, RB, Wisconsin 5’10 204
    #140: Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford 6’5 325
    6th Round:

#179: Jon Halapio, OG, Florida 6’3 323
    #198: Zach Moore, DE, Concordia 6’5 270
    #206: Jemea Thomas, DB, Georgia Tech 5’9 192
    7th Round:

#244: Jeremy Gallon, WR, Michigan 5’7 185

Thoughts:

There was absolutely no part of this draft for the Patriots that were ‘sexy’. Everyone loves the sexy picks and that includes me as well. But, the Patriots did a great job assessing what they saw as the biggest need: interior OL. Belichick took three huge interior linemen to beef up a position that is quickly aging and left major question marks at the end of the year.

The biggest question mark in the draft is the selection of QB Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd round while many other prospects were available. While the pick of Garoppolo doesn’t fit the ‘win now’ strategy, QB is still the most important position in football and Ryan Mallet’s future with the team past 2014 isn’t certain so the pick of QB isn’t a popular one, but it was needed eventually. This kid may or may not be Brady’s successor, but it is better to be early than sorry is what I think about this.

Many think that the Patriots should’ve drafted one of the top 5 TEs in this draft, but obviously BB did not see those TEs as anything he liked so he passed on them. Others also wanted to see some pass rush help added to the line, but BB passed on that option as well (besides drafting small school DE, White) showing that he believes in Will Smith and Michael Buchanan to contribute this season.

BB also filled a very big need by taking Dominque Easley, who is a guy with immense upside. Scouts consider him a top 10 talent, but two ACL injuries on both legs ruined his draft stock. This defensive tackle is different than the other one’s BB normally drafts though. He normally takes the fatties and big boys that are run stuffers, but this kid is a penetrator and excels in interior pass rush, something the Patriots have been lacking for years now. If he can stay healthy (and there isn’t any reason not to think he can’t. Everyone seems to come back from ACLs now), then he could play a huge role opening up Chandler Jones and other DE on the outside to get at the QB.

Looking at the skill position picks, I really like Jeremy Gallon. He was a very productive player in college and could fit in well with the Pats offense where smaller WRs thrive. Many think that he may be cut, but with slot WRs like Amendola and Edelman, who have horrible injury histories, then he may play a role for this team. Jemea Thomas is a versatile DB who is known to be somewhat of a hitter and probably will be a special teamer. BB has drafted many DB’s in the last few seasons (Ebner, Wilson, & Harmon) and none have produced huge so I don’t except too much from this kid either, but I am fine with that. James White reminds me a little bit of Ridley. He isn’t impressive at any one category, but he is a solid productive RB. The pick of White shows me that BB is ready to hand the keys of the lead back role back to Ridley this season, which excites me since I love Rid.

Overall, many people will be upset with this Patriots draft (surprise), because they took five linemen (O & D), a quarterback and another slot receiver. Many people saw TE and DE as huge needs and BB did not address these problems. I am perfectly fine with this though because I think beefing up the DL and interior OL were huge things needed to help improve the team. The QB pick obviously is a little bit of a head scratcher, but that is what BB does on Day 2 of the draft every season. This draft wasn’t a sexy draft, but it filled needs and looked into the future, which is never a bad thing to do. Can’t wait until training camp to see the team’s progression.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect I can't see any scenario where more than 3-4 of picks 105-244 are on the team in Sept. good post though...good analysis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like the Easley pick, but what a risk...if this doesn't work out it's all on them for pulling the trigger on someone like that in the first.

The QB in the second bothered me for the simple fact that there were other players there that may of helped us right now. Jimmy may not play for two years - he may never play - we needed to come away with something that would help right now.

For a draft that was considered to be the deepest in years...all we could come up with were backup guards and kids that aren't ready to play, in later rounds?

Im hoping the running back White will contribute and he probably will...Ridley fumbles like it's his job and Vareen gets injured if the wind blows too hard. White may end up being the most dependable back on the roster next year.

I'd give the draft a C. I would of gave it a B if they drafted someone like Landry with our second or Nix. I'll give it an A if Garoppolo turns into a top 5 QB for us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

S/B graded a C-

don't quit ur day job.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like the Easley pick, but what a risk...if this doesn't work out it's all on them for pulling the trigger on someone like that in the first.

The QB in the second bothered me for the simple fact that there were other players there that may of helped us right now. Jimmy may not play for two years - he may never play - we needed to come away with something that would help right now.

For a draft that was considered to be the deepest in years...all we could come up with were backup guards and kids that aren't ready to play, in later rounds?

Im hoping the running back White will contribute and he probably will...Ridley fumbles like it's his job and Vareen gets injured if the wind blows too hard. White may end up being the most dependable back on the roster next year.

I'd give the draft a C. I would of gave it a B if they drafted someone like Landry with our second or Nix. I'll give it an A if Garoppolo turns into a top 5 QB for us.

[/QUOTE]

+1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Its too early to say but I feel this draft was done with an eye towards the future. Only 2 players that I see possible playing next year. Stork and Easley and likely the RB if he sticks. Some big, strong lineman, a WR and DB that will make p/s and compete next year. Gallons could be important next year after they dump Amendola. Nothing to get too excited about but filled some necessary holes. Got the annual sleeper pick with the Div. 2 kid which is fine. Just a typical BB draft that warrants no more than a C grade until players actually play.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

You said they did not do anything to add to the pass rush. That is terribly short sighted. It seems to assume that inside pass rush does not matter. Easley has a good burst and forces the offense to account for him. Paired with a guy like Vinny who is can collapse the pocket and is hard to single team this could add some inside pressure. Inside pressure will also help the outside pressure be more affective. It is how teamwork works!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You said they did not do anything to add to the pass rush. That is terribly short sighted. It seems to assume that inside pass rush does not matter. Easley has a good burst and forces the offense to account for him. Paired with a guy like Vinny who is can collapse the pocket and is hard to single team this could add some inside pressure. Inside pressure will also help the outside pressure be more affective. It is how teamwork works!

[/QUOTE]

I understand that, and its what I love from Easley. but the fact is, Will Smith isn't ready to go yet and Buchanan is a ? so if they don't produce then we will see Jones and Nink playing 90% + snaps again this year which isn't good for them to be consistent off the edge. they didn't address sub rushing situations I meant
    [object HTMLDivElement]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Idk how we can possibly go the WHOLE draft and not take a te.  BB is usually obsessed with drafting te's every year, and the year we have a clear need he doesnt? Makes no sense. I dont care if these guys werent that great im sure amaro, troy niklas, and cj are all upgrades over whoman. We may have not drafted a SINGLE YEAR ONE STARTER.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Idk how we can possibly go the WHOLE draft and not take a te.  BB is usually obsessed with drafting te's every year, and the year we have a clear need he doesnt? Makes no sense. I dont care if these guys werent that great im sure amaro, troy niklas, and cj are all upgrades over whoman. We may have not drafted a SINGLE YEAR ONE STARTER.

[/QUOTE]
    That would bother me if our roster was bad.  That would bother me if we were a mediocre team.  We have a very good team though.  We went to the AFCCG despite several injured starters out.  I get what you are saying about TE, but we don't know what BB has in store offensively for the team this year.  He's probably wishing he could have gotten a TE too.  He clearly didn't feel that those available were more valuable to the long-term success of the team than who he chose.  I'd wager Easley will contribute substantially this year; starter or not.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Easley will play some IF he can stay healthy. Tho you would think with the pats recent rash of injuries bb would be cautious about selecting  A KNOWN injured player in both knees in the 1ST ROUND. I guess gronk, ras i dowling etc hasnt really slowed him down.

My main beef is te, this may have not been the most talented class but many of those guys were HUGE upgrades over whoman in the receiving dept. Fans seem to forget how anemic our offense was when gronk was out. We need an upgrade at TE REGUARDLESS OF Gronk' status.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

I don't see a lot this year. Maybe Easley by mid season if he's healthy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Stork could get the most PT. I wouldn't be surprised if he started bu the end of the year.

Spent more time watching some of his tape and he looked very solid. Rarely seems to get beat, and he's difficult to push backwards.

Looks like an upgrade to Wendell. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCw9swgORs8" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCw9swgORs8

Good analysis by Phil Savage, former Browns GM.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm not entirely sure you can evaluate a draft until you see the results 2 or 3 years later.  That said, overall I like what was done.  I get the concern over TE depth but, with all due respect to those with differing opinions, it appears that things did not unfold such that a TE made sense to the Pats war room.  Not sure that I see any of what was done as a 'reach'.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Easley's potential and BB's need for a pass rusher are both A, but value depends on Easley having a good knee (his previous knee injury is obviously healed) and not blowing anything else out.  He could be a walking medical nightmare, based on his previous record.  I'll give him a C for value.

Mr. Garbagetime gets a B+ for need from me.  BB needs a backup QB in 2015 and they take time to develop.

I don't see anything wrong with the value on the Stork and White picks.  Those really great value picks are mostly history in the fourth round.  White is a shrimp in a position where Danny Woodhead thrived, so I don't hold that against him.  The defense couldn't see Woodhead coming, he was so small.  BB's need in the center of the offensive line, with one guard and a center missing plus Logan Mankins isn't that young, is maybe an A-.

I stop paying attention after round 4.  Many of the sixth rounders are 2 year raw projects, useless in 2014 people that BB can sneak past the September 1 deadline onto the practice squad, much the same as BB's UDFA crop and his early September pickup crew (think Nink).

Sections
Shortcuts