My Important T. Camp Questions and 53-man projection

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: My Important T. Camp Questions and 53-man projection

I think a good question is will Mayo and McCourty be much improved with better players around them? I hear that all the time...Mayo would be a better player with better players around him, you won't see him struggling in coverage, you won't see him getting beat on outside runs, etc. I want to see if that's true, because he'll have Collins next to him and Hightower...he should be better. And McCourty will have better players around him, he may not have to cover as much ground or be left high and dry because the corners may not get smoked as much (see Arrington). I want to see this, because if this happens we will be much improved on D.

I'd like to see James White be a serious contender for playing time, because I'm just tired of the tease that Vareen is. I can't believe this guy is in the last year of his contract and has done so little because of injuries and immaturity (there was an article last year where he said it took him a while to figure out that he had to work hard to be successful for the Patriots). You only had a four year deal, it took you two to realize you needed to work hard? Funny, but you just loved sitting in front of a camera talking like you were doing something when you first got here. 

I want to see if Harmon can play strong safety and I liked the linebacker from Rutgers last year...I want to see him more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think a good question is will Mayo and McCourty be much improved with better players around them? I hear that all the time...Mayo would be a better player with better players around him, you won't see him struggling in coverage, you won't see him getting beat on outside runs, etc. I want to see if that's true, because he'll have Collins next to him and Hightower...he should be better. And McCourty will have better players around him, he may not have to cover as much ground or be left high and dry because the corners may not get smoked as much (see Arrington). I want to see this, because if this happens we will be much improved on D.

I'd like to see James White be a serious contender for playing time, because I'm just tired of the tease that Vareen is. I can't believe this guy is in the last year of his contract and has done so little because of injuries and immaturity (there was an article last year where he said it took him a while to figure out that he had to work hard to be successful for the Patriots). You only had a four year deal, it took you two to realize you needed to work hard? Funny, but you just loved sitting in front of a camera talking like you were doing something when you first got here. 

I want to see if Harmon can play strong safety and I liked the linebacker from Rutgers last year...I want to see him more.

really good points. I would like to add that I think Hightower is going to be exposed as a 2 down player, with opposing teams looking for him in passing match ups.

I saw an interesting thought that Browner will be matched up against opposing teams #1 WR's with over the top help from McCourty, and Revis alone on the #2WR

I disagree on the Vareen issue. In games that he played, his average yards per touch were insane

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

Just wondering.  Does Browner count against the 53-man roster while serving the 4 game suspension?  My guess is no.  That would open up 1 HUGE spot on the roster.  I think BB will keep the 6 WRs and Slater on special teams.  I also think he will have 3 TEs for a little while and maybe all season.  After 4 weeks, these could be the options:

trade or cut Mallet; this allows them to stand pat

cut the least productive of KT, Boyce or even Dobson (I'm worried about his foot.  I think of Bill Walton and Sam Bowie).

cut the least productive of Chung, Tavon W, or perhaps even Dennard (let's face it. He got the dreaded Pats DB disease and regressed.  He also looked chunkier and slower last year.  BTW, I hope Revis got his shots and can avoid said disease).

All of this fits into the Parcells/BB philosophy of churning the roster.  In fact, I think there will be a surprise cut of at least one of the following Vereen (walk year), Bolden (meh), Kelly (camp casualty) Wendell (JAG). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Everybody in football is better with better people around them.  You can't begrudge the Patriots linebackers or even D Backs in coverage when the front has been middle of the road or worse in getting sacks and stopping the run.  It starts up front and works it's way back.

I do agree the RB position will be fun to watch this preseason, that position needs a shakeup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:

Just wondering.  Does Browner count against the 53-man roster while serving the 4 game suspension?  My guess is no.  That would open up 1 HUGE spot on the roster.  I think BB will keep the 6 WRs and Slater on special teams.  I also think he will have 3 TEs for a little while and maybe all season.  After 4 weeks, these could be the options:

trade or cut Mallet; this allows them to stand pat

cut the least productive of KT, Boyce or even Dobson (I'm worried about his foot.  I think of Bill Walton and Sam Bowie).

cut the least productive of Chung, Tavon W, or perhaps even Dennard (let's face it. He got the dreaded Pats DB disease and regressed.  He also looked chunkier and slower last year.  BTW, I hope Revis got his shots and can avoid said disease).

All of this fits into the Parcells/BB philosophy of churning the roster.  In fact, I think there will be a surprise cut of at least one of the following Vereen (walk year), Bolden (meh), Kelly (camp casualty) Wendell (JAG). 

Good Post and I agree. I would think keeping Vareen is a no brainer and groom White to take over next year(lets face it, BB isnt gonna extend Vareen, just like Woody), not his MO. I can see Wendell, Bolden and possible Kelly cut if his rehab is going slow but otherwise my surprise cut would be Boyce. WR position is deep and he was furthest behind last year. I know fans will hate it but he has shown nothing but one decent game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If you can find a guy who is a 2 way, Special Teamer, his job would be in Jeopardy. Only way he gets cut. (Slater)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ronk1's comment:

really good points. I would like to add that I think Hightower is going to be exposed as a 2 down player, with opposing teams looking for him in passing match ups.

I saw an interesting thought that Browner will be matched up against opposing teams #1 WR's with over the top help from McCourty, and Revis alone on the #2WR

I disagree on the Vareen issue. In games that he played, his average yards per touch were insane

If Vareen stays healthy he'd be awesome - and most likely gone after the season because it's his contract year - either way I'm hoping White will be able to come in and really help this team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Everybody in football is better with better people around them.  You can't begrudge the Patriots linebackers or even D Backs in coverage when the front has been middle of the road or worse in getting sacks and stopping the run.  It starts up front and works it's way back.

I do agree the RB position will be fun to watch this preseason, that position needs a shakeup.

I agree, although some of the secondaries we've had recently I wonder how they'd do with a better front because they were poor. It would be nice to see this whole thing come together like it should.

Sections
Shortcuts