MY mock draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hut79. Show hut79's posts

MY mock draft

heres my opinion on the pats and what they SHOULD do in the draft

1st rd #22 (assigned) Jared Odrick 3-4 DE (Penn State 6'5 304 5.06)
    - All though I not that excited with this pick im taking it because jarvis green is gone for  good, seymour is stuck in the graveyard for the nfl (raiders), and mike wright might just be a situational guy. ordrick provides a good rush and he is stout against the run. i dont see the pats taking a 3-4 olb with this pick due to the fact that it is risky to take a college DE and make him a well rounded olb in the nfl.

2nd rd #44 (from Titans) Ricky Sapp 3-4 OLB (Clemson 6'4 252 4.70)

- I really like this guy. i think he is going to be one hell of a olb in the nfl and a guy who can give you consistent pressure and be a 8-12 sack guy for years. hes an fluid athletic freak who drops to the 2nd round because of a severe knee injury that he sustained during he time with the tigers. another plus to sapp is that he ran a far amount of 3-4 in his senior year with defensive cord Kevin Steele whos a saban product and has gained experience with dropping into coverage. 

2nd rd  #47 (from Jags) TRADED to Bears for TE Greg Olsen

- traded for greg olsen. we need some sort of receiving threat that we havent had in the last decade. martz's offensive systems does not have a need for a receiver TE and just signed that blocking TE from the chargers( not gonna take the time to learn his name. glorified lineman.) like the potential of robbie agnone but not as a starter and not for wont be a capable player for another 2-3 years.

2nd rd #53 (assigned) Eric Decker WR (Minnesota 6'3 217 4.55)

-  Decker is personally my favorite wr in the draft. hes a tough do it all scrapper who would fit in well with the patriots offense. with welker being lost till early november we need a wr that can take the pressure of moss and open up the field for edleman and his wes-like abilities. ran a pro offense at minnesota so it should be a nice smooth transition.
    4th rd (assigned) Jeff Bryers OG/C (Southern Cal 6'3 301 5.25) 

- highly touted prospect who had a rough time with injuries but was a star when healthy. hes smart, tough as hell, and versatile (AKA a bill guy). with neal likely to leave in free agency it leave rich ohrnberger who has apparently showed signs of promise and dan connolly who is a good run blocker but block like a 7 year old girl against higher level dt's and de's (shaun ellis had 2 sacks against him). i still think they both show signs of promise but bryers is a guy who if he stayed healthy would have been a sure fire second round pick and maybe a late first rounder.

6th rd (assigned) Sam Young OT (Notre Dame 6'8 316 5.21)

- former Mr. florida football never lived up to the immense hype at notre dame but showed flashes of greatness and in my opinion had a very good senior bowl. he pass protected well and opened up a few wholes in the running game. he obviously ran a patriot like offense for Charlie wiess and seems like a nice pick this late in the draft. 

7th rd (from Philly) Kevin Basped 3-4 olb (Nevada 6-4 258 4.75) 

- great value here but its a really possibility that he goes alot earlier than this. he is the patriots ideal olb and had two 10 sack seasons in a row. brings great pressure and is also a factor in the run.

7th rd (from Denver) Torrell Troup 3-4 de (Central Florida 6'3 314 5.12) 

- i really like troup. hes a great 3-4 end and if you look at the pats draft history they love to draft dlinemen late in the draft. this kid is good against the run and good enough to apply pressure on the qb. 

some will say that we need to draft a running back but besides Ryan matthews who is a pat hill product im not completely sold that the guys in the draft are everydown backs. with matthews blowing up the combine theres little to no chance the pats can get him without trading up and that would not be a great move. i like green ellis, taylors got a year left in him, maroneys junk, and morris is good when healthy. this can wait one more year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: MY mock draft

VERY solid draft

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Of course you are just mocking and hoping everything falls as planned,with BB this nor any other mock draft holds much credence.. Though I like your thoughts on the tenor of the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

would like to see RB addressed in the second, but other than that very cool.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

of all the great WRs that could fall to 53 id have to say that second round is way to high to take Decker
    Desmon Briscoe
    demayius Thomas
    Brandon LaFell
    Riley Cooper 
    Marty Gilyard...
    maybe Golden Tate
    just to name a few
    id take any of those over Decker, maybe a 4th rounded for decker

another thing too, I do not see us taking that many DEs and OLBs in the draft, maybe one or two tops... i think there will be at least one RB, maybe gerhart or Dixon
    we probably wont even have any of those selections because BB does such a great job moving up in the draft, i could see us trading one of our twos for a #1 next year, that would be sweet

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Illmatic1. Show Illmatic1's posts

In Response to Re: MY mock draft:
    would like to see RB addressed in the second, but other than that very cool.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Agree, RB needs to be addressed! There's too much talent in the RB position this year to not get one. I possible see Best or Hardesty being available. I love Mathews but the Chargers are probably going to draft him. Who knows with the Pats, they'll probably take a TE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

Love it.....I'd be so happy if this was the result.

Couple things, I would love to see a RB in the second round. Sapp sure is a good pick though.

Punter? gonna need one right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

Hey, you forgot that we only have two quarterbacks on the roster?
    What about Tim Tebow? There's a mock draft that has the patriots drafting Tebow. http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php
    and also his teammate TE Aaron Hernandez at no. 53 http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-2.php

In Response to MY mock draft:
    heres my opinion on the pats and what they SHOULD do in the draft 1st rd #22 (assigned) Jared Odrick 3-4 DE (Penn State 6'5 304 5.06) - All though I not that excited with this pick im taking it because jarvis green is gone for  good, seymour is stuck in the graveyard for the nfl (raiders), and mike wright might just be a situational guy. ordrick provides a good rush and he is stout against the run. i dont see the pats taking a 3-4 olb with this pick due to the fact that it is risky to take a college DE and make him a well rounded olb in the nfl. 2nd rd #44 (from Titans) Ricky Sapp 3-4 OLB (Clemson 6'4 252 4.70) - I really like this guy. i think he is going to be one hell of a olb in the nfl and a guy who can give you consistent pressure and be a 8-12 sack guy for years. hes an fluid athletic freak who drops to the 2nd round because of a severe knee injury that he sustained during he time with the tigers. another plus to sapp is that he ran a far amount of 3-4 in his senior year with defensive cord Kevin Steele whos a saban product and has gained experience with dropping into coverage.  2nd rd    #47 (from Jags) TRADED to Bears for TE Greg Olsen - traded for greg olsen. we need some sort of receiving threat that we havent had in the last decade. martz's offensive systems does not have a need for a receiver TE and just signed that blocking TE from the chargers( not gonna take the time to learn his name. glorified lineman.) like the potential of robbie agnone but not as a starter and not for wont be a capable player for another 2-3 years. 2nd rd #53 (assigned) Eric Decker WR (Minnesota 6'3 217 4.55) -  Decker is personally my favorite wr in the draft. hes a tough do it all scrapper who would fit in well with the patriots offense. with welker being lost till early november we need a wr that can take the pressure of moss and open up the field for edleman and his wes-like abilities. ran a pro offense at minnesota so it should be a nice smooth transition. 4th rd (assigned)  Jeff Bryers OG/C (Southern Cal 6'3 301 5.25)  - highly touted prospect who had a rough time with injuries but was a star when healthy. hes smart, tough as hell, and versatile (AKA a bill guy). with neal likely to leave in free agency it leave rich ohrnberger who has apparently showed signs of promise and dan connolly who is a good run blocker but block like a 7 year old girl against higher level dt's and de's (shaun ellis had 2 sacks against him). i still think they both show signs of promise but bryers is a guy who if he stayed healthy would have been a sure fire second round pick and maybe a late first rounder. 6th rd (assigned) Sam Young OT (Notre Dame 6'8 316 5.21) - former Mr. florida football never lived up to the immense hype at notre dame but showed flashes of greatness and in my opinion had a very good senior bowl. he pass protected well and opened up a few wholes in the running game. he obviously ran a patriot like offense for Charlie wiess and seems like a nice pick this late in the draft.  7th rd (from Philly) Kevin Basped 3-4 olb (Nevada 6-4 258 4.75)  - great value here but its a really possibility that he goes alot earlier than this. he is the patriots ideal olb and had two 10 sack seasons in a row. brings great pressure and is also a factor in the run. 7th rd (from Denver) Torrell Troup 3-4 de (Central Florida 6'3 314 5.12)  - i really like troup. hes a great 3-4 end and if you look at the pats draft history they love to draft dlinemen late in the draft. this kid is good against the run and good enough to apply pressure on the qb.  some will say that we need to draft a running back but besides Ryan matthews who is a pat hill product im not completely sold that the guys in the draft are everydown backs. with matthews blowing up the combine theres little to no chance the pats can get him without trading up and that would not be a great move. i like green ellis, taylors got a year left in him, maroneys junk, and morris is good when healthy. this can wait one more year. 
    Posted by hut79

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I like the first two picks. I don't like Olsen's fit with this team. He's a bad blocker and that's the number one priority for this team. With 7 OG/C on the team, I don't see us drafting another. Young is an interesting possibility. If drafted, he'd be unlikely to make the team. TE, QB, or P would make more sense. Basped might be there that late. Decker is about the 17th rated WR prospect. That says to me that he should be there in the 4th round. Torell Troup is far too down in your mock. He will likely be gone by the end of the 3rd round and maybe even at the end of the second.

Mine would be:
    1. Odrick
    2. Sapp
    2. Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona - excellent blocker, decent enough receiver
    2. Dexter McClustor, RB/WR, Mississippi - one of the more traditional backs might be better here, but McClustor gives the Pats a potential 3rd down back of the future, immediate receiving help, solving perhaps both the RB and WR issue at once, and special teams
    4. George Selvie, OLB, South Florida - not quite enough speed, right size, good potential as SAM backer
    6. Zoltan Mescoe, P, Michigan - best punter in the draft
    6 (likely comp). Mike Kafka, QB, Northwestern - smart, confident QB
    7. Nathan Overbay, TE, Eastern Washington - great size for TE, good competition for TE spot
    7. Verran Tucker, WR, California - type of size that you want as well as decent speed, competing for final receiver spot
    7 (likely comp). AJ Wallace, CB, Penn State - decent size and speed, competition for roster spot ... unlikely?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Have you seen the utube on Ordick, he looks horrible! If you dont take Gerhard with one of your picks you are messing up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hut79. Show hut79's posts

I like the first two picks. I don't like Olsen's fit with this team. He's a bad blocker and that's the number one priority for this team. With 7 OG/C on the team, I don't see us drafting another. Young is an interesting possibility. If drafted, he'd be unlikely to make the team. TE, QB, or P would make more sense. Basped might be there that late. Decker is about the 17th rated WR prospect. That says to me that he should be there in the 4th round. Torell Troup is far too down in your mock. He will likely be gone by the end of the 3rd round and maybe even at the end of the second. Mine would be: 1. Odrick 2. Sapp 2. Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona - excellent blocker, decent enough receiver 2. Dexter McClustor, RB/WR, Mississippi - one of the more traditional backs might be better here, but McClustor gives the Pats a potential 3rd down back of the future, immediate receiving help, solving perhaps both the RB and WR issue at once, and special teams 4. George Selvie, OLB, South Florida - not quite enough speed, right size, good potential as SAM backer 6. Zoltan Mescoe, P, Michigan - best punter in the draft 6 (likely comp). Mike Kafka, QB, Northwestern - smart, confident QB 7. Nathan Overbay, TE, Eastern Washington - great size for TE, good competition for TE spot 7. Verran Tucker, WR, California - type of size that you want as well as decent speed, competing for final receiver spot 7 (likely comp). AJ Wallace, CB, Penn State - decent size and speed, competition for roster spot ... unlikely?
    Posted by KyleCleric2

you make alot of really good points kyle, hears my response to some of your points. belichick heavily scouted olsen coming out of college but ultimately decided meriweather was the smarter pick due to the need and the fact that he should have been a top 20 pick. i like gronkowski but he also played a texas tech like spread at arizona and has a bad back. hes risky but a good player. dont put to much stock into where decker or any of these prospects are rated because the pats will take a guy they want regardless of where it is in the draft(vollmer was considered a 5-7 round guy, they took him in the second round and will be a great left tackle). im also not that big on mccluster in the second round. what we need is a guy who can carry the ball 20-25 times not spend a pick we need on a guy who gets 7 carries a game and is a 3rd down back only. i not a selvie guy at all, hes slow always injured and as soon as the spotlight is on him he chokes and cant get half the sacks he did his sophomore year. mescoes a good pick, we need a punter badly and i hate hanson. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hut79. Show hut79's posts

Hey, you forgot that we only have two quarterbacks on the roster? What about Tim Tebow? There's a mock draft that has the patriots drafting Tebow. http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php and also his teammate TE Aaron Hernandez at no. 53 http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-2.php In Response to MY mock draft :
    Posted by longhairjoe
    i think tebow would be a huge waste of a pick. hes about 3 years from being remotely capable nfl qb and we have so much more needs than quaterback. i think aaron hernandez will be a ok te in the nfl but not for the pats, to short for bb, the spread inflated his numbers, plus he's not a good blocker. rather spend that pick on a proven tight end in the nfl and it looks like the pats are sniffing around greg olsen

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

You're probably right that round doesn't matter. I just don't see the Pats using a 2nd rounder on a WR unless they know that they're getting someone who can produce right away. I was reluctant to even put one in the mock at the end of the draft. My feeling at WR, is that the Pats will sign or trade for a WR who will be around a year or two, just to be a bridge for Edelman and Tate and perhaps the WR we draft w/ the Raiders pick next year, hoping one of Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, and AJ Green.

I originally had Gerhart as my pick instead of McClustor. I figured I'd go with McClustor because of the possibility of targeting Mark Ingram with that Raiders pick next year and since we have a trio of backs that can pick up the carries, Taylor, Morris, and Maroney. Also, McClustor was to me a possible solution to the WR production problem as well as the RB youth issue. Instead of drafting a power back and a downfield receiver, I'm drafting someone who can carry the ball in at least spread formations, can lineup outside or in the slot, and provide legitimate matchup and speed issues for other teams.

On a side note, I'm a huge fan of Mike Kafka and would love to see him in a Patriots uniform.

Sections
Shortcuts