My Point of View

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: My Point of View

Whoa, lets not get carried away. While I have been critical of some of the GM decisions made, especially in free agency, I want BB as the leader of this org as coach and GM. 

That being said, the org must make some decisions on its players behavior. Ocho head butting his wife, Albert in legal trouble, Dennerd in legal trouble, now AH, etc, etc. there are teams that take these guys off the draft board. At this time, I don't care that Dennerd was too great a value at 7 round. I don't care that AH was too good a value at 4 round. Time to clean up the team. 

Is it possible that the org knew the Fla situation was going to be made public hence the Tebow signing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

BB is, in my opinion, the best coach in the game.   In addition, one of his strengths is figuring out how to utilize players to maximize their strengths and how to select a group of players that complement each other well and make a good team. This latter skill helps make him a good GM.

Where I think we've seen some failings (and they may be attributable to the whole player acquisition team, not just BB) are:

1.  Player evaluation--the Pats in my opinion are average here; not terrible, but they've had enough misses to make this an area where improvement should be a goal

2. Overall player acquisition strategy--the strategy has been very focused on cap management and value. That has many benefits.  It gives the Pats flexibility to bring in lots of complementary mid level players every year; it generally means extra picks, a plus given the Pats low drafting position; and it has kept the Pats from being forced into drastic moves by cap problems.  However, it has also made it hard to acquire enough championship calibre talent.  And trying to find value in lower picks has meant the Pats have taken a lot of risks on players that have slipped because of injury or character.  Unti recently, picks like Gronk and Hern have seemed to validate this strategy and more than offset the failures of guys like Ras-I Dowling and others.  But with Gronk repeatedly missing big games and undergoing multiple surgeries and now Hern looking like he may not play because of criminal activity, those showpieces of the value strategy are tarnished.  It may be time to question the whole approach.

What I think the Pats need to do is not fire Belichick or take away his GM duties.  Instead they need to do three things:

1. Refine their value strategy--maybe not throw it out altogether, but reconsider the balance between going for value and going for potentially more costly but more certain and reliable quality. 

2. Improve player evaluation processes.  This may require a revamp of the scouting organization if the right information is not being gathered or it may mean a change in the way information is shared and evaluated. 

3. Strengthen controls--they need to review how final decisions about players are made and whether there is sufficient due diligence occurring before decisions are made.  Many other teams saw the warning flags with Hern.  Why did the Pats either not see them or choose to ignore them?  

These three things are not wholesale changes.  They don't reqiure firing BB or changing his role.  They simply are adjustments that any business would make to react to a failure and ensure continuous improvement.  The start though is to recognize that while things are generally working very well in Patsland, there are still some areas where opportunities to improve are evident.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You guys may know me from the B's side of things.  I rarely post on your side other than to kick dirt at Rusty, but do read here often.  To say the least, I'm a Pats fan.  I have been all my life.

Anyway, this Hernandez stuff is pretty bad news, but not all that surprising.  He's a bad guy, plain and simple.  After reading about all of his failed drug tests, I never wanted him to make the team.  That's just not the type of player that I like to cheer for...ever. 

This embarrassment to the franchise and to us fans will hopefully be the final embarrassment that Belichick has the opportunity to create.  Aside from his poor personnel decisions and current streak of seasons ending without Superbowl victories, change is good. 

To me (and many fans), Belichick isn't the Patriots.  Tom Brady is. 

I think it's time to send Belichick on his way.  This opinion may or may not be shared here.  Some of my friends agree, others don't.  I just wanted to check in with an opinion from a regular, everyday Pats fan.  You guys are hardcore, just like we are for hockey over at the B's side.  I can fully respect that.

(And to my fellow Pats fans, I'm sorry this is happening to you/us.  We all take great pride in our teams.  This is terrible.)

I respect your opinion, but I don't see it that way at all.  This is not happening to you, me, or the team.  The situation relates to choices that one of the players made concerning his personal life.  For his sake, as well as his loved-ones, I hope that he was not part of what happened to that poor man.  But, as far as the team goes, they move on without him, if necessary.  Ultimately, one of the great things about a Belichick-led team is its ability to deal with adversity and changing team dynamics.  I can't think of anyone who has ever done it better than BB and I see no reason to replace him.  It's because of him that this team is where it is, year after year.  Sure, I would love to see this team win another Super Bowl.  With him here, I think I have a very good chance of seeing that happen.  Yes, I was more than just a little disappointed that they came up short, the last two times there.  But, consider that they were there, just two seasons ago and came within just a couple of minutes of winning it all.  No, I have absolutely no desire to change something that continues to bring such positive results.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

I respect your opinion, but I don't see it that way at all.  This is not happening to you, me, or the team.  The situation relates to choices that one of the players made concerning his personal life.  For his sake, as well as his loved-ones, I hope that he was not part of what happened to that poor man.  But, as far as the team goes, they move on without him, if necessary.  Ultimately, one of the great things about a Belichick-led team is its ability to deal with adversity and changing team dynamics.  I can't think of anyone who has ever done it better than BB and I see no reason to replace him.  It's because of him that this team is where it is, year after year.  Sure, I would love to see this team win another Super Bowl.  With him here, I think I have a very good chance of seeing that happen.  Yes, I was more than just a little disappointed that they came up short, the last two times there.  But, consider that they were there, just two seasons ago and came within just a couple of minutes of winning it all.  No, I have absolutely no desire to change something that continues to bring such positive results.

I used to be okay with decent playoff performances.  In fact, I used to be okay with just getting there!  These days, if they're going to be so, so fantastic that they don't need to change the coach for over a decade, I'm expecting Superbowl victories.

Where you say they came up short the last two times, I say they came up short the last eight times.  First or second in the division year after year, not parades that follow...year after year.  People may think I'm being harsh on Belichick, but hey, he picks the players and he tells them what to do.  From my point of view, it's just not working.  It's not like they won three years ago and came up short for two years straight.  They haven't won it all for a long time yet don't change the most powerful person in the organization.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

I hear you.  How about this as another thought.  TB has had an awesome career and continues to have tremendous regular seasons.  However, his playoff performances have seemingly declined.  Is it possible that it's more the qb and not the HC that has been the issue?  To me, that's the change that is going to have to be dealt with, likely within the next several years.  Personally, I'm very interested to see what happens when that time arrives.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I hear you.  How about this as another thought.  TB has had an awesome career and continues to have tremendous regular seasons.  However, his playoff performances have seemingly declined.  Is it possible that it's more the qb and not the HC that has been the issue?  To me, that's the change that is going to have to be dealt with, likely within the next several years.  Personally, I'm very interested to see what happens when that time arrives.

Respectfully, The QB broke 2 SB offensive records in his last appearance and had the lead until the D took the field for the last time.  (both games!) 

They win that game, TB is MVP hands down!

Regardless, It's the coach/GM's responsibility to put the best product on the field.

If he's playing with a crappy D, IT"S HIS FAULT!

If he is playing with a crappy QB, it's also HIS FAULT!

If he's playing with the 27th ranked special team, It's HIS fault.

If he does not want to take the ball out of the QB's hand, because he feels that QB is the best option, it's HIS fault.

Qb's can't win games alone.  They need receivers that don't drop balls at alarming rates (7 in one game)

They need RB's that can break a big one or at least punch in a score from the 1.

They need defenses that can get off the field and not limit their own offenses opportunities, because of that pesky little issue of not being able to stop a 3rd down conversion or make a single goal line stand, a single 3 & out or a single turn over!.

The decline is not the QB's.  It's all of the above!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Some fine posts in this thread but it all  simply boils down to this as a few have pointed out so far... Wins and losses and how those translate into moeny. I also am in the Muz camp BB needs to stay in the same capacity that he is in presently. BB, TB and Bob Kraft are the best things to happen to this franchise and as a season ticket holder I for one am not ready for the ride to end. Everybody makes mistakes but when your organization is as successful as the Pat's they just seem to stick out more than other organizations mistakes. just my 2 cents.

Amen...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll be honest with you.  I'm just a fan of the team.  I enjoy watching them play.  I love it when they win and it drives me crazy (for a little while anyway) when they lose.  I have followed them since 1979 and I couldn't tell you anything about their stats.  Yes, I am ignorant of such things.  So, I will simply acknowledge that you clearly know much more about such things than I do.  Still, when I watch the games I feel that I am seeing a different TB than what I used to see, particularly when it comes to post-season games.  I know that is a weak argument to make, but it's all that I've got.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What exactly do you think was so bad about his 91 and 82 passer ratings with 3 TDs and 1 INt in the last two SBs Rusty? Oh, and in 2007 he was sacked 5 times and 2012 he had multiple passes dropped.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Respectfully, The QB broke 2 SB offensive records in his last appearance and had the lead until the D took the field for the last time.  (both games!) 

Regardless, It's the coach/GM's responsibility to put the best product on the field.

If he does not want to take the ball out of the QB's hand, because he feels that QB is the best option, it's HIS fault.

Qb's can't win games alone.  They need receivers that don't drop balls at alarming rates (7 in one game)

They need RB's that can break a big one or at least punch in a score from the 1.

They need defenses that can get off the field and not limit their own offenses opportunities, because of that pesky little issue of not being able to stop a 3rd down conversion or make a single goal line stand, a single 3 & out or a single turn over!.

It's just the Village Imbecile with yet another fake account.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  my point of view is that ballplayers -- much like actors -- are not really human. They're entertainment as far as I'm concerned and I'm not interested in what kind of didoes they get up to when I'm not watching.

Raped some chick in a bathroom?

Abandoned your family for a gaggle of truckstop slatterns?

Killed a guy?

Wow . . .   I guess you're a bad person, which affects my life not at all.

It's true enough that I won't cheer for the kind of person who does these kinds of things, but Aaron Hernandez (and all those other guys I didn't specifically mention) is a cog in a wheel that's going to keep turning long after nobody is talking about Aaron Hernandez and we've moved on to the next arrested adolescent who thinks no rule of law or morals can bind him because he happened to win the genetic lottery.

In football, moreso than in any other sport, where you rarely even see the players faces, Jerry Seinfeld was right. Ultimately, I root for the laundry and I'm willing to bet many of you do, too. To me, the  Pats are a symbol of the region where I grew up and my passion for them has evolved as I've grown weary with the world, but at its core the Pats winning the Super Bowl means that "we" are better than "them."

With a bare handful of exceptions, it wouldn't matter  in the least to me which particular players accomplished that goal, just as it does not matter to me that some guy I will never meet turns out to be just about exactly what everybody already knew he was. Hell . . .  we all interact with scumbags and weirdos on a daily basis and don't even know it most of the time.

I guess what I'm really trying to say (in my inimmitable long-winded fashion) is that I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Next man up.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling that this would happen.

No...I'm not anyone but myself.  I typically just read all of you guys while I'm at work.  I rarely ever post.  Over the past 12 years, I've posted maybe a couple of a dozen times.  You guys are like some of those tv characters I watch on TV.  Usaully,  I just tune in for a good laugh to watch how you all interact.  It's fun to see how some of your personalities clash.

Anyway, I just have my opinion.  Believe it or not, I don't express an opinion just to upset your or anyone else.  I'm perfectly okay with you not agreeing with me.  There are lots of opinions that I read on this site that I don't agree with, but I don't take them as personal attacks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Well . . .  my point of view is that ballplayers -- much like actors -- are not really human. They're entertainment as far as I'm concerned and I'm not interested in what kind of didoes they get up to when I'm not watching.

Raped some chick in a bathroom?

Abandoned your family for a gaggle of truckstop slatterns?

Killed a guy?

Wow . . .   I guess you're a bad person, which affects my life not at all.

It's true enough that I won't cheer for the kind of person who does these kinds of things, but Aaron Hernandez (and all those other guys I didn't specifically mention) is a cog in a wheel that's going to keep turning long after nobody is talking about Aaron Hernandez and we've moved on to the next arrested adolescent who thinks no rule of law or morals can bind him because he happened to win the genetic lottery.

In football, moreso than in any other sport, where you rarely even see the players faces, Jerry Seinfeld was right. Ultimately, I root for the laundry and I'm willing to bet many of you do, too. To me, the  Pats are a symbol of the region where I grew up and my passion for them has evolved as I've grown weary with the world, but at its core the Pats winning the Super Bowl means that "we" are better than "them."

With a bare handful of exceptions, it wouldn't matter  in the least to me which particular players accomplished that goal, just as it does not matter to me that some guy I will never meet turns out to be just about exactly what everybody already knew he was. Hell . . .  we all interact with scumbags and weirdos on a daily basis and don't even know it most of the time.

I guess what I'm really trying to say (in my inimmitable long-winded fashion) is that I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Next man up.

Exactly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Well, if so, I take back the," respectfully" part.  LOl

It's funny how people see things differently.  Something like 75% of all witness, will see things in a different light.....All influenced by perspective and other influencing factors.  Mood, perspective, prejudices, anticipation,  all play a part.

One sees a bad throw, one see's a drop, one sees both and one sees nothing and goes on the thought of another, and some prefer to take a contrary view, regardless of the facts.

Facts are all listed.

The D grossly underperformed, the receivers dropped numerous balls, the St did nothing to help, the  RB's couldn't get it done when it mattered, and they are all a reflection of the coach/gm, who put the product on the field. 

Blaming a QB, who has nothing to do with any of that, is just silly.

It's like blaming the last car in a 10 car chain reaction crash, for the accident.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  I'll tell you, Mel, it's pretty funny, in retrospect, to hear the owner praising Tebow as a paragon of virtue (which, apparently, he is) and proclaiming that the Patriots could use a little more "spirituality" mere comparative moments before the whole Hernandez kerfuffle blew up right in his face.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes, you know it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

BB is, in my opinion, the best coach in the game.   In addition, one of his strengths is figuring out how to utilize players to maximize their strengths and how to select a group of players that complement each other well and make a good team. This latter skill helps make him a good GM.

Where I think we've seen some failings (and they may be attributable to the whole player acquisition team, not just BB) are:

1.  Player evaluation--the Pats in my opinion are average here; not terrible, but they've had enough misses to make this an area where improvement should be a goal

2. Overall player acquisition strategy--the strategy has been very focused on cap management and value. That has many benefits.  It gives the Pats flexibility to bring in lots of complementary mid level players every year; it generally means extra picks, a plus given the Pats low drafting position; and it has kept the Pats from being forced into drastic moves by cap problems.  However, it has also made it hard to acquire enough championship calibre talent.  And trying to find value in lower picks has meant the Pats have taken a lot of risks on players that have slipped because of injury or character.  Unti recently, picks like Gronk and Hern have seemed to validate this strategy and more than offset the failures of guys like Ras-I Dowling and others.  But with Gronk repeatedly missing big games and undergoing multiple surgeries and now Hern looking like he may not play because of criminal activity, those showpieces of the value strategy are tarnished.  It may be time to question the whole approach.

What I think the Pats need to do is not fire Belichick or take away his GM duties.  Instead they need to do three things:

1. Refine their value strategy--maybe not throw it out altogether, but reconsider the balance between going for value and going for potentially more costly but more certain and reliable quality. 

2. Improve player evaluation processes.  This may require a revamp of the scouting organization if the right information is not being gathered or it may mean a change in the way information is shared and evaluated. 

3. Strengthen controls--they need to review how final decisions about players are made and whether there is sufficient due diligence occurring before decisions are made.  Many other teams saw the warning flags with Hern.  Why did the Pats either not see them or choose to ignore them?  

These three things are not wholesale changes.  They don't reqiure firing BB or changing his role.  They simply are adjustments that any business would make to react to a failure and ensure continuous improvement.  The start though is to recognize that while things are generally working very well in Patsland, there are still some areas where opportunities to improve are evident.

I agree.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

What p-mike said, it's the laundry. Fans will rationalize bad behavior, to a point, if the badly behaving individual helps the team. The second he leaves or becomes ineffective, fuggedaboutit, he's a bum and the lowest form of existence ever.

Come to think of it, women are that way too...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Whoa, lets not get carried away. While I have been critical of some of the GM decisions made, especially in free agency, I want BB as the leader of this org as coach and GM. 

That being said, the org must make some decisions on its players behavior. Ocho head butting his wife, Albert in legal trouble, Dennerd in legal trouble, now AH, etc, etc. there are teams that take these guys off the draft board. At this time, I don't care that Dennerd was too great a value at 7 round. I don't care that AH was too good a value at 4 round. Time to clean up the team. 

Is it possible that the org knew the Fla situation was going to be made public hence the Tebow signing?

This was discussed this week on radio and I've got to tell yeah, if they did know about this and tried to cover it up, then smooth it with some Tebow...it's a disgrace. We will never know and I'm hoping they didn't know.

Do I want Belichick removed? Hell no! This guy as a coach is the best we have ever had...and ever will have.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I had a feeling that this would happen.

No...I'm not anyone but myself.  I typically just read all of you guys while I'm at work.  I rarely ever post.  Over the past 12 years, I've posted maybe a couple of a dozen times.  You guys are like some of those tv characters I watch on TV.  Usaully,  I just tune in for a good laugh to watch how you all interact.  It's fun to see how some of your personalities clash.

Anyway, I just have my opinion.  Believe it or not, I don't express an opinion just to upset your or anyone else.  I'm perfectly okay with you not agreeing with me.  There are lots of opinions that I read on this site that I don't agree with, but I don't take them as personal attacks.

Whenever someone questions the play of the great Tom Brady they get labeled Rusty. It's one of the ugly warts on the face of this forum. Don't let them stop you from posting.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the support.

It is kind of bizzare how some people react to other peoples' points of view.  I've never understood why people get so defensive.

Thankfully, they don't account for everyone here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

This all sound great Pro...but...that means we would have to hire someone with authority over BB to keep him in line.  Essentially GM 1A.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Well said pezz.  The BB is God crowd just can't see facts through the halo.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Based upon what we know of the Belichick we have grown to admire and question, I think that it is safe to say, that is never going to happen.  He's either all in, or he takes his ball and goes elsewhere.  I, for one, have no problem staying the course.  Overall, he seems to have worked out pretty nicely, so far.

Sections
Shortcuts