My Power Rankins for the NFL as of right Now

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: My Power Rankins for the NFL as of right Now

In Response to My Power Rankins for the NFL as of right Now:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, talk about leading with your chin, LOL...I can't wait to witness the bashing you're about to take, dude!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

and that chin should end up with many more stitches than Favre got yesterday....he should try leading with his brain...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to My Power Rankins for the NFL as of right Now:
    My NFL Power Rankings (No bias of course) 1.) Steelers (Most people wont like this, but when it counts, you know Steeltown is the team you dont want to play) 2.) Giants ( they are by far and away the best team in the NFC )  3.) Patriots (Despite the defense giving up yards, we are top 5 in T/O diff. and #1 in Scoring, best situational team) 4.) Titans (Did you see that run yesterdat by C.J.?, they have two good vet. QB options, and the best D-line at attacking QB's) 5.) Ravens (have the best defensive player in the game, and a gamechanger in Bolden) 6.) Packers ( they are bnged up, but still competing. Will be a force when healthy) 7.) Jets (I know the trolls dont like this spot, but they put up a 0 after a bye week, and their QB still has some issues) 8.) Colts ( Have to give them that, just for having Manning,and they still have 2 very good pass rushers that will keep them in any game) 9.) Falcons (Very good young Trio of QB, RB, and WR) 10.) Cheifs ( Cassel is looking good, and they have weapons and a good "D" coordinator)   Best of the Rest .  Texans, Saints, Dolphins These teams all can still win their division technically, but most likely to be fighting for a wild card.  I know some will question how the Saints are here and Pitt is on top after yesterdays game, but I look at records and shedules and consistency as well.  Saints may have won, but they havent been consistent and are behind the Falcons...
    Posted by patsfan76
    ...that's about right for the Jets. They put up a real stinker

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

NE is clearly the best with the best record. It's only fair.

Also, NE beat Balt, Pitt's only loss. 

NFC is clearly still weaker than AFC.

I also think people overrate Pitt. Their offense is so average.  Their D is great, but the irony is, NE matches up really well against them and that Blitzburgh style D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

How on Earth can you rank the Steelers better than the Pats? The Steelers would be 4-3, if the zebras don't fix that game last week with several horrendous calls.  In comparison, the Pats overcame three bads calls yesterday and three bad calls last week, among others.

In addition, the Steelers caught another controversial, game-winning "break" earlier this season, though I forget in which game.  That would make them 3-4, if the zebras did their job ethically.

As for the Giants, they have a worse record than the Pats and have beaten largely junky teams - Carolina, Chicago, Detroit and Dallas. They only beat one "good" team, the Texans.

Your rankings lack logic.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Football Outsiders has the Giants, Steelers and Pats in the top 3 in that order.  Of course, the Pats have owned the Steelers all decade and the Giants, well, I don't think the ball will be sticking to any helmets this time.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I can appreciate that the Pats are in the top 3, I don't think they need to be #1 to be recognized as a pretty good team.  Let's revisit this in the next month as the Pats play in Cleveland, Indy, Pittsburg and (haha) a Detroit team at home that has managed to stay in games and put up some points.  If they go 3-1 or 4-0 in that stretch, that will tell us a lot about this team. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a0460a749-32be-4665-ad2b-137b0ca8a352&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:0460a749-32be-4665-ad2b-137b0ca8a352Post:8acff5af-e9d0-42e3-9c51-298b8085336f">Re: My Power Rankins for the NFL as of right Now:
    Another thing I factor in is matchups, and last time I looked the Giants have the same team that beat us down....so Yes, I have the Giants rated ahead of us.  The same thing you said of the Steelers could be said of the Pats.  We have been really lucky the past 3 weeks.  Yeah, luck is part of it, but we got a gift in S.D. and records dont matter that much.  I go by matchups, Qb, defenses, etc.  You dont have to like them, but please give me another argument besides Pats should be #1.  That sounds kind of like Homerism.  Records change every week and next week we could be in 2nd place again real fast, so Stop Gushing over  having the best record in week 7.  We have beat San Diego (2-6) are they.  The BIlls, what 0-7 and we barley beat them right?....Anyone can play that game, I choose to factor in other things..All we can do is see how it plays out.
    Posted by patsfan76

First, the Pats have generally not gotten "lucky" calls from the officiating in 2010, but quite the opposite (a trend since 2005). List the the bad calls or non-calls that helped them beat the Chargers? They won playing intelligent, well-coached football and you consider that some kind of fluke or con.  Why?

On the contrary, the Steelers have won two games on bad calls. Not "luck".  Bad calls. And they have won fewer games.

As for beating the Bills, I guess you haven't noticed how tough the Bills have been playing teams this year. Their average loss is by only 4.57 points, and that includes the highly controversial loss last week to the Ravens. One writer claimed it to be the worst NFL officiating call in the past 10 years, for the Ray Lewis take-away on the play that should have been whistled dead on forward progress in O.T.

The Giants play in a decidedly weak conference, beating decidedly weak teams.  Their blah division is playing .482 ball. They were embarrassed by a greatly diminished Colts' team, barely beat the Cowboys (now considered by many to be the worst team in the league), barely beat the woeful Bears and Lions, and got crushed by the good Titans.  They only convincingly beat one good team, the Texans.

The Pats play in the third-toughest division.

The Steelers play in the fourth-toughest division.

The Giants play in the fifth-toughest division.

Of the three teams, only the Pats are playing in a winning division (.536 vs. .500 and .482). Take away the gift games to the Steelers and the AFC East is even more tough and the AFC North is even more weak.

The Giants are not the same team that beat the Pats in 2007...on a flukey play...with the clock stopped for more than 30 mysterious seconds on their final scoring drive in the waning minutes of the game...given four time-outs in the second half...and with Manning clearly in-the-grasp before the Miracle Catch...while the Giants' O-line was allowed to hold Pats' pass rushers interminably.  They don't have Michael Strahan nor Plaxico Burris, for starters, who were two of their best players on that team.

The Pats have beaten the 'Fins, the Ravens, the Bengals, the Chargers, the Bills, and Minny.  Three of those teams are seriously considered to be in the play-offs hunt. The Pats lost to one other of those such teams, the Jets, by 14 points, their only loss.  In the Giants' two losses, they lost by 24 and 19 points, in both cases to AFC teams.

The Pats have the best QB in the league this year.  They have the leading tackler.  They are averaging more offensive points.  They've a new, excellent punter and a top five kicker and top five K.O. returner.  The have on eof the best blocking TEs in the league, the best slot recevier in the league and one of the best pass-catching TEs in the league. The have arguably the best draft class of rookies playing of any team today. They inarguably have the best coach and the best ownership.

When you call me a homer you betray your ignorance and prejudice in the quest to prove your obtuse opinions.  Read my posts from the pre-season and the first few games and I predicted they would lose to the Jets (right) and finish about 8-8 or 9-7 this season (obviously wrong), which I considered (and still consider) a rebuilding season. Ask Russ Griswold if he thinks I am a homer.

As for reasons, I gave you a bunch and you ignored them.  While I countered yours with specifics, you largely skipped mine.

The reason you are going to catch a lot of flak for your list is not because you are presenting it to Pats fans that you consider homers, but because it is unfair and poorly reasoned and it is presented to Pats fans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: My Power Rankins for the NFL as of right Now:
    Those will all be tough games including Detroit who just upset the Skins, but Shanny made a terrible move and inserted Rex Grossman at the end, even though they still had a chance to win. I can understand people wanting to see us # 1, but if you look at our recent wins, we have squeaked by and done so with some lucky breaks.  The Giants have just obliterated people.  The fact is if they do have an easy shedule like some say, atleast they are taking care of them handily.  We havent had one blowout game except for Miami.I can bring in the stats but I dont think you really want to see them.  Pats are 23rd in total offense, and are 18th in passing, and 16th in rushing.  Very respectable numbers. Pats are 26th in Total defense, and are 30th against a run, but a respectable 10th in rushing. Our 3rd down offense is a formidable at 12, but our 3rd down Defense is horrible at # 30. This is the worst of them.  The top 5 teams in 3rd downs converted are Indy, Chicago, Dallas, GIants, Houston. Fact is, if we dont turn the other team over, we will struggle to contain teams from scoring 30 on us every sunday.
    Posted by patsfan76

Now take the high-lighted statement and make a few changes:

"Brett Favre never sexually harassed a pin-up girl, except for one."

"Plaxico Burris never put a bullet in his  butt, except for one."

"Donte Stallworth never killed a pedestrian while driving drunk, except for one."

Truth is, the Pats stomped one team and you can't even give them fair credit for that.  But in contrast, in the Giants' two losses, they were crushed by more points than the Pats were in their one loss, and you completely ignore the significance. Who has a bias?

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Chris we have agreed on many things, so I wont overreact you.  Like most times on here, people never really get what the next person is trying to say, due to them thinking about what they wanna say back.  One , I never said the officiating was a factor.  Go back and read it.  You made that up all by yourself.  I said we had lucky BREAKS.  There were 3 of them in the S.D. game. Please dont tell me I have to list them. Two, I was unaware of you making a statement that I was supposed to respond too.  This is MY thread and My opinion.  Three, I never called you a HOmer, so if you want to try on that shoe, dont blame me. Four, you are making me look good here, you wanna continue.  You just said that the Pats, the Pats, the Pats, you dont mention stats of other teams, and you said Pittsburgh has the 4th hardest division compared to us having the 3rd hardest.  Are you really using this as your argument, or are you just mad the Pats werent put # 1?  Pittsburgh plays with B.More and Cincy who swept the division last year.  Look, I dont have to explain myself to you.  I am not gonna argue cuz you are generally someone I agree with, and if you took off the blinders and stop putting words in my mouth, you'll find we probably agree aside from the Giants, but like I said, I watch every game, and I base it on that.  The BIlls are 0-7, I dont care how tough they play.  The same Way YOU dont care about who the Giants beat.  You cant have it both ways. I thought Mighty's comment was enough for me not be explaining myself to you.  You obviously think you know more than Football Outsiders too. What did I not answer?  Im not going into your conspiracy calls against the Steelers.  They won with a 3rd stringer, thats my answer, and the teams that the Giants beat, they beat them down, blowouts.  You can choose to ignore that we are 30th ranked against the pass and 30th in 3rd downs allowed if you want, but like I said, the minute we dont get turnovers this 'D' might be in trouble.
    Posted by patsfan76

But they are getting turnovers and they are getting them consistently.  That's not by accident. You cannot diminish their accomplishments and then give more weight to those of the Giants or Steelers.  You might as well write that the Chiefs would be losing if they didn't rush so well and defend so well. You are the one trying to have your cake and eat it too, in comparisons.

As for stats, I cited quite a few.  I know, because I was all over the NFL site stats pages.

Like the Ravens of 2000, I consider the Steelers a team that wins despite the QB. Your mentioning that they could win with Charlie Batch at 3rd string supports this. If anything, Big Ben has been a step down for the Steelers, from the little I have seen. He makes a lot of bad plays on the fly.

As for as bad officiating helping certain teams, have you noticed that bad officiating is the hot sub-text in the chat rooms and media this year? That's for a reason.  I introduced that aspect, because I consider it germane.  My point in the Charger game is that they played a cleaner game. I don't consider that luck.  That is taught.  

Did San Diego players make unusual blunders?  If made by the Pats or the Colts or several other teams' players, sure, yes.  But because San Diego players have a history of making such blunders under the current regime, I think it shows that the Pats capitalized on those mistakes better than some other teams. The coaches prepared them for San Diego to make mistakes and the players said as much after the victory. The Pats are winning with whatever other teams give them. That's what they did in their SB runs in 2001, 2003, 2004.

When teams like the Steelers win because of last-ditch, game-changing suspicious calls like in their Miami win (and not the only bad call to favor them in that match), one may legitimately question the success of such teams.  In my eyes, the Steelers have a strong D, but they should rightly have a record of 3-4, not 5-2. Such consideration is totally valid to the discussion of team ranking, surely more so than by how dominant a team is in victory.

Do I care or consider how the Giants have beaten teams? Yes.  I also consider the teams they have beaten. And I consider the teams that have beaten them and how badly the Giants have been beaten.  Why are you not doing the same thing?   By my count, the Pats have been man-handled once, and that was early in the season, with a team that has more rookies actively playing and starting than any other team.  The Giants have been manhandled twice, and worse each time. They don't have the rookie excuse. Considering the coach, it is not a leap to expect these Pats' rookies to play progressively better in each game, and the results seem to be proving it.  This D is much better than it was at the start of the season.  I don't think I am alone in thinking that this Pats team today handily beats the Jets today.  I can't wait for the re-match. I would concede that the passing attack has lost a statistical step post-Moss.  But intangibly, the O seems improved by the move and should only look better as that change is conditioned into the remaining offensive players. 

I can see we have both dug-in.  I will leave it at that.  But mark my words, you are going to catch a lot of flak by tonight.  I don't see you persuading too many people that your rankings are well-reasoned.  Let's face it - when you publicly rank teams, you invite criticism.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

"But mark my words, you are going to catch a lot of flak by tonight.  I don't see you persuading too many people that your rankings are well-reasoned.  Let's face it - when you publicly rank teams, you invite criticism." This is funny, you are the only one giving me shyt so far, and I have thick skin if you havent noticed by now. I have no problem putting my opinion out there for people to run thru the dirt while they hide behind screen names and never acutally start a post, just critisize others(not you)  I will be home smoking a fatty and watching Monday Night Football, so whatever happens tonight will not affect my great evening.  My opinion is Mine and noone can change it.  I have already showed you the national media's versions, so who is it exactly that I have to answer to on here?  The Voice of Reason, Russ, has already spoken.
    Posted by patsfan76

Hey, it's nothing personal.  This is just debate over a figurative couple of glasses of beer in the virtual sportbars. And I am not the only one rebuffing your rankings, just the only one backing up my rebuttal with details.

BTW, Peter King has the Pats at #1, and he is not exactly a Pats-lover...nor a Pats-hater, IMO.  Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin have the Pats below the Steelers and above the Giants. While I respect the opinion of Irvin, Sanders is a clown. None of them have the Giants near the top.

The problem with ranking the Pats D by pure stats is that they are a bend-don't-break D scheme. They will give up yards, then shut down a team in the red zone or make a take-away. (They failed at this when the old greats got too long in the tooth, but are able to succeed this way again with new, young players that can play 35 minutes and still force a 3-and-out or T/O to end the game.) How many teams make that stop on the one-yard line against Peterson? And I contend that the Pats made the other stop, too, but lost out in the initial and review calls.

With each week, the Pats D is progessively trending toward fewer points allowed, even while the offense has been less dominant post-Moss.  When you rank teams today, you have to consider that the Pats are getting stronger, while other contending teams are getting weaker or not keeping pace.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Skewer me if you want, but I think you could make an argument that other teams should be ranked ahead of the Pats, but clearly the Pats have earned the right to be at or close to the top of the list.  The record may say the Pats are the best team but statistically they're not.  It depends on if you put stock in statistics or whether you believe in straight on the field performance, and in either case there is enough to back your argument.

The Pats aren't being slighted if they're not #1 in every power ranking.  And even if they are being slighted, how can that be a bad thing from a motivational standpoint?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Oh, I love that they are largely being denied the top ranking. I love that almost nobody outside of N.E. is talking Mayo's incredible season. It works to the Pats' advantage, no doubt. Same goes for the Bucs and the Chiefs. Seems like simple winning is sooo passe'.

FYI, did anybody catch that the Rams were 200:1 odds against winning the SB.  When I heard that in September, I was jonesing because I was due some long-owed money but it is late coming.  I would gladly have plopped a few grand on them, knowing they had a new coach, a new stud QB and lot's of young, high-pick players... all aligned for a major turn-around. Yeah, probably won't happen. But at 200:1 a pay-off????

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts