My prediction for Pats first and second round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Re: My prediction for Pats first and second round

BamaPat: I think your trade scenarios are a defintely possibility--maybe not all of them, but each one is a reasonable chance.  We will trade picks now to stock up for next year, but maybe not like mad--from what I can tell, outside of Andrew Luck, the 2012 draft class isn't going to be as stacked as this years.

However, I disagree on the "best [position]" available picks.  It will be "best player w/ regard to our system" at that spot.

There's no way to predict what Belichick will do.  I would be ecstatic if we got these players:

17. Cameron Jordan.

28. Nate Solder

33. Jabaal Sheard/Akeem Ayers

60. James Carpenter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

This could be a different kind of a year for the Pats if, at least some of the reason for trading down historically, was talent vs. cost of player. The Pats know that there will be a rookie salary cap in place for these draftees whenever the CBA gets done so you can't just look at the Pats' draft history as the rules governing at least part of their draft strategy are changing.  The Pats always have been on the forefront of manipulating rules changes to their advantage and this year will be no exception.  I'm not saying that the Pats will trade-up into the mid/early 1st Round just that they might. 
    Although, having said that the Pats are on the forefront of change I have a feeling that the Pats will stay true to recent draft strategy and trade back a couple of slots from 17 for draft picks this year ( to be used to trade up later on in the lower rounds), they will trade their 28 pick altogether for a #1 and 4 next year, will trade their #33 pick for a QB hungry team for another # 1 next year  and mid round pick this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Why does everyone want to get rid of #28 and #33 for a similar pick next year and more average players this year? We need a few key players now.

#17 Watt or Jordan or Kerrigan
    #28  Watkins or Reed
    #33 Leshoure or Wilkerson
    #60 Carpenter or Ijalana

We need quality not quantity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

I see BB going after two maybe 3 guys high in the draft they are;
    Von Miller - for obvious reasons the only "true" 34 OLB
    Robert Quinn - pure animal
    Patrick Peterson - BB loves his corners

All three noted above will go with in the top 5 -10 and I seem to think BB will keep 17 and grab Watt, 33 will be Leshoure and the rest are going to be traded away for future picks later in life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang-on-hepsie. Show hang-on-hepsie's posts

I agree with you. If Quinn is available at #10 they'll make the deal with Washington (#17 & #60) and maybe their 5th or 6th round pick. If Washington is targeting a QB at #10 he will still be there at #17.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

NO 17 will be traded back to about 22 or 23 with a future pick in 2012.  No. 28 will be used for JJ Watt or Reed.  Number 22 or 23 will be Hayward or Smith.
    No. 33 will be traded back for a first next year and a third this year.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

It is more than conceivable that after the first round,and with a night to evaluate and ruminate,some team will believe that there is one player who slipped out of the first(and there is always a few players who do indeed slip)that they simply must have and the offer or offers for that pick(first in the second round)could well be equal to or even surpass by a bit what they would get for the 28th pick in the first round.Having nearly a full day to look at what happened on day one,desparation and/or desire will get the better of a few teams and the offers will come B.B.'s way.also there are two reasons,in my opinion,why B.B. may be somewht less interested in obtaining picks for next year's draft.First,the uncertainty surrounding the draft,free agency and a rookie salary cap(there is a 50-50 chance that this years draftees will come under such a salary cap(and the NFLPA's stance against a rookie salary cap in past years has always bewildered me in that with such a cap would put more money into the poskets of veteran players which makes all the sense in the world to a union)absolutely has to be a consideration.Second,with the caveat that they draft well this year,there very well could be a relatively small number of roster spot open prior to the 2012 season.I do feel that either the 28th or 33rd pick will be dealt but with an ephasis on additional picks in the years draft rather than acquiring multiple picks for the 2012 draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

I may not be a Pats fan, but it seems like BB's consistently shunned the mid- to late-first round pass rushers in favor of FAs and guys later in the draft.  But it hasn't worked lately, as Crable and the FAs you've brought in have failed.  Your team definitely needs a hit in this area, and one who won't take years to develop.  I absolutely see BB trading up for a pass-rusher this year, and Quinn would be perfect.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts