My Prediction for Rounds 1 and 2 for the Pat 2009 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from troyl. Show troyl's posts

My Prediction for Rounds 1 and 2 for the Pat 2009 Draft

I’ve been following the draft guru’s a lot this year and I’ve decided most seem way off on the Pat’s needs and who they will draft.  There is no way they take a guy like Clay Matthews in the 1st round – 1 year of service at USC and little pass rush potential at the big league level.  Anyway here is my assessment of how I see the first two rounds going for the Pats.  I expect them to try and trade their #47 and #58 into Round 1 for 2010, if they get any takers.  Otherwise I see the draft playing out like this:

#23    Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
    #34    Clint Sintim, OLB, Virgina
    #47    Jaron Gilbert, DE, San Jose St.
    #58    Brandon Tate, WR, NC

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Re: My Prediction for Rounds 1 and 2 for the Pat 2009 Draft

Meredith is not a 1st Round prospect, #47 is right for him, though I prefer we look elsewhere

Trade up and get Maualuga (#23. #58) and get 3rd rounder next year

#15 Rey Maualuga
    #34 Connor Barwin
    #47 Jarron Gilbert
    #89 Rashard Johnson
    #97 Gerald Cadogan

Then Draft

Rd 4 (KC, for 4th, 6th, 7th) Rames Barden
    Rd 5C Morgan Trent
    Rd 6C Andy Kemp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

23 – Darius Butler, DB
    34 – Jarron Gilbert, DL
    47 – Clint Sintim, LB
    58 – Pat White, QB/WR
    89 – Chip Vaughn, S
    97 – Antoine Caldwell, G/C
    124 – Jasper Brinkley, ILB
    170 – Johnny Knox, WR
    199 – Sammie Lee Hill, DL
    207 – Devin Moore, RB
    234 – David Johnson, H-B/TE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from taowen1. Show taowen1's posts

23 – Darius Butler, DB 34 – Jarron Gilbert, DL 47 – Clint Sintim, LB 58 – Pat White, QB/WR 89 – Chip Vaughn, S 97 – Antoine Caldwell, G/C 124 – Jasper Brinkley, ILB 170 – Johnny Knox, WR 199 – Sammie Lee Hill, DL 207 – Devin Moore, RB 234 – David Johnson, H-B/TE
    Posted by KyleCleric2

LOVE it. If this happened, I would party.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

#15 Rey Maualuga
    #34 Connor Barwin
    #47 Jarron Gilbert
    #89 Rashard Johnson
    #97 Gerald Cadogan 
    Rd 4 (KC, for 4th, 6th, 7th) Rames Barden
    Rd 5C Morgan Trent
    Rd 6C Andy Kemp
    Posted by titletownfan

Agree mostly but I say they trade #34 for a first round pick next year and #89 for a second next year, something like that.  We'll get at least an extra first and second in the 2010 draft.  Ever since Deion Branch bailed on us we've had extra picks and keep trading them for future picks.  BB will keep it up to indefinitely preserve the dynasty. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

@23. Darius Butler, CB...the more videos I watch, the more convinced I am that he's a #1 CB in the NFL. He not only has track speed, he has football speed. He can also pla WR, and special teams. Would help immediately, and allow Shawn Springs to move to Safety.

@34. Larry English,OLB...immediate help at rushing the QB. That's what we need now. If you take a developmental prospect, by the time he's ready to contribute, he's a free agent.

@47. Brian Robiskie,WR....he's a better Gaffney. Moss and Galloway are older, and thus injury prone. Polished recevier who would make an immediate impact.

@58. Herman Johnson, OG..the definition of an immovable object. Biggest player in the whole draft @ 6-7, 370LBS (at least). Quick for his size, just needs Scarnecchia's boot camp to straighten him out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

You better trade up past 16 if you want to get Maualuga people.

So far, clerics top 2 picks are a possibility IMO. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Well. your fellow Bolt fans seem split fairly evenly between Tyson Jackson, Rey Maualuga, Britton/Oher, and some others (one of the two RBs, Malcolm Jenkins, Brian Cushing).

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from troyl. Show troyl's posts

I like Bulter, and the kid from LSU  Herman Johnson.  However, I think CB is overated as a need on the team, and I don't expect them to draft one unless all the OLB and OL they are interested in are off the board.  The took two CBs in last year's draft high, and did not address offensive line, so I see that as a top need.  If Ray Magula falls, I could see him being the pick.  If Bulter falls to 34, I could see picking him up there.  I don't think Conner Barwin is on their radar at either 23 or 34.  Maybe one of the last two 2nd round picks if they don't trade them.  Either way, I think they need a receiver and offensive linemen with 2 of their top 4 pics. 

The best case for us it if there is a run on Quaterbacks early in the 1st round, with all 3 of the top callers going before pick #23, and a run on running backs with Beanie wells, the georgia kid and possibly one other going before #23.  That would leave us several top offensive tackles and linebackers to consider at 23.  If a top tackle falls I say we pick him over a linebacker, and then get a linebacker at 34.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Doesn't mean I think all these guys will end up as a Patriot, I'm sure a 2nd and other picks will get traded but this is who I think they will take if they keep that pick.

#23 (traded, for 2009 2nd, 2009 6th, 2010 1st from Cowboys for #23 2009 and 3rd 2010)
    #34 Michael Johnson DE/OLB 
    #47 William Beatty OT 
    #51 (from Dallas) Jarron Gilbert DE
    #58 Patrick Chung S
    #89 Cody Brown DE/OLB
    #97c Jasper Brinkley ILB
    Was going to stop at 3 rounds, what the hell
    #124 Bruce Johnson CB
    #170c Johnny Knox WR
    #197 (from Dallas) Marlon Lucky RB
    #199 Patrick Turner WR
    #207c Alex Boone OT
    #234 John Phillips TE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My hot list

WR Brandon Gibson couldn’t run during the senior bowl, during the combine and during his pro day.  The guy admits he has a hammy.  I’d bet a nickel that his hamstring clears up by September and never comes back.  A bargain as a fifth rounder, perhaps a fourth.

CB Jairus Byrd, another guy that couldn’t run on pro day.  Ask him why.  Hammy?  Pick him up at the end of the third round at #98.

Michael Johnson, DE/OLB/Elephant, huge gamble as he takes plays off, but so does Randy Moss.  Worth a #34 pick easily.  Notably stronger than Ty Warren, can fly like a younger Adalius Thomas, reasonable hips in coverage, can swat passes and hold tackles at arm’s length like Paul Bunyan.  Should be unstoppable by his third year.

Everett Pedescleaux, DE, a pretty big small school project who can fill in for Ty Warren someday.  Grab in the late 4th round.

Pat White at #89.  He’ll be a role player and not a real pocket passer, but on third and 1 he’ll frighten defenses with his ability to run outside of the cornerback’s containment on one play, then throw the bomb on the next third down.  Give Brady the ball normally.

I have no opinion at all on offensive linemen.  BB looks for brainpower.  I can't find any info on this talent on the web. 

Expect Wall Street trading volume from the Patriots war room, probably in the upward and outward directions.  Tune in around 6:00 or you'll miss the first trade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Doesn't mean I think all these guys will end up as a Patriot, I'm sure a 2nd and other picks will get traded but this is who I think they will take if they keep that pick. #23 (traded, for 2009 2nd, 2009 6th, 2010 1st from Cowboys for #23 2009 and 3rd 2010) #34 Michael Johnson DE/OLB  #47 William Beatty OT  #51 (from Dallas) Jarron Gilbert DE #58 Patrick Chung S #89 Cody Brown DE/OLB #97c Jasper Brinkley ILB Was going to stop at 3 rounds, what the hell #124 Bruce Johnson CB #170c Johnny Knox WR #197 (from Dallas) Marlon Lucky RB #199 Patrick Turner WR #207c Alex Boone OT #234 John Phillips TE
    Posted by Pats7393
    I could live with this plan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

I live in Atlanta.  Johnson was a big underachiever throughout his college career.  Great measurables but BB likes football players. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I like all different types of players in this years draft but just because I like them doesn't necessarily equate to BB liking them.I do see them trading with someone only because 11 College draft choices are not going to make this team.I don't think they'll trade the #23,but that doesn't mean much they could very well trade it if their draft board indicates that the value is not there..However if even one of the top 15 players as projected by BB are on the board at #23 he will not trade out.If it comes down to a hodge podge of players with roughly the same value on BB's board then he might just trade out.The Draft is the most subjective event in all of Professional sports and each draft choice is viewed differently by just about everyone involved either fans or team representatives.Just before the Patriots draft I will make my best guess as to whom they will choose,its far more of an exact science that way but even then without input from BB I'll just be guessing based upon the players being selected before the Patriots choice and whose left on what I perceive to be on BB's board.I'll open my forum site here on Boston.com
    at approximately 6:00pm on the 25th I sure hope we all will be present...Go Patriots! At this point in time I'm leaning towards Matthews but like I said it'll change if the Pats don't like the value.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I live in Atlanta.  Johnson was a big underachiever throughout his college career.  Great measurables but BB likes football players. 
    Posted by celtfan

I do too and yes he's a great tallent if he performed to what his size speed strenth make us think he should be able to.  But I think some of the players the Pats have taken have had the same tag to them before and BB has been able to the the most out of them.  This guys messurables might be too good to pass up, I picked him because I think Connor Barwin will be off the board by 34. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Pats7393 I like your posts pertaining to the draft you are innovative with thinking that BB will trade out,so if you are not busy on the 25th check in and join the discussion when its the Patriots turn to draft,it's been approximated that they will draft at around 6:30,I'll start a discussion if no one else has at 6:00 so we can rehash whats already taken place.Lets hope everything falls in our teams favor!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Add TE Cornelius Ingram to my hot list.  BB just took a look at the guy.  If he's actually becoming healthy, he's going at the end of the second round.  If he flunked his physical for now, maybe he can show up as an undrafted free agent.

Excuse me for picking all sorts of guys that no one has heard of.  That's how the actual draft will go, except I expect any guys picked by the Patriots war room to look pretty good afterwards.

Sections
Shortcuts